Chapter XIV

Hellhound

 

“Young master, it turns out you were right” Kevin approached Kris and Lu Han’s table “it is affirmative that they are mutual friends”

 

Kris smirked “Then all that is left is to set up the play”

 

“How certain are you?”

 

Kris gave Lu Han a look but before he could say anything, Kevin intervened, “Lu Han, if you’re part of the household you should know the golden rule. Never question young master no matter what the circumstances are”

 

To trust Kris

 

“Kevin, prepare everything” Kris commanded

 

“Aye, aye sir” Kevin saluted playfully before departing.

 

“He’s a high-spirited young lad” Lu Han commented.

 

“Don’t be fooled by his façade”

 

Lu Han turned to Kris “How many are they? Your servants”

 

“There are four of them. You’re the fifth”

 

 


 

 

“I wish to enter Lady Le Rou’s chamber” Kris demanded as soon as Kevin left the hall “Distract them”

 

Lu Han glanced at his employer “Roger”

 

As soon as Kris saw Lu Han walking towards the officers, he quietly left the room and went to the dead lady’s said chamber. He put on his gloves and turned the door knob.

 

It was unlocked.

 

The corpse wasn’t there anymore but the remaining blood stain was still visible from the sheets. He observed the room.

 

No signs of struggle.

 

The room was tidy and there were no visible footprints on the floor.

 

He went towards the balcony. The room beside hers were the rooms of her co-actors; next room on the left was his and Lu Han’s. Below are the servants’ quarters. Above was Lady Guttenberg’s and beside were the viscounts. Lady Le Rou’s room was on the second floor and no signs of forced entry. Two officers were on guard behind the door. There are no hidden rooms on the wall or the ceiling, even the floor.

 

Kris recalled the crime scene.

 

Her stomach was stabbed by a thin object. Cause of death was blood loss. There were few blood trails on the cabinet.

 

Why did she not scream for help?

 

Before returning to the hall, Kris noticed something on the concrete balcony floor.

 

The puzzle is solved.

 

 


 

 

“Howdy”

 

The four officers turned towards the source of voice “I didn’t know you were friendly when my lord’s not around” Rhys commented.

 

“I see you’ve been working hard” Lu Han’s tone was sarcastic.

 

“Where’s your master?” Theo intervened.

 

“You miss him?” Lu Han smirked not failing to see the glare coming from the younger “He’s in the lavatory and he does not wish for me to accompany him in his private time”

 

“What do you want?” Harrison questioned.

 

Lu Han hummed “I wish to know how much you’ve got?”

 

“This investigation is none of your business, you should busy yourself with babysitting” Theo mocked.

 

Lu Han figured it must have been a traumatic experience for the young lad when they were playing with the dead body on the last case. He hated Lu Han’s guts. Lu Han grinned, “Ah, right. Master should need his after-breakfast tea”

 

“How much does Lord Wellesley drink a day?” Rhys teasingly questioned

 

Lu Han shrugged “As long as it’s prepared by me, then it’s like there’s no tomorrow” he took a step back but bumped into someone.

 

“Ah!” Mary Eliza gasped as the tea tray fell on the floor.

 

“Oh dear” Lu Han crouched “I’m deeply sorry. Are you alright, milady?”

 

“What happened?” The butler immediately rushed to the source of noise.

 

“It’s alright, Aleck” Mary Eliza spoke “it was an accident”

 

“Milady” Lu Han gasped “your palms are swollen, did you get burned?”

 

Mary Eliza shook her head as Theo helped her up “It’s only a minor injury, nothing to worry about”

 

Lu Han noticed Kris immerge from his peripheral view and bowed to the lady “Again, please forgive me for my carelessness. I am indebted to you”

 

Mary Eliza smiled “No such thing”

 

“Then I bid you farewell, milady” as Lu Han rushed towards Kris.

 

 


 

 

“So?” Lu Han walked beside Kris

 

“Affirmative” Kris stood beside the glass window “Kevin should be bringing Lord Guttenberg by now.

 

 


 

 

Dinner had been distasteful for the guests, being forced to stay the night in the palace when a girl has just been murdered and a possible killer in the house did not help their appetite. It was dreadful.

 

“Young master” Kevin approached Kris and Lu Han’s room “All’s been set. The officers would like to see you now”

 

“Send them in”

 

Kevin opened the door for the five of them, including Dr Angus. Kris was sitting on the fireplace with a book in his hand and Lu Han was sitting across him. Kevin followed behind.

 

“You’re saying you already know who the killers are?” Harrison questioned impatiently.

 

“Killer” Lu Han corrected without facing the officers “there’s only one murderer”

 

“But the telegram—“

 

“It was very easy” it was Kris who spoke “Jack the Ripper gave us specific clues. You just have to know where to look”

 

“Then who the bloody hell is it?” Theo raised his voice.

 

Lu Han stood up and shot him a glare “Careful who you talk to or else you would regret not seeing the day. That goes for all of you”

 

Theo gulped. He did not like this man.

 

“Gentlemen” Kevin cleared his throat as he motioned for the sofa “care to take a seat?”

 

“We’re not here for chitchat” Duncan commented.

 

“Suit yourselves” Kevin shrugged “It’s going to be a long story”

 

“We’re only wasting our time”

 

“If you do not listen” Kris closed his book “expect a dead man tomorrow”

 

The four officers begrudgingly took a seat but there was a visible grin on Dr Angus’ face. “So this is how it felt like?” he whispered to Rhys which the latter gave an apologetic smile.

 

“Pray tell” impatience was obvious in Duncan’s voice not matter how much he tried to hide it.

 

“Two murders are planned to occur” Kris started “A tale lost in history clearly means the play Love’s Labour’s Lost. A twin does not mean there are two of them. It simply means the purpose of the other one is to be the cover. A twin is a mask”

 

Duncan contemplated “So you mean to say Lady Le Rou’s death was because of a play?”

 

“She who is kissed by fire, the princess whom the king fell in love with was red-headed— a hair in a colour of fire.” Kris continued “In the story, the princess’ father died thus postponing the courtship”

 

“Then what are you suggesting?”

 

“Lady Le Rou was murdered but she is not the princess’ father” Kris paused “Thus another murder will happen to end the story”

 

“So who is this princess’ father?”

 

Kris gave them a disapproving look “Don’t you have the faintest clue? As I had stated, it was pretty obvious”

 

Theo gritted his teeth but Duncan spoke before he could “We deeply apologize for we are not as intelligent as you”

 

Lu Han noticed the look of amusement on the doctor’s face. It sent shivers through his spine.

 

Kris sighed, “Come” he stood up “It’s about time for the curtain to rise”