Dance Practice

Keeping Secrets

             If there was one person who could shake the hearts of the Hakyeon-infected females by simply walking into a room, it was Lee Hongbin.

            Cha Hakyeon had already left the country to film his latest drama and so, leaving me and his fellow member, Hongbin, in charge of depressed female trainees. They were deflated and lethargic, not looking forward to a class without their beloved instructor. I sighed, feeling unsettled about their reactions. What if they just flat out refuse to work? I furrowed my brows, arguing with myself. No, they wouldn't risk not impressing Hakyeon. That's right! I'll use the power of love to encourage them!  I rolled my eyes as the corny phrase flitted across my mind. If worst comes to worst, maybe I'll go for that strategy.

            I had just finished tying my shoe when I heard the door open. The girls looked over and immediately sprung up, coming back to life seemingly. I looked up from the ground and found Hongbin smiling so brightly that his eyes had formed into crescent shapes. The girls gasped and hurried to look productive as they tried to subtly check their appearance in the mirrors.

            I snorted. Unbelievable.

            "Yah." my best friend nudged me. "IT'S HONGBIN SUNBAENIM! THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I'M SEEING HIM THIS CLOSE! OH MY GOSH! HE'S SO HANDSOME! What do we do??!"

            "Wait til he opens his mouth." I chuckled, remembering all the witty comments that spurred out of it in our first meeting alone.

            "What?" my best friend whipped her head towards me.

            Woops. After training practices were supposed to be a secret.

            "Yo." Hongbin stepped in front of me as I worked on my other lace to avoid my best friend's questioning look.

            I glanced up and squinted playfully. "Who are you? I can't see you, you're practically sparkling."

            Hongbin rolled his eyes and outstretched his hand to help me up. "Haha."

            I chuckled and grabbing his hand, stood up. As I was dusting myself, I glanced around at all the eyes plastered onto our substitute instructor's physique with infatuation.

            "You should probably introduce yourself." I whispered. "Their eyes are drilling into your skin. Can't you feel it?"

            "Well, if you've been an idol for so long, you learn to ignore the feeling like you're being watched... cause you usually are." Hongbin chuckled. "But you're right, I should probably tell 'em what I'm doing here."

            "How terrifying." I shivered.

            "Well," he awkwardly clapped as he turned to the others. "Umm hi."

            "Annyeonghaseyo." the trainees timidly bowed and greeted in return.

            "Umm I'm Hongbin." he waved. "Clearly, N-hyung isn't here...or even in this country. Anyways, I'm filling in for him, so please take care of me!"

            He bowed and chuckled. "I'm not as good of a dancer as N-hyung so please bear with me."

            My best friend started clapping immediately and the others followed suit. Hongbin grinned and blushed, scratching his head nervously. I smiled gently. I guess he does have some weak points after all. He glanced over at me, his eyes asking for help, and I laughed.

            "How about we show Hongbin sunbaenim how exercises are run?" I chimed in and he smiled in relief.

            The girls grinned brightly as they glanced at each other.

            "Who wants to volunteer to lead the exercises?" Hongbin asked, looking around the room expectantly.

            I bit my lip, amused. Even with Hakyeon, no one dared hold the spotlight, out of fear of messing up in front of their crush.

            "I'll do it." I raised my hand, unable to bear the silence and awkwardness for long.

            "Alright ____! You'll lead and I'll make sure everyone's stretching and not slacking off!" Hongbin grinned as he marched to the back.

            I heard murmuring as I walked to the stereo system, probably conversations about how Hongbin knew my name. I pressed play and took my spot in front. As soon as the music began, I started counting off stretches. What I hadn't warned Hongbin about was how some of the trainees sought attention. Hakyeon had already caught on, but I was curious as to how the normally perceptive Visual would handle obvious seduction tactics.

            "Is this right, sunbaenim?" one of the trainees asked, her stretching stance clearly wrong.

            I watched from the mirror, curiously. To my surprise, Hongbin turned red and looked around.

            "Uhh your back leg needs to be straightened and your hands up a little higher. Straighten up your back and lift your chin." he instructed, glancing back at me to compare.

            The girl made a slight attempt to fix herself. "Ahh I can't see myself. Can you help me fix it?"

            "I-I-uh..." Hongbin got flustered. "I-I guess."

            He shyly moved her arms above her head, only lightly touching them with two fingers.

            "My leg too?" the girl looked at him with puppy eyes.

            I chuckled, amused. Out of all the reactions I had expected from him, this was far from it. Hakyeon was comfortable fixing his students, even if he had to hug them from behind to model the move or kneel down to straightening their legs with his own hands. But Hongbin clearly, was most definitely not.

            "Hongbin sunbaenim." I called and his head immediately shot towards me, panicked. "It seems a lot of them are slacking off. Shall I help you fix them?"

            He smiled gratefully and nodded. "If you would, please."

            "I'm sure you're all familiar with the stretches without a model. I'll count them off." I instructed.

            Immediately, everyone snapped into the proper positions.

            I passed by Hongbin and smirked at him teasingly, earning a glare from him.

            "You could've just used your foot to straighten her leg you ." I whispered softly as we crossed paths.

            He slightly stuck his foot out as I took a step forward, causing me to stumble a bit. He laughed, which he subtly turned into a cough, as I glared at him. As the session went on, Hongbin got more comfortable with leading the class and I stepped back to let him. The girls earnestly wanted to impress him so they were taking in all of his statements, regardless of how confusing some of his explanations were.

            "Umm so for this move, you're going to put one leg out --your left leg. And as you slide to your left, it's like you're elbowing a bad guy with your left elbow at the same time. Then you drag your right leg with you as you move to the left." he fumbled out as he demonstrated.

            I chuckled and gave him an encouraging nod. Suddenly, a snort was heard from the back of the classroom. Everyone turned around, wondering who had reacted offensively to his genuine efforts. I turned pale. Standing in the back of the practice room was none other than Jung Taekwoon.

            "Hyung!" Hongbin called out, annoyed. "Why're you here?"

            "I was just on my way to my room, but I thought it'd be interesting to watch your first class as a dance teacher." Leo smirked, clearly taunting Hongbin.

            "Well, we can't have a teacher who's good at dance but won't say anything now can we?" Hongbin sassed back.

            Leo scoffed. "Carry on. Your explanation was quite descriptive. Tell me more about this bad guy you're elbowing."

            I giggled and soon, all eyes were on me. My eyes widened as I straightened up and found Taekwoon's eyes studying me curiously. He smiled, happy someone appreciated his joke, then turned to Hongbin, waiting. Hongbin shook his head, clearly disappointed in me, but glanced over at his hyung.

            "Well if you want to come up here, I can demonstrate them on you, hyung."

            Leo chuckled and nodded, satisfied with the banter. "Fighting."

            With that, he floated away into his room. I exhaled in relief along with the rest of fellow trainees, but for an entirely different reason. While they were afraid of the quiet man's presence, I was merely breath taken and flustered by him. Hongbin shook his head towards me and I rolled my eyes to show him I could care less about his disapproval of my behaviors.

            "How about we take a 5 minute break?" he suggested and everyone agreed.

            I walked to my bag to grab my water bottled and he was on my tail.

            "Can I help you?" I questioned without turning around.

            "Very smooth seduction skill." he chuckled. "Giggle at his not funny joke."

            "I thought it was quite funny, thank you very much." I sat down and gulped down water. "And let me guess, girls aren't your strong suit, hm?"

            "What?" Hongbin asked.

            "Oh come on. You were practically shaking out of nervousness when you had to fix someone's stance!" I teased.

            "Was not!"

            I rolled my eyes. "Oh come on. Don't be shy that you're shy when it comes to actually touching girls."

            Hongbin blushed. "I just don't think it's appropriate if it's not with someone you like."

            I blinked at him. I didn't expect him to answer so honestly.

            "You know I'm just teasing." I smiled, slightly embarrassed. "It's okay to have that mentality. It's kind of refreshing to hear it."

            Hongbin grumbled and sat next to me, swiping my water bottle from my grasp.

            "Oh? You're going to share an indirect kiss with me?" I teased.

            He chuckled. "Oh please, like I'd want the germs." he opened his mouth and skillfully drank without touching my bottle.

            I grinned. "How about I'll do the fixing to save your purity and you just focus on teaching and modeling in the front?"

            "I can model." he returned my grin cheekily.

            I shook my head and snorted at his pun. Suddenly, a shiver ran down my spine and I glanced over to see all eyes were angrily fixed on me from all corners of the room. I stood up, blushing as I realized we were being awfully chummy in our own little corner. Hongbin glanced up at me confused.

            "L-let's get back to it!" I announced, flustered.

            Hongbin nodded and took his place in the front grinning widely, more confident now that he didn't have to worry about being expected to fix someone's positioning. I watched him, even more confused about what kind of person Hongbin was.

            As I stood in the back, keeping an eye on anyone falling behind to help them out, Leo's door slid open. I glanced over to see him staring at me and my heart began racing. I looked behind me to check if his gaze was directed at them instead. There was no one. Mesmerized, I locked eyes with him again as we studied each other curiously.

            "____________" Hongbin's voice calling me snapped me back from my staring contest.

            "Deh." I answered instinctively as I turned to the front.

            "Please focus." Hongbin smirked as the other trainees giggled at me being reprimanded.

            "Deh..." I sighed, glancing back at the now empty doorway.

            Was I hallucinating ? Or was Taekwoon sunbaenim really looking at me?