Chapter II

Hellhound

 

He knew his job as the ‘Jack of All Trades’ could be quite risky as he did most of his jobs illegally. Who could blame him? It was his way of doing life as long as there is profit.

 

Only he didn’t expect he’d get caught immediately.

 

Xi Lu Han bit his nails as he stared blankly at the plain grey walls. It was his way of concentration, to brainstorm as he calls it.

 

He knew he shouldn’t have trusted that source “that bastard” he mocked as he grits his teeth. Being caught by police is one story, being framed by the one who hired you— only to take the blame is another story.

 

“Assassinate the head of the household my arse. What a bugger up”

 

Concentrate.

 

The door is barricaded by two people for sure.

 

No, concentrate on the light source behind the door.

 

Lu Han crouched down.

 

No shadows below the door’s bottom frame and sill.

 

Lu Han looked up about face, only one window.

 

There are steel bars so that’s impossible.

 

Only one way out, the door that is.

 

But why leave unguarded?

 

Lu Han stood in front of the door.

 

I see.

 

It’s locked from the outside.

 

Before he could brainstorm any further, the door suddenly swung open and if he didn’t take a step back immediately, he could have been hit badly. “Bollocks”

 

Yes, there are times when Xi Lu Han concentrates to much he lets his guard down.

 

The sudden bright light almost blinded him; curse the room for being dim.

 

“Xi Lu Han?”

 

 


 

“Save O angels the grace of poor and merciless. Souls of damsels tortured through and by.

Jakkios my dear, the name of Ripper

 

A.W."

 

 

A.W. and Jakkios. What are these? Are these representations of something? A name perhaps?

 

Detective Harrison has to write the report due tomorrow. Taking deep breathes, he relaxed his muscles. Fatigue was clear in his eyes— sleep deprivation due to stress as he calls it.

 

“Still stuck on that, mate?” called Rhys Moran as the young lad of 26 swung back and forth on his chair transferring paper from table to table.

 

“I don’t want you to tell me that, newbie” Harrison replied, eyes still glued on the unfinished report in front of him.

 

Only these clues left and the suicide case is done.

 

“Say” Harrison stared silently at the young man “Does A.W. ring a bell to you?”

 

“Indeed, it does”

 

Harrison straightened his back. Could this be a clue?

 

“Our late Duke Arthur Welling—“

 

“Officers” Inspector Conroy was already straightening his clothes as he approached the cubicles of the ‘Detectives’ Office’ trying to hide the sweat on his already aged façade. “Buck up and get yer tardy arses out here. The suicide case of the young miss will be announced to the newspersons now”

 

Harrison’s eyes went saucers “But the report ain’t done ye—“

 

“A suicide is a suicide. Nothing more to dig up and get our sorry arses to extra labour when the case is obvious” Conroy countered “It’s already been telegrammed to the public”

 

 


 

“Thus, regarding to the mass hysteria occupying the majority of females, our expert psychiatrist provided that the cause of death is due to psychological influence called mass effect. The case of Lady Cassandra Isabelle Lowell is without a doubt suicide. Case closed.” Inspector Duncan cleared his throat “we will now entertain questions”

 

A female journalist raised her hand “How sure are you it is suicide and not murder?”

 

Before Duncan could reply, Dr Angus took the pleasure of entertaining the questioner. “Suicide, in most cases relate to the psychological behaviour of a human being. That is, I say, may reflect on one’s view of life. Most causes are depression, anxiety, childhood trauma, and isolation. Due to the female hormonal functions, women tend to reflect different moods in a speed of light which would result to what we call hysteria.” Dr Angus paused before continuing to let his explanation sink in “Pre-pubescent girls or girls undergoing puberty experience most of these cases due to sudden emotions they feel going into adulthood. In this case, we discovered that Lady Lowell had been depressed for quite some time now after the passing of her betrothed”

 

“Then it led to her taking her own life?”

 

“Precisely. Inspector, you may continue with further details” as Dr Angus handed the stage to Duncan.

 

Meanwhile, Harrison and Moran sat by the corner watching the Chief Inspector as the stubble man explained the case.

 

“Dr Angus is quite young but I can see he’s skilled” Rhys Moran commented playfully which Harrison took a little notice of.

 

 

A.W. and Jakkios. What are you?

 

 

“Still hung up on that?”

 

“Do not read my mind, kid”

 

Rhys laughed melodiously “I don’t have to since it’s already painted all over your face”

 

Harrison let out a deep sigh “Let’s go back to the office, we can’t do anything in here”

 

 

 

“Mate, there’s a telegram”

 

“What about it?” Harrison replied uninterested yet went towards his co-worker.

 

 

‘Tut, that ain’t right. Clearly not a suicide.

-A.W.”