History Repeats Itself

Reset

Chapter 12: History Repeats itself

Warning: tried my best, but inspiration is flying somewhere. Besides, I’m on my last year of high school which means I need to study hard if I want to get an offer from the college I wanted, and national exams is stressing me >< but I won’t stop writing untill like, the beginning of next year, so don’t worry. I’ll just, MAYBE update slower than usual
*just like previous chapters, if there are texts in purple, it’s the present

•Song rec: Henry Lau-I would
                    Yesung- Here I am

“The one who should be hurt is me, please”-Yesung (Gray Paper)

It’s been a month since Kyuhyun and Sungmin’s big fight and they are doing really fine. Or maybe too fine?.
When Kyuhyun arrived at home a month ago after their fight, Sungmin is waiting for him at the living room. She said that she’s sorry, and she admits that she’s selfish. And after that, she acted as if they never fight about that at all.
Nothing seemed to be going wrong, right?. But no, that actually means there’s something going on.
If Kyuhyun didn’t know her, he would say that everything’s fine. But he knows her for 7 years going on 8. Sungmin never wanted to admit her fault, even once. In fact, sometimes, she doesn’t even know that what she did is wrong untill someone told her.
And a person will never change unless she’s going to die or that she has learned her lesson.
“maybe you’re just overthinking” Kangin said as he sat on the bed.
Kyuhyun is currently preparing himself to go to work while thinking when suddenly Kangin popped out of nowhere. He sighs as he turned towards him. “Overthinking about what?”.
“About her” Kangin said. “Your expression says it all, you know”
kyuhyun sighs. “I don’t know, Ajussi” he said. “I was just... Afraid”
“Afraid about what?” Kangin asks. “You guys are doing fine. Nothing’s going wrong”
“I know” Kyuhyun said. “But the more things are fine right now, the more I fear that one day, I’ll find out that everything is just a dream. You said that once things are fine, I can go back to my real world, right? To where my 27 years old self is. Now things are fine. Minnie loves me and Yesung hyung seemed like he’s in love with Wookie. But why can’t I go back?”
There’s a moment of silent. “Maybe this is just not yet the time” Kangin said as he’s unsure about his own words.
“Then when is the right time?” Kyuhyun asks. “This is strange. Everything is going too fine. The Lee Sungmin that I know will never ever admit her fault after our big fight, instead, I’ll be the one who lure her”
“You’re just overthinking” Kangin said. “She loves you. She won’t do anything bad to you”
Kyuhyun shrugs his shoulder. “I don’t know” he said. “I’m just afraid that if I take everything too easy, I’ll be even more hurt than before when something goes wrong”
Kangin stares at him. “If you know that you can get hurt if you choose her, why would you choose her again even after I give you this chance?” He asks. “and why don’t you let her go before you got hurt this much?”
“I don’t know. I just… Randomly go back to her even if I know the consequences” Kyuhyun said. “Just like a fool, even if, everyone around me and my mind told me to stay away from her, my heart and curiosity still ended up going to her. What will happen if I do something different? Will she love me? Will she stay with me? Those thoughts keeps on coming to my mind”
“Kyuhyun, this is not a game” Kangin said. “You can’t press reset over and over again when you failed. In this case, once you failed, it’s a game over. And no more reset”
“I know” Kyuhyun said. “But I don’t care. I wanted to try. And for me, it’s better to try and regret later rather than not to try and still regret later”
Kangin just stares at him sadly. “Sorry”
“Why sorry? Not your fault”
‘No, it’s all my fault’ he thought. Kangin takes a deep breath. “Anyway, if you felt like something’s wrong, why don’t you just ask?” He said. “You know, a proper talk is always the key to a good relationship”
“But what if she demands for something that I can’t change?” Kyuhyun said. “That’s why I always kept everything by myself”
“she won’t do that. Trust me” Kangin said. “And I’m way more experienced than you in married life. FYI, I used to have two kids”
Kyuhyun laughs. “Kids is not what matters”
“It is” Kangin said. “Because you’re too afraid to just ask, you ended up being slow. Seriously, 7 years and only did it once?”
“well… I barely have time for her and so does she is…” Kyuhyun said.
“That’s it. Ask her. Whatever is it that bothers you. Just ask” Kangin said. “Because you never know that maybe it’s what bothers her too”
“But—“
“Kyu, what takes you so long? It’s already 8.30, you have a meeting at 9, right? You’re going to be late” Sungmin said as she suddenly barged in.
“you shocked me” Kyuhyun said. “I’m finished”
Sungmin raises an eyebrow as she stares at him. “Where’s your necktie?”
Kyuhyun smiles sheepishly. “Well… I forgot how to wear it?” He said.
Sungmin smiles at him. “Just say that you want me to help you” she said. “You still remember how up to yesterday, and suddenly, today, you said you forgot?” She asks as she walks towards him and helps him tie his necktie.
Kyuhyun smiles at her. “Glad that you’re sensitive today” he said.
“I’m always sensitive, you know” Sungmin said. “Because that’s our roles. You’re the insensitive one, while I’m the sensitive one”
There’s a moment of silent as Sungmin’s attention is focused on his tie while Kyuhyun is just staring at her.
“What’s with this awkward moment?” Kangin said. “Ask her”
“What? But—“
“Who are you talking to?” Sungmin asks.
“Ask her” Kangin said as he stares at Kyuhyun seriously before disappearing into thin air.
“No, I was just… Thinking” Kyuhyun said.
“About?” Sungmin asks.
Kyuhyun takes a deep breath. “Minnie… Well… You know… You’re my wife, right?”
Sungmin nods. “Of course” she said.
“I noticed you acting strange lately” Kyuhyun said. “Is there something that bothers you?”
Sungmin just stare at his necktie sadly—just to avoid an eye contact with him. “Here you go” she said as she’s finished with his necktie. “You need to be quick or else you’re going to be late” she adds before she walks away.
Kyuhyun holds her arm to prevent her from talking. “See? You’re acting strange” he said. “Just… Tell me some of your problems. Let me be part of your world, will you?”
“I know you’re the insensitive one,but not like this” Sungmin mumbled. She looks up at him. “I’m just… Trying to understand lately. I know you’re busy. I know I can’t have all your time and attention. There’s nothing wrong. I just tried to be mature. None of this were your fault. You too, if you have something bothering you, you’re supposed to tell me”
Kyuhyun stares right into her eyes. “You… Wanted me to be close to you all the time?” He asks.
“I do… But that’s fine” Sungmin said. “I know you still need to work and have some social life too”
Kyuhyun hugs her. He smiles. “No” he said. “Did you know how happy I am when you said it?”
“Said what?”
“Said that you wanted me to be with you all the time” Kyuhyun said. He hugs her tightly. “I will, if you want. I’ll make more time for you”
Sungmin smiles. “Really?”
Kyuhyun nods.
“You too…” Sungmin said. “If there’s something bothering you, just tell me”
There’s a moment of silent. Kyuhyun let go of her and stares right into her eyes. “What if it’s something that you can’t change?” He asks. “Will you leave me?”
Sungmin shook her head. “I’ll never leave you even if you ask” she said. “You know I love you. I’m willing to change for you”
While Kyuhyun just fakes a smile in reply. Because he knows.
Words are easier than action.


~~~***~~~


“Umma, I’ll go now!” Yesung said towards Heechul who is currently reading a magazine at the living room.
Heechul raises an eyebrow. “Where are you going? You’re having your day off, right?” She asks.
Yesung smiles at her. “I have a date with Wookie”
Heechul’s eyes widened. “so you guys are already a couple?” She asks excitedly. “Thanks god, finally my first born son is involved in a real relationship with a girl. I thought he was gay”
Yesung smiles as he felt warm upon hearing the word ‘first born son’. It’s as if he’s her real son. It’s as if he can reach the family. It’s as if he can get closer to them.  He sits beside her. “No, not yet a couple” he said. “But I’m planning to confess”
“really?” Heechul asks. “When? Today?”
Yesung shook her head. “Not today. There are stuffs I need to prepare first, and I still need to make sure that she likes me too…” He said. “Besides, I don’t think her brother likes me for her”
Heechul smiles at him. “So what?” She said. “The time will come when he finally realizes how much you love his sister”
“I don’t know” Yesung said. “There’s no reason for him to like me. I mean, which family would want me for their precious daughter?”
Heechul sighs. “You talk as if her parents doesn’t like you” she said. “Why won’t they like you? You have a bright future, you’re handsome, and you love her”
‘Because I don’t have a family’ Yesung thought. But he didn’t say it out loud because he’s afraid that he might hurt her feelings. He fakes a smile. “You’re right” he said.
“See?” Heechul said. “You know what, Yeye? You need to be more like your brother. See how he’s always so confident? He’s just like me”
“While I didn’t look or act like any of you” Yesung mumbles which is still audible to her.
He hated this. He always hated whenever someone will compare him with Kyuhyun. Back, when they were in elementary school, whenever they go, everyone will compare them. Not only their friends, but also their teachers. Their friends would ask, why both of them doesn’t look alike at all, while their teachers would say stuffs like ‘why can’t you be more like Kyuhyun?’ Because Kyuhyun is always the smart one while he’s the stupid one. Everyone keeps on asking stuffs as if the answer is not obvious.
As if the answer weren’t “I was adopted”.
Is he supposed to act confident like Heechul and smart like Hankyung?. No. He’s not even their real son. No matter how they acted like he is, no matter how he, himself thought that he is, the time will come that he need to admit the truth.
That they are just his step parents.
Heechul flashes a smile and shook her head. “No, Yeye” she said. “You’re just like Hannie. You’re always so calm, and you solved your problems in a mature way”
“you’re just trying to find the resemblance” Yesung said.
“No, I don’t” Heechul said. “Why would I? You really looks like him in so many ways”
“But I’m not your son”
There’s a moment of silent. Heechul hugs him. “You’re our son” she said. “If you’re not our son, then whose son are you?”
“Son of Kim—“ he stopped talking when Heechul glares at him seriously. “here it comes, you acted just like when you first arrived here” she said. “Stop feeling so insecure, will you? Remember, you’re my son, my Yesung, and will always be mine”
Yesung smiles at her. “Yes, Umma” he said.
“Now, you better go, or else you’re going to be late” Heechul said. “Fighting!”
“Thanks” Yesung said as he stands up and walks away. “I’ll go now”
Heechul waves at him. “Don’t get anyone pregnant! You’re not even a couple yet!” She said towards him.
“Aish! Umma!”
Heechul just laughs softly. “Be safe” she said. “I love you”
Yesung smiles as he waves his hands towards her. “I love you too” he said before he left as he try to ignore all his fears of being abandoned.
‘Umma and Appa loves you. Stop feeling so insecure. You’re their son. Their precious son. They won’t abandon you just like what your real mother did to you’ he thought.


~~~***~~~


Ryeowook was shocked when she saw Yesung waiting in front of her office. She was about to have lunch with her colleagues.
“Hey” Yesung said. “Let’s have lunch together”
“B-but—“ Ryeowook stopped for a while. Why does Yesung really loved to show up in front of her office, still wearing his uniform?. He made her seemed like she has some kind of a for uniforms. “I thought you were in Paris?”
“I just arrived an hour ago and decided to fetch you to have lunch together” Yesung said. “And then maybe we could go to the hospital together? Or if you want, maybe we can go to the hospital first before I drop you here”
“Ms. Kim, is this your pilot boyfriend that everyone is talking about?” One of Ryeowook’s colleagues said. “He’s so handsome. You look good together”
Ryeowook was about to say no when Yesung smiles at her colleagues. “Thanks, but I’m not her boyfriend” he said. “My name is Cho Yesung, I’m her fiancee”
“What?!” Everyone—including Ryeowook shouts in unison.
Yesung smiles sweetly at her. “Why honey? You sounded so shocked” he said. “It’s been a year since we’re engaged. You need to get used to it”
“A year?” Her colleagues said in unison. “But how come we just met you today?”
“What a year?” Ryeowook whispered to him. “We’re not even a couple!”
Yesung just ignores her as he smiles towards her colleagues. “I was really busy that I didn’t have much time with Wookie” he said. “But we were thinking, maybe we finally could end this engagement and getting ready to tie the knot, so I’m sparing more time for her”
“Oh my, really? Congratulations! Ms. Kim, why don’t you tell us earlier?”
“maybe she’s just shy” Yesung said while Ryeowook just smiles weakly in response. “Anyway, I’m so sorry, but we need to go now. She’s going to have lunch with me”
“I can’t” Ryeowook said. “I’m having lunch with my colleagues”
“No, no, that’s fine Ms. Kim, you can go if you want. However your fiancee is more important than us” one of her colleagues said.
“But—“
“No, that’s fine, Ms. Kim. You need to spend more time on your future husband”
Yesung smiles at them. “Thank you” he said. “And thank you too for taking care of our Wookie. She may be careless sometimes, but she’s such a hardworking girl”
“I’m not careless!” Ryeowook said as she hits his chest gently.
Her colleagues laughs at them. “Well, then, we better get going” one of them said.
Yesung just smiles while bowing at them. Ryeowook ignores him as she enters his car. Yesung follows her.
“Why?” He asks.
Ryeowook didn’t answer.
“Are you—“
“Yesung-ssi, you said you wanted to have lunch. Then fine, let’s go. I don’t have much time”
“What’s with the ‘ssi’?” Yesung asks. “Just tell me, is there something bothering you?”
Ryeowook sighs. “Why did you lied towards them?”
Yesung smiles. “So that’s why” he said. “I was wondering why are you acting cold
towards me all of a sudden”
Ryeowook just pouts at him. “You’re so weird” she said. “I’ve rejected you. Our relationship is supposed to be awkward right now. Why are you still following me? You even lied towards my colleagues. What if one day I will not end up with you? What will I tell them?”
“So you want our relationship to be awkward?”
“Aish! It’s not like that!”
Yesung laughs softly as he pinches her cheek gently. “Told you, Wookie. I won’t give up until you say yes” he said. “And if one day you won’t end up with me, then I will keep trying until you end up with me. And I don’t care what are you going to say”
“Such a brat”
“That’s why people sometimes mistaken me and Kyu as a real siblings”
“Whatever” Ryeowook said. “Anyway, if you still want me to give you a chance, stop acting like that, okay?”
“Like what?”
“Stop doing whatever you like” Ryeowook said. “This world doesn’t have to go the way you want it. If you break this rule, then I’ll never, ever, ever, give you anymore chances. Do you understand?”
Yesung pouts at her. “You’re so mean”
“Take it or leave it?”
“Fine, fine” Yesung said. “I understand”
“Promise?”
“Promise”
Ryeowook smiles at him. “Good. Then let’s go” she said cheerfully.


~~~***~~~


Sungmin was talking to someone over the phone when Kyuhyun hugged her from behind. She stops talking as she stares at him.
She smiles. “You shocked me” she said.
Kyuhyun just ignores her as he hug her tight. “Happy birthday”
“I thought you don’t remember” Sungmin said as she holds his hands.
“I never forget about that” Kyuhyun said. “Who are you talking to?”
A month has passed since Kyuhyun promised to give her his time when she needs it, and he keeps his promise up untill now. That’s why they are doing fine now.
“Umma and Appa. You want to talk to them?”
Kyuhyun shook his head. “I’ll just watch you” he said.
Sungmin just smiles at him before going back to her phone call.
“Is that Kyuhyun?” Sulli asks.
Sungmin pouts. “Who else?” She asks.
Sulli laughs softly. “Well… Your other man, maybe?”
“Umma, you know I love him so much. I can never do that to him”
“who knows?” Sulli asks. “Where is he? I want to talk with him”
“He said he will just watch me talk to you”
“Such an arrogant son-in-law” Sulli said. “Just give the phone to him. Tell him I want to talk to him”
“I’m getting jealous now”
Sulli laughs. “I’m not going to take him from you, Minnie” she said. “You need to stop acting childish. You’re a lady now, and you’re already married. And sooner or later, you’ll be a mother. Stop being childish. And stop making Kyuhyun lure you in every fight. Because you know, sometimes you’re the one who is at fault”
Sungmin pouts. “I know. I already try to fix that one” she said. “But he thought I was up to something, so I stopped”
Sulli laughs softly. “Maybe you seemed scary” she said. “Anyway, I have something I really wanted to say. Where is he?”
“Okay, okay, I’ll give the phone to him”
Kyuhyun stares at her confusedly. “Why?”
“Umma wants to talk to you”
Kyuhyun gets the phone. “Hello?”
He can hear Sulli smiles in relieve. “Here you are” she said. “I was afraid that I’m not be able to talk to you anymore”
Kyuhyun raises his eyebrows confusedly. “Umma, what are you talking about?”
“Kyuhyun, you know, I’m getting old” Sulli said. “I don’t know whether I’ll be able to talk to you again in the future or not”
Kyuhyun didn’t say anything. It’s as if he can remember this conversation. He ever has this conversation once, but he can’t remember when. “Umma, what—“
“Kyuhyun, listen to me” Sulli said. “Minnie can be childish and super y sometimes. I’m her mother and I admit that. Me and Jonghyun spoiled her too much. If someday you lose your patient towards her, don’t ever consider to hold it back. Just say what bothers you to her. Sometimes she need someone to make it clear for her, or else she will never notice how you feel”
“Huh?”
“I’m afraid that I won’t have the chance to talk to you about this anymore. I love Minnie just like my own daughter because I can’t have one. And I really like you for my precious daughter. I don’t want you to keep everything but one day, you’ll end up stop understanding her and divorce her” Sulli said. “Please, if anything bothers you, just tell her. She’s going to understand for you. I know her”
Now he remember this conversation. This is one of the moment where he regret the most in his life. 1st of January 2012, Sungmin’s 22nd birthday, and also the day when her parents died in an accident. Sulli calls Sungmin early in the morning to say happy birthday to her and to inform their surprise visit to their house. And Sulli even said some sort of last words to him, but he’s too stupid to realize it.
If only he realized it.
If only he was able to tell her not to come, then that accident will never happened and Sungmin’s parents will still be alive.
“Kyuhyun?” Sulli ask when she didn’t hear any response from him.
“Umma, where are you right now?”
“Minnie didn’t tell you? We’re currently heading there. We’re going to celebrate Minnie’s birthday with you”
“Don’t go here”
“Huh?” Sulli ask.
“Umma, don’t go here. We’re going to go there instead. Just wait” Kyuhyun said. He’s not a fool. He’s not going to let this opportunity go.
He can hear Sulli laughs softly. “You’re too late. We’re almost there” she said. “We’re going to see you there. I have to end this call now. Take good care of my daughter”
“Why? What happened? Why you told them not to come here?” Sungmin asks. “You don’t want me to meet my parents?”
Kyuhyun sighs. “No, it’s not like that” he said frustratedly. ‘I can’t just tell you that your parents will die on their way here’ he thought. “I just—I have a really bad feeling about this. Umma talked as if she will never have a chance to meet us anymore, I’m afraid that something bad will happen to them. Help me stop them—“
He stops talking when Sungmin kissed his lips. “It’s just your feeling. Nothing bad will happen to them. They are my parents. They will stay for me”
“but—“
“Okay, Mr. Paranormal, I’m starting to hate this”
Kyuhyun sighs—again. “Fine” he said.
Sungmin smiles at him. “Good. Trust me, they are going to be fine”
“Yeah” Kyuhyun said. “I hope”


~~~***~~~

Sungmin keeps on looking at the clock on the wall while walking back and forth. “This is late already, why haven’t they arrived?”
Another déjà vu, this happened once too. Rainstorm, late night, Sungmin’s parents not yet arriving.
“This is rainstorm. Maybe they are taking a break somewhere” Kyuhyun said, trying to sound as positive as he can. Well, however lots of things changed in this reset version, right?. Probably Sungmin’s parents’ minds too.
“That’s impossible. It’s not like they leave from far far away” Sungmin said. “Besides, I heard Umma said that they are getting near”
Now all they need to make this conversation the exact same is only a phone call from the hospital.
That’s when the phone starts ringing. “I’ll get it” Sungmin said as she ran towards the telephone.
“Hello?” Sungmin said. “Yes, I’m Lee Sungmin. What happened?”
There’s a moment of silent.
“Yes, they are my parents. Who are you? What happened to them?”
Another moment of silent. Sungmin’s eyes widened as she dropped the phone on the floor.
“Why? What’s going on?”
Sungmin’s tears start running down her cheeks. “You— you were right about all those bad feelings” she said weakly. She walks towards the door. “I—I need to go now. They got in an accident and is in a critical condition”
Kyuhyun holds her arm. “Are you crazy? This is rainstorm!”
“Then what am I supposed to do? Wait here while my parents is in a critical condition?!”
No. He can’t cry. Kyuhyun can’t cry. Not yet. He needs to pretend that he doesn’t know all of this yet.
But one thing he knew. Having to lose the person you take as a second parents the second time hurts more than the first time.
“Let’s go there together. I’ll drive” he said calmly.

~~~***~~~

Yesung keeps on smiling as he stares at Ryeowook who is eating her lunch calmly.
Ryeowook looked up and stares at him confusedly. “Excuse me, is there something wrong in my face?”
Yesung shook his head. “No”
“Then why are you staring at me?”
“Is it a crime to admire god’s perfect masterpiece?”
Ryeowook coughs. She gets a glass of water and drinks it. “Extra cheesy”
Yesung laughs. “But that’s the truth”
“You really want me to die of suffocation, huh?”
“Why would I want the reason that I live die? If you die, then I won’t have any reason to live anymore, so I should die too”
Ryeowook laughs. “Yesung, stop it, that’s too cheesy”
Yesung smiles in relieve. “It’s good to see you smile again” he said. “It’s too awkward. We’re so close, yet so far”
Ryeowook’s smile vanished as she puts down her fork and knife. “Yesung, you know what?” She said. She takes a deep breath. “I love you 7 years ago. And I still love you now”
Yesung stares at her. “Then, why—“ he stops as he doesn’t know what else to say.
“I really wanted to say yes when you finally confessed to me. But part of me wants to say no, I’m too scared to be hurt again. I’m not ready with all of this” Ryeowook said. “4 years ago, I really loved you. You made me believe that I can be loved too, you made me fight with my brother just for you, you made me believe that finally there’s a man that loves me. I was just waiting for you to confess to me, I’m not Minnie who is brave enough to propose the man she loves, so I waited. But what you did towards me? You left me without any words. You just cancelled our date that day,without explaining, why do you need to cancel it. I was really upset, but I tried to cheer myself, thinking that you’re just busy, so I waited and waited and waited, hoping that someday you’ll ring my doorbell or call me to ask me on a date and confessed to me, but you just left. As if you asked for break up when you cancelled our date”
“Wookie, I—“
“I never heard from you for years, and when I heard about you again after years is that you’re cheating with your brother’s wife. You think, how am I supposed to react? Hearing that the man I love is doing such a bad thing?” She takes a deep breath as tears start running down her cheeks. “I love you, but you hurt me. Why did you hurt me when all I do is loving you quietly and waited for you?”
Yesung stands up and hugs her tight. “I’m sorry” he whispers to her ears as he rubs her back.
“Yesung, I— I’ve promised myself that I’ll never fall in love again”
“No. Don’t do that. Break your promise for me, okay?”
She pushed him away. She shook her head. “I can’t” she said. “The pain you left, it never seems to heal. I don’t want to love you anymore if it will just hurt me like this. Yesung-ssi, I just wanted to make clear. I just wanted you to know that I’m no longer for you. That I’ll just go on with my life”
“No, Wookie, please, don’t do this”
“Yes, I’ll do this” Ryeowook said. “I wish you happiness”
“But you’re my happiness” Yesung said weakly. “You’re the only reason I live now”
“Don’t say that”
“But that’s the truth. I’ve got everything that I wanted before. A complete family, a good career, and even you. But I ruined it” Yesung said as he holds her arm to prevent her from leaving. “I was really desperate. I could jump off of a skyscraper anytime. But you told me how life was worth living. You told me that I’m not alone, you stayed for me. But now, after you make me believe how my life was worth living, you wanted to leave? Please, don’t go”
Ryeowook shook her head. “Like I’ve told you a lot of times, somewhere, someday, you’ll meet the girl of your life. And that girl is not me. And once you meet that girl, you’ll finally see how your life is worth living even without me” she said. She forces a smile. “Whoever she is, I wish you happiness with her, and I’m looking forward to your wedding invitation. You see, oppa, you’re getting old” she tried to say it playfully, but failed. It makes her sound even more pathetic than she already is.
Yesung smiled weakly. “I really messed up, right?”
“Yes, you did” Ryeowook said. “But you’ll find a way to fix it” she adds before she left. Leaving Yesung dumbfounded.


~~~***~~~

They arrived late that day. Sungmin’s parents were already gone by the time they arrived. Sungmin cried a lot. Maybe even more than how Kyuhyun remember it.
Seeing people come and go as they put white lilies in front of her parents pictures too, hurts more than the first time.
He was given a chance. Why he’s unable to stop it?. If only he’s able to stop it, he’s not going to experience this the second time.
“You know what? Stop blaming yourself. This is none of your fault” Kangin said. “You can never make dead person alive again”
He knows. He knows that it’s none of his fault, but he needs someone to take the blame right now. And it’s better for it to be him.
“This is all my fault” Sungmin said weakly. “If only I believed you, if only I helped you convince them—“ she stops talking when Kyuhyun hugs her.
“Don’t blame yourself. It was my fault”
“But it really is my fault”
“No, please stop blaming yourself” Kyuhyun said. “I promised to protect you. If there’s someone who’s going to be hurt, then that’s me”
Sungmin didn’t say anything. She leaned her head on his chest. “I tried to cry to make things better. But my tears won’t come out” she said weakly. “And I just realized that I already cried too much that my tears won’t come out again. I can’t believe that they just left me alone like this”
Kyuhyun rubs her back. “You’re not alone, you have me”
“There’s so much thing I haven’t gave them yet. They are so kind towards me even though I’m just their step daughter, but I haven’t gave them anything in return”
“No. You’ve gave them you. A very precious and loving daughter” Kyuhyun said. “If you can’t cry anymore, then don’t cry. I’m here for you. You can just lean on me like this”
“Don’t lie. I’m not precious. I’m not loving. I’m just a heard headed daughter”
“If you’re not precious, then why am I protecting you?”
Sungmin didn’t say anything. She looks up to stare right into his eyes. “Kyu, tell me, all of this is just a dream, right? My parents is still alive, right? When I wake up and tell you all of this, you’ll just laugh at me, right?”
Kyuhyun didn’t say anything. He just hugs her tighter as he rubs her back.
There was a moment of silent when suddenly Kyuhyun’s cellphone rings. “Wait a minute. I forgot to turn it off” he said as he lets go of her. “Hello?”
“Let me guess, your secretary?” Sungmin ask.
Kyuhyun nods. “Sorry” he said. “What? No, I’m not talking to you. So what are you talking about earlier?”
There’s a moment of silent.
“I can’t. My in-laws just passed away”
Another moment of silent.
Kyuhyun sighs. “Can’t vice president Song attend it instead? I really can’t right now” he asks. Another moment of silent, another sighs. “Fine. I’ll go there”
“What happened?”
“There’s a meeting I need to attend right now”
“Can’t your vice president attend it for you?”
“I know. I asked that too, but I forgot that my Vice President is currently in L.A. For another project, so he can’t” Kyuhyun said. “I’m sorry, I need to go now. I promise I’ll be back before 6 P.M.” He said as he stands up.
Sungmin holds his hand to stop him from leaving. “No, don’t go. I need you here, right now” she said.
“I’m really sorry” Kyuhyun said. “I’ll just call umma to accompany you here”
Sungmin lets go of his hand. “No, it’s okay. I can stay here alone. You can go” she said.
Kyuhyun stares at her for a while before he left.
“I’ve told you that I need you. Why can’t you stay for me?” Sungmin asks sadly.
And he actually heard it. But just like before, he pretended that he didn’t and just left.

~~~***~~~

Jongin was about to open the door of their house when the doorbell rings continuously when suddenly Ryeowook stopped him.
“Don’t open it”
Jongin stares at her confusedly. “Why?”
“It’s Yesung” Ryeowook said.
“I thought you love him? I thought he changed for you?”
“I do, and he did”
“So why don’t you open the door? You know, I actually saw him from my room window, and he seemed pretty pathetic, ringing the doorbell continuously as he keeps on calling your name”
“We, sort of, break up. I dumped him”
Jongin’s eyes widened in shock. “Why? I mean, if you love him, why?” He asks. “Is it about his past?”
Ryeowook looked down at the floor as if there’s something interesting with those tiles. “It’s not something that I can explain” she said. “The pain he left, it’s something that never seems to heal. It just becomes worse as I see him. But it’s not like I don’t love him. I love him to the step it hurts to see him like this, but it hurts even more if I just stayed with him”
Jongin sighs. He sat beside her. “You know what, noona? I warned you, but you stayed with him. I even tried to hate him when you told me what he did, but you stopped me—“
“You can’t hate him” Ryeowook said, cutting off her brother’s explanation. “I don’t hate him. I’m just hurt. But I never hate him. So you can’t hate him too”
“Doesn’t it hurt for you to break up with him too?”
“It does” Ryeowook said. “But I must do this, and it’s for him too. He can’t keep on chasing me while I keep on rejecting him”
“Give him a chance then”
“It’s hard, Jongin”
“You said break up was hard, but you had to do it, then why don’t you do the same with giving him a chance? Prove that I’m wrong. Prove that he’s a good guy who loves you” Jongin said. “Well, you need to stop him from ringing the doorbell because I’m finding a hard time concentrating to my task because of him” he adds right before he went upstairs.
The doorbell stopped ringing, but Ryeowook’s phone starts to ring instead.
And she knows who is it even before looking at it.
She takes a deep breath. “Hello?”
Someone on the other line fell silent. She can only hear his breath. “I’m here” Yesung finally said after a while.
“I know” Ryeowook said. “Why are you here?”
She can hear Yesung laughs bitterly. “I don’t know” he said. “I drank a bit. Really really tiny bit. But maybe I was drunk. I just walked and walked and walked and by the time I realized it, I’m already here”
“You can just go back. Why are you calling my name?”
“Another ‘I don’t know’” Yesung said. “I just keep on calling your name. As if my voice could reach you, as if my heart could reach you”
Ryeowook didn’t say anything.
“Ryeowook, please, come back to me. I’m nothing without you. I’m confused. Everything is still on its place, but why are you not here beside me?”
“Because my place is not by your side”
“No, that’s your place and will always be your place” Yesung said. “Please, give me a second chance. Open this door, let me see you”
Ryeowook tries her best not to cry. “I… Don’t know….”
She can hear him smile. “Ryeowook, I love you” he said. “And I will always love you” he adds right before a huge thump sound and he stopped talking.
“Yesung? Are you still there?”
No answer. She looks at her cellphone, but it’s still connected. “Yesung? Don’t play around. Are you still there?”
Still no answer. Ryeowook’s eyes widened. “Oh my god, what if he…” She’s unable to finish her sentence as she remember what Yesung said this noon.
“You’re the only reason I live now”
She quickly opened the door only to see Yesung lying on the floor, unconscious. “Oh, no…” She mumbled as she sat beside him. “Yesung-ssi? Yesung-ssi, are you okay?”
Yesung didn’t react. “Yesung, wake up. Don’t play around” she said as she pats his cheek.
“Umma, stop it. I’m still sleepy” Yesung mumbled as he moved a bit, still with his eyes closed.
Ryeowook sighs in relief. “Thanks god, he just fell asleep” she said.
“See? You cared about him” Jongin said as he leaned against the door.
“Jongin, you shocked me” Ryeowook said. “I didn’t”
Jongin rolled his eyes at her. “If you didn’t care about him, then why would you quickly rush towards the door? I saw him fell unconscious from my room window, so I went down here to inform you, but turns out you cared even more than me” he said.
Ryeowook stares at Yesung’s sleeping face. “He told me I was the only reason he live” she said. “I was afraid. What if he commit suicide?”
“I bet he’s not stupid enough to do it in front of your house” Jongin said. “Besides, if you really don’t care, you wouldn’t care even if he dies or what... Admit it, you cared about him. If I were you, I’ll give him a chance before you regret it”
Ryeowook didn’t say anything. She just stares at Yesung’s face. She sighs. “Jongin, help me carry him inside”


~~~***~~~

Yesung opened his eyes slowly as he felt some lights rushing in through the slightly opened curtains.
He looked around only to realize that he’s not in his room. He slowly sat on the bed as he holds his aching head. “Where am I?” He said, but his voice won’t come out.
“Are you awake now?” Ryeowook asks as she holds a tray.
“What happened? Where am I?” Yesung asks, his voice still won’t come out.
Ryeowook handed him a glass of water. “Maybe you’re drunk last night. You told me you just walked and walked and walked and the moment you realize it, you’re already here” she said. “You keeps on ringing the doorbell and calling my name. You fell asleep right in front of my house. And I’m not mean enough to let you stay outside, so I asked Jongin to help me carry you inside”
Yesung smiles sheepishly as he gave Ryeowook the empty glass of water. “I did that?” He asks. His voice was hoarse. Maybe because he keeps on calling Ryeowook’s name yesterday.
Ryeowook nods. “You told me you just drank a really tiny bit” she said. “But I’m not sure”
Yesung laughs awkwardly. “Well… Not really tiny bit… But not that much, I think?” He asks awkwardly. “What time is it?”
“1 P.M. You slept through the day. Literally”
“So you didn’t go to work?”
Ryeowook nods. “I told them I need to take care of my sick fiancee”
Yesung stares at her confusedly. “Fiancee?”
Ryeowook smiles at him. “It’s you, right? You told them so”
Yesung stares at her suspiciously. “Does that mean a good thing?”
Ryeowook puts down the tray on top of the bedside table. She holds his hand. “Yesung, I’ve been thinking about this last night, and…” She takes a deep breath. “I’m sorry. Jongin’s right. I would just regret if I let you go. Yes, it hurts to love you, but it hurts even more to let you go. I’m sorry, let’s start all over again, okay?”
Yesung smiles. “But I won’t be that easy. You know, I was so desperate yesterday, when you dumped me” he said. “There’s something you need to do first”
“What is it?”
“Tell me that you love me again, with no tears, and without break up” Yesung said. “I like to hear that from you. At least I can forget all my problems for a while and look at the brighter side—at least you still love me”
Ryeowook blushes.
“So? I’m waiting” Yesung said.
Ryeowook takes a deep breath. “Yesung, I love you. I never want to let you go, I never want to be away from you. I love you” she said. She kissed his lips.
Yesung’s eyes widened. “What’s that for?”
Ryeowook smiles. “A bonus. And an apology, for making you desperate” she said. “Now, eat. You still need to get some medicine to cure your hangover” she add as she gave him the tray.
Yesung smiles. “Are we official now?”
“Maybe” Ryeowook said.
Yesung pouts. “That’s not even an answer”
Ryeowook laughs. “You need to do a proper confession first for us to be official” she said. “And not right now. I don’t accept a confession of a man who just woke up, and hangover”
Yesung smiles. “Okay, Kim Ryeowook, you just wait” he said. “I’ll give you the best confession you’ll ever get in your whole life”
Ryeowook just smiles at him. “I’ll wait”
Seems like this is a beginning of a new love story.

~~~***~~~

“Okay, so, finally, everything’s finished!” Sungmin said excitedly as she stares at the dining table filled with her cookings.
“Ma’am, I’m not really sure if sir Kyuhyun will be very happy seeing this” the head maid said. “Especially seeing those band-aids in your hand”
Sungmin smiles as she stares at her hands. “This? This is nothing” she said. She stares at the head maid. “You know, Ajumma, he’s the only one I have now. The one who always stayed with me no matter what happened. So I think, doing something different for a big day such as his birthday won’t hurt”
The head maid smiles back at her. “That was sweet” she said. “But Ma’am, you need to learn not to depend on him all the time. I know you need his time and attention, but he needs to work too, and he can’t skip it all the time. He did that for your own happiness too”
“I know” Sungmin said. “But I need him too”
“Ma’am, actually, you’re so lucky to have him. At least he’s not some sort of a workaholic. He always went home before dinner just for you”
“Ajumma, am I childish? Am I a burden to him?”
The head maid shook her head. “No, it’s not like that. But you just need to let him be free sometimes. He still needs to go to work and have some social life” she said. “If letting him have a social life is too hard for you, then maybe you should join his social life. I just don’t want you to regret everything later. You know, men tend to seek for freedom outside once they can’t get it from their wife. I’m not being rude, I’m just saying. Stop being so obsessed towards him. It’s not like he’ll never come back once he left for work”
“I can’t help it, he’s the only one I have now” Sungmin said. “and he doesn’t mind even if I’m obsessed with him”
The head maid sighs. “If that’s what you think, I don’t have the right to meddle on your business” she said. “Good luck on your plan. If you’re finished, then I’m leaving now”
Sungmin smiles at her. “Thanks ajumma, for agreeing to my plan”
The head maid smiles at her. “Not a big deal. And thank you, at least I have a day off because of you” she said before she bows at her and left.
Sungmin stares at the clock. “7.30… A bit too early, but I’ll just wake him up now” she said as she excitedly walks towards their room. “Kyu, wake up, today is your—“ she stops talking when she realized that Kyuhyun is already awake, and in his corporate attire. “Birthday” she adds, more like a mumbling.
“Oh, good morning” Kyuhyun said towards her. “So today’s my birthday? I forgot it” he said as he smiles sheepishly.
“Where are you going?”
Kyuhyun coughs. “Uhm, Minnie, look, I’m really sorry. I know this is Sunday, and I know, since today is my birthday, I need to celebrate with you, but…” He stops talking as he takes a deep breath. He hated this. To say this again, to have this big fight with her again, and to become awkward with her again, he hated this. He tried not to leave, he tried to tell that to his secretary, but he can’t. He needs to go or else he’s going to lose the deal, and if he lose the deal, he’ll end up messing up with his father’s company only in one go. “I need to go to Jeju island for 3 days. Mr. Kim doesn’t want someone else to get the deal, he wants me and appa. I really need to go”
“But you said you’re free today”
“I know… I forgot it yesterday. So… I’m really sorry… Should I call Umma to accompany you while I’m gone?” Kyuhyun asks. “You see, appa is leaving too, so she’s also alone—“
He stops talking when Sungmin threw a vase on the floor. “Fine, just leave. I’m tired of not being your priority. You’re always like this. You never cared about me, you just left everytime I need you!” She said. “I know you’re always the insensitive one, but can’t you understand? I want you! I don’t want Umma, I want you”
“Minnie, please understand, I’m doing this for you”
“But this is not I wanted!” Sungmin shouted as he threw everything on the table.
“Then what do you want?!” Kyuhyun raised his voice as he started to lose his patience. Having to deal with this kind of Sungmin is tiring. Especially for the second time.
There’s a moment of silent. “You… Just scolded me?” Sungmin asks.
And he just realized that he just raised his voice at her. “No, Minnie, I’m sorry”
“If you’re sorry then don’t leave”
Kyuhyun sighs. “Minnie, you know how much I hate fighting with you like this”
“I also hated it” Sungmin said. “But I need you”
There’s a moment of silent. Kyuhyun sighs—again. “I’ll see you in three days” he said before he left.
Sungmin just sat on the sofa as tears start running down her cheeks. “I just needed his time and attention, why can’t he understand?” She asks, without even realizing that she’s the one who needs to understand.

~~~***~~~

“Yesung? Where are you going? I thought you don’t have any plans for today?” Heechul asks.
Yesung smiles as he ran towards her. He hugs her. “Good morning, my beautiful mother” he said.
Heechul laughs. “Okay, tell me what do you want”
“Nothing. I’m just in a good mood today”
“What is it?”
“Well, I’m planning to ask Ryeowook to be my girlfriend today” Yesung said as he smiles.
“Oh my god, really? Good luck! And don’t forget to introduce her to me too” 
Yesung laughs. “You already know her”
“But I didn’t know her as your girlfriend”
“Umma, you’re so weird”
“And you’re taking those weird genes from me”
There’s a moment of silent as Yesung doesn’t know how to react. He coughs. “Anyway, I still need to go to that lovebird’s house to say happy birthday to someone” he said. “I better go now”
“Wait a minute” Heechul said. “Oh my god, I forgot that today is Kyu’s birthday!”
Yesung laughs. “Umma, you’re the worst mom ever”
“Excuse me, he’s already married and having his own family now” Heechul said. “Not a big deal if I forgot his birthday”
“Excuses, excuses”
Heechul rolls her eyes. “Anyway, I’m not sure if he’s here” she said. “Hankyung said he has a meeting at Jeju island, and maybe Kyu is going there too, since he’s his so called heir”
“Really?” Yesung asks.
“But I’m not really sure”
“Then I’ll just go there first just in case he didn’t go”

~~~***~~~

Yesung was shocked when he arrived at Kyuhyun’s house. Shattered piece of glass shattering everyone. “Kyu? Minnie? Anybody home?” He asks. But no one’s answering.
He stepped carefully on those shattered pieces of glass. He was shocked when he see Sungmin crying while seating on the sofa. “Minnie? What happened?”
Sungmin looked up as she wipes her tears. “Yesung oppa? Why are you here?”
Yesung coughs awkwardly. “Well… To celebrate my brother’s birthday?” He asks.
“He left”
“Who?”
“Kyuhyun”
“Oh…” Yesung said awkwardly. “Should I call Umma to accompany you here? She’s also alone”
Sungmin shook her head.
“Okay…” Yesung said, still sounded awkward. “Well… Then, I’ll go now… Anyway, Minnie, you need to understand that he can’t be there for you all the time, he needs—“
“Why are you keep on saying the exact same thing as him?!”
“Well… Because that’s the right thing?” Yesung said. “I’ll just call Umma to accompany you here, ‘kay? I still have a date with Wookie—“ he stops talking when Sungmin holds his arm to prevent him from leaving.
“Don’t go” she said. “Stay with me”
“But… I still have a date with—“
“Don’t go. You still love me, right?”
Yesung’s eyes widened. “Actually… No”
“Don’t lie” Sungmin said. “Even I still wonder why we break up”
“You dumped me”
“Will you go back to me?”
“What? No!” Yesung said. “Minnie, you’re just saying this because you’re upset. You’re just going to make me Kyuhyun’s replacement while he’s gone. You’ll definitely regret it once he’s back”
Sungmin flashes a smirk. “Oh, my, aren’t you so considerate of him?” She asks sarcastically.
“Of course, because he’s my brother”
“Oh, really? But now does he thinks the same?”
Yesung didn’t say anything as he doesn’t know what to say. Heechul always made it sounded like that, but does Kyuhyun thinks the same? He never said anything in his mind, he doesn’t know. “… Of course he does” he said, but unable to remove the uncertainty in his voice.
“If I were you, I’ll just do this with me” Sungmin said. “No matter even if you’re just his replacement” he adds before she kissed his lips.
Yesung didn’t say anything as he just let her do everything that she wanted because he’s too confused. Is it true? What she just told him?.
While Kangin just stares at them, disappointed. He sighs. “Why did you do this?” He asks sadly. “Why did you let the history repeats itself?”

To be continued…

OMG I’M SO GLAD I MANAGED TO FINISH THIS CHAPTER BEFORE JULY END ><