Secrecy

Graphite on Paper

On one random night, Yoongi found himself running in the dark, only getting into the darker parts of the city. He panted hard, sweating and gasping for breath as he tried to juke down an abandoned alley. Behind him, he could hear taunting stomps storming up to him, chasing him like a dog chasing its own tails.

He came to a stop when he saw a chained fence towering over him. He ran his fingers through his hair, clenching his teeth.

"You've got to be ting me," he muttered in between his breaths. When he noticed that the footsteps were getting louder, he threw away any other thoughts and started to jump on the wired wall, climbing as fast as he could.

"Over here! That bastard trapped!" Someone howled with enthusiasm. Yoongi turned to see who was behind him, but he regretted looking behind his shoulder.

Small figures of black quickly became bigger. The shadowed faces started to show the insane smile. Yoongi felt adrenaline rush through his veins and breathed fast before he continued to climb up the tall wire.

"Oh, no! Not so fast!" 

Yoongi choked for air when someone grabbed him by the ankle and tried to pull him down. The only thing the boy did was reach for the top of the fence, straining his fingers and stretching his arm until he was sure that it would pop off. Three other guys grabbed Yoongi's pants, pulling it down while Yoongi also struggled to pull himself up.

God, I'll let them take my pants if that's the only option for me to escape. I'll run , so ing do something about these s! 

Whatever miracle took place at that moment, it had worked. Yoongi started yell loudly, kicking his feet while forcing himself to pull up to the fence. The four boys who were grabbing his pants fell backwards, but they had his pants in their hands. Yoongi's face burned with embarrassment, but he managed to climb up to the top of the fence and jumped over it. 

He heard the boys laugh in a hysterical manner, and he even saw them take out of their phones to snap pictures of him running in his boxers. The boy only stuck out his tongue and held up two of his middle fingers in the air before scurrying away to the place he was supposed to be an hour ago: Jieun's house.

• • •

When Jieun opened the door, she wasn't surprised to see Yoongi standing at her door with just a jacket, shirt, and a pair of boxers. He didn't seem to be too embarrassed, but rather a satisfied smile. She looked around, checking to see if anyone had followed him.

"You look pretty pale," she naturally commented.

"I like how you're not letting me in immediately when you're seeing me almost half-," Yoongi said, stepping into her small house without permission.

"This isn't the first time this happened," Jieun muttered, closing the door behind them. "My dad's on a business trip, so you can borrow his pants this time."

"What about your mom?"

"Working overnight."

"So what I'm hearing is that you're home alone?"

"Are you trying to imply something?"

"Nothing. I'm just saying that you should think twice when a guy enters your house and you're alone. It's not safe for a girl to be left with a guy at her own house," Yoongi said.

"Are you saying that I'm weak?"

"I'm saying that as a friend, okay?" he corrected. "There's no deeper meaning."

"Blah, blah, blah," Jieun said, opening and closing her hands as if it was . "Whatever. Anyway, what happened this time?" She gestured him to follow her to her parent's room. "I think my dad took all his good pants, so you're left with the sweatpants."

"Whatever. I just need pants," Yoongi told her, following right behind her. "While I was coming here, I ran into those s from school. They wanted to play around, but I wouldn't play along so they got pissed. Then they started chasing me all over town and that's why I'm an hour and some minutes late."

"So you gave them your pants to play with?" Jieun asked, grinning.

"They slid it off from me." He caught the sweatpants she threw at him. "Thanks." He slipped it on while Jieun watched. "Anyway, I was forced to go in circles until I managed to stall some more time and planned an escape route."

"Sounds rough."

"I don't need your pity," he said.

"I know you don't," Jieun said, leading him out of the room and to the kitchen. "Coffee or tea?"

"Water."

"How about juice?"

"Water."

"So I'm going to assume that you aren't staying long?" Jieun asked him.

"I just wanted to come and let you hear this." He pulled out an MP3 player and a pair of earphones. "Listen to it carefully, okay?"

Jieun grinned. "When do I not listen to your songs carefully?"

"I want you to listen to it and tell me how it goes. I was thinking of you singing this song while I was writing it," Yoongi explained.

"Is it romantic?" she asked him. There was a small spark of hope flickering in her chest.

"Not really, but you can interpret it as romantic," he said as his ears turned a bit red.

She slightly frowned. "Oh."

"You want it to be romantic?"

"N-No," she stuttering, biting her bottom lip. "I just thought that you needed the romance. I don't want you to grow up heartless with no sense of love."

"Was that supposed to be funny? If it was, it's not."

"It was supposed to be a little funny," she answered earnestly. "When should I give this back to you?"

"Whenever you can."

"I'll give it to you in a few years."

He rolled his eyes and faked a laugh. "That was so funny."

Jieun grinned. "Glad you liked it! Don't worry, Comedian Jieun will be here all day and everyday!"

"Ha, ha, ha. Very funny," he said in a sarcastic manner.

He started making his way out of the house. Jieun followed behind him, holding his earphones and MP3 player tightly in her small hands. As he opened the door, she swallowed and took a deep breath.

"See you at school?" she asked him.

"Nah. I'm skipping Monday and Wednesday of next week," he told her. When he saw Jieun's dejected expression, he forced a small smile. "But I'll be hiding in the school's library  on Monday in the beginning of lunch, so if you want to see me, I'll be there."

"You better be," Jieun murmured. "If you're not there, then you're the worst friend ever."

"When did I ever become a bad friend?" he asked, smirking. He lifted his hands and gave Jieun's head a small pat before walking away from her house.

When Yoongi was sure that he was alone, he quickly bent down and heaved a sigh. He looked down at his hands, remembered how it felt to have his hands wrapped around Jieun's head, then blushed while messing up his own hair.

God damn it, he cursed in his head, glancing up at the empty night. What are you doing now, Min Yoongi?

He heaved a sigh, slapped both of his cheeks to snap out of his thoughts, then got back on his feet to run to his house.

• • •

Jieun locked herself in her bedroom before she jumped on her bed and hugged her pillow. She reached over for her head, turning pink when she remembered how soft his gestures were when he patted her head. She bore her face in her pillow, squealed into the pillow, then gasped for breath as she lifted her head from the pillow.

That guy! He's so sly! she thought to herself. She heaved a loud sigh before her eyes landed on the MP3 player in her hand. She quickly plugged the earphones into her ears and played his song. As she listened, she closed her eyes and focused on the melody, enjoying the soothing sound of his creation.

After a whole three minute, she paused the music and got up from her chair. She pulled out her notebook and began to write, humming the song he had made.

He's sly, she thought, but he's ing amazing at writing music.

Her writing slowed down and her eyes softened. Her heart dropped as she wore the earphones to finish the last few seconds of his song.

"I love you," she muttered under her breath, tapping the tip of her pencil against the paper. Her eyes were filed with love and sorrow; her face brimmed with an aching heart of a woman in love. She buried her head in her arms while the song came to its last second, then finished the song with her final thoughts: But I don't want to tell you that.