Nine

Pretender

Chapter Nine

 

“So, how will you be able to help Seunghoon?” Taemin asked Minzy, the latter grimaced as she watched her friend stuff half of the slice of pizza inside his mouth.

“I am still working on that one. And, I don’t see Seunghoon around? He has been missing class for almost a week!”

Taemin shrugged his shoulders. “Maybe his parents locked him up or something.”

Minzy gripped her can of diet coke as she thought of the possibilities of Seunghoon’s state as of the moment. What Taemin said could be true—well, maybe is it the truth. And just by thinking of her friend, sitting in his room back in their house, she can’t helped but to feel bad.

She has to do something.

“Seunghoon seems to act so happy, and he seems to be cool with his parents. So I wonder why he is on my list.”

“You told me the list was given to you by my grandfather, and the list is actually those students who need some y’ know counselling and etcetera. And the parents of those students are the ones who asked from my grandfather’s help right? Because their child is acting weird…” Taemin trailed of.

“Uhuh..” Minzy said under her breath. “If I just know how Seunghoon acts whenever he is alone with his parents… I can actually come up with some decent plan right now.”

“Maybe you could just ask some of his friends y’ know. Or maybe we could go to his house just to check him up.”

Minzy shook her head.

“I bet we are on the blacklist of his parents, after all we somehow influenced Seunghoon to join the dance contest—or at least that’s what Mr. and Mrs. Lee thinks.”

Taemin sighed. “Yeah, you are right.”

 Minzy nodded, turning her attention back on their snack. Overload Cheese pizza, one way to relax her mind and of course ease her grumbling stomach.  She looked at the direction of where Taemin is munching his 4th slice, bits of crumbs scattered under his chin.

 Or maybe we could go to his house just to check him up.

Minzy stopped eating. House.

THAT’S IT!

“I know what to do!” Minzy exclaimed and Taemin choked on his food because of shock.

“Wh-at?” Taemin asked, hitting his chest as he tried to breathe properly.

Minzy passed the bottle of water to her friend who drank it immediately. She waited for the other to calm down and recover.

“I said, we should go to his house…but not to talk to Seunghoon or his parents. I’m sure maybe they have some helper right? Or even a driver? Well, maybe they know Seunghoon’s attitude in the house.” Minzy said with a knowing smile on her lips.

“That is a good idea!”

“Yep…maybe we should push through that when we don’t have any class. And we should go to their house during office hours, Seunghoon’s parents works right? We can’t afford to bump into them.” Minzy said, and Taemin could see she is on Sherlock mode once again.

The two looked at each other; both are full of courage to help their friend.

 

 

 

 

Name: Lee Seunghoon

Program: Business Management

Parents:

     Mother: Business Woman

     Father: Former Dancer

Birthdate:

+ Active in Dance Club

+  Excels in Biology

+ Member of the Student Council

+ Active in Charity Events

 

 “His records in the school are clean.” Minzy said while reading the information given to her by secretary Bom.

“Sure, he is a good kid. I can be more of a trouble maker than him to be honest.” Taemin said.

Minzy wrapped herself in a thick blanket, they were sitting for over half an hour inside Taemin’s car. She never wanted to thank Taemin soo much as now, without Taemin who knows how she would survive the cold by waiting outside Seunghoon’s house.

“I don’t understand at all… His father is a dancer, so why is he against Seunghoon’s love for dancing?” Minzy frowned, nothing is making sense at her.

“We will know the answer once we talk to someone who knew the Lee family well.” Taemin assured her. He squeezed Minzy’s shoulder and smiled at her. Taemin knows that his friend is bearing such a heavy weight on her shoulder. Helping others is no joke.

“Thank goodness you have a car by the way.” Minzy said, the two shared a good laugh.

“And I also somehow prepared this,” Taemin the back seat of his car and reached for something that looks like a thermos.

Minzy stared at him.

“Hot chocolate?” Minzy asked with a smile the moment a scent of something warm and sweet lingers on her nostril.

“Yep, I figured out we will be camping out here so…” Taemin said.

He gave her a cup of hot chocolate, they drank in silence; waiting for any sign of people coming out of the big house. The Lee residence is magnificent; Minzy knows that Seunghoon’s family is rich, so she expects some jaw-dropping house. And indeed, just by staring in the house (no, just by staring at the gate) she gets the idea that The Lee’s are so well-off.

Must be nice growing up in a house like that. Minzy thought.

She can bet her that her grandma’s house can fit inside Seunghoon’s house.

And after waiting for an hour or two, a guy in a white polo and khaki pants came out. He opened the gates and two cars appeared.

“Must be the parents.” Taemin whispered, he seems to be afraid that someone will catch them.

They waited until the two cars disappeared from the view, watching is as it drove towards the exit of the residential. Taemin is the first one who went outside of the car, Minzy stays behind,

Good thing the man in the polo is still fixing the gate, so Taemin run towards him.

“Excuse me.” Taemin took a cautious step towards the man.

“Yes?”

“Is Seunghoon around?”

The man looked at him from head to toe.

“Are you his friend?”

Taemin nodded, getting his ID from his pocket. “I am also from Ford University.”

The man stared at the Id for a while. “Young master can’t go out of his room yet.”

Taemin stared at horror to the man.

“Poor boy has been grounded because of some stupid reason.” The man muttered, for Taemin it looks like the man is already talking to himself.

 “What do you mean?” Taemin can’t help but to ask, his fingers twitch since he can feel they are a step away from knowing the truth about Seunghoon.

“I am Yang Hyun, the Lee’s butler for almost 30 years. That boy practically grew up in front of my eyes. He seems to inherit gift of Mr. Lee in dance, such a talented boy. Too bad Mr. and Mrs. Lee doesn’t want their child to do dance. Heard he joined some dance contest in the university, which is the reason why his parents is so furious.”

“Well… about that one, we are actually his team mates in the dance contest. We won 2nd place though.” Taemin said with a smile, remising their glorious moment on stage where Seunghoon twirled like a ballerina because of happiness.

“Oh! You are? I seem to see you somewhere young man…” The man, named Yang hyun said.

“If you attended any event in the university you might have saw me, since the owner is my grandfather.” Taemin said. He doesn’t want to brag but this time, he thought that saying he is the grandson of the owner of the university can help them squeeze some information out from Yang Hyun.

“Oh my! I attended once, actually it is during that club organization presentation, where Young Master asked me if I can watch him dance. That was almost like a year ago. He didn’t told his parents about that, that’s why I am the one who attended.”

The latter frowned, he glanced back to Minzy who is still inside his car. His heart is aching for Seunghoon.

“How about you come with me inside and let’s talk, I can feel you are a good friend of Seunghoon. I now remember him talking about this dance contest with you Taemin, no wonder your name is familiar to me. What was the name of your other team mate? Minse?Minso?”

“Minsu.” Taemin corrected with a gentle smile.

“Oh yes, Minsu. Come, come inside and don’t worry Mr. and Mrs. Lee went to work already” I know, we are waiting for almost 2 hours already; Taemin wants to say that be kept his mouth shut.

The old man gestured for him to join him inside.

“Wait, Sir, Uhmmm… actually Minsu is with me.” Taemin said.

“Where is he? Call him then, I would love to have meet Seunghoon’s friends.” The butler smiled. Taemin looked at Minzy’s direction and waved his hand.

 

 

 

Taemin and Minzy glanced awkwardly to the old man smiling at them.

“Seunghoon can’t stop talking about you two last week. I knew he would be joining a dance contest, he always told me his plans in school—only those who concerns dancing since he can’t talk to his parents about it.”

“He won’t come down here right? I mean, we don’t want to make him uncomfortable since what is happening lately to him is kinda, well…” Minzy asked and she doesn’t know how to finish her sentence.

“Oh no, don’t worry about it. He is asleep and I get what you mean young man.”

“We don’t want to interfere with Seunghoon’s problem, we just want to help him.” Taemin said.

“I understand, and I really want the both of you to help him. That young boy needs someone who he can talk to and share his passion to dancing. I think one of the torturous things that can happen to a person is to stop him from what he loves doing the most. I can’t imagine the pain that kid is going through.”

Minzy swore she can see a tear feel out from the old man’s eyes.

“He is always smiling. That boy does silly things to make other laugh. He also does what his parents told him to. From what program he will take to whatever he will wear. But there is one thing he will fight until the end—that is his love for dancing.”

Minzy stopped listening for a while.

If Seunghoon is doing everything what his parents asked him to, why do Mr. and Mrs. Lee still asked for the headmaster’s help. Isn’t the ones who asked for help are the ones who si experiencing problems with their sons.

“Seunghoon is such a perfect son. Obedient and diligent. I don’t understand why Mr. and Mrs. Lee are stopping him regarding his dream with dancing. Minhyuk—Seunghoon’s father is a dancer, but I guess after what he experienced in his dancing career…maybe it took a toll on him.”

“What do you mean Sir” Minzy asked.

“being a dancer is not easy, as hobby? Maybe yes…but as a profession? Definitely not. Before Minhyuk managed to be on top, he have to do some things I know he is guilty right now. The entertainment industry is such a dirty place my dear. I am Minhyuk’s father figure; old Lee’s are too busy to take of their son so there’s me, staying with Minhyuk. Then now, I am doing the same with his son—Seunghoon.”

The old man stopped talking for a while, he looks lost in thought for a moment.

“What happened in Minhyuk’s past could be the reason why he is responding like this towards his son. I can’t think of any reason why.”

And after that there is silence.

 

 

 

 

Minzy lets out a heavy sigh.

She plopped down on her fluffy bed, her head is aching.

“It doesn’t add up.” She told herself.

Seunghoon, as what Mr. Yang Hyun said is a great child, doing things what his parents told him to. So she can’t think of any reason why Seunghoon’s parents asked for help.

Unless…

“Oh.” Minzy whispered. She reached for her phone and called Taemin.

After two rings, a groggy voice answered. Funny because she doesn’t feel bad for waking Taemin up.

“What? Do you know what time is it Min?” Minzy ignored what her friend said from the other line.

“We have a problem. Like another problem. A big one.”

 

 

 

“So you are telling me your mission to Seunghoon par to his parents is for him to stop dancing?” Taemin asked, eyes wide like saucers.

“Yes. I already asked Secretary Park Bom about this.”

“So, that is your mission…heck, we should just asked the secretary about this; saved us some time from camping out outside Seunghoon’s house.”

“Well, this is new to me! Ugh, I don’t know what to do anymore. I can’t just make Seunghoon stop dancing, and I can’t just ignore the orders!” Minzy washed her palms against her face. She felt the strong urge to drown herself as of the moment.

“Maybe you should just focus on making Seunghoon’s parents love dancing.”

“That is one tough task to do, how will I be able to do that? That will be like, me counselling the parents!” Minzy trailed.

“Cool. Another adventure for you then.” Taemin said with a smirk.

“UGH!” Minzy trashed around her sit.

“What is wrong with you?” Taemin and Minzy looked where the voice came from and saw their other friend—Seunghoon.

“Hey!” Says Taemin and Minzy.

“How are you guys, long time no see.” Seunghoon greeted while doing some goofy moves for what Minzy recognizes as a dance move from the famous solo song of one of the members of some idol group.

“Good to see you back.” Taemin smiled. Minzy groaned when Seunghoon grabbed her slice of pizza.

“Why so stress out dearest Minsu.” Seunghoon asked with a smirk.

“Nothing.”

“Hmmm…let me guess, you are trying to formulate a plan on how to help me?”

Silence.

Minzy felt ice cold water washed over her while Taemin gulped.

“Well…”

“Both of you should learn how to minimize your voice though…” Seunghoon said, Minzy and Taemin looked at each other.

“We’ll help you.” Minzy said.

“Help me what? The order for you Minzy is to make me stop dancing—you’ll do that?”

Minzy gasped. “No! Gosh no, we’ll help you with your parents and you will get to do dancing freely.”

“I appreciate the concerns guys, but can’t you see? I am hopeless.”

Minzy frowned because for her—Seunghoon is a big ball of sunshine. So seeing him down now is a big deal for her.

“No you’re not. We will come up with something okay? Don’t be like that…” Minzy said. She put her hands around Seunghoon’s. Taemin nodded and let out a gentle smile towards their sad friend.

“And for your information, I will not be doing this because of the orders and missions stuffs. We will help you because you are our friend.” Minzy whispered, loud enough to be heard by Seunghoon and taemin.

 

 

 

Errr, I don’t know if this would work.

Minzy figured out that if she got to make Seunghoon’s dad dance once again, they will have 99% chance of success. But thing is, How. How to do that, all she could think of is making Seunghoon talk with his father. But she knows that maybe, the two will just end up in an argument once again (with what happened after the dance contest).

 “So, you want to make a dance show just for Mr. and Mrs. Lee?” Taemin asked, reading her notes. They are trying not to make any loud noise since they are still in class. Take note: a boring geography class.

“Yes, and Seunghoon is the only one who will present. I guess, Seunghoon just got to show his skills.”

Minzy showed him a USB. “Mr. Yang Hyun gave me this, it contains Mr. Lee’s past songs from his performance. Y’ know, I thought that maybe if Seunghoon will get to dance with the songs…maybe it will make Mr. Lee love dancing once again and then everything will fall in the right place.”

“That was brilliant!” Taemin beamed.

“Thanks…hope this would work. I already called Seunghoon. Now our number one problem is how to make Seunghoon cooperate with us.”

Silence.

“If we have to beg on our knees…”

Minzy nodded, she is ready to do everything.

 

 

 

 

“No. Nope.” Seunghoon said in a hard tone.

“Please… just try. Please.” Minzy said, hands clapped. Taemin repeated what she said.

“Guys, I told you.. . I don’t need you to do anything for me.”

Minzy and Taemin stared at each other for a while and grinned.

“PLEASE!”

Seunghoon looked at his two friends who is kneeling on the ground—pouting.

“Seriously?”

“PLEASE. PLEASE. Just listen to these songs. You love dancing right? So, dance with all of these songs!”

Minzy hates to be cutesy, but she is already desperate so she pulled of all the power she can gather and, yes… she do the ‘aegyo’.

Taemin choked on his own saliva while Seunghoon rolled on the ground.

“Stop, it’s not even funny and ewwww.” Minzy shrieked.

“I never thought you will act like that.” Seunghoon said.

“Okay, stop. Now, will you participate with us?”

“Just this once okay, if this won’t work I am done, understood?” Seunghoon said. The other two nodded like a child and Minzy can practically feel herself dancing inside her mind.

She has one shot, and she would give her all to it.

 

 

 

 

Taemin is the one who is with Seunghoon in rehearsing his routine. Minzy is busy with her school requirements. But she prepared everything, she even fixed the old vacant room where she was practicing before turning it into some little dance studio; of course with the headmaster’s permission. Secretary Park Bom also helped her.

The set-up is, they would call Mr. and Mrs. Lee and tell them that the headmaster needs to talk to them regarding Seunghoon.

Minzy crossed her fingers. Please let this work. Please…

 

 

D-Day.

And Minzy kept on pacing on her room. She already called Mr. Yang Hyun to come to the school, just in case things won’t work. The old man is ready to help Seunghoon. Minzy aims to at least, get Seunghoon’s approval on dancing—and maybe Mr. Lee could talk to his wife.

She saw her phone lit up and saw a message from Taemin.

We are about to start, they are already in the room. Mrs. Lee is starting to have an idea on what is happening, but everything us under control.

Minzy held her chest as she breath out. At least everything is going smooth as of the moment.

She prepared herself, and decided she will watch the mini dance program.

Walking slowly on the south wing of the university, reciting some silent prayer inside her head—and she just want to cry since she doesn’t know what will happen. And she doesn’t have plan B.

 

The room is dark, there is a spotlight lighting the mini stage. A couple in their mid-40 are sitting in the middle of the room. Secretary Park Bom is standing on one corner of the room, eyes glued at Mr. and Mrs. Lee, she is already thinking of what she would do once things will go down (which she hopefully won’t happen)

The secretary saw Minzy sneaked inside the room, it is obvious that the student is trying to dissolve herself in the wall.

Taemin is behind the curtain which serves as the division—to the stage and the built-in backstage.

Minzy rubbed her palms against each other, and then a loud beat surrounds the room.

It is starting.

Seunghoon appeared gracefully on the mini stage, wearing a black pants and a grey t-shirt. It is simple yet the boy still looks handsome.  His songs consist of hits from Michael Jackson,  MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice and the most random Cyndi Lauper; Oh… Minzy can’t help but to chuckle as she remember the horror face if Seunghoon when he listened to the playlist. Though, Seunhoon added some modern pop/dance songs.

As Seunghoon started to dance, Mrs. Lee abruptly went rigid and tried to stand up but Mr. Lee held his wife, giving her a slight smile.

Minzy’s plan is working.

Seunghoon is amazing, the boy surely dances with full of feelings. Minzy doesn’t know if she is just seeing things but she thought she almost saw a tear from Seunghoon’s eye. Her heart clenched, she prayed that all Seunghoon’s hard work for the mini dance event will pay off.

After five minutes of marvelous dance performance of Seunghoon, he finished with a deep bow. As he stood straight once again, his eyes is avoiding everyone in the room, instead he seems to be looking at the ceiling. Minzy can’t tell Mrs. Lee expression because she has her back facing to hers, but the older lady is not clapping like her husband.

Yes, Mr. Lee is clapping.

Seunghoon’s father stood up and went to his son, hugging his boy like a child who won a drawing contest.

Minzy, Secretary Park Bom and Taemin who immerged from the backstage decided to leave the room to give the family some space.

 

 

“I am really sorry son, for not noticing your potential. I guess I am so wrapped up on my past, thinking that dancing won’t do any good to you as what it does to me. I almost forgot the art that made me who I am right now.” Mr. Lee said, there is a tinge of tears forming on his eyes and Seunghoon can’t hold it anymore.

He cried happy tears.

Mrs. Lee is just watching her son and husband talk, silently pacing around the room with her arms on her chest.

“I will be a good student, I will study harder but please, just let me do this. I want to dance. I love to dance.” Seunghoon said in a shaky voice.

His father smiled at him. “You are a wonderful dancer, even better than me.”

Seunghoon smiled brightly and then he looked at his mom.

Mrs. Lee just nodded. “If your father is alright with this, and I can see you really wanted to dance—I just want you to know that you should not forget that studies comes first. I won’t say anything from now on about your dancing if you will be diligent in your school.”

And with that, the women left the scene, heels clicking on the floor.

Mr. Lee sighed.

“She will come along, at least she is already sort of fine with your dancing.”

Seunghoon nodded, even though he didn’t hear the words he is hoping from his mother—there is progress.

“I am proud of you son.” His father said, glancing at the mini stage.

The younger choked once again on his tears, bubbles of happiness rising up from his insides.

Soon. He can’t wait to hear his mother saying those words.

 

 

 

 

Minzy smiled at herself.

Seunghoon already texted her that everything is going pretty well between him and his parents.

She let out a contended smile, plopping herself on the bed. She felt her phone vibrated from her pocket.

Taking it, she saw a message from her friend Chaerin.

            Girl, you free this weekend? I won the poetry contest and I just want to treat you something J

Minzy smiled, she checked her planner—looking if she has any class or school activities on the said date. She saw none and she immediately replied to her bestfriend.

I am free. Let’s go party then.

She stole a glance on the box under her study table.

“I think I am getting used on this whole wig thingy.” She shook her head while chuckling at herself.

She did it the last time right? She pretended to be a girl and everything went almost too well (if it wasn’t for Taemin who caught her) but everything else is perfect and her idiotic school mates a.k.a Kim Jongin and the gang didn’t recognized her.

So, going out with it once again will be a piece of cake.

Right?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


AUTHOR'S NOTE

 

So guys, we are all aware of what happened right? I won't lie, it hurts like a , but I know from the start that I am shipping a crack ship. Anyways, what can we do? Kai knows what he is doing.

Despite him dating; NOTHING CAN STOP ME FROM SHIPPING KAIMINZY! YAS, KAIMINZY FOR LIFE! I won't abandon this story, NOPE NOPE! Long Live KaiMinzy! XD

 

Your comments gives me strength, especially now that my feels are under some 'challenges' (wtf ahahhaha)

Love you guys~