Chapter XXVI

Hellhound


 

“Welcome, Mariquis Wellesley. I see you’ve received my invite” A woman greeted. Her hair, light blonde almost as white as snow, was tied neatly into a bun. Her pearly white skin had been emphasized by her long, black, laced gown beaded with intricate patterns, and her eyes were almost black— combined with light tinges of brown and red. She stood just above five feet tall and walked with grace as she greets her guests.

 

“Pleasure to be invited in your humble abode, milady” Kris removed his hat while Lu Han bowed slightly.

 

“Please, come this way” Lady Bator led them to an open terrace with a vast view of the garden and where a tea table has been set. Lady Bator’s castle was not like Lord Munteanu’s surrounded by a moat, instead, her home is situated on a hill with a forest beyond the estate’s garden. Sunlight barely touches the castle as it is surrounded by large trees and with little to no windows. “This is the only area in the castle where you can see as the sun sets, that is why I take my visitors here that it almost serves as the guest room.”

 

“You have a very serene home” Kris commented dryly.

 

“So I’ve been told—”

 

A loud thud had interrupted their conversation. The person responsible had just messily sprawled on the ground beneath the grand piano as she scrambles for the music notes that had been rearranged due to the slip.

 

“Messy gal, are we?” Lu Han said at the overly familiar form in front of him.

 

“Ah!”  Yelena gasped in surprise “why, if it isn’t the marquis and his valet!”

 

“Do you know each other?” Lady Erzebet asked

 

“We had met her as we both arrived in Romania in the same train” Kris answered. He then turned to Yelena “Do you live here?”

 

Yelena shook her head “Oh, no. I perform for Lady Erzebet from time to time when she has guests over” she gave a dry laugh “I did not expect to see you two here, what a coincidence!”

 

“Yelena could be quite clumsy at times but she is an excellent performer” Lady Erzebet remarked “the guests love her but she worked in London for a long time that when I heard she had come back, I had to invite her immediately.”

 

“You sure are loved. You must have been working here for a long time” Kris said.

 

Yelena gave a silly grin “I’ve been performing for the Bator family since I was a teen”

 

 


 

 

The sunset and the serene combination of the sound of the piano and Miss Crawley’s voice were so pleasant in the ears Lu Han feels like he’s floating. The song is in Latin, perhaps? He couldn’t tell but it had an attractive ring to it. Lu Han continues to sip his tea while appreciating the lovely sound.

 

Kris and Lady Erzebet had been conversing with his uncle’s business partnership with the said lady, discussing about which materials to use and product quality. It was all business but Lu Han felt differently. His heart felt a tinge of pain as soon as he imagines Kris being together with a woman. What did he expect Kris to do last night?

 

What did he want Kris to do last night?

 

“Han”

 

Lu Han awoke from his trance when Kris called him. It seems he had been spacing out for the past few minutes. Lu Han had just realized Kris called his name out loud and started to get uncomfortable “Didn’t I tell you to not call me by my name in public?”

 

“I always thought you think of it as a bother but seems that there’s an underlying reason behind it” Kris remarked.

 

Lu Han pursed his lips, still averting his gaze “Let’s leave it at that”

 

 


 

 

“You seem awfully off”

 

Lu Han turned his head, still looking in front of him “What?”

 

“I have been talking about my insights regarding this case you wanted me to do but instead you give me haphazard answers as if you weren’t paying attention” Kris declared.

 

“Oh” this time, Lu Han finally looked at Kris “you want me to pay attention to you that bad?” he teased.

 

“This is no time for jokes, Han” warned Kris.

 

“It’s late, I’m going to sleep” Lu Han marched away before Kris could even speak.

 

“Not even saying goodnight to his master?” Mr. Harley came from the kitchen “Had a fight?”

 

Kris shrugged.

 

“Perhaps a nightly visit would work?”

 

Kris raised a brow “Why would I?”

 

“Your servant, your responsibility” Mr. Harley announced.

 

“Did you and uncle ever—“

 

“Oh, dear no!” Mr. Harley exclaimed “I don’t dare visit my master’s chambers when he is present. Perhaps I’m being cheeky for my old age but—“

 

“But what?” Kris was impatient.

 

The old butler gave a small grin before clearing his throat “Servants aren’t privileged to go to the master’s bedroom, only the head butler must be asked unless it is of utmost importance— even if he is young master’s personal valet. And I did not mean to overhear but Mr. Han just called young master by his given name, servants are bound to a contract which makes my claim a very strong proof against Mr. Han”

 

Kris kept his silence.

 

“But of course, I wouldn’t do that. He is your responsibility after all” Mr. Harley leaned, “and something tells me he is not just a mere servant for you.” he whispered.

 

“You are old and you are hearing things you shouldn’t” Kris replied.

 

“Perhaps I am” he gave a pleased smile before walking back to the kitchen “Have a good night, young master”

 

 


 

 

I’m thirsty.

 

It’s cold.

 

I can’t control my body.

 

Where is my body taking me?

 

I’m scared.

 

It’s dark.

 

I’m alone.

 

Where is everybody?

 

I can’t see.

 

I can’t speak.

 

My voice won’t come out.

 

Am I dreaming?

 

 


 

 

“Young master!” Mr. Harley aggressively knocked on the door of Kris’ chambers “Young master!”

 

Kris hurriedly opened the doors as the distressed butler slowly catches his breath “What is it?”

 

“It’s Mr. Han! I-I saw him walking towards the back door when I was doing my rounds. I called out to him many times but he did not respond. I went after him but it was too late, he was long gone in the dark!” Mr. Harley exclaimed miserably. Before he could say anything, Kris had already rushed towards the said direction.

 

 


 

 

“Lu Han!” Kris called, but there was no response.

 

“Young master” Mr. Harley managed to catch up.

 

Kris examined the grounds carefully, eyes concentrating against the darkness with only the moonlight as his ally. He succeeded to see some barely noticeable fresh tracks from the moist soil. Without averting his gaze from the tracks, he asked “Mr. Harley, where does this direction lead to?”

 

“Dear, me” Mr. Harley exclaimed “the deeper side of the moat!”

 

“Bring me a torch!” Kris demanded.

 

“Right away, sir!” Mr. Harley hurriedly went back to the castle.

 

 


 

 

Something is holding my legs.

 

I can’t move.

 

It’s cold.

 

I’m being strangled.

 

I can’t breathe.

 

Somebody

 

 


 

 

Kris came out of the water as Lu Han’s unconscious body lay still against his arms. Fortunately, Lu Han’s body has submerged slowly that he was able to see his figure in shallow waters, enabling him to save the younger one from drowning completely in the freezing water.

 

Kris had managed to drag Lu Han out of the water where Mr. Harley awaited in worry and distraught “Young master! Oh, thank God!” the old butler’s voice trembled.

 

Kris did not waste any time for Lu Han’s life might be in great danger and instead, he positioned the brunette’s cold body so as that his back lay flat against the ground. Kris leaned, surely, he wasn’t breathing.

 

He clenched his palms onto Lu Han’s chest, pumping it in the process but it was no avail. Kris continued to do so, not giving up in saving a person’s life.

 

One

 

Two

 

Three

 

He opened Lu Han’s mouth, pressing his lips against Lu Han’s cold ones. Kris breathed warm air continuously to reach the younger one’s lungs. Again, he clenched his palms and pumped Lu Han’s chest.

 

One

 

Two

 

Three

 

Kris reached for Lu Han’s mouth again, but this time, he could feel minute vacuum and the brunette finally coughed water that filled his lungs.

 

Lu Han grabbed Kris for dear life, closing his eyes and convincing himself it wasn’t a dream. The last thing he sees before he lost consciousness again was Kris’ relieved face.