Chapter 3: Groceries

Keeping Secrets

Surprisingly, as anxious as Hongbin seemed by the way his grip tightened around the motorcycle handle, he was a pretty decent driver.

            "I'm impressed." I complimented him as I handed him his helmet back.

            "I'm glad." Hongbin rolled his eyes. "So here's the grocery list. It'd be easier if we split up and do it."

            "No way." I shrugged defiantly. I knew we had just met but it was already fun pushing his buttons. As I had hoped, Hongbin glanced at me incredulously.

            "I'm supposed to be watching how an idol shops. I can't miss this opportunity!" I tried to say it in a less sarcastic manner than what I intended, but Hongbin scowled right away.

            "Seriously?" he sighed. "If I get caught with you, I'm claiming you were a sasaeng fan."

            "Be my guest. I'll make sure to take a strand of your hair before the cops get away at least." I continued.

            He huffed, defeated then went on to recite the grocery list to me.

            "Then you at least push the cart."

            "Yes, sunbaenim." I mocked.

            "I don't see why Hakyeon-ah likes you." Hongbin shook his head.

            "He says he likes my sass and that I'd give you a run for your money." I cackled, counting the number of times Hakyeon told me I needed to meet Hongbin and how well he thought we'd get along.

            Hongbin snorted and as if he had read my mind stated, "I know. He told me we'd get along but it seems we might just end up killing each other."

            "Oh no." I shook my head grinning. "I'd never think about harming my sunbaenim."

            "Are you just going to sass me all day or are you going to help?" Hongbin raised an eyebrow as we almost passed the carts.

            I chuckled and hurried to grab one, following him absent mindedly. I had never shopped in this grocery store. I was only a trainee so I still lived at home, since it was only a few bus stops away from Jellyfish. When you both weren't in a sassy mood, which had dissipated once free samples came into view, you were surprised to find that Hakyeon was right -- you two got along really well.

            "Oo there's portable hand sanitizers!" You rushed. "I LOVE these. They smell so good."

            "You like these too!" Hongbin's eyes widened. "My members always make fun of me for carrying it around."

            "Oh I don't go anywhere without it. The practice room only gets cleaned once a week if no one takes initiative and if we all go to eat together after --" I shivered.

            "RIGHT?" Hongbin exclaimed. "I complained about that too back when I was trainee. Luckily, we have our own now. I try to implement a cleaning schedule."

            "If only I had that much pull." I shook my head. "But everyone looks at me like I'm crazy."

            Hongbin laughed. "I know that feeling. The laziest one is Hakyeon-ah."

            "SERIOUSLY." I clap my hands, understanding completely. "When I ask him to assign cleaning duty for the practice room, he just waves it off."

            Hongbin nodded. "He's the worst when it comes to cleaning. Since he's so busy nowadays, I take his shift, and he can't be any more ecstatic."

            "Ahh Veggie straws and Smart popcorn!" I called out, the familiar bags catching my eye.

            Hongbin shook his head in disapproval.

            "Everything is fine in moderation." I stated firmly. "And this is a good alternative to Cheese Balls that Ken- sunbaenim wanted."

            Hongbin raised his eyebrow, skeptically.

            "Just trust me." I nodded and stuffed it into the cart. "He'll be upset at first but stuff it into his mouth and he'll be in love."

            Hongbin snorted. "How are you doing under his training?"

            I blushed. "Uh I'm decent."

            Hongbin laughed. "I guess you aren't a complete class pet then."

            I rolled my eyes. "It's only cause most of the trainees are in love with Hakyeon Oppa."

            "Oh? You're not?" My statement seemed to have lit the light bulb over Hongbin's head. He stared at me with those extremely wide eyes.

            "Uh... no...?" I furrowed my brow. Why was he so excited?

            "Oh so that must mean you have a thing for Leo-hyung then." he grinned.

            "Wh-what?" I stammered. "That's ridiculous. I've never even had a full conversation with him!"

            "But you WANT to. That's why you went all out in dance practice today when he came. AND why you were so hesitant on leaving with me." Hongbin stated confidently.

            I couldn't help that my face was turning red. No one had ever noticed, save my best friend who I had confided in so she didn't misunderstand my closeness with our handsome dance instructor. The number of times we've seen each other were so few and even then, we had never spoken. As I contemplated an excuse, Hongbin's lips curled up into a smirk.

            "I'm right so don't try to lie to me." he stated. "I could care less about your crush. I just thought you acted curiously and since you and Hakyeon-ah were so close, I figured that was a more reasonable choice for your affection."

            I was sure I was as red as the tomatoes beside me. Well, the secret was out, so I did the next best thing I could do. I grabbed Hongbin's collar and pulled him into the nearest aisle. I have no idea if I was threatening, standing a foot and a half shorter than him, but I tried.

            "Don't you dare tell ANYONE!" I hissed.

            He was slightly taken aback at first, but soon was amused.

            "Sure shortie." he ruffled my hair. "It's nothing to be ashamed of though. Leo hyung has a lot of fans."

            I let go of him quickly. Oh, he thought I was a big fan. "Right! I mean- I just don't want it to seem like weird, cause you know you're all my sunbaenims and what not..." I tried to play it off.

            Hongbin stood up straight and grinned. "Of course."

            I exhaled and stepped away from him, embarrassed about my defensiveness.

            "But..." Hongbin stepped forward and loomed over me. "if you have a serious crush on Leo-hyung, you should stop now."

            I glanced up at him, surprised at his darkened expression. "What??"

            "I'm saying, don't even try to seduce Leo hyung or THINK about liking him as more than a fan."

            "Why?" My eyes widened, terrified at the seriousness of Hongbin's tone.

            He chuckled, stepping back and I realized I had been holding my breath waiting for a response. He glared at me with a knowing and scary expression, similar to ones he used during their Voodoo Doll music video. I gulped.

            "You're going to regret it."

            He walked out of the aisle to our cart. Now it was my turn to stare at him with wide eyes as he strutted away. Nonchalantly, he turned around and called to me.

            "Well, I'm going to leave you if you're just going to gawk at me like that."

            I shook my head and ran over to him. He chuckled and continued conversation about his first time shopping after debut like they hadn't just had that serious conversation. I was no longer paying attention or in the mood to keep up with his wit. I was too confused and too perplexed by what he said and even more by his expression when he said it...all that was coursing through my mind as we paid and made our way back to the company was:

            What was that all about? What was Lee Hongbin? And why exactly was I going to regret it? 

 

Author's Note:

Hi everyone ~ Thanks for reading my first fanfiction and I hope you're enjoying it! I'm going to try to update AT LEAST once a week. I know it seems to be going slow right now, but I promise it'll pick up! Ahh the suspense!