Dummy

Graphite on Paper

"Hey."

Yoongi opened his eyes when he felt someone lift the opened book off his face. He scowled for a brief moment before sitting up.

"You actually found me," Yoongi said, impressed.

"Of course I did, dummy," Jieun said, giggling to herself. She took a seat next to him and handed him his MP3 player. "I listened to you song."

"How was it?"

"It was terrible."

Yoongi gave her a look of horror. "Are you serious? Is it really? I thought it was pretty good—" He stopped, then scowled again when he noticed a playful smile on her lips. "I should've known that you were just messing with me."

"Oh my god, that was hilarious!" she cried out, laughing. She gasped when she remembered that she was in the library. She didn't want the librarian to come over and hush them or kick them out. She quickly covered before muttering, "You should've seen your face."

"Whatever," he muttered, blushing a bit. "So tell me, how was it? Be honest."

"It was amazing, as usual," Jieun said. She glanced at him. "But of course, I had a thing or two to fix."

"Yeah, well, I'm not fixing it. You should try writing songs. You'll see how difficult it is," he told her, taking his MP3 player and earphones. "How about the lyrics? Did you like them? Can you reach the high notes?"

Jieun dropped her jaws. "Are you implying that I can't sing?"

"I'm implying that certain parts of this song might be too difficult for you," he said, grinning.

"At least I'm a way better singer than you."

"That, I will agree on."

Jieun started to bring her knees to her arm. She glanced at Yoongi, who kept on a wide smile, proud of what he had accomplished with his song. She bit her bottom lip, took a deep breath, then looked at him with serious eyes.

"Yoongi, did you hear what we did at school today?" she asked him.

"Nope," he said. "I was 'reading' this book." He raised the book that Jieun had lifted off from him just moments ago. "Why? Was it anything important?"

"We were writing down what we wanted to do and which college we wanted to attend. Have you thought anything about that?"

Yoongi paused and kept very quiet. He played with the earphones in his hands, tossing them back and forth from one side of his hand to the other. He glanced at Jieun, who patiently waited for his response.

"I don't know. I haven't given myself the time to think about it," Yoongi mumbled, looking away.

"Well, you're going to have to fill out the form. All the classes in our year did this today," she informed him.

Yoongi rested his cheek against his fist. "What did you put down?"

Jieun blushed a bit. "Nothing too important…"

"Did you at least put a college or two in there?"

"Okay, why are we interrogating me? I'm the one who asked the question first," she pointed out. She leaned closer to him. "Come on, Yoongi. Be serious. What are you planning to do for your future?"

"I don't kn—"

"Yoongi, I know that you know what you want to do," she said, staring into his deep brown orbs.

Damn it. How the am I supposed to think when you're this close to me? he wondered, noticing how they were only centimeters apart. He could feel his cheeks turn hot every time he stared back into her eyes. He tried to lean back as far as he could, trying to avoid Jieun from getting any closer.

"Well?" she whispered. He could feel her breath tinkle his lips.

God damn it, Jieun. 

"Yoongi, are you going to tell me or n—"

"Music!" He pushed her away and gasped for air. "I want to do music, okay?"

Jieun gave him some space and blinked her eyes. She stared at him for a few minutes, then broke into a smirk when he looked at her again.

"Aw, why're you turning so red, Yoongi?" Jieun asked, ready to .

"I-I'm not, okay?" he stuttered.

"I don't think your cheeks agree with you."

"Shut up, okay?"

"Hold up, I'm going to take a picture—"

"Hell no!" Yoongi exclaimed. His eyes caught sight of Jieun grabbing her phone from her blazer. Without thinking, he lunged forward and grabbed her phone.

Jieun let out a small yelp before she was pushed down on her back. She groaned in pain, then shot a glare at Yoongi, who was above her.

"Ow, that hurts a lot Yoon—"

She stopped herself when she saw Yoongi's eyes grow wide. It took her a minute to realize their situation. She was pinned down to the floor, her arms up above her head with her phone while Yoongi made sure to grab onto her wrists so that she wouldn't take his picture. She started to turn into a deep shade of red as she gazed up into Yoongi's eyes.

It would be a lie if she had said that she didn't like the sight she was seeing. She liked seeing his bangs detach themselves from his forehead, showing his pure eyes that shimmered below the library light. Every time he blinked, his eyelashes would flutter like butterfly wings. She could feel the urge to raise her hands just to trace his jaw lines or to feel the reddened skin.

How cute, she thought.

"Hey, I found our little er!"

A rude and harsh howl had interrupted their little moment. Yoongi's eyes grew even wider as he lifted himself off of Jieun. He quickly helped her get up on her feet, then turned to see that a few boys from his class had found him in the library.

this, he thought, his eyes growing cold.

"We thought it was a little weird that you weren't at class today. A few nights ago, you seemed like in a rush," one of the boys said, his lips. He stared at Jieun. "Did you run away from us to meet this little ? She's not hot at all."

Jieun turned pink in embarrassment and only hid behind Yoongi's back. Yoongi continued to give the boys his best glare, but he knew that he wasn't even taunting them. They laughed at his pathetic position and only stepped closer.

"Why don't we have some fun? Are you hungry? I bet you didn't eat lunch yet. We've got a delicious meal prepared for you," another boy said. He walked over to Yoongi and wrapped his arm around his shoulder. Then, he leaned close to Yoongi's ears and whispered, "We've got you a lovely serving of rotten eggs and a bunch of other spices and ingredients that we don't know."

"I don't eat that kind of crap like you guys do," Yoongi snapped. "Why don't you go and eat that ?"

"Ouch. It looks like our little boy's a bit grumpy. Maybe it's because of his stomach," a third boy said. He quickly threw his fist against Yoongi's stomach, causing the poor boy to nearly throw up. Jieun, completely frightened, was about to scream for help until the first boy covered .

"You're not hot, but you're probably a noisy ," the first boy muttered. "Shut your mouth and just keep watch."

"Don't ing touch her!" Yoongi grunted and rubbed his sore stomach.

"Then let's just go have 'lunch'. Is that so hard to do?" the second boy asked.

Yoongi clenched his teeth. "Fine. I'll eat the that you serve—" He gasped for air when the third boy punched him again. "I'll ing eat that gourmet meal, okay? I'll ing eat it, you s!"

"What do you say?" the first boy asked. "Want to punch him again for calling us 's'?"

"Why not," the third boy said. He threw another punch, causing Yoongi to cough and gasp for air. 

you, Yoongi cursed.

"Alright, he's coming with us," the second boy said. He looked at the first boy. "Let her go."

The first boy obeyed. He released Jieun, but pushed her to the ground so that she chase after the boys. Then, he kicked her thigh in order to assure themselves that she wouldn't be able to follow them. She looked at her friend with desperate and worried eyes, but he didn't look at her at all. Instead, he dragged his footsteps away from her, following the boys to wherever hellish scheme they had in store for him.

"Ugh…" Jieun bit her bottom lip and covered her eyes with her arm, wiping away the tears that fell to the ground she was lying on.

• • •

Hours later, Yoongi woke up and found himself lying down on the ground, covered in mud and mashed-up food. He reeked of rotten eggs and some other unidentifable rotten fruits. When he turned his head, he was surprised to find Jieun squatting next to him, wiping off the mud from his shirt with her towel. He thought she was left unharmed, but when she turned her head, his eyes widened. He quickly sat up, startling Jieun.

"Oh my god!" she exclaimed, putting her hand over her heart. "You're supposed to tell me that you're awake—"

"Who did this?" Yoongi asked, his fingers touching below the nail scratches on her cheeks. He glared at it as if it was the enemy. "Who the hell did this to you?"

"It's not a big deal. It's just some scratches."

"I can tell that a person made those. Who did this?" He stared at her. "Did the guys do it?"

She sighed. "No, they didn't. They had a female back-up and those girls went crazy."

"I'm going to kill them all—"

"With what strength?" Jieun asked, raising her voice. She forced him back down and continued to wipe away the disgusting food from his blazer. "Think about it, Yoongi. If you go there, you're asking for death. Leave it alone."

"How can I leave it alone when you're hurt—"

"But you're hurt, too!" she pointed out. She grabbed his hand and stared at his furious brown orbs. "Didn't we promise that as long as we're together, that's all that matters?"

Yoongi clenched his teeth. "But you don't deserve this. This is all my fault—"

"And this is my choice." Jieun slapped his hand, causing him to cry out in pain. "See? My choice."

"What does slapping my hand have to do anything with this?" Yoongi pointed out. She slapped it again and he cried out in more pain. "Ow! Damn it, Jieun! That ing hurts!"

"It hurts now, but it'll feel better later," she said. She stared at him a little longer. "Please don't go beat them up for my sake. It scares me more when you approach them compared to when they approach you."

Yoongi scowled and crossed his arms. "I'm not weak."

Jieun gave him a small smile and his head. "I know you're not, dummy."