Chapter XIX

Hellhound

 

They had wealth, lands, servants, everything. Their parents loved them for as long as they can remember. The servants smiled sincerely every time they pass the halls saying young masters and bowing. They are always together.

 

They are inseparable.

 

The way their fingers match each other and how alike they are, they always do it together.

 

Only the other half can understand the other half.

 

But everything they had was gone in an instant as soon as their sweet home blew up on a wintery night. Their happiness became only a memory.

 

“Klaus… Khalil…” their mother managed to whisper in her last breath as she wiped their tear-filled cheeks. “Protect each other”

 

Even as their happiness was taken away from them, they managed to hold onto each other.

 

They are inseparable.

 

Klaus and Khalil were holding onto their mother’s hand as if asking god to return her back. To return everything back and that they are only nightmares that haunt them.

 

But it was not. It was reality.

 

Two brothers held each other close to warm themselves from the cold, it was the longest and coldest night they have. Their parents lay dead around them, blood already frozen. They cried.

 

A group of strange men barged in violently as they kicked the debris that hindered their way. Khalil gasped in shock but it was too late for Klaus to cover his brother’s mouth for the five strangers were already walking towards them.

 

“What do we have here?” a man with a shaved head spoke as he fiddled his cigarette with his teeth.

 

“They look scared” A tattooed man mocked.

 

Another man who wore a hat crouched down “They look young. How old are you?”

 

The brothers refused to look them in the eye, fear was overwhelming them. They were scared.

 

“I said” the man repeated “How old are you?!” he raised his voice.

 

“T-three!” both chorused in fear.

 

“Let’s take them” the first man spoke.

 

 


 

 

“What’s your name?” questioned the man who wore a camouflage uniform.

 

“K-Klaus Matveyevich” the young boy managed to whisper.

 

Both Klaus and Khalil were taken by the five strangers into a camp. It was on an isolated training ground with various tents full of young orphan boys who were aimed to become spies.

 

“I can’t hear you!” the man exclaimed.

 

“Klaus Matveyevich von Kaunitz!” he loudened his voice.

 

The man threw his cigarette and slapped the boy. Khalil was about to help his brother but the man kicked him, causing him to fall over his brother. They winced in pain.

 

“You queers don’t deserve a name! From now on you shall be called AS3509 and AS3510!” he spit on both of them before he left.

 

 


 

 

For thirteen years, AS3509 and AS3510 endured all the pain and suffering from the camp. No matter how hard they escape, they would be tracked down immediately and punished. They would bathe in ice cold water and sleep outside the tents, sometimes they would not be fed and starve for days. They are forced to eat raw frozen animals and they would run up the mountains barefooted.

 

It was hell but they never let go of each other. For as long as they look into each other, it’s their only reason left to maintain their sanity.

 

Growing up they learned how to make bombs out of nothing, shoot sharply by being blindfolded, to trust their senses and shoot the target. Each failure means torture. And they’re not having any of that anymore.

 

AS3509 and AS3510 proved excellence within hundreds of boys in the camp, they strived for freedom and they were getting it in their sixth mission.

 

England.

 

 


 

 

They are trained to be as invisible as possible. Attack the enemy while crawling under their beds their spymaster always said. Infiltrate a country without being noticed.

 

The purpose of the mission is to gather secret political, military, and technological information abroad— specifically England as their fourth target country.

 

AS3509 and AS3510 will not waste this opportunity.

 

Russian spies are sent abroad to perform their missions, once a spy attempts to escape, a bomb that is installed within their suits will activate the trigger and kill them instantly. It was one way of ensuring the deed is done and that no one can ever escape the camp. Fortunately for the two top spies, bombs were their specialties— their children. They’ve been given the opportunity to recreate the bombs into a more user-friendly program that the officials are the only ones that can activate and deactivate them and the secret behind them is locked safe in the base.

 

But it didn’t matter, the bombs were handmade specifically by them. Altering the wires is as easy as slicing a cake. The escape was simple but it’s only a matter of time before they are found out.

 

They had changed into their disguises and used a semi-destructive flare to burn any remaining marks of their escape. AS3509 and AS3510 were too distracted into looking back if someone was following them failing to see a carriage advancing towards them.

 

In the blink of an eye, both of them managed to turn sideways while the two horses halted. AS3509 and AS3510 sat in shock before their supposed death scenario.

 

A carriage opened revealing a blonde, fit-bodied man who wore an expensive leather jacket. He descended downstairs and looked at the two young boys in front of them. “I don’t think they’re hurt, young master”

 

AS3509 and AS3510’s eyes travelled back to the carriage as another man walked down. He had golden locks and was a little taller than the first man.

 

“Young master, you don’t have to go down”

 

The latter ignored him as he turned his attention towards the boys “Are you hurt?”

 

Both of them stood up and wiped their pants. They couldn’t understand a word he’s saying.

 

The man offered AS3510 a handkerchief “Your palm is bleeding” he motioned his eyes towards the boy’s palm.

 

AS3509 immediately put and arm in between them, as if defending his brother “None of your business

 

“Russians” the man sounded impressed “Я только хочу , чтобы помочь вашему травмированного партнера . Отчасти это моя вина, что он получил эту рану” “I only wish to help your injured partner. It is partly my fault he got that wound

 

AS3509 widened his eyes for the man’s incredible linguistic ability “We do not seek your help” he defended.

 

The man sighed “You are being chased and I am simply lending you a hand

 

How do you—“he furrowed his eyebrows, standing on guard “Who are you?

 

I understand you do not trust me but at least I am not one of the men who is on a bounty hunt for your heads. I am Marquis Kristoff Wellesley. What are your names?

 

Why would we trust you?

 

Kris shook his head “I am an Englishman by birth. I have no connections with the Russians whatsoever

 

Then why help us?

 

Because you might be of use to me” as Kris observed their physique.

 

And if we kill you?

 

I would not advice that for you might get killed first. As I said, you are useful

 

We do not wish to serve and Englishman like you

 

Then do you wish to go back and serve Russians once again? Those are some marvellous torture marks I see. Now, what are your names?” Kris smirked

 

AS3509 cleared his throat “Why would you care?

 

I at least deserve to call my servant his name

 

Both AS3509 and AS3510 contemplated. Should they trust this man?

 

AS3510” he spoke then motioned to his defensive brother “and he is AS3509

 

Administrative Spies. Kris smirked, “Not that, your birth names

 

The brothers shook their heads “We don’t remember

 

I see

 

What would we gain from you?”

 

Freedom and shelter

 

Both were taken aback “Then what would you gain from us?

 

Protection of England

 

 


 

 

“Young master” Eli and walked towards Kris as soon as the boys settled themselves in the living room “what is the meaning of this?”

 

Kris did not even bother to look at them “I saw how they dodged the carriage in a matter of seconds. Any average person— even with physical training could never turn their bodies in a short amount of time. Their agility is impeccable”

 

“But” Kevin protested “maybe it was just a whim, a lucky reflex”

 

“Their bodies have clear signs of massive training, they’re young but their muscles had already affected their growth. Russians are typically large people but they are about as big as an average English teenager. Along with that, I bet their small stature had helped them manoeuvre around easily”

 

“And just because of that?”

 

Kris smirked “I caught some bloody Russian spies, there’s nothing better than that”

 

Kevin and Eli said no more.

 

Kris sat in front of the twins “I recall you do not remember your names?”

 

Both nodded. “We were taught we do not deserve names

 

Then I shall give you new ones

 

The brothers’ heads shot up

 

For I am not your commander, I am your new employer” Kris explained. “I shall see to it there will be no more AS3509 and AS3510 existing. They will be forgotten as what your old names have been along with your memory”

 

They both nodded.

 

You will be Englishmen and shall bear English names” Kris pointed towards AS3509 “You will be called Kieran” then towards AS3510 “and you will be Aidan

 

Kevin stepped forward and gave the twins a sincere smile “Shall I teach you the gentleman’s language?

 

 


 

 

Three years ago, Kieran and Aidan felt it was a fated meeting that changed their lives.

 

Even in their new lives, they were still inseparable.