Chapter IV

Hellhound

 

“Jack the Ripper? Who the bloody hell is that?” Duncan furrowed his eyebrows. “All these killings were done by this Jack the Ripper?”

 

“Bloody yes, it’s obvious” Theo declared, with a proud tone only to be glared by Duncan.

 

Harrison cleared his throat, “Yi Xing, what do you have so far?”

 

“Well I found something interesting in the archive dating 2 years ago” Yi Xing smiled “Technically speaking, the first four victims were young es killed in some alley. This killer murdered the girls every fortnight of each month. What bugs me is that all the killings before are directed to es and now there are four suicide cases including the three es except for Lady Lowell, who, in contrast is a noblewoman of high birth.” Yi Xing explained “But, if our speculation of Abbey West is right, I’m afraid there is absolutely no connection whatsoever with the killings of these girls”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“There is simply no connection. Nothing makes sense”

 

“Then” Rhys Moran spoke “Do we have another name for A.W.? I’m pretty sure the killer wouldn’t give us a random name”

 

“Indeed” Harrison agreed “wait, who was that again you mentioned when I asked you what you thought of A.W.?”

 

Moran scrunched his eyebrows “Duke Arthur Wellington?”

 

“Impossible, we can’t get information with the dead” Theo smiled regretfully “Such a noble man”

 

“We can chatter all day and tell tales about his greatness but we are running out of time” Conroy was desperate.

 

Duncan sighed “We have no time, for now we shall check Abbey West for clues. I bet the lady wouldn’t give us a useless note for a clue. She’s bloody smart for using skip code”

 

 


 

“Tea or coffee”

 

“Tea. As my new servant, you should take note that Englishmen prefer tea more than anything”

 

“Yes, young master. Then Earl Grey or Darjeeling?”

 

“Earl Grey”

 

“Hon—“

 

“You should also take note that milk works best with Earl Grey” Closing the book as he rests his shoulders. He stares at the fireplace, the burning fire reflected in his very eyes. “It’s warm, but destructive”

 

“Pardon, young master?”

 

“Xi Lu Han from now on I would like you to call me Kris”

 

“Very well, Kris”

 

 


 

Lu Han knew as soon as he set eyes on that man his life would change drastically.

 

He’s dangerous.

 

But he was more than that, no man will be willing to pay so much for a bounty. Lu Han never felt so intimidated by his presence.

 

“Kristoff Wellesley” his voice was deep and clear. He offered his hand but Lu Han refused it.

 

“What do you want?”

 

The man was taken aback “A bit rude, aren’t we?”

 

“You imprisoned me”

 

“Yet you trespassed and tried to kill me. Now tell me, who has the bigger sin?” he smiled sinisterly “Now give me your hand and pretend to be good to each other” in which Lu Han reluctantly did.

 

“Good, act like an Englishman when you’re in England”

 

“Something tells me you’re not English yourself” Lu Han hummed.

 

“Let’s leave the details later” the man’s eyes fixated on Lu Han “You shall be in my service from now on”

 

Lu Han chortled in a mocking manner “And why would I be?”

 

“Because” his eyes unwavering “I am already aware of you”

 

“Aware how?” Lu Han challenged.

 

The said man flipped Lu Han’s right hand that was still on his “Clearly right handed”

 

“That’s all?” Lu Han scoffed

 

“Clearly right handed since you put a bit of pressure when I flipped your hand stating it is your dominant hand. If I grabbed your left hand instead” in which he did so and took Lu Han into surprise “I don’t feel any pressure at all. You have hardened skin on the side of your middle finger indicating you are fond of writing, like an addiction.”

 

“Really?” Sarcasm was in Lu Han’s tone “Then Mr Detective, why do you think I’ll help you?”

 

“A murder case”

 

“What?”

 

“A murder case regarding Jack the Ripper”

 

“Who?” Lu Han’s eyebrows crooked.

 

“I want you to participate in this murder game” he smirked. “Because I already know the murder weapon used”

 

“Then what’s the point? You are not making any sense”

 

“Now I only need to find out who the killer is” he paused “If you were to be Jack the Ripper, how would you kill your victims?”

 

Lu Han’s heart was now beating rapidly, this man in front of him is a lunatic.

 

“What reason do I ought to kill?”

 

“If you are to be the killer” the man leaned closer and Lu Han feels the cold sweat “You have every possible reason to do so. Just like how you planned to kill me”

 

“I was paid” Lu Han defended “If I were to kill those girls, I should also be paid handsomely”

 

“Now, checkmate” the man grinned victoriously, his tall stature was even more emphasized as he looked down on Lu Han like he owned the game.

 

Lu Han's blood ran cold

 

“I never said anything about girls being the victims.”