08.12.2015 (Holiday Spirit)

Winter Wonderland

The supermarkets started selling Christmas sweets weeks before the actual celebration, it was the first thing that told Daehyun that it would start soon, his favourite season of the year. He didn't mind that suddenly there was hanging Christmas decoration on every corner, blocking the path to the actual food, it was a part of the holidays to him. Every winter they offered absolutely everything in a Christmas version and everything that couldn't have added a print or added flavours itself simply came in a red packing with a bow on it.

Daehyun put 2 red mugs with white snowflakes printed on them into the shopping trolley, one for him and one for Youngjae. They didn't need them, their kitchen was almost bursting with kitchen tools, cutlery and porcelain but it was the first Christmas they spent in their first shared apartment and he just wanted to make this celebration special.

It was still more than 2 weeks until Christmas but Daehyun had already put fairy lights on the windows and every morning when they had breakfast together, Daehyun would turn on the radio channel that played carols all day long. Surprisingly, Youngjae was the one who hummed along to the songs and it was also Youngjae who made sure to put their new mugs on the table instead of their usual ones.

When Daehyun walked through the streets, people were extra friendly, everybody seemed to have been caught in the holiday spirit. Even though it was icy cold outside and he had to pull up his scarf over his mouth and nose to shield it from the wind, inside of his heart Daehyun felt warmth. He unlocked the door and he could immediately tell that something is different. The scent of vanilla and cinnamon hung in the air and as Daehyun peeked around the corner, he saw that the lights in the living room were not , instead only the decorative lights were providing a warm shine.

Youngjae came from the kitchen and Daehyun spotted the new item on him already. Youngjae was wearing a thick knit sweater, blue at the top and red at the bottom with white snowflakes circling his chest. It looked cute on him. “Let me help you,” Youngjae said and took Daehyun's scarf and beanie to hang them up while Daehyun peeled the coat off his shoulders. “I like your sweater,” Daehyun said as he gave Youngjae a sweet peck on the lips, the sweater felt warm and soft underneath his palms.

Youngjae hadn't come across like somebody who would put much effort into things like this but that he seemed to enjoy himself so much made Daehyun happy, once more he felt like he made the right choice. Daehyun's lover only smiled and told him to take a shower to warm up. Daehyun found the bathroom already prepared for him, the spicy and sweet scent had followed and comforted him, the heater was and on the side he found a new set of clothes and a huge grin appeared on his face when he saw the blue and red sweater folded neatly. For a moment he wanted to run out and jump into Youngjae's arms but he was shivering and thought that Youngjae would be the happiest when he was wearing it.

A few scented candles were lit in the living room, it was where that wonderful scent was coming from. On the table was their dinner set out, they only ate in the living room in rare occasions but it looked perfect. Youngjae poured 2 glasses of red wine and looked up to his boyfriend to observe his new Christmas sweater. “You look good,” Youngjae complimented and Daehyun embraced him, just holding him for a while and placing kisses on his cheek and neck. “Thank you,” Daehyun murmured. It almost felt like it was Christmas eve already just without the presents.

They watched a film while they ate, one of those that would be aired on TV every winter but somehow never got boring. Cuddled up in a blanket together, Daehyun rubbed his thumb over Youngjae's wrist until he fell asleep. Daehyun felt the warmth inside and outside and he knew that Christmas eve this year would be the best of his life.