Marking

Graphite on Paper

"Hey, I think we should change the lyrics here."

"Wouldn't the flow be disrupted or something?"

"We're all rappers here. I don't know how that part is going to sound for the vocals."

"Yeah, the raps are good. It's just the chorus."

"Perhaps we should invite someone to help us make music, particularly a member who knows how to sing," Hoseok said. Namjoon and Hoseok curiously glanced at Yoongi who gave them a deep frown.

"I know what you guys are trying to do, and it's not working," Yoongi said.

Namjoon looked at Hoseok, who was sitting besides him. "See? I tried."

"But Yoongi," Hoseok said, looking at the cold boy across the table, "don't you think that our song would be more like BTS-style if we got the others to pitch in? I mean, everyone knows that we're strong on raps. We all have great rapping styles, but the vocals need their time to shine, too."

"Not everyone wants to pitch in," Yoongi said without looking up at them.

"Some do."

"The ones who wants to ," Yoongi replied.

Hoseok sighed. "Come on, Yoongi. Can't you be the little sugar that you're supposed to be?"

"Can't you be the hopeful guy who answers my prayers of 'let's not talk about this again'?"

"Ooh. Nice one," Namjoon said, grinning at Yoongi. The two exchanged proud high-fives. Namjoon turned his head and smiled at Hoseok, who gave him a quick glare, reminding him about the purpose of their conversation. He quickly cleared his throat and leaned closer on the table. "That was a good one, but by any chance, can we get Jimin to pitch in at least one song—"

"What's with you guys today?" Yoongi blurted, frowning at them with clear disapproval. "I don't get it. What's wrong?"

"What do you mean?" Hoseok asked.

"Why are we suddenly talking about the others guys helping us with music? Do you guys not like music anymore? Is music boring for you guys?" Yoongi gave them a hurtful expression. "Do you guys not like me being part of this group? Are you guys trying to drive me away?"

"That's not it!" Hoseok exclaimed. "We just thought that it would be better if the other guys had a chance."

"It's their dream to write music with us, but we're the obstacle blocking that path." Namjoon stared at Yoongi. "Didn't you have someone who you thought would be there to support you forever, but ended up not supporting you through the end?"

Yoongi bit down his tongue. A bitter feeling swelled up in his chest. He started to remember about an old memory that was crawling up in his head. His mind was slowly digging it up, and he could almost see his high school memory play out before his eyes. He started to see a particular girl who lingered in his past; the leader's words matched perfectly to what Jieun was to him. He clenched his fist and narrowed his eyes, surprising Namjoon for a moment.

"So?" Yoongi asked in a terrible tight voice. "I don't see how that has to do with anything."

"Well, maybe we're like that. You know, they think that we're supporting them by writing music, but in the end, we're not supporting them as much as we want to because we're not letting them write," Namjoon pointed out.

Yoongi paused and thought it over. Then, he sighed and stood up from the table. Namjoon widened his eyes while Hoseok started grinning in disbelief.

"I think you did it," Hoseok whispered to Namjoon.

The mint-haired boy gave the leader a small gaze. "You really think that we're not letting them achieve their dreams?"

Hoseok and Namjoon nodded in unison. Yoongi pursed his lips for a moment and played with the idea in his head. After a few minutes, he turned his back against the two boys and walked up to the wall. Another phase of awkward silence passed by. Hoseok and Namjoon anxiously waited in their seats, hoping that they had convinced him.

A while later, Yoongi finally turned around and gave them a blank look. Hoseok gazed into Yoongi's eyes with desperate eyes, while Namjoon started to scowl and lean back.

"So?" Hoseok asked. "What do you say?"

Yoongi paused, then looked at Namjoon. "I think Namjoon knows my answer."

Hoseok turned to him. "Well?"

"It's a no," Namjoon murmured disappointedly.

"What?" Hoseok turned back to Yoongi. "But why?"

"No big reason," Yoongi said. "I just think that if I'm an obstacle, then I shouldn't back down so easily. Life isn't easy, after all."

"But—"

"Hoseok, can we get back to this song? I'm really sick of this topic," Yoongi told him.

Hoseok glanced at Namjoon with a heavy sigh. "Do you mind if I step out a bit?"

"Go ahead," Namjoon said.

"Why? Where are you going?" Yoongi asked.

Hoseok got up from his seat and began to walk to the door. "I'm going to get some fresh air."

When Hoseok left the room, Yoongi looked at Namjoon.

"He's not going to get fresh air, is he?" Yoongi asked.

"As usual, you're pretty sharp," Namjoon commented.

"I bet Jimin is waiting downstairs, waiting for Hoseok's report," Yoongi predicted.

"Bingo," Namjoon said. He sighed and started playing with the pencil in his hands. "Well? Let's get on with this song and hope that we get something down before Hoseok comes back up."

"Good idea, but—" Yoongi walked over to the table and grabbed a red pen. He started crossing out certain parts of the lyrics before dropping the pen on the surface. "—we're taking these lyrics out."

"Why?" Namjoon asked, blinking his eyes.

"Those are Jimin's lyrics," Yoongi told him. Namjoon widened his eyes in surprise while Yoongi sipped some water from his bottle. "I told you that I would find out if either of you guys snuck in some of Jimin's lyrics. Only Jimin would write stupid lyrics."

• • •

Down on the first floor, Jimin sneezed. He groaned and sniffed twice before looking around in the lobby. People passed by him without giving him a glance or two. He had expected this kind of reaction. If other BTS members were with him, the crowd would be looking at them and probably ask for an autograph.

But Jimin? If Jimin was alone and standing in a crowd (like what he was doing), people wouldn't even think of him being part of a boy group. He wasn't visually attractive compared to the others. He was probably more fit and had more muscles than the other members, but no one cared about that in public. It wasn't like he was going to take off his shirt and start dancing for attention. That would make him look pathetic and out-of-place. Adding on top of that, he wasn't popular. He was overshadowed by the members with more talent or more personality.

Which is why I need to write lyrics and show them to Yoongi as soon as possible. Jimin took a deep breath through his nose. I need to show him that I can write music, too. He slowly started getting ticked off at the idea of Yoongi being the head of the songwriting group. Damn it, Suga! You ing piss me off. Things would be so much easier if you weren't even part of this—

"Yo."

Jimin turned around, only to find a man wearing shades, a hat, and a face mask. He started to feel irritated over Hoseok's disguise. 

"Why did you dress up?" Jimin asked.

"I don't want the saesangs to find me and stalk me up to the practice room," Hoseok said. "Why aren't you dressed up?"

Because I'm not important, Jimin thought. "I am. Look, I'm wearing a beanie."

"Oh, come on. Jimin, you're part of BTS now. You need to put some effort to your disguise" Hoseok told him, giving him a small nudge.

But I don't matter, Jimin wanted to say. "You're right. I should think about my appearance more. I just felt lazy, you know?"

"That's no excuse. Come on, you're my dancing buddy. Seokjin might have the visuals, but everyone knows that when it comes to variety shows, we're the true visual goofs up there," Hoseok said, grinning at Jimin. He extended out his fist, waiting for a small fist-bump. "We're champions when it comes to goofing around, aren't we?"

Jimin smiled. This was one thing that he liked about Hoseok. There was something about Hoseok that made everyone around him happy. His words were so full of light and hope, people claimed that if he had a second job, he could easily do well as a scammer. The only ones who disagreed with this was Jungkook and Yoongi. It only made sense that Jungkook disagreed with this statement because he was closest to Hoseok. However, Yoongi was a complete different story.

"Ninety-percent is all about flattery and pretty much meaningless," Yoongi had said a long time ago, "Five-percent is the truth, and the other five-percent is all up to you to decide."

What does Yoongi know about people? He's like a lone wolf that doesn't know anything, Jimin told himself. "Of course. We're foolish buddies."

"Anyway, you should know why I came down here, right?" Hoseok asked. He gently lowered his sunglasses and gave Jimin a sorry expression. "You know that Namjoon and I are doing everything to get Yoongi to let you write songs, right?"

Jimin finally frowned. "Ugh. Did he reject everything again?"

"Well, we did sneak in some of your lyrics. I don't know if Yoongi caught onto that," Hoseok said.

"Did it work?"

"I don't know. I left before he could make any adjustments."

"I hope he didn't notice. I would like it if there was a day where I could say, 'Aha! I can be better than you!' or something like that," Jimin said.

"That day might come. You just have to be optimistic and hopeful," Hoseok told him. He let out a soft chuckle, but stopped when he saw a few girls stare at his direction. "Hey, I'm going to go in. I recognize those girls, and they've been following me since the moment I left the dorms."

"Oh, okay. Have fun writing songs," Jimin murmured in a bit of a dejected tone.

"I'll text you if Yoongi finds out about anything," Hoseok told him.

"Alright. Can you try to convince more? I really want my song to be a part of this mini-album. You know that there's a lot of people who're going to make comebacks and debut this month. I want them to be impressed," Jimin explained.

"I'll see what I can do, okay? Besides, it's always the same people who make their comebacks, and the people who debut aren't that interesting. They should know to delay their comebacks or debuts when BTS are coming out."

"Okay, now you're going overboard," Jimin said.

"What else should I say? It's not like anything interesting is going to happen to us, or to at least one of us," Hoseok pointed out.

"Okay, okay. You should go. Don't forget to convince him!" Jimin reminded him. Hoseok nodded his head and quickly sped to the elevator and went up the floors. Jimin watched the numbers increase, then sighed to himself while he turned around to leave.

Right before he left the building, he received a text from Jungkook.

LOL, we got caught! Yoongi is really mad at us! Will text you later.

Jimin groaned and banged his forehead against the wall, finally earning attention from passerby.