The Duo

Graphite on Paper

I'm so sick of this .

"This is looking down on me." The girl (who seemed to be the leader of the group) narrowed her eyes and scowled at Jieun as she pushed her against the brick wall. Jieun flinched a bit and hissed at the pain on her back, but held her tongue when the leader of the group put one hand right besides her ear. "Are you looking down on me?"

"With the height I have, I can't really look down on anybody," Jieun said sarcastically, avoiding the girl's fierce eyes.

"She's acting smart," muttered another girl with bob hair from the side. "She's definitely looking down on you."

The leader clicked her tongue. "Typical." She used her other hand to flick Jieun's forehead. Jieun hissed in pain again, but only looked down and continued to bite down her tongue. "How many times to I have to tell you to stay away from Minho?"

Which Minho? There's, like, five other Minho's at our school, Jieun thought. "I don't have anything to do with him."

"Don't with me. I heard that you were flirting with Minho.  Didn't I already tell you that Minho isn't interested in s like you? You already got that other freak with you. Can't you just leave the normal kids alone?"

Jieun shot her a cruel glare. "What'd you say about my friend?"

"A freak," the leader repeated. "Are you deaf now? Can't you use your ears?"

Without waiting for another second, Jieun lunged towards her and aimed to grab her neck. The leader screamed and backed away, motioning her friends to hold her back. The two other girls quickly pinned Jieun against the wall, pressed her wrist against the board until her fingers turned white. No matter how much Jieun struggled, these two girls were obviously much stronger than her.

Damn it! Jieun cursed in her head. She only glared at the leader, then spat right in front of her shoes. The leader let out a disgustingly shrill shriek and glowered at her.

"Ew!" the leader exclaimed. "That's so gross! What are you, an animal?"

"Take your words back!" Jieun demanded. "Take them all back!"

"What? The part where I called your little boyfriend a freak?" The girl snorted. "I'm not taking it back. Everyone in the school knows about it."

Jieun tried to spit on her again, but she was too far from her. After another long minute of struggling, Jieun finally gave him and stuck her tongue out at the girl. The leader gritted her teeth, then raised her hand. A slap ran across Jieun's cold cheeks, turning her once white skin into a painful reddish color.

The girl smiled triumphantly before throwing a couple of more slaps. Both Jieun's cheeks and the leader's hand reddened, but the one who felt more pain was Jieun herself. The victim continued to bite her cheeks hard, swinging her head left then right then back left at the motion where the hand struck her cheek.

After a while, the girl seemed satisfied with venting her anger on the poor girl. She snapped her fingers and her two friends dropped Jieun's wrist. Jieun collapsed down on her knees, where there happened to be a puddle of mud. The girls laughed and walked away without uttering another word.

Jieun stood in her position for quite some time. Then, she took a deep breath and sighed loudly as she looked up at the sky. She finally got up, wiping the mud off her knee with a handkerchief that she carried since the moment she got into these types of situation. A second later, she rubbed her cheeks and gently tapped on it. She flinched when they stung, but then reached over to undo her high ponytail. She used her long hair to cover up the cheeks and began walking to her class.

If Yoongi found out about this, he'd kill them for sure, she thought, dusting her black blazer. It's best for me to be quiet and don't let him worry too much.

• • •

The boy with chestnut hair gasped for hair as someone pulled his hair back. Yoongi quickly blinked her eyes, trying to clear his vision from the toilet water that dripped from his hair and eyelashes. He heard a couple of guys behind him laugh and crack up in hysteria. Suddenly, one of the guys grabbed onto his hair and twisted it so that his head would turn in the direction of the twist.

"How does it taste? I heard that Kibum took a dump here right before we came in," the guy asked. "Does the taste good?"

"Why don't you ing try for it for yourself, douchebag?" Yoongi muttered, shivering a bit. The cold weather didn't help him compose himself. One of the guys took it as fear and only laughed.

"We'll stop if you beg your life on it," the second guy said. "Do something cute for us, will you?"

"Over my dead body," Yoongi breathed.

"Okay! Into the toilet you go!"

Yoongi was forced back into the toilet bowl. He shut his eyes and held his bread as long as he could as someone pressed the lever. The water pressure pulled his head closer until the water came back up, covering up to his ears. He could barely hear the rest of the guys laugh at his pathetic state.

After a bit longer, Yoongi couldn't hold his breath anymore. He began to cough and opened his mouth. The cold water quickly swam into his mouth, where he was forced to taste the toilet water. He struggled even more, but his hands were tied by some rope and there were more hands pressing his head down into the water. 

What do they want me to do? he wondered, unable to breathe. Right before he felt like he was going to pass out, the hands pulled him back, letting him gasp for another breath of air. He coughed loudly, spitting out the toilet water and pretending as if he wanted to throw up. He felt something rise in his throat—

"If you vomit, then we're just going to put your face in it," one of the guys warned him.

He quickly swallowed the sour vomit. He clenched his teeth and glared at the boys.

"I almost died right there," Yoongi told them.

"You almost did," said the first boy. "You didn't though, right?"

Yoongi couldn't say anything back. After a moment, the bell to homeroom started to ring. The boys whined in unison, while Yoongi's heart skipped a beat in delight. 

"Damn it! We were just about to do something fun, too," the second boy complained. He began to walk out of the stall, and his friends followed behind him. Yoongi climbed up to his feet and chased after them.

"Hey!" Yoongi shouted. "Untie me!"

The boys completely ignored him. Yoongi narrowed his eyes and continued to follow right behind them.

"I said untie me," Yoongi repeated. When he realized that the boys were feigning ignorance, he narrowed his eyes. "Motherers, I said untie m—"

A fist came swinging right for Yoongi's cheek. The boy lost balance and fell back, landing on his bottom. Yoongi hissed in pain while the boy who punched him wiped his hand on his clothes.

"Gross. I touched ," the boy muttered before walking away.

Yoongi was going to say more, but it hurt to open his mouth. He wasn't expecting them to punch him. Well, it wasn't surprising to see them punch him. He couldn't really blame them. He'd punch someone if they called him a "motherer" too.

"Yoongi!" Yoongi whirled around and saw Jieun staring at him with wide eyes. She rushed over to him and started to untie his hands. "Yoongi, what happened?"

"The same thing happened," Yoongi said, sighing. He studied her worried expression, then frowned. "Did you get slapped again?"

Jieun gasped and quickly used her hair to cover her cheeks as much as possible. "N-No…"

"You got slapped again, didn't you?" he asked, sighing again.

The brunette forced a small smile. "You're pretty good at noticing these things, huh? I even let my hair down so that you wouldn't see it."

"That's just stupid," Yoongi muttered. "It's clear as daylight. If the teacher doesn't bring it up, then they're idiots."

"More than half the people here are idiots," Jieun agreed, giggling.

Yoongi smiled. "Anyway, shouldn't you be heading to homeroom right now? I can untie myself."

"I'm okay," Jieun said. "We don't even have the same class together, so there's no point in hurrying."

"You should at least try blending in a little bit. All you have to do is avoid some guys," Yoongi pointed out.

"Heck no. Over my dead body," Jieun blurted. "If those guys want to talk to me, then I'll let them talk to me. If I want to talk to them, then I'll talk to them. I don't need some girls to control my own life." She looked at him. "Besides, it's only a few more years that we have to endure this. As long as I have you, then I'm happy."

Yoongi looked at her for a long time. "Do you mean that?"

"Which part?"

"That if you have me, then you'll be happy?"

Jieun blinked her eyes, then slightly turned pink. "I-It has no deeper meaning than that, okay? I-I just think that you're a g-good guy and that you'll make me h-happy…" Her cheeks turned red, causing Yoongi to chuckle at her adorable expression. "Stop laughing, okay? I said stop laughing!"

But he continued to laugh against her will, which only caused her to turn bright red and scowl in embarrassment.

• • •

That day, lunch was the usual. The two met up at one of the school's empty classroom and had their lunch on the floor. However, Yoongi had finished his meal and began to write musical notes and words on a napkin. Jieun slowly ate her meal, reading a romance novel and leaving him alone in his own world.

Fifteen minutes later, Jieun turned to Yoongi, only to see that he was still writing whatever he was writing about. She turned to him and leaned closer to him, her face just inches away from his. 

"Let's kiss."

"Let's not."

The brunette whined and backed away while the boy continued to remain calm. The girl slowly looked up at him and pouted.

"I'm being serious," she said.

"Same here," the boy said calmly. "Didn't we have a talk about this days ago?" He scowled at the novel she was reading. "Didn't I tell you to put that book away? Honestly, you always get weird ideas when you read books like that."

"Yoongi, you're no fun. You know, when I was in the bathroom during break, I overheard a couple of girls talk about how guys wants to kiss anyone they see," she told him.

Yoongi briefly looked at her. "You believe in that crap? Come on, Jieun. You're better than that."

"I might be, but I'm sure you're not."

"That's bull. The only reason why you're here and sane is because you have me around. I'm sure that if I didn't exist, you'd be running around like a maniac," he said.

"You wish I didn't exist," she joked. She looked up at the ceiling, then let out a loud sigh.

"Stop sighing," Yoongi said. "You're just going to make me depressed. Depression is contagious."

"Ha!" Jieun faked some laughs before turning her head to look at him. "If depression is contagious, there should be a cure."

"Technically there is—"

"I don't consider anti-depressant pills to be the answer. You've already went down that path. You even said that it doesn't work."

"You're right. It was a waste of money," Yoongi agreed. "I was basically drowning myself in the illusion of happiness." He looked at Jieun. "But you don't have any experience with antidepressants, so you can't say anything about it."

"Does happiness exist?" asked Jieun randomly, her eyes fixed on a page from the novel. At this point, Yoongi already knew that she wasn't interested in the previous topic.

"Who knows."

The two kept quiet for a long time. The boy kept scribbling down words on his napkin, while Jieun continued to look at the ceiling. Finally, she turned to him and tapped on his shoulders.

"Yoongi?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I put my head on your lap?"

"Then I can't write."

"You can drop that pen for a few minutes, can't you?"

"Then we'd just look stupid."

"That's okay with me," Jieun said, already putting her head on his lap. "I like being stupid."

Yoongi groaned and looked down at her. "Do you have to put your head down on my lap now? What if someone comes? They'll think that we're some couple."

"Who cares? Besides, no one comes into this room," Jieun said, waving her head. She rested her eyes and took a deep breath.

The boy, helpless and unable to do anything, only put down his pen and napkin to the side as he looked up at the ceiling. He covered his face and gently closed his eyes.

"Geez, you're such a pain," Yoongi mumbled, turning red.

"You're a good friend, too, Yoongi," Jieun said, cackling between her words. She quickly snored off, waiting for Yoongi to wake her up.


Author's Note: Here's the first chapter! I've decided to start the story kind of dark and brighten it up in the end. It'll still be a happy story as requested, but I'll be adding a few darker elements into it (like bullying and cussing) because I felt like writing them and I can't write them in my other stories (lol). Anyway, hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter1 I'm also going to make a habit of using the "REPLY" feature because I've been going old-school with the "@user:blah blah blah" comment and I think it's time for me to up that a bit.