Chapter V

Hellhound

 

Lu Han knows that he’s a sharp and careful man and that he could get away with anything.

 

That’s how it has always been.

 

That’s how it has always worked.

 

But why now?

 

Why did he make a mistake now?

 

“No worries, we both know you are not the killer”

 

What.

 

“Then how—“

 

“It’s impossible for you not to know about Jack the Ripper.” The man intervened “As soon as I mentioned that name, your eyes squinted for a bit. In a psychological manner, as soon as you are lying— no matter how good you are at it or try to prevent it, there will always be an unusual movement in your facial expression. Usually it lasts 0.1-0.2 seconds but if you have proper training, it’s possible to read you are lying.”

 

“Wow”

 

“I am quite observant, thank you”

 

Lu Han was baffled “So Mr Detective, why do you think I’ll help you?”

 

“Oh, I know you will” the man smirked “As soon as you saw me”

 

“Confident aren’t we?”

 

“Simple mistake yet again. I told you to be of my service- a command, and you replied to me as if I need your help, in which I presume you are willing to do after you run me around in circles. And I’m not a detective. I shall not degrade myself to that extent, Mr Assassin” as he emphasized the last two words.

 

Lu Han gulped “Then what are you?”

 

Lu Han knows he is not dealing with a simple brain, this man has wits and manipulative.

 

He can’t be too careless.

 

“I am simply a man of noble birth just like you. We are alike so I know we could get along”

 

 

 


 

 

“Bollocks” Harrison sighed “There’s nothing in here”

 

Moran sighed “We’ve been searching for hours, let’s take a break”

 

“Care to have a tea?”

 

Both men looked just to see Theo Gregory advancing in their direction. Harrison and Moran have been assigned to investigate Abbey West in attempt to further find a hint, even just a single trace to connect the killings and the recent suicide. But all their efforts were in vain as nothing in particular has been found in the speculated crime scene.

 

“What are you doing here?” said Harrison.

 

“I was asked to deliver information” as he handed a note to Harrison “Another telegram arrived, Duncan wanted the both of you to come at once”

 

 

 


 

 

“What is it?”

 

The arrived at the Scotland Yard only to find men with hopeful but at the same time devastated eyes.

 

“An informant” Conroy stated.

 

“Then what are we waiting for?” Moran smiled brightly “Let’s hurry”

 

Duncan sighed “If only it’s was easy as that”

 

Harrison’s eyebrows furrowed “What do you mean?”

 

“Is it me or every bloody person involved in this crime is bloody poetic? Are we playing mind games now?” Duncan cried exasperatedly. “Look at this bloody telegram”

 

“Soon shall thy arm, unconquer'd steam! Afar
Drag the slow barge, or drive the rapid car;
Or on wide-waving wings expanded bear
The flying chariot through the field of air.

 

Time will run out, the ripper will come

Find thee with the simple clue.

Rest assured I know A.W.”

 

“They want us to find them with this- this poem?” Moran raised his brow

 

 They’ve been going around in circles with the suicide case of Lady Lowell just from a note that it wasn’t suicide.

 

How sure were they it wasn’t a prank?

 

But then another telegram arrived and it was one step ahead from learning the truth about this ‘Jack the Ripper’.

 

“Call Yi Xing” Duncan commanded.

 

Theo saluted in a playful manner “Right away sir”

 

“Where is Dr Angus?” Harrison questioned.

 

“Attending a patient”

 

It was a relief for Harrison.

 

He wasn’t very comfortable with the doctor on the house, it made him feel uneasy. It wasn’t that he hated all doctors, it was only the certain doctor named Angus that he doesn’t want to have connection with. He doesn’t know why but he doesn’t like him.

 

At all.

 

“Yes, how may I help you detectives?” Yi Xing arrived with Theo. He knew there’s another lead judging by the look on everyone’s faces. “What is it?”

 

“Decipher the code” as Duncan handed the telegram to Yi Xing, which he refers to as the brain of Scotland Yard.

 

He had proposed to put Yi Xing on the ‘legwork’ job as a detective but the young lad refused to, saying he’s better doing the paperwork. Thus, most cases they rely on Yi Xing’s perceptive ability and fast thinking.

 

Yi Xing gave a smug look at the paper “This one is good”

 

“Having trouble?” Moran mocked which he earned a glare from his junior.

 

“I meant this person” Yi Xing rolled his eyes “He or she just made you run around in circles with an obvious clue”

 

“What do you mean?” not only Duncan but confusion was in everyone’s eyes.

 

“This one is playing with you. He or she knew you’d take time, in which we cannot afford now, so he or she wants to help us while being entertained”

 

“What— Who’s playing with us?” Harrison asked.

 

“Lady Lowell used skip code, this person knew you’d think of this note as one too but it’s just a poem leading us to where he or she is, nothing to decipher here. Simple as that” Yi Xing eyed but he knew it was too much for them to process so he decided to cut to the chase “He or she means the Botanical Garden!” Yi Xing cried.

 

“How do you know?” questioned Theo in which Yi Xing gave him a horrid look.

 

“This note is an excerpt from the poem ‘The Botanic Garden’ by Erasmus Darwin” he explained “He or she wants us to find him in a botanical garden, fast”

 

“Then, where do you think it is?” it was Harrison.

 

“The Royal Garden?” asked Duncan.

 

“The Royal Garden”

 

Theo was confused “Why The Royal Garden?”

 

“Because it’s the most famous British botanical garden” Yi Xing deadpanned “You have a long way to go, Theo Gregory”