Chapter III

Hellhound

 

“Have you traced who the sender is?” Chief Duncan eyed the telegram cautiously.

 

“It must be a prank” Rhys Moran suggested “someone who wants to intervene with the investigation?”

 

Duncan gave the young lad a disapproving look “The investigation is done. Suicide is a suicide”

 

“Then how do we explain the initials?” Harrison interposed.

 

Once the publication of Lady Lowell’s case was over, Rhys Moran had informed all on-duty officers about the received telegram. Harrison, Duncan, Conroy, Dr Angus, two junior officers— Theo Gregory whose under Harrison and Zhang Yi Xing from the archives, and Moran himself were assembled together in the conference room discussing the whereabouts of the sender and it’s relation to the fourth suicide case.

 

Now Harrison was doubtful.

 

Only the initials A.W. connect to the telegram and the letter.

 

But what is A.W.? Or who is A.W.?

 

“Could it possibly mean the Abbey West?” Theo furrowed his eyebrows whilst looking at his colleague “Is that right, Yi Xing?” which the other gave a familiar nod in return.

 

Theo Gregory was a man in his 20’s who had worked for the Scotland Yard a few months ago. He was the youngest in the family of five, having two elder sisters and parents. While his eldest sister Theresa married, his second eldest sister Talia, aged 25, remained a maiden. A theft accident when he was a child made him swore to become a law abider and at age 19, he was finally accepted at the Scotland Yard as a junior detective.

 

Zhang Yi Xing had Asian roots despite being born in London. Both his parents were mercenary immigrant from Beijing yet he never stepped foot outside of England. He was a bookworm and very timid, unsocial and quiet. Despite being treated as a foreigner because of his appearance, his work at the archives— roughly six months ago, gave him freedom to explore a new face of London. He treated the archives as his palace.

 

“The Abbey West?” old man Conroy questioned.

 

“Tis the first railway here in London” said Zhang “Aside from juvenile suicide; I’ve seen many reports in the archives contain cases of people throwing themselves in the railway. Their bodies were severely crushed to the point that their anatomical parts were scattered all over—“

 

“Enough” Theo cried, face turning pale “that’s quite enough, we don’t need such details”

 

“And what could be the connection?” Duncan eyed the junior officer.

 

“Please let me see Lady Lowell’s notes, sir”

 


 

“So?” Moran asked after Duncan handed the note to Yi Xing.

 

“It looks like a normal note but” Yi Xing paused as he further analysed the contents of the letter “it is actually a skip code if you observe”

 

“Skip code?” all eyes were on Zhang Yi Xing.

 

“A skip code is one if the type of codes used by military as a way to communicate without the enemy knowing.” Dr Angus cleared his throat “Codes are also used by spies and other organization that require utmost secrecy.” he continued.

 

“And this” Harrison referred to the suicide note left by Lady Lowell “How is this skip code?”

 

“Take the first letter then cross out the remaining two and so on.” Yi Xing explained while pointing out the words. “Continue the process for the second and third sentence”

 

“Save O angels the grace of poor and merciless.

Souls of damsels tortured through and by.

Jakkios my Dear the name of Ripper A.W.”

 

“Save-the-poor-souls-tortured-by-Jakkios-the-Ripper” Yi Xing called out.

 

“Jakkios the Ripper?”

 

The moment Harrison heard the word Jakkios, his curiosity went straight up “Is that a name?”

 

“Ancient, I suppose” Yi Xing shrugged “since it has an equivalent name which we commonly use today”

 

“And?” Duncan raised his eyebrows.

 

“Jack. It should be translated as Jack the Ripper”