Lonely Prince in Summer Night

Not Everything is About Summer

Chanyeol tightly grips the straps of his backpack, shifting stares at each boy who surrounded him.

He is vigilant because he's been in this same situation before — with also the same faces of people who bullied him from grade school. It's just they are all grown up and looking nastier at this point.

"Well, well, well, the ugly duckling, in which becomes a pretty swan, is walking alone without his mighty knights." The antagonistic-looking-guy who seems to be the leader folds his arms to his chest as he walks closer to their prey. Chanyeol seriously eyes at him.

"I can't remember that I became ugly from my entire life." Cupping his chin with his fingers, Chanyeol sarcastically says. "I know that I used to have an excess baggage but ugly? ....uh... no."

"Heh." The leader scoffs. "Where did you get such confidence?"

"Time will teach you how to obtain it and will help you mature too. I don't know but you guys seem left in the time space."

"You cocky F*** Chanyeol." The leader hisses and the other boys start walking forward to him.

Chanyeol pisses the gang off and they start attacking him with punches which he is able to evade all. He answers their assault with kicks here and there. Seriously, he is better than Choi Min and in fact, with all their duels together, he always defeats him. Thanks to Shen's teachings.

Some members of those delinquents have a knife in hand and aim it to Chanyeol but none can stab or slash a single inch of him. He kicks each weapon away, twisting the bullies' arms to their backs after.

The fearless goons earlier are now all pathetically lying on the floor and Chanyeol simply chuckles at them with a dark tone. Walking near the almost unconscious leader, he steps his foot onto his chest.

 

✿✿✿

 

"I have a favor to ask you." Chanyeol says, "Don't you dare show your despicable faces here ever again if you don't want me track you down even your family. Yes, you don't really know who I am yet. So, if you discover the truth about my identity, you will wish that you're never been born, boys."

The leader makes a hysterical shout, getting away with everybody. The smirking Chanyeol is left alone.

Watching the whole chaos at the post where he is hiding, Kris is astounded at the performance Chanyeol has shown. He walks after him when the other boy decides to leave as well.

This is considered stalking but Kris will be saying that he's just making sure the boy can really go home safely. Chanyeol's hands are covered with bruises, other than using his legs, he pounded those boys with his fist and not all the knives failed to hurt him.

Today is weekend and a time for rest for those who worked hard in the festival yesterday. And instead of Kris to reflect what he did to Chanyeol when they’re both unconscious, there are some tasks which he left hanging since he hastily went home with his friend last night. If he does not see this commotion and Chanyeol this morning, he will not leave those items pending again. And initially, he wanted to help Chanyeol back on the fight but it was unbelievable that the other teen could handle it all.  He's invincible.

He sees the former Taekwondo member going inside the convenient store and comes out minutes later, hands already covered with bandages while he leisurely drinks a box of milk. Kris continues tailing Chanyeol, who’s manlier right now and who goes to the arcade this time.

Since the place is a few walk to Chanyeol's home, Kris thinks the other boy is safe now so he turns away and leaves. But, this is not the first time that he follows the other as he consecutively walks after him as days go by till it becomes the fifth one.

On the fifth day, Kris ends up drenched due to the pouring rain from the sky and yet, it does not suspend his stalking.

“I’m not stalking.” He says then coughs (Oh sorry). When Chanyeol, who's protected by a yellow umbrella in the rain, turns back, the soaked president quickly hides to the nearest wall. The other boy merely shrugs and resumes walking home.

Kris sighs in relief, doesn’t mean to look down and sees his pale face in the puddle of water on the ground. His condition does not bother him at all and still moves along trailing his friend.

Chanyeol does the same routine for the past days: going to school and going to the arcade after. Good thing they have some light lessons since summer break is coming in a few days.

 

✿✿✿

 

Chanyeol climbs upstairs to his room, finding Mrs. Shen packing some of his clothes in a small black luggage. The black expensive cars in front of their house really mean something making his eyes widen.

“Auntie,” Chanyeol knocks getting the attention of the woman who gives him a warm smile.

“Young Master,” the motherly woman folds the one last shirt before she zips up the luggage and gives her full attention to the boy. She stands before him like Chanyeol is a high-class person no because of his height but with his standing on the society. “Your parents want to summon you.”

Without protesting to the words he hears, Chanyeol calmly nods. With the political blood running through his veins, the boy is used to this meeting that happens every once in a while.

“I’ll just change clothes.” The woman gestures in understanding, leaving Chanyeol alone in his room.

Chanyeol deeply exhales looking at his place, particularly at the picture frame which is displayed at the center of his dresser. His real family is in it. A woman sitting in the center while two guys standing behind her. The man and the woman who seems to be Chanyeol’s parents are straight with pride while the son, who’s at the right of the picture, stands humbly.

He knows the meeting will be short as always but he senses something different will be going on.

He changes to a white-long-polo-shirt that is crisply ironed, a black slim slacks and he ties a silky-red-shiny-ribbon to his collar. He looks at himself at the mirror and views a doll to his reflection. After getting done, he gets inside one of the cars that are parked in front of Shen’s residence.

Mrs. Shen stays inside and only gazing in the window. Chanyeol waves her goodbye.

 

As the car starts moving, the pressure inside Chanyeol starts crawling.

“It’s good to see you again, Young Master.” The sole person sitting along with him in the backseat politely says.

Chanyeol remembers this man introduces himself as Won Bin, his father’s secretary. He looks young for the position bestowed to him but Chanyeol does not care about his age if he is trustful enough to be his father’s right-hand man.

“Are you reading or watching the news?” The man asks that Chanyeol simply responses with a shaking head.

“A regular high school boy like me does not have any interest to dirty politics.” And, Secretary Won chuckles with a smirk to what he says.

“Indeed, Young Master.”

The travel continues without a word coming from them after then and even when they reach Cheong Wa Dae. Chanyeol’s eyes are fixated to the phoenix sculpture over the fountain in front of their house.

The Blue House, as it is called in English, is primarily the place where the head of state and his family live. The roofs are covered with blue tiles making the place unique and elegant. The blue tiles and the smooth roof blend beautifully with Mt. Bugaksan in the backdrop. The whole place along the palaces around is built a long time ago and even his direct ancestors live there.

As they get off the car, Chanyeol walks as fast as he can because he does not want to deal with the guy who’s along him. He paces farther and farther till he reaches a door and opens it. The replica of his room with the Shens welcomes him and it’s his mother’s decision to make them look alike. With the furniture, decorations, walls and picture frames, everything is identical.

“Your parents have an important meeting with the cabinet today,” Chanyeol rolls his eyes as soon as he hears the Secretary’s voice behind him, slumping to the giant blue bed and lies there. “So what they want you do right now is to get ready for tomorrow. I’ve asked the servants to prepare the bath and spa for you.”

Before the man leaves him from his room, he stops him with his gasping voice. “Wait. How many days am I going to spend here this time?”

“Starting from today, since your parents are busy, you only have to be here in three days.”

“What about school?” Chanyeol lifts his head from the bed. “It’s almost over that’s why I cannot be absent.”

“You’re the son of the president and Jongno’s representative. Are you really asking that question?” With the secretary’s smirk, Chanyeol sighs and does not speak anymore. And, the man uses the silence as a signal for his leave.

 

✿✿✿

 

Walking down the stretch of their traditional-style-corridor, Chanyeol heads to the premises’ spa. Strolling on the place brings nostalgic pictures of his childhood to his mind. Chanyeol chuckles because none of those memories are good and all of them show the bitter of his past. He visualizes a chubby younger version of him running on the corridors, not smiling but crying. The boy is stopped by a pair of guards in the palace and behind him as he turns around, a tall sophisticated woman wearing a traditional-royal-hanbok leisurely comes near him. He shows fear to that woman.

“What do you think you’re doing Park Chanyeol?” With widen frightened eyes, the little boy gulps and steps backward. Before he can further escape, the woman grips his wrist tightly. She may be beautiful but the expression she is giving to the younger boy is somewhat strict and scary. “Didn’t I tell you not to play with those mixed-bloods? You’re skipping your classes for what? For them? Are you out of your mind?”

“I’m sorry, mommy.” The boy sniffs.

Instead of the woman to feel pity for her fearful son, she hisses. “Mama, Chanyeol, Ma—ma.” She firmly said.

Chanyeol’s mom does not mean to refer herself as a mother like it is internationally used; she purposely raises it as the royal highness.

Chanyeol nervously nods and says, “Ma…ma.”

Satisfied, the woman straightens her posture, patting Chanyeol’s blazer which as if it has an invinsible dirt. “I heard Kim Summer and her family is moving to Germany. It’s a good news, son. Now, I want you to stay away from the boy named Kris Wu as well.”

“But… Mom.” Chanyeol holds the skirt of his mother but his hands are removed harshly by her.

Mama, Chanyeol.” She firmly says.

“Krease and Summer are my… are my best friends.” A tear drops from his left eye and his mother only cares less.

“That’s why it desires me to stop this ridiculous friendship.” She says it with a high tone but still in a classy manner. “Your bond with those mixed-bloods has NO place for you as the heir of  Yi.” Putting both of her hands to her son’s narrow shoulders, she bends forward to him, lips is closer to Chanyeol’s ear so the boy can hear what she’ll say. “If your father and I are able to get the power to rule this country back to our clan, you’ll be the crown prince. With that, my beloved son, you should only interact with the natives. Do you understand?”

Chanyeol wipes the tear on his eye and nods. “Good.” His mother acknowledges, standing straight again. “By the way, with your appearance that we intentionally provide you, I don’t think that Kris Wu boy likes it. He befriended you simply…” The woman shrugs. “…because of Summer.”

Chanyeol’s tears flood his face, viewing the back of his parting mommy. The vision distorts and fades. The younger Chanyeol is replaced by his beautiful teen version, whom standing on the same spot.

 

You may be wondering why Chanyeol and his family freely wonders in the vicinity of the palace even in his childhood years. It’s because Chanyeol is one of the remaining descendants of the royal family. The Yi Clan has the right to go anywhere they want around the palaces in Seoul although their power is taken from them. And Cheong Wa Dae is not the exception to where they can explore.

Park Chanyeol is direct from the roots of the last ruler since his mother is the daughter of the last crown prince. Yi Hong, his mother who’s now the representative for Jungno district in the National Assembly, marries her cousin Park Yongjun, a member of the Yi’s branch family that focuses on the politics.  When his father won the election three years ago, the Parks started living in the Blue House.

He does not stay there most of the time because it’s his parents’ decision. The only moment he returns is when he needs to learn the culture and etiquette of his family. To blend with the locals, that is what they always reason out. Yi Hong forced her son to be fat years ago so the boy could easily join the commoner’s crowd. She also told him not to show his natural intelligence as it will cause him danger. He purposely became lazy to study the normal education and ate every food that was presented on the table even he disliked it. He lived with an awful youth that follows Chanyeol wherever he goes.

And now that his parents are close to their dreams, with Shen’s help, Chanyeol regains his real self.

 

✿✿✿

 

“Your nails are pretty like the last time you visit, young master.” Chanyeol stares blankly at his nails getting done by one of the attendants. They have been complimenting him for half an hour now and they are still not getting tired of it.

While one is filing his nails, the other is massaging his remaining free hand. “Ooh, you have protruding veins showing you as a man but your skin is so smooth.”

“What do you expect for a boy who has the royal lineage?” The pair giggles and Chanyeol can simply sighs and rolls his eyes.

He feels a pain in his head like someone is pulling his hair, almost forgetting another servant is working on his brown locks. “Man, young master, what did you do to your hair? I cannot iron it out.” Glancing up, Chanyeol sees the woman struggles in straightening his hair.

“Leave it as it is, Juhyun.” The lady who’s handling Chanyeol’s massage says. “Young master looks like an adorable doll with that hairstyle.”

“I’m just worried about him, Miyeong.” The girl frowns. “His mother won’t like this on him.”

“No need to bother, Noonims, I’ll handle this myself if she violently reacts at me.” The girls who are wearing pink, blue and yellow hanboks respectively nod.

“Our precious young master deserves to be called prince.” The woman who is working on his nails claps her hand together. “He grows handsome, polite and awesome. Girls, let’s ready the clothes he’s going to wear tonight.”

“Okay!” The other two agrees with her. The trio cheerfully jumps, giving high five to each other and then they walk to the other room.

Chanyeol shakes his head in hopelessness as he watches the three women leave him alone.

 

✿✿✿

 

What is his purpose to be there tonight if he just going to get stuck inside his room for the whole evening?

Chanyeol is totally bored inside his room even though game consoles, computers, and books are presented to him.  He walks past the guards and discreetly goes inside the reception center where his parents possibly conduct their cabinet meeting as said by Secretary Won.

As he successfully reaches the place, the cabinet members are starting to rise from their seats and each one of them shakes hand with the couple.

“My husband and I can’t wait for our proposal to flourish.”  Chanyeol views his smiling mother talking to one member, seeing her can be compare to a scar that still sting on his skin.

“Of course we are your helping hands, Madam.” An old man with glasses says.

“How nice of you, Prime Minister.” The group laughs although the teen does not know what is funny.

He sees his parents standing with pride in them, just like what he saw in the picture earlier, both not clingy that a normal couple always does but they show professionalism with their straight postures. They look so young. Leaning back, he stares the wooden shiny floor in front of him and realizes where his family belongs to. Soon, there is a huge probability that he will be joining their political ancestry and rule over their country.

A half of him wants to pull him out of where he is right now and live as a standard growing teen instead.

 

To be continued…

 

A/N:

Sorry for late update which should happen last week. You may find this chapter boring but this tells the root cause of Chanyeol's sudden coldness to Kris. Waiting for the next one? Then, see you again ^^