01.12.2015 (Advent Calender)

Winter Wonderland

The first of December means a lot of things. It's winter and it's the month of Christmas and new years. For Daehyun it means that he is allowed to lift the first flap of his Advent calender and eat the first piece of chocolate hiding behind. As his alarm clock wakes him from his slumber and he searches for it in the dark to turn it off, he has a smile on his face. Ever since he has been a little kid, this was the first thing he would do in the morning - get out of bed and get his calender to let the rich chocolate melt in his mouth.

Daehyun is now in college, far away from home in Seoul but his mother would never fail to make sure he's got his Advent calender, no matter how old he is. He's now 21 years old and lives the typical student life in a cramped dorm room that he shares with another student called Youngjae. Youngjae groans and turns around when Daehyun turns on the light, he grumbles a “turn the ing light off” into his pillow and Daehyun is sure that there are many more things coming from the other's mouth that he couldn't hear.

Daehyun doesn't care though, Youngjae is grumpy because he just had a rough break-up and especially in the mornings it's the best just to avoid him until he had a large cup of coffee. He usually isn't like that. With a childlike excitement, Daehyun takes the calender out of his drawer and places it on his lap, searching for the golden 1 printed on it. He's still tired so it takes him a while but the sound of the ripping cardboard is just even more satisfying after all the effort it took him to find it.

The chocolate tastes amazing, it makes him feel warm inside and for a moment he wonders if Youngjae would feel a little bit better if he had an Advent calender as well. Maybe Daehyun can buy one if the store still has them in stock. Daehyun takes a shower and gets ready, when he comes out Youngjae is still in bed, it seems like he is planning to skip classes again today. Daehyun sighs and approaches the other, petting his hair as gentle as he can, worried that there could be a fist flying towards him if he shocked the grumpy male.

Youngjae turns on his back and opens his eyes, they look swollen and tired and there are dark circles underneath them. He looks like he barely slept and Daehyun could feel the sympathy welling up immediately, he always had a soft spot for the other. Seeing him like this was not easy for Daehyun, he is empathetic so when his friends suffer, he suffers too. Now that he can see the whole pitiful figure of Youngjae in full display, he can't bring himself to tell him to get up and attend classes so instead he just asks him what he wants for dinner before he allows him to hide his face underneath his blanket again.


 

Daehyun covers his ears with a beanie and leaves the dorm. He comes back when it's already dark but he carries a bag with a chocolate calender for Youngjae, confident that the daily treat will cheer him up a little. Youngjae is not in his bed but Daehyun can hear the water running from the bathroom. He quickly peels off the layers of clothes and tiptoes to Youngjae's bed, ready to put his present on full display so the other will see it right away when he comes back from his shower.

But there is already something on Youngjae's bed, something that looks awfully familiar and Daehyun's jaw drops when he realizes that the red and gold square on the blanket is indeed his Advent calender. It's empty and Daehyun feels furious. Just in this moment, Youngjae comes out from the bathroom, rubbing his damp hair with a towel.

Oh,” he says and looks at Daehyun, then at the empty calender and then back at Daehyun. Youngjae's eyes are searching for an escape route but he gives up rather quickly because he's just in a shirt and boxershorts. He sighs in defeat. “I'm sorry,” he mumbles. Daehyun's arm hangs loosely on his side, the present for Youngjae still in his hand. “Why?” Daehyun wants to know and Youngjae sits down on his bed and explains that he went out to get food for lunch and out of all people he happened to stumble into his ex boyfriend and his new lover, the one he cheated on him with.

Daehyun's anger is immediately replaced with sympathy when he sees the tears threatening to roll down on Youngjae's cheeks, Daehyun hates himself for that. He sits down next to the other and wraps his arm around the other's shoulder, allowing Youngjae to bury his head into his shoulder.

It's been over a month Youngjae. I know it's difficult but you should try to open up for somebody new. There are plenty of people who would like to make you happy.”

I know,” Youngjae mumbles.

But?” Daehyun asks. For a moment, Youngjae is chewing on his lips and then he mumbles. “I don't want to trust anybody again.”

You can trust me!” Daehyun protests and Youngjae laughs when he sees the other's aghast face. Youngjae trusts him.

I'm sorry for eating your chocolate,” Youngjae repeated his previous apology.

It's okay.” It really was okay. “I actually bought you one as well but now that you ate mine I will keep that one for myself.” Youngjae laughs and tightens his arms around Daehyun's waist.

Youngjae is warm and smells like Daehyun's favourite shampoo and Daehyun can convince him to watch a movie and snuggle under Daehyun's blanket together. It's a comedy and Youngjae hits him on the shoulder as he laughs, Daehyun doesn't mind, he enjoys watching the other roll around in his bed, his eyes curved as he can't hold back the laughter.

Youngjae ends up falling asleep before the movie is over and Daehyun does his best to avoid waking him. He knows that the other hasn't been sleeping very well the last few weeks but now he looks so peaceful with his face leaned on Daehyun's chest. Daehyun turns off the TV and places a soft kiss on Youngjae's forehead. His heart flutters. He's sure that Youngjae will soon realize who makes him feel good and stop wasting his time crying over someone who doesn't. Youngjae smiles, Daehyun can see it even in the darkness. He takes the smile as a confirmation.