21.12.2015 (Snooping though Presents)

Winter Wonderland

Youngjae leaned his head towards the door, making sure that the shower was still running. When he was sure it was safe, he slowly opened one of Daehyun's drawers, careful not to make any sound. It was a tradition that he would snoop through the other's belongings before Christmas to find out what Daehyun bought for him and the others. In exchange, Himchan would look through his roommate's things and they would meet up and tell each other everything they found.

In the past three years Daehyun had never found out what Youngjae was doing behind his back and Youngjae thought he had always put on a convincing surprised face when he unwrapped his Christmas presents. He knew it wasn't fair but he was sure Daehyun was doing the same once he was out of sight. Last year, Daehyun had already had a grin on his face before he even opened Youngjae's gift and that was enough proof for him.

Youngjae was almost through all of Daehyun's things when he found a cardboard box at the bottom underneath Daehyun's underwear. He felt weird for going through the other's boxershorts but his curiosity was stronger so he lifted up the lid and took a quick look. Inside were a few gifts, A necklace for Daehyun's mother, Youngjae knew it because they had talked about it and an expensive perfume for Himchan. There was also a gift card for his brother (his name was written on it) and a book for Yongguk.

Youngjae frowned and moved the things around in the box, that was it? There was no present for Youngjae inside the box and his heart dropped. It was true,t here had been quite a bit of tension between them and Youngjae didn't even know why because he was very fond of Daehyun but that he would skip him for Christmas was something he hadn't expected.

He closed the box and made sure that it was how he had found it before he closed the drawer. Just in time, he shower was turned off so Youngjae walked to his bed and grabbed his phone to text Himchan. He didn't lift his head when Daehyun entered their shared room and just hummed in reply when Daehyun tried to talk to him.

Youngjae would get a nice pair of earphones from Yongguk and he should be happy about it but the fact that it was two days before Christmas and Daehyun really hadn't gotten him anything was weighing down on him so much, he couldn't feel excited anymore. Maybe Daehyun didn't want a present from him either and he should give it to somebody else instead, if Daehyun didn't care about him then he didn't deserve a gift either.

Daehyun threw a pillow at him when he stopped reacting and finally Youngjae turned his head, a sour look visible on his face. “What?” Youngjae asked. It came out harsher than he wanted and he regretted it immediately when he saw Daehyun's face. “Why are you so grumpy?” Daehyun asked carefully. “It's nothing.”

It doesn't look like nothing,” Daehyun replied and walked to Youngjae's bed, sitting down on the side of it. Youngjae glared at him, he wanted to tell him to leave him alone, to go away, but a part of him wanted to cling on Daehyun's shirt and ask him why he didn't get him anything for Christmas. Daehyun started poking Youngjae, who tried to move away to avoid the attacks. But Daehyun didn't have any of it and kept poking every part of Youngjae he could reach, he wouldn't give up until Youngjae told him why he was upset. “Stop it,” Youngjae whined and tried to turn around but Daehyun just threw himself onto the other as a last resort, stopping him from moving at all. “Tell me what's wrong,” Daehyun mumbled.

Now that Daehyun's face was so close, Youngjae's throat got dry. Youngjae could count Daehyun's eyelashes if he wanted to and he could feel Daehyun's warm breath on his skin, it was minty because the other had just brushed his teeth. “Tell me,” Daehyun tried again. Youngjae swallowed, sorting out his thoughts before he started to speak. “Why did you not get me a Christmas present?” Youngjae asked quietly.

What?” Daehyun exclaimed. “Don't make me repeat it,” Youngjae blushed. He knew that the other had heard him very well and he wouldn't embarrass himself twice. To his surprise, Daehyun started laughing. “You really think I didn't realize you were snooping around to find your Christmas gifts, do you?” Daehyun asked. Youngjae's face got even hotter and he was sure he looked like he was about to explode. He wished he could just explode and somehow escape from this situation but he knew he couldn't. “You should know that you're a really bad liar,” Daehyun continued when Youngjae didn't reply. “You gave yourself away last year when you had a drink too much,” Daehyun grinned.

Daehyun didn't seem mad but Youngjae felt incredibly guilty. “I got you something but I just hid it good enough so you wouldn't find it,” Daehyun finally announced. He then lifted his hand and showed Youngjae a bracelet with a little heart charm that he was wearing. Well, that wasn't exactly hiding it but Daehyun had been right that Youngjae would had never assumed it was for him. “I wanted to talk to you for a while now,” Daehyun said as he rolled over and finally Youngjae could breathe again. Daehyun unhooked the silver chain and put it on Youngjae's wrist.

Things have been kind of weird and awkward between us lately,” Daehyun mumbles. Youngjae's heart was racing and his mind was full with a million thoughts. “You know I'm not a person of many words but I've spoken to Yongguk a lot and decided I want to get this out of the way, regardless of how it will end for me.”

Daehyun shifted over, Youngjae's hand was still in his and he used the other hand to lift Youngjae's chin. Youngjae's eyes were wide, his parted lips looked so inviting that Daehyun left all hesitation behind. He closed the gap until their lips touched, it was warm and soft, it made a firework bubble up and explode in Daehyun's stomach. Daehyun's face felt warm and he just felt as if he was able to fly.

When they parted, Youngjae's eyes were still wide open, Daehyun suddenly felt all the awkwardness crashing down on him and cleared his throat. “Well... You can think about it and give me your answer on Christmas.” Daehyun was about to get up to hide himself under his blanket and pray that he didn't make things even worse with that. But before he was able to sit, Youngjae grabbed his arm and pulled him back, surprising him with a kiss so full of passion that made all of Daehyun's concerns fly out of the window.