Preparation

Graphite on Paper

Yoongi would've been lying if he had said that there was nothing wrong in his life. Everyone in the group knew that something was up with him. He came into work looking more pale and less happy. The way he dragged his feet across the dance floor made it seem like he was done with life. Every time someone the television, he turned it off. If someone started talking about the news, Yoongi would leave the room. For most of the members, Yoongi's situation was worrisome. 

Except for Park Jimin, who was enjoying every last minute of Yoongi's endless suffering. He didn't know why Yoongi was so miserable, but he liked it.

"Hey, we need to do something for Yoongi," Seokjin said one day when Yoongi wasn't around.

Jimin, who was eavesdropping on Seokjin, Hoseok, and Namjoon, slightly turned his head around. He noticed that the two other boys nod their head.

"Yeah, he's been in his slumps for too long," agreed Hoseok. "He hardly wants to talk to me anymore. I tried talking to him about hip hop, but he wouldn't talk."

"Same. I think it's because of that rookie," Namjoon said. "Do you guys know anything going on between the two?" The two boys shook their heads. "I thought so."

"It's Yoongi's birthday soon," Hoseok said. "Should we do something?"

"But Yoongi doesn't like it when we celebrate his birthday and do something big," Namjoon pointed out.

"How about just having cake?" Seokjin suggested.

"Nah. He doesn't like too much sweet."

"I'll take care of it," Jimin blurted, joining the conversation.

The three boys stared at him, then at each other. They held a skeptical look on their face, obviously not trusting Jimin with the planning. Hoseok tried to smile and gently patted Jimin's shoulder.

"Um, Jimin," Hoseok said, "I know that you 'care' about Yoongi, but I think you should leave the planning to us—"

"Nonsense! I can do it," Jimin insisted. "I'll make Suga drop his mouth in amazement. He'll be frozen when he sees what I've planned."

"I don't know," Seokjin said, well aware of Jimin's and Yoongi's tense relationship. "Just what are you going to do?"

"That's a surprise," Jimin said.

"Yeah, no, let's not—"

"Okay," Namjoon said, interrupting Hoseok's words. Seokjin and Hoseok turned and stared at the leader with wide eyes. "Plan it."

"Um, leader? A word," Hoseok said, pulling him aside. Then, in a hush whisper, he said, "What are you thinking?"

"What?" Namjoon murmured back.

"Yeah, what are you thinking?" Seokjin agreed.

"Like I said, what?" Namjoon asked innocently.

"Jimin and Yoongi don't get along, and you want Jimin to plan Yoongi's birthday? It's going to end in a complete mess!" Hoseok pointed out.

"Okay, I'm pretty sure that it won't end up that bad," Namjoon said. "Plus, this might be a chance for Jimin and Minjoon to get along. After all, Minjoon's in a slump, so maybe a bit of Jimin might bring him back to life again."

"So you're saying if we give Minjoon something he hates, then he'll get better?" Hoseok asked, wanting some clarification.

"Yeah, pretty much," Namjoon replied, nodding his head.

Hoseok stared at him, then shrugged his shoulders. "Whatever, I'm okay with that."

Seokjin widened his eyes. "Dude, are you serious—"

"Alright, Jimin. We'll let you plan Yoongi's birthday," Hoseok blurted, interrupting Seokjin.

"Wait, I don't agree with this—"

"Sweet!" Jimin exclaimed, pumping his fist. "I can get Jungkook and Taehyung to help me, right?"

"Go wild," Namjoon said.

"Wait, Namjoon, Hoseok. Let's think about this for a second—"

"Alright! I'm off!" Jimin exclaimed. He snickered and ran away, leaving Seokjin speechless.

"This is going to end in a disaster," Seokjin told Namjoon and Hoseok.

"Yeah, but at least Yoongi is going to come back to life," Namjoon said.

"Yeah, we'll get that grumpy Yoongi back in no time," Hoseok said, smiling.

• • •

Yoongi was resting on his bed, staring at the ceiling with empty eyes. He wanted to sleep, but he couldn't. Every time he closed his eyes, he would only see Jieun, and he didn't want to see her. His heart squeezed just from thinking of her. He grabbed his shirt over his chest and turned his body on the side.

"Why now," he whispered softly to himself. Why come back?

He turned his body to face the ceiling again. He inhaled through his nose and exhaled through his mouth. He put one arm over his eyes and tried to think about anything else. He just needed to think about something besides Jieun, besides the past. He didn't need the drama anymore. He didn't need anymore people leaving him and breaking him.

He didn't need her.

"Why now?" Yoongi yelled. He made a fist and threw it against the bed. 

At that moment, the door opened. Yoongi quickly sat up from his bed, only to see Seokjin tiredly walking into the room. Yoongi's roommate had a mixed expression. He displayed a hint of confusion, and that's all Yoongi could get from him.

Seokjin glanced down and saw Yoongi on the bed. He blinked his eyes for a moment before collapsing on his own bed.

"You're not sleeping?" Seokjin asked him. "You're always sleeping when I come back."

"I'm not in the mood," Yoongi murmured.

"Pft. You love sleeping. What are you talking about?" the older boy asked, snorting.

"I can't sleep. That's all," Yoongi said.

"Well, you're not going to get any sleep any time soon," Seokjin said.

Yoongi stared at him. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Let me just say that you should prepared for any chaos running your way," Seokjin said.

"I don't get it," Yoongi repeated.

"You don't have to," he said. "Just wait for a few days. It's a birthday surprise."

"Well, it's not a surprise if you say that there's a surprise," Yoongi said.

He waited for Seokjin to respond, but it took him a few minutes to realize that Seokjin had already gone to bed.

• • •

"Thank you for your hard work! Thank you for your time! Thank you!"

Jieun continued to bow to every staff member before she scurried away with her fluffy-haired manager, Park Junghyun. The two were rushed into a small car that belonged to the manager. As the manager started the engine, Jieun collapsed at the back seat. She let out an exhausted sigh as she felt the vehicle move away from the building.

"You did good during the interview," Junghyun praised.

"I'm so tired," she whined.

"Hey, you got to deal with more of this in the future. Don't give up now. If you give up, then I won't have a job."

Jieun laughed. "Oh, you make me laugh all the time."

"Well, it's my job to make you happy. You have a strong debut and you're making the company happy by raising money," Junghyun said.

"If only I could make everyone happy," she murmured sadly. She kept a simple smile on her face.

Junghyun glanced at he expression through the mirrors, but didn't say a word. He only drove silently, giving her time to think.

A few minutes later, Jieun felt her phone vibrate in her hand. She flipped open the cover and noticed a message from Jimin. She frowned, confused. She kept his number in case of any future projects, but she didn't see a reason why he would want to contact her.

"What's that?" Junghyun asked.

"Nothing," Jieun quickly responded. She was about to put her phone away, but stopped herself. Then, she quietly dragged her finger across the screen and opened up Jimin's message.

"Jimin, I see light shining behind me," Junghyun said in a tight tone. "Do you have a boyfriend already?" There was a red light. The car stopped and he turned around to scowl at her. "Jieun, come on. You can't have a boyfriend. Not right now, at least. You just started!"

"It's not a boyfriend!" she exclaimed. "It's Jimin…"

"Jimin? From BTS? What does he want?" the manager asked, frowning. The green flickered back to green. He quickly faced forward and continued to drive under the night sky. "Aren't we done with him?"

"That's what I thought, but it looks like he's inviting me to someone's birthday party," Jieun said. She looked up at her manager. "Can I go?"

"Who's birthday?"

"I don't know. He just said to come with a present for a guy."

"I don't know about this," Junghyun murmured.

"Please? He said that a lot of people are going to be invited! This is a good chance for me to be acquainted with people!" Jieun pleaded.

"That's true," Junghyun said, nodding his head.

Another message popped up. Jieun looked down at the text, then bit her bottom lip.

"Oh, and there's no managers allowed," she said.

"What?" Red light. He stopped the car and turned his head. "Okay, now there's definitely something up."

"He said no managers allowed, but you can always wait outside," she told him. "I'll go out immediately if there's something wrong."

"Jieun, I don't know—"

"Please?" she begged.

Green light. The car moved and he faced the front again.

"I don't like where this is going," Junghyun said. "You don't know who's party it is and you have to go in there without the manager. Suspicious. This is highly suspicious."

"This is an opportunity," Jieun said. "Plus, Jimin isn't that kind of person. He's…kind of awkward to be around with. I mean, he's okay, but yeah."

"True," Junghyun murmured. "Well, I'll go talk to the company. We don't want any scandal arising from the party. We're going to dig a little into this 'party' that Jimin's holding. If we find out that other female stars are invited, then we'll let you go."

Jieun smiled. "Thank you so much!"

She sat back on her seat and grinned widely to tell Jimin about the news. After texting him, she looked out the window, preparing her heart to meet new people and to continue to climb the ladder of success.

But little did she know that she would have to prepare her heart for another special individual—the star of the upcoming birthday that Jimin was in charge of planning.