Summer in the Blue House

Not Everything is About Summer

Tonight is the night that Chanyeol will finally have a dinner with his parents. Wearing a crispy black tuxedo and white undershirt, Chanyeol looks formal for a normal family feast. The three ladies that are with him since yesterday are awing behind him. They join the boy in the mirror giving a final touch, fixing his pushed back hair and tapping the invisible dust in his clothes away.

"You look marvelous, young master." The one in the middle said.

"Aren't you exaggerated?" The trio shakes their heads in sync and Chanyeol surrenders with a sigh. "Oh well..."

The knock on the door straightens the posture of each and every one inside the huge dressing room. As the door opens, Secretary Won appears in front of them.

"Young master must be done after an hour that I leave you guys here." The girls nod. "Good. Young master."

"A moment here." The secretary gestures his head in agreement. When Chanyeol turns to the attendants with him, all of them are crying, making the boy taken aback.

"I'm sorry if we're acting like this, young master." The shortest says, wiping her eyes. "We don't have anything to do if you're not here. We feel so useless that's why we're so happy when you always visit the palace."

"I'm sorry but it's my parents' decision to keep me away from here. You don't want disobey them, do you?" The girls shake their heads and Chanyeol can't help snorting with their uniform reaction. "They say it's way safer for me not to be known as the president's son. Don't worry, I know you'll be fully functional to me in the future."

They all seem to feel rejuvenated, forming a ring around Chanyeol and they happily turn around. They may be merry but the boy in the center is already getting dizzy.

 

Secretary Won personally escorts Chanyeol to the dining area where the teen's parents are waiting. In a long rectangular table, the couple is sitting at the ends opposite to each other and an empty seat in the middle is prepared for Chanyeol. The secretary pulls the chair for him then leaves the three of them since this is a personal time for the family.

A line of food is laid on the table, so mouthwatering as usual but Chanyeol cannot jump getting what he wants as his father, the head of the family, needs to give verbal permission first in initiating the dinner.

"Somehow, seeing Park Chanyeol in front of us, my love and joining us in this feast is endearing. What do you think, Mr. President?"

His smirking mother, who's wearing a conservative long red dress and black hair ties in a bun, talks formally as if her son and husband are not related to her. Chanyeol feels a sudden awkwardness.

"Welcome home, my handsome son." His father greets him in a formal manner too. "We have a lot of things to talk about but that will be later. Let's start this wonderful dinner, shall we?"

The gratified mother and uncomfortable son both nod but with a contrasting mood from one another.

Either a person is a part of the royal bloods or head of the state, the servants' mores in sufficing the needs of their current is the same. Chanyeol shall not directly get his desired dish but the attendant should do it for him once he faintly gestures or whisper to them. He almost forgets the etiquette if his parents don't do it first. The boy composes himself, even though the whole process of being in this stature is tiring.

 

When the dessert is served, the conversation may now take in action. The sweet course for today is a patbingsu deluxe made especially for the first family. It shines like colorful jewels sitting inside a petite crystal bowl. Chanyeol swallows staring the delectable food in front of him. Tempting to start feeding himself, the teen sneakily and cautiously reaches the small spoon beside the bowl.

"How's your study, son?" Chanyeol slaps his own hand in startle. He later feels embarrassed, blood rushing to his cheeks.

"I'm..." He looks at his father, who's giving him calm but warm face, and shifts his eyes to his mother, whose hawk eyes meet with his. He tries to hush his fidgeting self, locking his sight to the dessert instead. "I'm doing pretty well, Daddy."

"Park Chanyeol." Hearing that strict tone from his mother, he knows that he does something wrong. "You're not a commoner's child to call your father such a slang term. Do it properly."

"I'm sorry, momm—I mean—Mama. I'm sorry, Father." Chanyeol politely says as his mother's request.

“That’s alright, my son.” His father says. “You may go ahead and dig in.”

Chanyeol nods, gripping the spoon as soon as he holds it and scoop a little of the icy sweet. Chanyeol feels his eyes sparkle when he tastes it.

“Delicious, right? I guess it will be nice if you stay here longer so we’ll have more precious moment together. My time as the president is almost over.”

“We’re only halfway, my dear.” Chanyeol’s mother says before taking a spoon of patbingsu as well. Once the food dissolves inside , she speaks again. “By the way, Chanyeol, how’s your relationship with the Shens, particularly to the only daughter in the family? Are you dating her?”

The son chuckles in a demure manner while shaking his head. “I will never like her romantically, Mama. She’s manlier than me.”

“Just make sure you won’t because your father and I are planning to arrange someone for you.” The light mood in Chanyeol’s face froze hearing what his mother says. He does not want to show any more emotion because he knows that his parents are watching every movement he does there in the table.

“Like the tradition of our family, only the most refine people can be included with us.” His mother continues.

“We think this is the right time for you to meet your future spouse.” His father softly laughs like the noble he is. “In the coming days, we will meet her and her party.”

“Ain’t I too young for this?” Chanyeol suddenly feels tired, his hands leaves the bowl and rest it flat on the table. On the other hand, he looks at his parents who also pause eating their dessert.

“Are you seriously asking that although you’re aware we, your parents, married in our teens?” His mother scoffs and he does not want to look at her face since he quite knows that he will see a frightful expression from her. “I understand how you feel but eventually you and that lady will have fruitful union like us.”

The president and his wife said earlier that they’re still planning but seems like a girl is already set up for their son. After having a cold shoulder from them since Chanyeol’s childhood, now they want him to control over his love life. On the second thought, it must be fate for him and Min to separate — maybe he will really end up with a girl and not a boy. Anyhow…

“Please give me time to think about it, Father, Mama.” The pair shows a hint of stun. For the first time, he makes a request to them so he hopes they realize and grant it.

“Absolutely.” Thankfully, the president of the country agrees.

They have a few more talk about Chanyeol’s school life. He does not tell them that he quit taekwondo but it blends perfectly when his mother recommends him to resign there and run for student president in the next school year. The conversation transitions to politics again about the president’s upcoming projects and other topic relating to that. Chanyeol lets his parents talk by themselves as he silently finishes his patbingsu. He can hardly comprehend to them anyway, as their term is getting more jargon and jargon and as if he tastes something toxic.

 

The next thing he knows — he is there lying on his bed. His mind possibly became foggy last night because of his parents that he did not remember how he changed to pajamas and took his slumber.

Looking the white ceiling above him, he rises into a sit up when he hears a knock on his door. He delicately cleans his eyes with his finger and asks the person to come in.

“Young master, the President wants you to join him in a game of Gyuk Pa.” The servant politely says as soon as he enters Chanyeol’s room.

“What? He still plays that?” Chanyeol firmly closes one of his eyes while stretching his arms upward like he is reaching something in the air.

“Yes, he wants you to change into a proper sportswear for the game.” The servant replies.

“Get me a sweat pants and shirt if that’s the case.” Chanyeol blindly points his finger without knowing what he is really pointing to.

“No, young master.” One of the usual female attendants named Juhyun joins them in the room, holding blue and red traditional clothing.  “This is what you are going to wear.”

 

✿✿✿

 

It is seldom for a boy in Chanyeol’s age to wear a hanbok and specifically a type that only wears for an ancient game called Gyuk Pa. It is similar to golf that plays only by noble men in the palace. Chanyeol wears the mostly dark blue clothes with a red sleeves and linings. The teen sighs as he ties the dark blue ribbon around covering his forehead.

Leaving Cheong Wa Dae temporarily, Chanyeol is sent to Gyeongbok Palace. Once he arrives there, a servant gives him a wooden stick with a round pad at the end. It is smoothly and neatly made, varnished that’s why it shines with the bright sun.

“Son,” Chanyeol turns back hearing someone calls him. His father wears an identical clothes like his, coming forward to his way. “Are you ready?”

The teen bows before nodding. “Yes, father.”

“Do you know how this is played?” The boy nods again. “Good, let’s begin.”

Chanyeol had read the rules of this game when he is younger and finds it dull as he plays it in the present. Like golf, the ball needs to fall on a certain target. Dazed, Chanyeol watches how his father excitedly plays it like a little kid. No one is with them that must have triggered the President to act differently. It is very unusual not only for him but for someone that will see this behavior after recognizing his father as a well-respected individual. His father wins symbolizing their break for that long afternoon.

Sitting side by side at the stone stair, the father and son drink a glass of orange juice and view the vast area of the palace. All of a sudden, Chanyeol hears a loud laugh from his companion that he cannot help but to wonder.

“Loosen up, son, you’ve been so stiff since last night.” The president pushes him gently. He looks the servants who are standing around them before he moves his face closer to Chanyeol’s ear. “Don’t worry, your mom is not here.”

As a sign of being relief, Chanyeol relaxes his shoulder and exhales. Even his father allows him to let loose, he still cannot look directly at him.

“I never had a chance to play Gyuk Pa since I belong to the branch family,” The president explains, “and here we are, playing because your father is curious of the game.”

Chanyeol is too shy to response to the elder even this must be Park Yongjun’s real self he is talking to. The pat on his shoulder buzzes and makes him gaze to his smiling father.

“Are you still thinking about the arrangement?” He asks. “It must be absurd for you. Take your time; we’ll wait till you’re ready.”

“Thanks, Daddy—I mean—Father.”

“Aish…” The president playfully ruffles his hair. “Mama is so strict, don't you think?"

Chanyeol chuckles. This man, who acts fatherly at this moment, is too surreal to be true. This is the only time he receives such affection from his so called father as far as Chanyeol can remember. He hopes his mother can sometimes be like this as well. When will that happen?

 

✿✿✿

 

Presented with folk music, the first family sits at the center of the pavilion while watching the performers. Chanyeol stares at his parents, who are enjoying the show and he only gives a small amount of attention to the musicians. Chanyeol has been thinking a lot before he gets there and after he learns about his future ties with a lady, he guess this is the right moment to tell them this important decision he wants for his life.

“Mama, Father,” the couple acknowledges his calling, his father gestures to briefly stop the music and the performers leave the room for their family alone. "My apology for interrupting such wonderful night of music but I have something important to tell you."

He wants to compliment himself in saying those words without stuttering but the look from his mother's eyes shuts his mood off.

“What is it?” The raise of his mother’s eyebrow does not remove the butterflies on his stomach. He lifts himself from their seat and goes in front of them to kneel down the floor.

He takes a small amount of time of breathing in and out, staring at the steady faces of his parents in the short silence. Without further ado and not waste any more moment, he speaks up.

"To be honest with you, I'm in love with someone else." Chanyeol expects a dramatic reaction from his parents but they remain unmoved so he resumes. "I broke up with... umm... that person but I want to win h— umm... that person's heart back. Due to that, I need more time and space to think about it — to think about the arrangement you're setting up for me as well. Will you let me?"

"Of course, no." His mother scoffs without appearing rude. What shall he anticipate from her? Goodness.

 

"You have the responsibility to perdure our heritage as the heir of Yi. I mentioned that solely the qualified people can be an addition to our family before, didn't I?" His mother's rebuttal and Chanyeol, whose head bends down, does not return a reply. "By the way, I heard Shen Yeorum seize her service as your personal chaperone. Shall we look forward to your blooming rebellion?"

"I'm not rebelling, Mama." Fists shaking on top of his lap, Chanyeol tries to be polite even in this situation. "I just want a little freedom."

"Freedom you say?" Chanyeol is melting from the judging eyes his mother is giving him. With folded arms to her chest, she stand and walks behind the boy. "If you don't want the security we are providing you, fine, I'll give the independence you're searching for in a quick span of time. I'll let you taste the feeling of a helpless living and let's see if you can endure it."

"Yi Hong, he's our son." Chanyeol hears his father's reminder but he does not get a feedback from his mother. His eyes are glued on his hand on his lap that are still trembling all this time.

Seconds later, the audible sound from his mother's stiletto is getting farther and farther. His father sighs, standing from the seat and pats his back before leaving.

Chanyeol cannot control the tears on his eyes from falling — left in the wide area of that pavilion alone.

 

✿✿✿

 

As soon as the sun rises, Chanyeol is sent back to the Shens. He does not know the consequence of his action yesterday but with his mother's personality, he assumes that it will be nothing but pain.

 

✿✿✿

 

On the last day of school before summer break, Chanyeol is asked by his advisor to bring some papers to the Student Council Office. He has not seen Kris since the last night of school festival and won't still have the chance because...

"The President has been sick for the past four days." The female vice president says and Chanyeol cannot be more surprised.

 

To be continued…