Seven

Pretender

Chapter Seven

 

Minzy covered her ears as the loud music invaded the surroundings; the lights are giving her some headache. She is not used on the noise and the chaos around. Indeed she has been in a few clubs before, but that is also because of dance competitions, but that was long time ago. Now that she is used to a quiet comfortable place, the club she is in now is very disturbing. But she can’t hide the fact that she can’t wait to dance again.

She glanced at her watch, she has half an hour to calm herself and prepare. She looked at her side and saw that two of her unnies are already enjoying drinks and chatting with each other. She already texted Chaerin that they are at the venue already. Her friend says that she will arrive soon since there is a light traffic on the way.

She is feeling awkward with her wig, she is afraid that if she moves too much—it will fall. Just imagine the embarrassment and whole lot more if that happens. Secretary Park assured her that everything is perfect, that the wig will not fall.

She gulped down and recites a silent prayer inside her mind that everything in the night will be okay.

 

 

“Minzy!”

She turned and saw Chaerin making her way towards them. She waved and hugged the latter. She tried to stop the happy tears, she just misses her best friend too much.

“You look fantabolous tonight! And look at that outfit! I suppose you are not the one who prepared that right?” Chaerin said, her facial expressions masked the ‘I know Gong Minzy much, and she ain’t a fashionista’

“They helped me.” Minzy answered, gesturing towards the two beautiful ladies beside her.

“Chaerin, Meet Dara-unnie and Bom-unnie” Minzy almost said ‘Secretary’ and ‘Professor’.

The three greeted each other with wide smiles and they even hug. Chaerin constantly thanking the two for helping Minzy out.

Minutes passed and they just talk. Minzy is thankful since Chaerin seems to forget to ask where she is studying. Though, she has an alibi already (courtesy of the red haired secretary) she is just happy since it looks like she won’t have to lie to her friend… for now.

“So, tell me… where you stayin’ at?” Scratch what she said earlier, seems like she have to pull off a lot of lies tonight.

“Well, you know St. Isabelle’s’? That’s where I am staying.”

“So, you got your scholarship there” her friend thrilled.

“Uhuh…”

“They have the best program for Psychology and Journalism right? Must be a heaven for you huh?” Chaerin smiled and patted her friend.

“Yeah. Heaven.” Minzy said, she can taste the sourness on her voice. Good thing Chaerin is having too much fun to notice it.

“Calling all participants for the dance competition, time to occupy the floor! Come on!” The DJ said.

Minzy glanced around and saw dozens of people walking towards the dance floor, then all the audience surrounds them—all clapping their hands.

Chaerin, Dara and Bom accompanied Minzy towards the center floor. MInzy is sweating already, she is hype up and nervous at the same time. As the first contestant took her turn in the dance floor, they stand on the side watching their opponents.

Minzy enjoyed every performance. They are all talented. She was about to clap when the 5th dancer was about to dance, but then her jaw just fell down because the dancer is not just anybody.

Of all the places.

Of all the competitions.

Of all the time.

And of all the people.

Kim Jongin.

Yes, the tan male is fixing himself in the center floor, waiting for his music to start. The male is wearing a black shirt that outlined his built body, accompanied with a leather pants (not to mention hot tight pants) Jongin sure does have the female crowd. Everybody is going crazy.

Minzy glanced at her three friends. Secretary Park Bom and Professor Dara is also shock, the red haired is raising her arms as if saying that she doesn’t know anything about this.

Minzy just prayed to the gods that the male won’t recognize her.

Ugh, you are crazy Minzy. Of course he won’t recognize you. There is like hundreds of people here, clamped up so no need to worry.

She groaned.

Dear Wig, don’t disappoint me.

His music starts.

And Minzy shook her head. Not in a negative reason, but more like she can’t believe what she is seeing.

She knows that Kim Jongin dances, but this is the first time she will be seeing him showing off his skills. He is graceful, the Jongin she is used to is the one who can’t seem to concentrate on something, always picking on somebody. But now, tonight… Kim Jongin showed her that there is more to him that she should know.

Beautiful.

“WHAT?” She shushed herself, good thing it is noisy and everyone’s attention is on the perfect human being dancing in the middle that they didn’t hear her just screamed at herself.

Minzy can’t believe she just said ‘beautiful’ to Kim Jongin.

She smacked herself lightly and was surprised she didn’t notice that his turn was over already. She watched as he made his way towards the other side of the club; constantly avoiding his fangirls, and to her surprise there are a lot of familiar faces.

Lee Seunghoon.

Song Mino

Kim Minseok

Zi Tao

Kim Jongdae

Wu Kris

Oh Sehun

She saw how the guys greeted Jongin, she assumed that they are congratulating them.

I am doomed. So doomed.

She jumped when she felt a thin hand grabbed her elbows.

“Minzy, we just gonna go behind the people. We didn’t realize there are a lot of students present tonight!” Dara said, the professor is distracted—obviously looking around to make sure no one can see them.

“Yah, it will be better… hide there, or just sit and don’t go on the front. You can just watch me on the screen.” Minzy said.

Professor Park nodded and tugged the secretary with her. The two older ladies gave her a silent ‘Sorry’.

“Hey, where are they going?” Chaerin asked.

“Uhmm they are tired already so I told them to sit.”

Chaerin just nodded, she can feel that her friend is feeling tense. She just regarded it as to being nervous, well… it is normal to people who is about to perform or joining a competition.

And just like that, Minzy found herself  walking towards the center of the floor. But was stopped when someone grabbed her.

“Number 12 said he wants to go first!” A familiar voice shouted.

The DJ just nodded, motioning for the said contestant to go forward.

Minzy was speechless. And everything was on slow motion already. Her world gone mute, except the fact that she can hear Chaerin screaming at her and the man who is tugging her towards the bathroom.

A black mask was shoved on her face.

“I won’t be asking anything for now since we only have a couple of minutes. Just wear this, trust me you can dance more comfortable with this one. I bet you don’t want to go to school day after tomorrow with our school’s kingka asking you weird questions if you have a sister. Minsu… or Minzy, wig is not enough to hide that handsome or should I say pretty face.”

Minzy gulped.

“Please don’t tell anybody.” Was all she can muster up to say.

“Like I said, won’t be asking on what is happening now. But expect me to bomber you with questions right after your dance. Just wear this please, and ace the competition.” He smiled at her while patting her head.

She took the mask from his hand and carefully wore it, trying not to ruin her make-up.

She looked at the mirror and let out a sigh as she saw that mask looks like it is really part of the outfit.

“Goodluck.”

She nodded and gripped the man’s shoulder as a sign that she is really grateful. She is thankful since she saw nothing but concern in his eyes. She is thankful because he is not asking her now. She is thankful since, as always… he is there to save her again.

“See you later, Taemin.”

 

 

 

 

“Congratulations!”

Minzy beamed, gripping the trophy tightly on her hand.

Yes, she won first place. She caressed the trophy as if it is her child, inside her pocket—an envelope was placed. And soon, it will be part of her savings.

“I’ll treat you guys some pancakes? Since its morning already.” She said.

“YAY!” The three ladies cheered.

“Mind if I join you?” A voice behind them asked, Minzy doesn’t need to turn around to look who it is, since the voice is oddly familiar, since it is the same with the one who saved her.

Professor and Secretary Park exchanged looks while Chaerin is just eyeing the fine piece of human being in front of her.

“Hey, Minzy… how about you go first to the car while we talk to Taemin?” Professor Park said.

Minzy nodded and pulled Chaerin with her, who is just staying quiet.

“Who is that pretty boy.” Chaerin asked as they arrived in the car.

“Just some friend…”

“How did you know him? I mean you are going in all girls’ school right?”

Uh-oh.

“Well, he is from the sister school… Ford’s y’ know?”

“Ah, yeah forgot they always interact.” Chaerin said.

No, I haven’t been on Scholastic’s and in this semester, we still didn’t go through to the interaction.  Minzy thought, but of course, like she said earlier—lies will be everywhere tonight.

She swallowed the unwanted lump on . She felt bad at lying to her friend. But she was left with no choice.

“Let’s go?” She heard Ms. Park said, Minzy saw a smiling Taemin walking behind the two ladies.

“So, Taemin… want to ride with us?”

“Nah, I have my own… guess see you?” He asked.

Professor Dara nodded, and all the ladies went inside the cars except for one; Minzy.

“I guess I will go with Taemin.” She said in a low voice, the other three women didn’t say anything. She saw how Taemin smiled at her before gesturing her towards his car.

Minzy caught the look of her friend Chaerin, and she just knows that she will have a lot of explaining and lying to do.

Great.

 

 

“I can see they didn’t recognize you.” Taemin said, eyes fixed on the road.

“Good thing they gave the awards separately and personally, I mean… imagine if me and Jongin got to stand beside each other.” Minzy huffed; she stared at the trophy on her hand.

“Even so, I am sure he won’t recognize you.” Taemin assured her.

“Well, you can ask me now.” Minzy said, she glanced at Taemin and saw nothing but his calm expression.

“Professor Park already told me everything and Secretary Bom threatened me.” Taemin chuckled.

Minzy laughed, it was not a nervous kind of laugh but a genuine one. Everything is going smoothly with her and Taemin.

“I—I don’t know what to say. I am so grateful to you Taemin, thank you. Thank you.” Minzy can’t form the words anymore, she keeps on whispering thank you.

Taemin momentarily lets go of the steering wheel to give a gentle squeeze on Minzy’s arm. The latter smiled.

“I got to admit, you are so brave Minzy.” He said.

“And you are too kind.”

He shook his head while chortling.

“I just can’t believe that my grandfather will go all the way just to help his dearest students.”

Minzy frowned.

Grandfather?

“What do you mean?” She asked.

“Huh? Oh, I can see he didn’t tell you huh? Well, technically… I am his grandson.”

What?

“Seriously?”

Taemin nodded.

“Woah, I mean… that’s one heck of a plot twist.”

“We don’t usually interact. I don’t want the attention.”

“I can see where you’re coming from. But wow, I am friends with some big names!” Minzy exclaimed.

“Stop it dude, I’m still the ‘Taemin’ you know.”

“Yeah yeah… and I am still the Minsu you always bully.”

“I know. Minzy or Minsu, you are still my best friend.”             

Minzy doesn’t know but all she wanted to do as of the moment is scream and hug her friend. She never imagined that he will label her as his best friend; she thought that she will just be his new friend that he helped because she looks so lost when she transferred in the school.

She felt bad for lying to a kind person like him, but what matters now is—he knows then truth already and he accepted it.

“But, hey… you must always treat me yogurt drink once a week! That accessory mask is so damn expensive!” Taemin said.

Minzy gaped at him.

Best friend ma .

 

 

 

Walking lazily towards her classroom, Minzy saw Jongin with Sehun and Jongdae.

“Can’t believe you settled for second bro, but that girl is really awesome…” Jongdae said while patting the tan male’s shoulder. Jongin scowled.

Minzy gulped.

Oh shizzz, please don’t tell me they will come after me. Or My girl version. Or whatever!

“She just got lucky.” She heard Jongin said under his breathe.

Minzy walked as fast as she can away from the group, but not before cauthing the attention of Kim Jongin.

“Hey Minsu!” he called.

“Ye-Yeah?”

Jongin frowned. “You finished on you outline for Mr. Kang?”

Minzy nodded.

“Well, let me see it then…”

Minzy shook her head. Look at this lazy bum, little did I know he will just copy it!

“I left it on my dorm.” A Lie.

Jongin was about to say something but was stopped when Minzy dashed away from them.

“That’s weird.”

“He is crazy.” Jongdae added.

 

 

 

Minzy is panting, she reached for her bag and took the water jag before gulping down the water. It burns on but she doesn’t care, she is thirsty, both because of running and nervousness.

“Take it easy.”

Minzy looked around her and saw Lee Seunghoon walking towards her, hands inside his pockets.

“I’m thirsty.” She answered with a roll of her eyes.

“You’re good.”

Minzy stopped.

“Both in dancing, and pretending.”

The water jag fell on the ground.

She is so not ready to another confrontation like this.

“How…”

“I saw you dancing in the vacant room, your routine is so similar with the one who joined and won on the club last night.” Seunghoon said.

“I can explain.”

“No need, and don’t worry… I am civilized so I won’t spread that one. I don’t care what you are doing, just be careful… someone might find out soon and who knows, they might not be as kind like me.” With that, the boy turned around and walked away from the shocked Minzy.

“I am in deep .” She whispered to herself.

 

 

 


AUTHOR'S NOTE:

HOLY FXXK SO I JUST POSTED CHAPTER EIGHT INSTEAD OF THIS ONE. WELL THERE U GO~ SOME BONUS CHAPTER

IM.

SUCH.

A.

FAILURE

 

 

HOW NICE IZZZ THAT?!!!

THANK U TO MY DEAREST NOONA (u know hu u are) FOR POINTING IT OUT AHAHAHHAA OKAY OKAY OKAY OKAYASDFGHJKL IM CRYING