The Mermaid Story - Special Chapter

Love Against War

"Jimin! Jimin! Where are you? I have come to meet you!"

Jimin looked up and saw the silhouette of a man searching for him. He smiled as he slowly swam upwards and finally surfaced.

"You came," Jimin whispered softly, to which the other nodded.

"I promised you I would. So here I am." 

Jimin smiled as he leapt onto a big rock. He looked at the guy beside him.

"I thought you wouldn't. Where is the conch that I gave you?" Jimin asked as he swiped his hands through his wet hair. Never having the chance to cut it, Jimin's hair was reaching his waist.

"I lost it. Sorry." Yoongi said, smiling apologetically.

"Ah, how could you?" Jimin said, making Yoongi wince a little. "I told you not to lose it. It is one of the only ways for me to call you."Jimin complaind before he heard soft footsteps coming from behind them. He quickly jumped into the water and dove as deep as he could, his heart beating fast.

Jimin woke up taking a deep breath as he jolted up.

"Holy! What kind of dream was that?" Jimin said horrified, heart still beating fast as he looked around his familiar room. He quickly pulled his blanket off his body and looked at his feet before he sighed. "Thank goodness you are still here." Jimin mumbled slowly as he touched his thigh.

"Jimin, what are you doing?" Taehyung's sleepy raspy voice invaded Jimin's ears. "It's 4 in the morning, Jimin. Are you alright?" Taehyung asked again as he got up and rubbed his eyes softly.

Jimin looked at the other and smiled softly. "I am fine, really. Just having a weird dream, that's all."

"Want to talk about it?" Taehyung asked. Jimin just shook his head.

"It's okay. Just continue sleeping. We can talk about it later." Jimin said nonchalantly.

"Up to you." Taehyung shrugged as he lay down again and continued on sleeping. Meanwhile, Jimin continued to contemplate what his dream meant, but finally, he dozed off while thinking about the other person that appeared in his dream.

**********

Jimin looked at the moon and sighed. The moon was full and it brightened the whole entire world with its light. Jimin wished he could be the moon, always illuminating other people's lives. However, living in the sea makes the heart cold. He could still remember the ancient sayings "Only when a mermaid falls in love, her heart will melt." Although the reference was a mermaid princess falling in love with a human, but Jimin strongly believed it applied to mermen as well. Besides, what difference does it make between him and the little mermaid? He had fallen for a boy too, and although his heart was warming up and he yearned for a life together with said boy,  his heart was still as lonely as the wide sea. He wondered if loving is always this painful and if the ancient sayings about 'love conquers all' is just a lie.

With a heavy heart he looked at the moon, closed his eyes and started to sing.

"Caught in a lie~
Find 
the me that was innocent
I can't free myself from this lie."

 

"Caught in a lie~
Take me out of this hell
I can't free myself from this pain
Save the me who's being punished"

"Man, that was one depressing song. Where did you learn it?" Jungkook nudged at Jimin's side. Jimin looked up at Jungkook cluelessly.

"What song?" Jimin asked. Jungkook looked at Jimin dumbly.

"You were singing a song just now. Didn't you notice? Something about a lie and hell?" Jungkook replied.

"Oh." Jimin's face fell abruptly. "That." 

"Hyung, don't give me that 'oh that' answer." Jungkook said as he replied in Jimin's tone.

"It's from a recurring dream I had these last few days. Anyway, Kookie, do you know if we have a sea around here? Or a lake?" Jimin asked as he scooped the noodles in front of him and took a bite.

Jungkook looked at Jimin and frowned at his question, but he kept silent about it.

"I know one place, but people rarely go there. It is a small lake at the very end of our academy. Would you like to go?"

Jimin nodded. "Can we go tonight?"

"Tonight? Are you sure?"

Jimin nodded again, this time a more determined look appearing in his eyes. Jungkook sighed and nodded.

"Okay. Tonight then."

**********

"It's full moon today." Jimin said softly. Jungkook just nodded in annoyance as he tried to prevent the mosquitoes from biting him.

"Are we going to stay here for long?" Jungkook asked as he took a look at Jimin. His heart soothed a little when he saw how Jimin smiled widely as he gazed on the reflection of the moon on the water dreamily.

"Let me stay a little longer. You can go back first if you want." Jimin replied as he got up and went to sit closer to the water, so that his feet could touch the water. He smiled when the water lapped at his feet.

Jungkook smiled as he scooted closer towards his friend. "Nah, let me accompany you." Jungkook said as he lay down on the grass beside Jimin, and pulled his hand urging Jimin to do the same. Jimin causally lay down beside Jungkook before the younger took Jimin's waist and pulled him in for a backhug. Jimin adjusted himself comfortably. It's been a while since Jungkook snuggled him like this. He missed the moment when they were small. Just the two of them against the world.

Soon enough, Jimin felt Jungkook's steady breath on his neck, a sign that Jungkook had fallen asleep. Jimin smiled as he closed his eyes, basking in the light of the moon. Somehow, the moon light gave him a calming sensation, something he never felt before. Slowly he drifted into sleep, forgetting about anything else.

***********

Jimin heard the sound of the conch shell coming from above. He looked up and could see the shining light of the moon. He quickly swam up, smiling wide as the thought of his beloved boy calling for him made his whole body giddy. He sped up when he neared the surface, heart beating faster. Upon reaching, he looked around the spot where Yoongi usually waited for him. Weirdly, nobody was there, except for the conch shell that he gave to Yoongi before.

"Yoongi!" Jimin called as he swam to the rock where the conch shell was put. As he arrived closer, he felt a sudden movement behind him before he felt a pair of hands grabbing him from behind. He struggled to break free, but the person behind him was stronger.

"Yoongi!" He called, his voice echoed in desperation as he saw a few men coming out from behind the shadow of a big rock nearby, holding a harpoon. Jimin started to tremble in fear as he struggled in his captor's hold, trying to break free but to no avail. Jimin couldn't process what was happening, but suddenly he saw the man who was holding the harpoon aiming the sharp weapon straight towards his heart. He closed his eyes, ready for the upcoming pain, but it never came. Instead, he heard loud splashes and he felt himself breaking free. He heard the sound of rushed footsteps and some shouting, so he opened his eyes, only to meet a horrible sight in front of him.

The water in front of him was red, and he could see more people coming towards the rock. His captor, who was holding the harpoon before, looked shocked. Jimin knew deep in his heart that something was wrong, very very wrong. He dove into the blood red sea, and finally, his heart stopped beating. He saw his beloved Yoongi, drifting down the sea with a harpoon stuck through his heart.

Jimin screamed as he lunged towards the body and hugged it in his arms before he swam up. Upon reaching the surface, he quickly put Yoongi on the nearest rock, ignoring the people that were staring at him unbelievably.

"Yoongi, wake up." Jimin said as his tears started to stream down his cheek. It took Yoongi a while, but he opened his eyes with the amount of energy he had left.

"Are you alright?" Yoongi asked, smiling softly as he put his palm on Jimin's cheek and caressed him tenderly.

"Yoongi, you stupid human." Jimin whispered as he clasped Yoongi's other hands.

"Jimin, go on...and live without me." Yoongi whispered back as he kissed Jimin's cheek weakly. Jimin shook his head.

"Our fate was intertwined the day you kissed me, now and forever. You know a mermaid will die too when her lover dies, right?" Jimin asked in sobs. Yoongi shook his head.

"You can't..." Yoongi croaked, his voice became raspy as he coughed blood.

"I can't change what was and what is, Yoongi. But I promise you that one day, one fine day, we will meet again." Jimin said as he kissed Yoongi's bloody lips. He could feel the iron taste in his mouth mixed with the familiar salty taste of the sea, or maybe his own tears. He could feel Yoongi's life slipping away as soon as their lips parted, and not long after, Yoongi's hand went limp. He calmly put Yoongi's hand on the rock before he looked at the people that were staring at them, looking for Yoongi's murderer. As soon as he spotted him he smiled.

He then put his hand on the harpoon that was still stuck to Yoongi's heart and pulled it out. He put his hand on the trickling blood that came out of the wound before he threw it into the water.

"I call to the power of Poseidon and Neptune, and all the creatures residing in my territory. With the last wish granted to me before my death, it is I, Prince Park Jimin of the North Sea, cursing this evil world and its residents to be doomed, until a love that transcends life and death emerges."

With that, Jimin dived into the sea before he felt himself slowly disintegrating into sea foam.

Meanwhile, the people swore that they could see a bright light shooting out of the sea into the sky, and Yoongi's body and blood disappearing as if engulfed by a shadow. Legend says that because their love was transcendental between two worlds, and it was corrupted by the evil of man, the balance of the world had been broken, thus releasing the two elements that were once hidden by the High Priestess of the Old Religion.

**********

Jungkook woke up to the sound of Jimin's crying. He frowned as he looked at Jimin who was hugging him, and could clearly hear Jimin mumbling Yoongi's name repeatedly. He slowly woke Jimin up.

"Jimin. Why are you crying?" He asked as soon as Jimin opened his eyes.

"Yoongi. He was going to leave me. Kook, I am scared." Jimin said as he put his face on Jungkook's chest and continued crying.

"Hey, that's not true. What do you mean?" Jungkook coaxed softly, trying to calm Jimin down. In his heart, he swore to God he's going to have a talk with Yoongi, no matter who he was.

"He said he already has someone he loves, and...And...I don't know what, but I dreamed of him leaving me, and it hurts so much." Jimin replied as he clutched on Jungkook's shirt tighter. Jungkook looked around, praying that no one came to the lake early in the morning like this. He hated it when someone else saw Jimin crying. And hearing Jimin's words, he just upgraded his promise to himself to punch Yoongi in the face when he met the other later.


Just something I need to write. Enjoy.