15.12.2015 (Holiday Crafts)

Winter Wonderland

Daehyun loves his job as a teacher. He always loved kids and wants to have his own family as soon as possible. Teaching the primary-school children puts a smile on his face every day. Young children are still so eager to learn a lot and don't think they know better than him just because he's a quite young teacher.

It's a week before the Christmas holidays start and nobody is focusing on learning anyway so they are spending most of their time with crafting. Daehyun keeps an eye on the kids as they make colourful ornaments for their Christmas trees. His class is still young, so the magic of Santa Claus hasn't been broken yet an the classroom is filled with cheerful chatters of their Christmas wishes.

They are still clumsy when it comes to drawing and using the scissors properly and Minjung's Christmas tree looks more like a lopsided green triangle with weird bumps on all sides but Daehyun thinks it's kind of charming and he's sure that her parents will like it nonetheless. He remembers the time when he was a kid and brought his crafts back home, how his parents always took them with a proud smile and let Daehyun pick the perfect spot on the tree. His mother still keeps them in a cardboard box and every Christmas, they have another comeback and Daehyun hopes that his student's parents will do the same.

Daehyun stops behind Junhong, one of his most motivated students. That kid is bright and cheerful and always has something funny to tell, Daehyun's not supposed to have favourites but he clearly has a soft spot on him. On Junhong's table are a few paper ornaments that are finished, a little green Christmas tree, a snowman and a little angel and now Junhong is working on something that Daehyun has difficulties to recognize. It's round and yellow, Daehyun doesn't remember anything looking like this in the books he gave the children so he bends over until he's at the same height as Junhong to ask.

What is this?” Daehyun asks quietly to not disturb the other kids. Junhong looks up, his eyes bright and sparkling. One of his front teeth is missing and he looks so cute that Daehyun just wants to pinch his little cheek, but he doesn't. “It's a duck,” Junhong says as if it's the most obvious thing in this world. “A duck?” - “Yes. It looks like my brother,” little Junhong explains. Daehyun chuckles and asks Junhong about his brother, Junhong has a lot to tell about him.

Daehyun gathers that Junhong's brother still goes to University and that his name is Youngjae. Youngjae is always grumpy in the mornings and he likes the colours yellow and sky blue and he's always in such a hurry that he stuffs his face as soon as he comes back home and with his cheeks full of food he looks like a duck. Daehyun gathers along the line that Junhong loves his older brother a lot.

Coincidentally, said brother comes to pick up Junhong from school today. He's late, it's obvious that he has been running and he bows apologetically for being late. The first thing Daehyun notices is that Youngjae's cheeks look round and soft and they stick out even more when he smiles, it's cute. Junhong was right, he resembles that little duck perfectly and Junhong shows his brother his creation of him proudly. Youngjae ruffles Junhong's hair and tells him that he did well although Daehyun thinks he can see on Youngjae's face that he clearly doesn't agree with his counterpart, his cheeks are pink and suddenly even more pinchable than Junhong's, the resemblance between the two brothers is astounding.

Youngjae sends his brother out first to have a few words with the teacher and he is surprisingly polite as he asks if Junhong behaved well and how he's doing at school. When Daehyun reassures him that Junhong is doing well, Youngjae smiles. His teeth are white and perfectly straight and his chocolate brown eyes form a beautiful curve. Daehyun's stomach makes a flip and his hand comes up to hold it protectively, that's how sudden this feeling overwhelmed him. Youngjae looks concerned for a second but he decides not to ask.

They say good bye and Daehyun looks after them until they're out of sight. Daehyun kind of likes Youngjae and maybe he's going to ask Junhong to make another little duck for his own Christmas tree. Hopefully, Youngjae would come to pick up his brother more often from now on.