Chapter 12: How THEY fell in love

Keeping Secrets

Hongbin's POV

            It's not that I didn't notice that Hakyeon and Taekwoon were madly in love with each other. In fact, I probably knew before they had even come to terms with it themselves. I just really didn't want to stick my nose in other people's business. Hakyeon and I had been trainees longer than the others, and when I had run away from being a trainee because of fear, he had dragged me back without batting his eye. I knew him the best and I felt indebted to him because I wouldn't be where I am now without him. So when this tall, mysterious Jung Taekwoon walked in on one of our practices, I could tell that Hakyeon was smitten right away. He literally had hearts in his eyes as he was staring at the man. And of course, their personalities surprisingly complemented each other so well, which didn't do much to help my hyung with his deepening feelings.

            As I got to know Taekwoon, I could tell right away that he cared about all the members in his own way, but he had a special look when it came to Hakyeon. For a long time, no one could touch him other than Hakyeon and he didn't open up to anyone else. It was clear that Hakyeon was special to Taekwoon. Their feelings were so obvious to me that I thought it was crystal clear to everyone else and to themselves. But I guess not everyone was as perceptive as I was. Hyuk was too young to notice and much too terrified of Taekwoon at the beginning to see the development. Jaehwan and Ravi, on the other hand, were usually in their own worlds.

            I turned a blind eye because it wasn't my place nor did I really care. If they wanted me to know, they would tell me. I already had enough on my plate trying to sing songs not quite in my register and perfecting performances. I was going to stay out of this. I didn't care what they were to each other, whether they were aware or not, whether they were a thing or not. They were my friends and my members. End of story.

            Until I walked in on them.

            "OH MY GO-- NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!" I shrieked.

            I had gone to work out in the morning and decided to go grocery shopping right after. However, I realized when I was changing at the gym that I had left my carefully written grocery list on the counter. Since I passed the dorm to the store anyway, I decided to pick it up then head out to do my errand. What I didn't expect to find was Hakyeon sitting on the kitchen table with his legs wrapped around Taekwoon's waist as they made out hungrily.

            "OH MY GOSH WE EAT ON THAT!" I yelled, bewildered more at the fact that I had innocently been enjoying meals on a tainted, dirty table for who knows how long.

            Hurriedly, they jumped apart. Taekwoon turning around, his ears a dark red. Hakyeon straightened his clothes out and fixed his hair, flustered.

            "Oh H-h-hongbin." he laughed nervously. "I thought you were going to the store right after the gym."

            I groaned, closing my eyes, willing myself to erase what I had just witnessed.

            "H-Hongbin...I umm..." Hakyeon bounced on his toes, anxiously. "We umm..."

            I'm pretty sure he nudged Taekwoon because I heard their hushed bickering as I tried to compose myself. Never in a million years did I want to see that.

            "Just." I spoke, and they both immediately tensed up. "Give me that piece of paper on the counter."

            Taekwoon timidly handed it to me.

            "Carry on then." I tried to be cool about it, but in actuality my head was reeling. There had been more to the googly eyes and unnecessary brushes of their hands, their odd closeness when sitting next to each other. Even though I suspected it, it was still bewildering to think that my two hyungs, my two friends, my two members were in some sort of actual relationship. I walked blankly to the door, only to be stopped by a gentle grip on my arm.

            "Hongbin-ah." Hakyeon called out worriedly. "I -"

            "Oh just spit out what you have to say hyung." I snapped. I was tired of his stammering and being shy didn't suit him.

            "Don't tell anyone...please?" Hakyeon begged, his eyes full of anxiety and fear.

            I sighed, wanting nothing but to go about my day normally now. "I won't. Now please let me do groceries."

            "No. Let Taekwoon do the shopping. We need to talk." Hakyeon squeezed my arm.

            Taekwoon nodded and took the piece of paper out of my hand.

            "I'd feel more comfortable doing the shopping and you guys can finish--"

            "This is no time for your sass, Lee Hongbin." Hakyeon blurted out. His fear and anxiety had bubbled up into annoyance.

            "Oh? I suppose it's make out time on the kitchen table?" I responded. I wasn't sure why I was angry in return. I felt awkward. I also felt a little deceived that I had to find out this way. I was also furious that they had been so careless.

            "Hongbin." Taekwoon stated, trying to scold ME about being rude to his precious Hakyeon.

            "No. No." I snapped, grabbed the piece of paper back from my hyung. "Both of you sit down. No one is going to go shopping. We're all going to talk so I can figure out what the is going on here since you two seem to be a little reckless lately."

            "Lately?" Hakyeon mumbled, confused.

            Taekwoon dragged him to the couch. They sat on different chairs.

            "Oh for goodness sake. You can sit next to each other." I rolled my eyes. I knew they were on edge with me, especially now that I had their careers and relationship in my hands. Neither of them budged, just fidgeted uncomfortably.

            I sighed. "I'm not surprised. But I am disappointed."

            "D-disappointed?" Hakyeon frowned.

            "You two are being reckless!" I reprimanded. "If I had an inkling something was happening, I'm pretty sure the manager and other staff will notice it eventually too."

            "You had an inkling?" Hakyeon commented, clearly confused by the situation.

            "Um yes?" I raised an eyebrow. "How long have we known each other? I know you were um preoccupied with your feelings, but I sure have not been blind."

            "Why didn't you ask me?" Hakyeon cast his eyes down guiltily.

            "It wasn't my business." I shrugged. "And I wasn't going to make assumptions out of an inkling."

            "And now?" Hakyeon asked worriedly.

            "What do you mean?"

            "Are you...going to tell?" he muttered.

            I stared at them incredulously. "Why would I do that?"

            Relief washed over them at my response.

            "Did you REALLY think I was going to sell you guys out?" I was offended.

            Hakyeon bit his lip. "Hongbin, you're very straight laced at times."

            "Only when it has direct consequences that outweigh the benefits." I replied bluntly, already wishing I had just gone to the store without the list.

            "Thank you." Taekwoon genuinely replied.

            I nodded, standing up. I had already seen too much.

            "Really. Thank you Hongbin." Hakyeon looked at me with his motherly expression.

            We all knew that now that I was keeping their secret, I was their accomplice of sorts. If they ever were discovered, I would also face the dire consequences. But who was I to stop two people who clearly loved each other, who worked so hard alongside me to debut, just because our company was trying to keep us "pure" and "available" for our fan's fantasies? Which - being a big fan myself- is a misconception. Yes, fans would be heartbroken at first if their idols were dating. But deep down, if the idol is honest and shows that they trust their fans, it'll blow over soon. It's always when the news is a surprise and heard from tabloids first, that anger is elicited cause it felt like a betrayal.

            And for a while, things were fine. We all went about our days as if I had never witnessed anything and they were a little more cautious about their closeness. I did, however, start cleaning every possible surface before placing items and food on them. Just in case.

            However, things began to change as Hakyeon began getting more schedules and projects. They hardly saw each other anymore. Taekwoon began hanging out with me and the others more, opening up to us, laughing along with our antics. He would wait for Hakyeon on the couch until he came home at first but as he came home later and later, he would retire to his room blankly. I could tell Taekwoon was sad and whenever I saw him, Hakyeon was tired. They had grown distant because of the separation, but I could also see that they began dancing around each other. Hakyeon became hesitant to approach Taekwoon and Taekwoon stopped leaning on him. At first, I saw it as a good thing that Taekwoon was becoming more honest and independent, more comfortable with us, but I could see that Hakyeon was unsettled by this. When news of LR was received, Hakyeon was horrified. I had been the one to tell him, but I didn't think I'd be the first when I nonchalantly brought it up.

            "Wh-what?" he stared at me as he set up for radio show.

            "Taekwoon hyung and Wonshik-ah are going to be the first subunit?" I raised an eyebrow. "Wait. He didn't tell you?"

            Hakyeon cast his eyes down. I exhaled, getting the answer to my question.

            "Well, I'm going to go hyung. Good lu--" I wanted to make my escape, knowing Hakyeon was on the verge of spilling his worries.

            "Do you think he loves me?" he blurted out.

            Too late, Lee Hongbin.

            "What? Of course he does! It's so obvious!" I was in awe. How could they be blind?

            "I thought so at first. He treated my special. He let me close." Hakyeon swung his feet, still gazing at the ground. "But we never said it to each other..."

            "Wait - you NEVER confessed your feelings?!!" I bellowed.

            Hakyeon shushed me. "No. I wanted him to say it first."

            "But you KNOW he never really SAYS anything." I rolled my eyes.

            "But I'm tired of always being the first to initiate anything!"

            "Did you tell him that?"

            "No! That's like ASKING him to initiate. I want him to do it on his own cause he wants to." Hakyeon huffed.

            I rubbed my temples. "This is why communication is SO important."

            "Hongbin-ah...can you --"

            "No. I told you from the beginning, I'll keep the secret but I don't want to get involved. You're both my members and my friends. I don't want to choose sides and I surely don't want to be the middle man. You two should face each other and talk it out." I sternly stated.

            "But what if this was it? Just...physical? Just based out of need?" Hakyeon murmured.

            "Then it's better to know that now than to delude yourself." I bluntly commented.

            Hakyeon stared at me like I had just told him a scary story.

            "What?"

            "No, no, no. I don't want to know." he shook his head, terrified at the thought. "I'm going to make him say it somehow."

            "How're you going to do that?"

            "Be the best boyfriend ever of course!" Hakyeon grinned.

            And he really was. I helped stay up to pack banners and stickers that he would pass out for LR promotions. He went and bought the CDs himself and publicized his support openly. I simply visited them at the beach where they were filming, but Hakyeon went above and beyond. But his efforts didn't get the response he wanted and he retreated into his doubt.

            Taekwoon and Ravi became increasingly close, which was expected because of the excessive amount of time they spent with each other. They were also quite alike if you got to know them. They were both shy, overly passionate about their work, and although they had tough exteriors, they wouldn't quite hurt anybody purposely. Once they were able to get to know each other better, I think they realized they had these similarities all along and became comfortable. Hakyeon was jealous and I knew he decided to play into the game when he began talking about the trainees. I knew what he was doing but I also knew he wouldn't listen to me if I told him he was stupid for doing it. So I hoped that the consequences would present themselves soon and a resolution could be found.

            But then, Taekwoon also joined the fray.

            I went to watch practices secretly to keep an eye on the situation. I know I told myself not to get involved, but I had a gut feeling it was getting out of hand. I was especially worried about this new trainee who was caught in the middle of something way over her head. She had enough to worry about; she didn't need to accidentally get caught up in a scandal. I found her almost immediately when I peeked in on practice. She set off the same confident vibe as Hakyeon when she danced. Her moves were fluid and natural as if she knew the choreography by heart already. She was as amazing as Hakyeon claimed to be, and she was pretty. I could tell she had no feelings for Hakyeon. She wasn't nervous and openly, without qualms.

            But what she did have were feelings for Taekwoon. I gulped as Taekwoon stepped out of his room to watch Hakyeon. They were in one of those between truce stages of their relationship. They still acted like a couple, albeit hesitantly and clearly with unspoken doubts. Hakyeon smiled and Taekwoon blushed as normal. Then I caught the trainee freezing up with a blank look on her face. I stared at her wide-eyed. She never messes up! Then I caught her blushing as she stared at the mirror. Following her line of sight, I realized Taekwoon was positioned right behind her. My heart dropped immediately.

            This was getting ridiculous. I exhaled and rubbed my temples. Hakyeon had been bothering me to take over his dance practices while he was away, so he wouldn't have to cancel training. I had adamantly refused, cause well, I wasn't confident in my dancing skills at all. He stated that ______ was going to help me and all I had to do was supervise, but I still wasn't keen on the idea.

            I sighed, knowing what I had to do. I closed my eyes, fueling my determination then peeked back into the practice room at ______, Taekwoon, and Hakyeon.

            It was time to take matters into my own hands. 

 


Author's Note: Poor Hongbin x'D Has this ever happened to you guys before? Or have you ever been in the middle of two of your friends fighting? And whose side are you on in this Neo stalemate?