(_|_)

효태 Short Stories Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Simply Neighbours

--

 

Hyoyeon finished up her drink quickly when her pet dog was getting jumpy on the bench. She screwed shut the bottle cap, got up and tossed it inside the recycle bin nearby.

 

“Woof!”

 

“Break time is over, baby.”

 

Hyoyeon came back to the bench to untie the leash from the bench as she bent down next to the brown poodle, allowing it to her offered hand. It put a smile on Hyoyeon’s face; seeing how Vivian the dog has grown a lot ever since she brought it home from the pet store near her neighbourhood.

 

“Come on. Time to head home.” She took a hold on the leash and stood up from crouching. They only started walking again for a few steps until another dog was running towards their direction. Seconds after, a figure not far behind was running too and Hyoyeon assumes that they were chasing after their dog.

 

“Please stop him for me!” Hyoyeon heard the person said.

 

Somehow they look familiar to Hyoyeon but she put aside of her thoughts for a moment to help them. She caught the black poodle right away when it was about to run pass her feet. The dog was trying to break free from her grip yet Hyoyeon managed to calm it down with Vivian’s dog treat. She even gave one to Vivian when sensing that it was envying the black dog. What a cutie.

 

“There you go.” Hyoyeon smiled at the settled dog. “That should do the trick.”

 

“God, it took me forever to catch him.” The panting one finally stopped on their running tracks and stooped, palming their knees as they gasped for air.

 

As the person was in the midst of catching their breaths, Hyoyeon observed them while petting the black poodle. Oh. She knows this girl. Wow, how did she not recognized them from afar?

 

“Taeyeon.”

 

The worn out girl raised a hand. “Give me a minute.”

 

Hyoyeon nodded though Taeyeon didn’t noticed it. She once again crouched down as to show Vivian the black dog that she was holding. When Vivian gave the dog a sniff and the other returned back a sniff, Hyoyeon thought it was safe to put them down afterwards. Taeyeon only joined her crouching when her pet was sniffing Vivian’s bottom.

 

“Yah, Ginger! You bad boy!” Taeyeon carried her dog and put a leash on them.

 

“Is that his name?” Hyoyeon asked in amusement.

 

Taeyeon nodded. “Don’t ever run away like that ever again!” She tried to put up a serious expression which she only got sloppy all over her face, making her to groan. She quickly put down Ginger whilst whining, “Ginger! You do know that it’s hard for me to wash it out, right? Ugh!”

 

“He’s just saying sorry.” Hyoyeon chortled.

 

“I know.” Taeyeon said as she was wiping her face. She then looked at the person in front of her who was admiring the two dogs. “Fancy meeting you here.” When Hyoyeon looked up, she wriggled her eyebrows playfully.

 

Hyoyeon gave a silly look to the girl in return, causing both to settle it with awkward laughter. “Just talking my baby girl for a walk, yup.”

 

“I was about to do the same but he just took off by himself before I even get to put a leash.” Taeyeon poked lightly on Ginger’s head.

 

“Maybe he grew tired of walking with his owner.” Hyoyeon joked.

 

Taeyeon sighed at it. “Yeah,” She smiled a little. “But too bad he’s going to be stuck with me forever.”

 

“Woof!”

 

“Don’t you woof me, mister!”

 

Hyoyeon smiled at the small interaction. “Anyway,” She stood up and lend a hand for Taeyeon to stand up too. “It would be dark soon so I’m walking mine home.”

 

“Oh, let’s go home together. I’m tired from all the running he made me did.” Taeyeon glared down at Ginger who was sniffing Vivian again.

 

“Sure.”

 

It was a long silence back home for the two girls. Despite the fact that they are next door neighbours, they never really get to see that much of one another as their daily schedules were different. So at this very moment, it seems like it’s their first time walking their dogs together and have a talk that was more than just exchanging greetings. And it was a really awkward atmosphere, both of them thought in unison.

 

But still, Taeyeon has the feeling of wanting to know more about her neighbour. “So…” She spoke without thinking of a question. It made Hyoyeon to look at her when she was not proceeding her words.

 

“So?” Hyoyeon arched a brow in confusion.

 

“Umm…” Taeyeon scratched behind her neck. “Y—You sure do have a lot of friends, don’t you?” She asked out of the blues and gave herself a little smack on the forehead in front of Hyoyeon, who was slightly surprised by her question.

 

“Yeah, I guess so.” Hyoyeon nodded slowly. “Why?”

 

Taeyeon smiled toothily. “Just wondering.” She dropped her shoulders in relieved when Hyoyeon looked away after a smile. “I noticed that you would always have someone coming over to your place so yeah…”

 

“Hmm? How would you know that?”

 

“Uh…we live next to each other and I just happen to view outside my window a lot?”

 

Hyoyeon was quiet for a while as if she was thinking something. “Mm. Now that you mentioned it, I do have a lot of people stopping by at my place.”

 

“And a boyfriend too, perhaps?”

 

Hyoyeon abruptly stopped walking, making Taeyeon to look behind, at her in confusion when she stopped. She was trying to think of something but the word ‘boyfriend’ seems to be blocking her mind because of it.

 

“I have a boyfriend?” She questioned Taeyeon in return instead of giving an answer.

 

“I—I don’t know?” Taeyeon answered as she was unsure too. “But there’s this blonde haired boy who I constantly see came over to your house though.”

 

“Blonde haired boy?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

Taeyeon paid attention to the two playful dogs in front of them as she left Hyoyeon to think of the person she mentioned. Just as they crossed the road that separates the local park and their neighbourhood together, Hyoyeon suddenly burst out laughing and totally made Taeyeon really clueless.

 

“You mean Amber? That’s not my boyfriend nor a boy. He is a she.” Hyoyeon snickered, finding it amusing as she once again encountered someone who has mistaken her friend’s gender for the nth time.

 

“T—That’s a girl?!” Taeyeon felt her cheeks were flushed terribly in embarrassment. When Hyoyeon nodded in confirm as to what she was asking, Taeyeon put her hands on her face in defeat. “Oh my goodness…”

 

Hyoyeon chuckled. “It’s okay. Amber really look like a boy, doesn’t she?”

 

“I’m so sorry.” Taeyeon apologized with a face that makes her look like a puppy. Well, according to Hyoyeon though.

 

“It’s fine, Taeyeon ah.” Hyoyeon followed her intention that was asking for her arm to reach out at Taeyeon to give the girl a loving on the head. But it was not that long until she realized what she did was totally awkward since both of them weren’t that close to begin with. She quickly retreated back her hand and they both turned their heads towards their dogs.

 

Yet they both knew if they make this atmosphere even quieter than earlier, then the thick air of awkwardness will be doubled. Hyoyeon cleared , surprising Taeyeon because of it.

 

“S—Sorry.”

 

“No, i—it’s fine.” Taeyeon flashed a sheepish smile while Hyoyeon was rubbing her neck from behind in embarrassment.

 

The rest of the walk home was only filled with Ginger and Vivian barking happily to one another. Of course not knowing about their owners that just went through something unusual. Hyoyeon kept cursing inwardly to herself about earlier as she curled and uncurled her fist in repeat. Taeyeon, on the other hand, was smiling a little to herself. That might be a sudden move from her neighbour but she knew that unexpected affection gave a little lovely feeling for her heart.

 

“Ah, we’re home.” Hyoyeon stated once they stopped right in front of their houses. “Well, uh…that was a nice walk with you.” She gave a warm smile to Taeyeon and got herself one from them too.

 

“Yeah.” Taeyeon nodded in agreement, they both knew it was the most awkward walk they ever have with some

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter