23.12.2015 (Mistletoe)

Winter Wonderland

The Christmas party was nothing like Youngjae had imagined. The music was too loud, the rooms way too small and cramped and to his horror, the girls who had been in charge of the decorations made sure to hang up mistletoes. He made a mental note to avoid this area at all costs. It had been a week since they were stuck overnight in that cabin in a snow storm and ever since then, Himchan had not shut up about him and Daehyun. In general, everything had just been Daehyun Daehyun Daehyun and the worst part of it all was, the usual feeling of annoyance by the sound of Daehyun's name had somehow changed to something else that Youngjae wasn't ready to welcome.

Ever since that one fateful night, Daehyun merely grinned at him when he tried to pick a fight and Youngjae was getting frustrated, he wished Daehyun would just shout back like he used to do, it felt weird not to fight with him and it irritated Youngjae more than he wanted to admit. Since fighting didn't work out any longer, Youngjae's new tactic was to avoid Daehyun as much as possible, which was difficult too because somehow during that one fateful night, Himchan and Junhong had become awfully close and demanded to hang out together. So Youngjae had spent most of their free time in his hotel room.

It was the last night of their class trip and they would finally fly back home the next day, Youngjae couldn't wait to sleep in his own bed, with his own blanket that were so much warmer than what the hotel provided. For some reason, Youngjae had been cold every night for the past few days and more than once he felt his thoughts drifting off to the warmth that Daehyun had radiated. But Youngjae was convinced he had just caught a little cold, he would be fine again in a few days and then he would not have to think about it any longer.

Himchan a glass in Youngjae's hand, he smelt it and realized it contained alcohol. They were not allowed to drink alcohol but it seemed like the teachers would either be not present or didn't care for this one night. Youngjae took a sip, it tasted nice, sweet and he worried that the sweet flavour hid how much alcohol was in it but he decided that one glass wouldn't hurt him.

He was on his third glass when he decided his vision was too blurry for his liking and he should switch to drinking water or coke instead. They sat around a table playing card games, Youngjae had lost about every game, enduring the laughters of the others the whole time. It was okay compared to the other thing he had to endure. Daehyun was sitting next to him, making sure their legs would be touching the whole time. When Youngjae had tried to inch closer to Himchan, Daehyun had simply followed him until there was no space left on either side of Youngjae and of course Himchan was not any help because he refused to move, the worst kind of grin on his face.

Youngjae excused himself for the toilet and sighed in relief, finally he felt like he could breathe again. When he came back he looked around the room, his friends had left the table and were dancing all together, their arms slung over each others shoulders, almost stumbling over their feet. Himchan waved so Youngjae would come over, he didn't want to but he had no other choice, everyone else was dancing as well there was no escape for Youngjae.

Daehyun claimed Youngjae's side before the latter could protest and now they had formed a circle that was most likely very funny to watch. They were wobbling from side to side, somehow managing to sway to the rhythm of the music. Himchan was the first one to start chuckling and soon after, they all followed and burst out in a laughing fit that caught everyone's attention.

A much faster song started to play and Junhong drags Himchan away to dance and they fully let themselves go, enjoying the music. That left Youngjae alone with Daehyun and after a few seconds of awkward staring, Daehyun stretched out his hand, quietly asking for a dance. Youngjae accepted, dancing with Daehyun was actually fun, neither of them was really a good dancer so there was no need to feel embarrassed about it. Step, step, turn, step step - it was really fun. By the time the tune of a slower song filled the room, they had danced their way halfway across the room.

The funny atmosphere between them was gone in a mere second, replaced by the previous awkwardness. Maybe it was the alcohol that decided Youngjae should not object when Daehyun pulled him closer, yes he definitely blamed the alcohol. But why did it feel so nice to be close to Daehyun again? Youngjae's eyes closed and he leaned his head on Daehyun's shoulder, letting the other sway him slowly to the rhythm of the music. Youngjae felt so warm again and he was reminded of that one night they had spent together as if they had never fought a single time before.

Daehyun was an idiot, he was too loud and obnoxious but Daehyun was warm and felt comfortable and safe, Daehyun's presence made pleasurable shivers run down Youngjae's back and his heart beat a little bit faster. Daehyun's hold around his body got stronger, Youngjae fit so perfectly in the other's arms, there was just enough space for his head in the crook of Daehyun's neck.

Youngjae blamed the alcohol when he didn't tell Daehyun to stop once he started his back gently, maybe tomorrow Youngjae would regret it. The music stopped and they parted, reluctantly. It was the whispering of the others that made Youngjae aware that they stood right under the mistletoes. Youngjae looked up and then Daehyun looked up as well, they looked at each other and Youngjae felt his cheeks burn. His heart was beating uncomfortably fast, he could feel his palms getting sweaty, what was this sudden nervousness?

When Daehyun smiled at him, Youngjae's stomach made a little flip, the kind of backflip that told him something would happen any moment. The music had started again and everyone around them was dancing, not paying attention to them. Daehyun embraced the other again and for a second, Youngjae assumed the other wanted to continue dancing but then, Daehyun's warm palm cupped his cheek and every thought was forgotten.

Youngjae closed his eyes as the gap between their faces got smaller and smaller, he completely surrendered himself to Daehyun's wonderful warmth. Their lips met, it was the best feeling Youngjae had ever felt because Daehyun's lips didn't only look lush and delectable, they were so soft and warm and Youngjae never wanted to let go anymore. It was only him and Daehyun and it didn't matter if the others were talking about them and even less what kind of comments Himchan and Junhong would make later on. All that mattered was that Youngjae didn't care anymore if they fought or not because as long as he would get more kisses like this, it would be okay.