10.12.2015 (Sledging)

Winter Wonderland

Junhong was waiting patiently for his mother to make sure that apart from his face, no part of his body would be exposed to the cold. His friend Daehyun was already waiting for him at the door, all wrapped up in a scarf and a warm hat that covered his ears. They would go out to the little hill in their village, meeting their other friends to slide down the snowy path on their sledges. It was a winter tradition and they would not break it, no matter what. Last year, Junhong even went out although he had a cold and a little fever, this was how much he loved their annual activity.

His mother gave him a kiss on the forehead and finally he was allowed to go. Youngjae was snickering at the display of affection, not that his own mother was any different but they were old enough to feel embarrassed and make fun of each other when it happened. In front of the door was his wooden sledge right next to Youngjae's and together, they held the rope tightly in their little palms and dragged the sledges behind them, leaving trails in the snow.

The others were already waiting for them, Himchan was kicking snow at Jongup and Yongguk surprised Himchan with a snowball on the back of his head. They laughed, Himchan threw a snowball back and almost hit Youngjae in the face. Youngjae was about to crouch down and prepare for a counter attack but Junhong just wanted to get up on the hill and let the cold wind brush over his face when he slides down.

First, they went one after another with one walking up on the side next to the lane where they raced down but soon they started racing each other. Junhong was the smallest of them so the others already felt like the winners but Junhong knew every technique, putting his weight to the right spot so he would gain speed easily. Himchan won against Yongguk in the first race and Youngjae beat Daehyun. Junhong's race with Jongup was close but Junhong won and competed with Youngjae next after Yongguk won their game of rock paper scissors. The final match was Yongguk against Junhong and Junhong almost lost but halfway down the hill, he grabbed his sledge and put all his weight to the front, overtaking the older just before they arrived at the goal. Junhong had so much speed that he slid over the pavement and even halfway over the road.

The others laughed and came running towards Junhong, throwing themselves onto him to celebrate his win. They only went back home when their mothers called out for them,they didn't care about cold feet or frozen noses, all the fun they had was definitely worth it. After a hot bath Junhong fell asleep quickly, dreaming of yet another victory against his best friends.