The game

Reset

Reset (Chapter 20): The Game


A/n: so this is the finale :’) I’m really glad I could finish this story before 2016 ends <3 Thanks for reading, supporting, and liking this story <3 Remember, an author is nothing without a reader <3

P.s.: a little bit too early, happy new year and merry Christmas!


Yesung fixes his bowtie as he looks at his reflection in the mirror.

One word to describe him, he looks perfect.

He takes a deep breath and sighs. It’s as if the oxygen in that place has decreased rapidly, he can’t even breathe normally.

He stares at his watch.

One hour. One hour and it all will be finished. A happy ending to his story. A real, perfect, happy ending for his story. The time where usually in movies, the credits starts playing.

“Hey groom to be” someone said as he enters the room. “You know, your hands won’t turn bigger if you keeps on looking at it”

And by someone, I mean someone who he really knows. Someone who forgives him no matter how many stupid mistakes he made to hurt him.

He looks behind, his step brother—correction, his sometimes extra annoying step brother is there. Kyuhyun is there, standing in the doorway while smiling at him.

Yesung rolls his eyes at him. “I’m looking at my watch, not my hands”

“Excuses, excuses”

“Whatever” Yesung said before an awkward silence comes.

This is what he hates. No matter how many times Kyuhyun said he forgave him, no matter how they looks like they are fine from the outside, the truth is, they are not.

This awkward silence is usually never there, if this is the normal them, 8 years ago, before the drama.

Instead, there would be endless teasing and all.

He sighs. “Kyuhyun, can’t we just… go back to the us before this whole drama happened?”

Kyuhyun knows what he meant. He understand the silence, he understand the awkward situation. “We’re normal now” he said. “What go back?”

“I know you know what I meant” Yesung said. “I know you’re hurt. Everyone can see it in your eyes, but you always try to smile it away, disguising it”

Kyuhyun sighs as his smile vanished. “You expect me to act as if nothing had happened?”

Yesung nods. “Please” he said. “Just… take it as a mistake we made while we’re drunk”

“You know what I hated the most from the ‘mistake we made while we’re drunk’?” Kyuhyun asks. “The memories left, but the hangover remains. The pain remains. As if it will never leave”

Yesung didn’t say anything. He sighs. “You really… can’t forgive me?”

“I forgive you. I told you, right?. Don’t get me wrong, I just can’t act like nothing had happened, you know” Kyuhyun said. 

There’s a moment of silent.

“But… if you’re willing to wait…” Kyuhyun stops talking, he stares right into his brother’s eyes. “Maybe the pain will go away”

Yesung looked up as he smiles brightly. “Really?”

Kyuhyun laughs. “Don’t look at me like that” he said. “You seemed like one of those fangirls after their idol said some cheesy stuffs towards them”

“But it really is like that” Yesung said. He smiles teasingly while he hugs him tight. “You’re my idol, Kyuhyun-ie, don’t you know that?”

“Ew, hyung, stop being so gay!” Kyuhyun said as he tries to escape from his hugs. “For god’s sake, you’re going to get married in only one hour!”

Yesung laughs. “But really, thank you” he said.

Kyuhyun stares at him weirdly. “Who are you?” He asks. “My brother Yesung never said thanks to me no matter what I did to him”

Yesung frowns. “Am I really that annoying?”

“Want the truth? Yes” Kyuhyun said teasingly.

Yesung laughs. He smiles in relieve. “Well… I need to change that image” he said. “Before you wake up, I always thought you would never forgive me. But I was wrong, I didn’t know you enough. You’ve changed, you’ve matured. You can forgive me even though it’s not something you can easily forgive”

There’s a moment of silent. “You know… I had this weird dream when I was in a coma state” Kyuhyun said. “We were back to 8 years ago, before I met Minnie. It’s as if I’ve pressed the reset button” he adds. He shrugs. “I had the chance to do everything in that dream. I can always choose Wookie over Minnie, I can always have revenge to both of you without even one of you knowing it was a revenge. And know what I did?”

“You… let us be?”

Kyuhyun nods. “Stupid, right?” He asks. “But that dream felt so real. Everything. The pain, and even the weird feeling I felt” he adds. “I just can’t choose Wookie over Minnie and go against my feelings, and worse… I can’t even hate you. The more I wanted to hate you, the more our childhood memories rise up, and I was like ‘no. Yesung hyung never meant any of this’”. He laughs bitterly. “Say, Stockholm syndrome”

Yesung fell silent. So this is how Kyuhyun always felt like. “You know, Kyu… I always envy you when we were kids”

“Huh?”

Yesung nods. “Yeah. Umma and Appa always let you win on our every arguments, you always get good grades, the teachers keeps on comparing both of us” he said. “And you always get what you wanted easily—“

“That’s… weird” Kyuhyun said. “You were my role model when I was a kid”

“Huh? Can’t you look for a better role model?”

“But I’m serious. You were my role model. You’re the only mature person in our family”

There’s a moment of silent before both of them laughs in unison.

“Oh my god” Yesung said between his laughter. “And I thought you’ve matured!”

“Yeah, right” Kyuhyun said. “Isn’t it funny how we thought that one of us is more mature than each other?”

“We’re just a bunch of kids!” Yesung said.

They both continue to laugh when Jongjin comes in. “Hyung, are you ready—“ he stops talking when he notices that Yesung is still hugging Kyuhyun while he laughs. “What are you guys laughing about?”

Yesung giggles. “Jinnie, can you guess?” He asks. “We’re just a bunch of kids!”

Jongjin stares at him weirdly. “Huh?”

“Ignore him, he’s a weirdo” Kyuhyun said. “Don’t worry, Jongjin-ssi. He will stop laughing like a drunken man in five minutes. If not, I’ll be the one who drag him into that aisle, whether he’s ready or not”

Jongjin stares at them weirdly. “Okay… no more than five minutes” he said before he left.

“Now, will you let go of me?” Kyuhyun asks. “I think Jongjin will freak out any minute and thought we were gay”

Yesung laughs even more as he lets go of him. “Well… this felt like déjà vu, isn’t it?”

“Huh?”

“When I first told you Minnie was my ex” Yesung said. “We also laughed like crazy and I hugged you as if you were my bride to be”

Kyuhyun laughs. “Now you remind it, I also mentioned that we looks like a gay couple”

Yesung sighs. He smiles in relieve as he took out a picture from his pocket. “But I’m really really relieved” he said. “You know it’s been so long since we acted like this”

“What’s that?” Kyuhyun asks as he takes a look at the picture.

“Oh, this?” Yesung asks. He let him look at the picture. “He’s my father. His name is Youngwoon, but everyone cal him Kangin. This is the only picture of him I had with me” he adds. “I want at least a part of him is here when I get married. I want him to see. I take this picture as a representative of him”

“That’s… weird”

“Huh?”

“Your father, he passed away when you were three, right?”

Yesung nods.

“Which means, he passed away even before I was born” Kyuhyun said. “But… why do I felt like I’ve seen him somewhere?”

“Huh?” Yesung asks his eyebrows furrowed. “Well… maybe you’ve seen him through me. Lots of people said I looks just like him when he was my age”

“I don’t think so…” Kyuhyun mutters, still feeling weird about the picture.

While someone they talked about just stand at the corner of the room while laughing.

“Of course you’ve seen me” Kangin said between his laughs.

But of course none of them can see nor hear him.

He smiles in relieve. “Finally, the happy ending is here” he said. “I can leave now” he adds before a blinding white rays surrounds him before he disappears.

Kyuhyun can felt the white ray. He stares at the corner of the room. “Did you see that?”

“See what?”

“That white ray awhile ago”

Yesung stares at him weirdly. “Okay, you scared me” he said. “We better go now” he adds as he drags his brother with him.

While Kyuhyun still wonders where did he saw Yesung’s father.


~~~***~~~

 

“What are you talking about with Yesung oppa earlier?” Sungmin asks Kyuhyun who is currently watching Yesung and Ryeowook exchanging their vows on the aisle.

“Oh, you know I talked to him?”

Sungmin laughs. “Jongjin freaked out” she said. “He said ‘Yesung hyung is acting weird’”

Kyuhyun laughs. “That proofs that Yesung isn’t weird since birth” he said. “I was overrating it”

“You sounds like you’re jealous”

“Huh?”

“You never have to share your brother all these years” Sungmin said. “And now you have to share with Jongjin”

Kyuhyun shrugs. “Probably” he said. “You know that weird feeling when everything isn’t the same?”

Sungmin laughs. “Oh, daddy is jealous”

Kyuhyun raises an eyebrow. “Daddy?”

Sungmin takes a deep breath. “Okay, Kyu, I’m going to tell you something” she said. “But don’t be too excited yet”

“Why?”

“Because I’m not yet sure” Sungmin said. Another deep breath. “I think I’m pregnant”

There’s a moment of silent.

“You may kiss the bride” the priest announced to the newlywed as everyone in the church cheered for them.

Except for Kyuhyun and Sungmin.

“Pardon?” Kyuhyun asks.

“I think I’m pregnant” Sungmin said. “I was feeling extra weird these days. Mood swings, clinging with you, and even… okay, it’s weird to talk about your period to your husband” she adds. “So I told Umma… and… well, she said I may be pregnant… but, I’m not sure yet… I mean, it’s only been a month since we started doing that again, right?”

“You kidding me?” Kyuhyun asks, accidentally raising his voice. Everyone in the church is glaring at them weirdly.

Sungmin coughs. She bows at everyone, apologizing for the noises they made. “I’m not, okay?”

There’s a moment of silent. Kyuhyun holds her arm. “We are leaving” he said. “Now”

He said it so coldly, as if there’s nothing to be excited about.

“But—“

“I said we’re leaving”

She lets go of his grip. “No” she said. “I’m not leaving”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah. I’m serious” Sungmin said. Tears starts forming in her eyes. “You may not want this baby, but I want it. It’s what I’ve been wanting for so long. I don’t care—“

“What are you talking about?”

There’s a moment of silent. “You don’t want the baby, right?”

Another moment of silent. “You kidding me?” He asks. “Why wouldn’t I want it?”

“Then why are you asking me to leave?!” Sungmin raised her voice in frustration.

“Because we need to see your OB, like, right now!” Kyuhyun said. He smiles. “You told me to not be too excited, right? That’s why, I need to make sure”

“So… you want the baby?”

“It’s what I wanted for years. What we both wanted for years” Kyuhyun said. “Let’s go. We’re leaving”

“But… it’s your brother’s wedding?”

“I don’t care” Kyuhyun said. “In this situation, I won’t even care if my parents decided to get married again because they are always that weird”

And everyone laughs at his statement. That’s when he realized that everyone was watching them instead of the newlyweds.

Yesung claps his hands at him. “Way to ruin my wedding, beloved brother” he said sarcastically.

There’s a moment of silent. Kyuhyun laughs. “I’m sorry, but I think I need to ruin it even more by leaving early” he said. He holds Sungmin’s hand and drags her with him. “Bye, hyung! Hope you follow us soon!” He adds before he leaves.

Yesung pouts as he stares at the closed door. “He really always find a way to tease me, huh?”

Ryeowook laughs. “And you, why you always find a way to get into his trap?” She asks. “I mean, we’re just married like 5 minutes ago. What babies?”

There’s a moment of silent. Yesung flashes a smirk. “I can do it if we hurry now”

Ryeowook’s smile vanished. “Huh?”

“I said, let’s chase them to the finish line” Yesung said before he pulls her into a long, deep kiss.

Heechul laughs. She turns towards Leeteuk. “Our son really can’t find a room, can he?”

Leeteuk laughs. “Only because your son throws the bait first”

“Only because he eats it”

“Do you think Yesung will be able to chase them?” Leeteuk asks.

Heechul shrugs. “I don’t know. If I do, it will be spoilers and will no longer be interesting, right?” She asks. “Instead, I’ll prepare the gummy bears”

Leeteuk laughs. “Nice. I’ll prepare popcorn” she said.

And they both laughs.

Seems like we also need to prepare snacks and watch what will happen next, right?.


The end~


EPILOGUE


6 years later…

 

“And last but not least for today” Kyuhyun said as he takes off Sungmin’s blindfold, showing her the magnificent view and the fireworks he prepared and hugs her from behind. He rested his chin on her shoulder. “Happy 14th wedding anniversary. I love you”

Sungmin smiles as she leans her back on his chest and holds his hands. “You never failed to surprise me every year, Kyu” she said. She laughs. “But how did you managed to plan all of this? I thought you really forgot”

He has pretended that he forgot their anniversary for the past few days, making her totally believe that he really forgot.

“Well… Joongki is always willing to help his daddy if it includes watching his mommy’s mood swings”

Joongki is their firstborn son. So, apparently, Heechul was right 6 years ago. Sungmin was pregnant. And right a year after, there’s Sandeul, their daughter.

Sungmin pouts. “Yeah, Joongki. How could I forgot” she said. “He really acts just like you”

Kyuhyun laughs. “That’s not because he acts just like me” he said. “That’s because you’re really funny. You have to see the look on your face when I asked what day is today”

She hits his hand gently. “And Deullie? Any reason why she’s suddenly interested in helping you and Joongki?” She asks. “She’s usually always stays on my side”

There’s a moment of silent. “Well.. about that… I don’t know” Kyuhyun said. “Maybe they are hiding something again from us. She and Taehyun got really excited when I said I’m going to left them with Yesung hyung and Wookie”

Oh, I haven’t mentioned Taehyun?. Taehyun is  Yesung and Ryeowook’s son. Only 3 months younger than Joongki. So, yes. They has successfully reached the ‘finish line’.

Sungmin laughs. “I think Deullie has a thing for Taehyun”

Kyuhyun stares at her weirdly. “Um, no”

“Why?”

“They are cousins”

“So? They aren’t even blood related”

“Still no” Kyuhyun said. “I’m not giving my baby daughter to Taehyun. You know how he’s like the younger version of Yesung. Weirdo”

“Oh, seems like someone’s jealous” Sungmin said.

Kyuhyun shrugs. “You can say so”

Another moment of silent as both of them just busy with their own thoughts. 6 years has passed since the ending of that drama.

After the reset button.

Now it’s time for the game.

After pressing reset button, we still have to meet the same opponent, right?. We still have to continue the game to the credits.

“Anyway, Kyu…” Sungmin said. She lets go of him and turns to face him. “If 6 years ago, you were given a chance to reset your life. To choose all over again. To see if you really want me after you know what I did to you, what will you do? No. where will you be right now?”

“Well… if I had the chance to press reset?” Kyuhyun asks. There’s a moment of silent before he flashes a smile towards her. The smile that never changed no matter how many years passed. The smile that is only for her. “I’ll still be right here, with you”

“Huh?”

Kyuhyun nods. “Weird, right?” He asks. “But that’s the funny thing about love. Even though I know I will be hurt, even though I know I won’t be happy with you, I still know that I won’t be as happy as I am right now without you”

“So… even if you had the chance to change everything, you won’t change anything?”

“Yeah. Call me stupid and all” Kyuhyun said. “I don’t know what spell you cast on me. This weird feeling, it won’t leave no matter how hard I tried to push it away. No matter how I tried to left you”

“Ah, anyway, tell me the truth” Sungmin said. “What made you change your mind 6 years ago?”

Kyuhyun laughs as he remembers the reason. Of course he won’t forget it. It’s the most stupid way possible to made him finally realized how much she meant to him. “For doctor Song’s sake, I won’t say it”

“What? How unfair”

Kyuhyun laughs. He plants a kiss on her forehead. “You don’t have to know” he said. “However, the storm has ended”

“Tell me, or else—“

Kyuhyun raises an eyebrow. “Or else?”

Sungmin flashes a smirk. Spending 14 years with him has gave her some influence, though. “Or else you know the consequences”

“You’re the one who can’t even stay one night without me” Kyuhyun said.

“Just. Tell. Me” Sungmin said. "Besides, what makes you think that you can?"

Kyuhyun laughs. “Okay, okay” he said before he tell her the whole story.

The whole story about how he changed his mind.


~~~***~~~


Meanwhile…


“Uncle Yesung” Sandeul said towards Yesung who is helping her with her coloring books.

“Yes?”

“What is love?” Sandeul asks all of a sudden.

Yesung looked up. “What is… love?” He asks. There’s a moment of silent. “Well… it’s a… weird feeling. You know, when you felt really happy and different when you see someone. Just like how those fairytale princesses felt every time they see their princes”

“So, Joongki oppa is in love with Tae Hee unni?”

There’s a moment of silent. “What?”

Sandeul nods. “Joongki oppa once told me that he felt really happy once he sees Tae Hee noona” she said. She laughs excitedly. “He even said to mommy that Tae Hee unnie looks so pretty, just like the princess on that story mommy read for us, the little mermaid”

“What?!” Yesung asks, raising his voice without himself realizing it.

Sandeul who didn’t understand just nods and keeps going about his story. “Yes! Even Joongki oppa said—“ she stops talking when someone covers .

Joongki was there, flashing his best innocent smile at Yesung. “Hi, uncle Yesung” he said. “Whatever Deullie told you, don’t trust her. It’s just a bunch of nonsense”

Yesung stares at him weirdly. “You talk just like an adult” he said. He flicks his forehead. “Do you even know what does nonsense means?”

Joongki shrugs. “That’s what daddy said when you said something about him”

“But, Papa” Taehyun said as he came out of nowhere. “Joongki really once told me that Tae Hee noona looks so pretty just like the little mermaid”

Yesung sighs. He turns towards Joongki. “Joongki, do you like Tae Hee?”

“W-what? Who? Me?”

Another sigh. “That means yes” Yesung said. “Joongki, look. You guys are cousin”

“So?”

“That means you guys are not allowed to be in a relationship”

Joongki stares at him confusedly. “What relationship?”

“What relationship? Well.. something about that love thingy” Yesung said. “And you were just kids”

“Are kids not allowed to be in love?”

Yesung nods. “Not yet”

“So once I matured I get to love Tae Hee noona?”

Yesung was about to say something when he heard someone laughs. It was Ryeowook. She sits beside him. “Seriously, Yesung. You’re debating with a little kid?”

“Wookie, that’s not the problem. They are cousins”

“Not blood related” Ryeowook said. “I don’t see any problems”

“But—“

But it’s too late. Ryeowook turns towards Joongki. “So, Joongki, you like Tae Hee?”

Joongki shrugs. “I don’t know”

Ryeowook laughs softly as she pinches his cheeks. “How cute” she said. “That’s why, Joongki, you need to grow up nicely, and become a nice man for Tae Hee”

Joongki stares at her excitedly. “That means, I get to be Tae Hee noona’s prince?” He asks. “Her prince Charming who will not make her turn into sea foam?”

“Wait. Joongki” Yesung said. “Why is Tae Hee a princess?”

“Because she’s pretty?”

“And out of all princess” Yesung said. “Why must she be the little mermaid? The pathetic, perfect icon for one sided love? My Tae Hee deserves so much more!”

“Yesung, that’s a bit out of topic” Ryeowook said.

“No. that is not out of topic” Yesung said. “I mean, there are so many princesses, why must the little mermaid? Do you know what happened to her in the end of the story?”

Ryeowook rolls her eyes. This is what happened when you told a kid to take care of another kids.

It’s like trusting your kids to Peter Pan.

“Mama?”

Ryeowook looks up. Tae Hee was there, beside her.

“Oh, hi Tae Hee noona!” Joongki said excitedly.

“Yah! Answer my questions first!” Yesung said.

Joongki rolls his eyes at him. “Uncle Yesung, is there really any difference if Tae Hee noona is little mermaid or sleeping beauty?”

“Of course there is!”

“Uncle, they are both cursed” Joongki said. “Both pathetic”

While Taehyun and Sandeul just watches both of them. “Taehyun oppa, are they fighting about?” Sandeul asks.

Taehyun shrugs. “You know, sometimes I don’t even understand my own father”

Tae Hee yawns. “Mama, what are they fighting about?”

Ryeowook smiles. “They are talking about princesses, honey” she said. “Are you awake?”

Tae Hee nods. “Daddy and Joongki is too noisy”

“Can’t agree more” Ryeowook said. “You know, they are a bunch of boys”

“Should we call uncle Kyuhyun though?” Tae Hee asks. “Seems like world war III is going to explode”

“If we call your uncle Kyuhyun, then world war IV is going to explode” Ryeowook said. “It’s probably better if we call your aunt Minnie though. Well, if she’s not too busy”


~~~***~~~


“What? So it’s all because of a stupid misdiagnose?” Sungmin asks.

Kyuhyun laughs. “I know, stupid, right?” He asks. “But if it’s not there, we wouldn’t be here. Joongki and Deullie won’t be here”

Sungmin shrugs. “Well I’m not sure” she said. “I mean there’s a probability that Joongki is still here if I seduce you”

“You think I’ll fall for it?”

“What makes you think you won’t?”

Kyuhyun laughs—again. He hugs her. “I don’t know, probably the fact that I wanted to hate you”

She leans her head on his chest. “If… if doctor Song didn’t gave you the wrong result…” she said. “Then we won’t be here”

“We’ll still probably be here though”

“Huh?”

Kyuhyun shrugs. “I mean, there’s no way I can survive 6 years without realizing how much you meant to me, right?” He asks. “I’ll ask you to come back to me sooner or later”

“Oh, yeah, and of course I’ll say yes” Sungmin said sarcastically. “So I’m that easy to you”

Kyuhyun leans his forehead on hers. “What makes you think you won’t?”

There’s a moment of silent. Sungmin smiles. “You know how much I hate it when you use my own words against me”

“That’s why you need to be careful next time” Kyuhyun said. He was about to kiss her when her cellphone rings. “Who is it?”

Sungmin checks her phone. “It’s Wookie unnie. Wait a minute” she said. “Hello?”

“Minnie, are you still busy?” Ryeowook asks, she’s raising her voice to hide the noise behind her.

“I don’t know it depends” Sungmin said. “What happened in there? It sounds so noisy”

“Oh, you know Yesung” Ryeowook said. “Joongki was just talking about his puppy love towards Tae Hee and he got all over protective. Oh, and please don’t tell Kyuhyun”

But it’s too late.

“Please don’t tell me what?” Kyuhyun asks, he’s the one holding Sungmin’s phone now.

“Oh, hey Kyu” Ryeowook said. “Speak of the devil”

“What happened there?”

“Nothing. Really”

“Just tell me” Kyuhyun said.

“Kyu, you don’t have to be that upset” Sungmin said as she holds his hands, trying to calm him.

“Minnie, tell me a way not to feel upset when my son, my 6 years old son—“ Kyuhyun stops talking. He sighs. “Is in love with his own cousin. Oh my god, is this a song? It sounds too cheesy”

“Kyu, it’s just a puppy love” Ryeowook said. “And seems like I don’t need to tell you anything”

“They are still cousins, Wookie” Kyuhyun said. “I don’t see what’s okay with this”

"Oh well, at least it's not Deullie and Taehyun, right?" Sungmin asks, trying her best to sound positive. "Not our baby Deullie and weirdo Taehyun. You should be relieved"

Kyuhyun sighs. "I don't see the point of being relieved here!" He said. "I don't see the point of this whole thing, to be exact!"

Ryeowook sighs. “You’re overreacting” she said. “Just like Yesung”

“We’re going there right now”

“What?” Sungmin and Ryeowook said in unison.

Kyuhyun ends the call. “Yes. We’re going there. Right now”

“But—“

“Let’s go” Kyuhyun said as he drags Sungmin with her.

Sungmin just sighs as she follows him. However, there’s no use of arguing with him about this. He’s just being childish as usual.

However, this is why he and Yesung are really close despite of not being blood related.

They are a bunch of boys. A bunch of Peter Pans.

In the end, they all forgot all about the reset button.

Why?.

Because the past can’t be changed. No matter how many times we pressed reset, we’ll still be meeting the same opponent.

But we can fix the future. We can fix it if we find out how to beat that opponent.

And after, we can go on with the game, as if nothing happened.

Because reset button teach us one thing:

There’s nothing in this world where we can’t fix. Where we can’t beat.

And after we can beat it, we can laugh at it, as if nothing has ever happened.

That’s the whole point of the reset button


-END-

This chapter’s a bit short, is it? T^T I’m really sorry! I just can’t find what else to tell in this chapter >< I wanted to focus on KyuSung’s bromance in this chapter instead of the romance, so I hope you understand XD