Summer Shouldn't Have Gone Back

Not Everything is About Summer

"Chanyeol?" Glowing among the crowd of students who are exiting from the school gate due to the color of her hair, Shen looks the person behind them with a puzzled face then goes back to the leading person of their walk. "The president is after us again. Don't you feel creepy about it?"

Chanyeol glimpses at Kris behind and the other quickly averts his eyes to somewhere else. Shaking his head, Chanyeol beams at his friend and pets her hot pink head.

"It's pure coincident, I guess."

Since the last time they talked in the library, Kris agrees to do whatever Chanyeol instructs him and he does not even know to himself of why he needs to do so. He dislikes this; but somehow, he is getting some fun.

Why?

Kris cannot help but to smile devilishly at the couple that he is eyeing at. Min walks stiffly beside Chanyeol and his movements from behind seems wanting to pull the boy closer to him. He and Chanyeol exchange shy glances at each other, and their hands are itching to intertwine together. Kris loves seeing this torture.

Chanyeol has sensed his old playmate’s delight, giving a quick glare at him that removes the smirk on his face.

“Chanyeol, your home.” Gaining his boyfriend’s attention back, Min is about to lean to Chanyeol for a kiss, if Kris does not interrupt them with a clearing throat. The captain of the taekwondo team chooses to pat the other male instead. “See ya.”

Sadden, Chanyeol nods while Shen says, “Byebye!”

When Min goes, Kris walks to an opposite direction, passing Chanyeol.

“Same place.” He says softly without looking at the other and leaves.

He hears Shen pulling Chanyeol to their house before he completely goes away.

 

Less than half an hour later, with light blue hoodie shirt, khaki shorts and pure black shades, Chanyeol enters a nearby café from their house. He sits on the red leather seat beside the window, facing no other than Kris, who is still in uniform and busy with his iPad.

“I don’t get you.” Kris lays the tablet to the table but continues tapping its screen. “Why do we need to do this here than staying in school for a while?

“Because I don’t want to mess my daily routine up, I always walk home with my friends.” Chanyeol replies and Kris rests his jaw on his palm.

“Oh, so you think that you’re not messing up with my schedule of doing my tasks as president here than at my office?” Kris sarcastically asks. “How nice of you, Park Chanyeol.”

“But, we’re doing this for Summer.” Yeah for Summer. Kris heard it a lot of times.

“So, what are we gonna talk about today?” Leaning back on the couch and sighs, Kris raises his eyebrow to the other.

“If you do the homework I gave you yesterday, can you review it with me now?”

Kris scoffs and rolls his eyes. “Sure, sure, where should I start? Oh yeah, I’ll tell Summer that when she left, you begun to study by yourself and you made it to the top 10 in school’s ranking.” After what he says, he cannot help but to laugh, earning a judging stare from Chanyeol. He tries his best to suppress it but the fact or the info Chanyeol gave him is half true and half lie, because obviously, Chanyeol received help from his friend named Shen. Kris agrees that he is able to go on the top but not by himself. Chanyeol cannot fool him.

As Kris notices that Chanyeol is not amused of his mocking laughter, he stops. “Sorry.”

“Is that the only thing you remember?”

“There’s more.” He says, now giving his full focus to Chanyeol than his iPad. “You achieve a lot in sports too, especially in taekwondo. You even got a black belt from it and that made you popular for both boys and girls. In the present, you’re more known as Pretty Boy Park Chanyeol. How’s that? Want to add more?”

“Yes.” Chanyeol nods in satisfaction, gesturing the waitress to come over their table. “And, that will be later.”

“What about me?” Chanyeol shifts his eyes from the menu the waitress gave him to Kris, who’s sloping forward to him. “Are you not going to check how I’ve been?”

Chanyeol pays attention in ordering something from the menu first, the waitress smiles and she and Chanyeol bow to each other, before she leaves and Chanyeol answers the president.

“I… nah… it’s too easy to know what happens to you for the past five years. Kris Wu’s shine never fades from the crowd and he’s happy by himself due to that.” Wrong. Kris wants to say. There is nothing to be merry about being alone, without a companion beside you and talk to you.

Kris considers this is a lucky chance to have someone to chat with. And maybe, that’s the reason why he agrees to meet Chanyeol every day after school.

“Hm,” putting a condescending expression, Kris folds his arms to his chest, “how self-centered. So, it’s ok to shove your profile to me while you don’t care anything about me at all, isn’t it?”

“No, that’s not it.” Chanyeol shakes his head rigidly. “And, I’m not self-centered!”

“Oh, you are. Look.” He points at Chanyeol’s sunglasses. “You even wear a shade. What are you, a celebrity?”

Annoyed, Chanyeol takes what’s covering his eyes. There’s a pink blush on his cheeks and his eyes avoid looking at Kris straightly. Now, that’s what the president likes better.

“Here’s your order.” The waitress returns holding a tray with strawberry shortcake and a tea set. She presents it on their table and pours tea for both teens’ cup.

As she leaves, Kris and Chanyeol take a break from their conversation. Kris uses the silence to observe the boy across him, who’s eating the cake meticulously. Chanyeol might have been fat before but Kris notices his etiquette whenever he eats since day one.

He neatly puts a small amount of the shortcake to his mouth and chews it with his mouth close. Kris thinks it’s adorable, leisurely watching while his face resting at the back of his hand.

“Hey.” Chanyeol blocks his lips with his hand and swallows the food inside his mouth. “Stop staring at me, would you? I might think you’re into me.”

“Heh.” Kris scoffs. “You’re really self-centered, aren’t you?”

 

✿✿✿

 

It becomes a custom. Kris walks together with the trio and Shen is clearly not happy about it, giving critiquing stare at the president. Kris feels uncomfortable with her eyes aiming at him so he blocks the side of his face from her. Shen acts like an angry cat after it.

“Chanyeol! Kris!” The call of their names halts the group from moving and turns their head to where they hear it.

Golden hair sparkling from the summer heat, a grownup girl is standing behind them, whose wearing a white dress. Kris cannot deny it is no other than…

“Summer.” The girl runs to them and hooks her old friends’ neck by her arms, pulling them closer to her into a hug.

Kris and Chanyeol are stunned but it does not stop them to hug her back.

“I miss you guys so so much.” Her voice muffled as she buries her face to the crook of Chanyeol’s neck. “I’m so excit—”

Summer’s emotional monologue stops when Chanyeol’s warmth is replaced by cold summer air. She and Kris separate and look at the person who took Chanyeol away.

“Who are you?” Summer is polite but there’s a hint of confusion to her question.

“Who-are-you?” Shen asks back arrogantly, moving Chanyeol behind her.

Summer chuckles sweetly. “I’m Summer, Chanyeol’s childhood friend.”

“Oh, really? I don’t care if you’re friend with him even back when you’re both in diapers. I’m Shen Yeorum, Chanyeol’s best friend, slash, manager. And, you’re touching my precious merchandise.”

Joining Summer in bewilderment to Shen’s statement, Kris knew that this girl is crazy from the beginning.

Summer turns her head to the other person with them, who’s standing behind the two. Pointing his finger to himself, Min figures out that Summer wants to ask him too.

“I’m Choi Min, Taekwondo Club’s captain and Chanyeol’s b—”

“Friend as well.” Like possessed by an evil spirit, Shen threatens Min by a death glare.

Summer slowly nods, although she seems wondering with the situation they are in. She shakes it off by a pleasant smile and glances to her other friend.

“I’m happy Chanyeol has new buddies when I left. What about you, Kris? How are you?”

“I’m friend with them.” Kris says like he is forced to join this farce.

“I see. Well then, I need to go.”

“WHAT?” After she appears out of the blue and intrudes into their peaceful lives, all of them are shock of course.

“I’m sorry, Kris, Chanyeol. To be honest with you, since I’m passing by at this school, I test my luck in meeting you guys. And here I am, grateful that I see you both again.” She says in a carefree manner. “But, don’t worry. I’m planning to have a get together with you two,” she tilts her head looking at the other people, “and oh, bring Ms. Shen Yeorum and Mr. Choi Min too. I want to be friends with them.”

“But, I don’t want you as a friend.”

“Shen!” Chanyeol hollers in his panic.

Summer simply chuckles at her. “Sorry, I really need to go. See you next time, guys, at the usual park, Sunday, at 7 am.”

She waves goodbye and the people she leaves are stuck and dazed. Summer does not even ask if they are free for that time or not.

 

✿✿✿

 

Thankfully, none of them has something to do on Sunday that the group meets at the said park. Summer is there waiting while sitting on the swing and cheerfully waves her hand as she stands from her seat.

“I’m so happy to meet you guys!” She loudly says and it purely shows how excited she is for this meeting. 

The four exchanges look at each other and wear a fake smile as they nod.

“Come on.” Holding the hand of her two friends, she drags them along and run. “I searched at Google and found this café. I’m sure you’ll like it.”

Dashing to wherever Summer will take them, Kris scans the people he is with. Chanyeol is panting pitifully at the other side of the blonde girl and Shen and Min just chase after them. Kris will not wonder if the girl with the pink hair will turn to a Super Saiyan later on. This is out of their habitual daily lives.

 

Summer takes them to a café which specialized bubble tea. As soon as they all sit in a round table, the girl from Germany talks how fond she is of that place, of bubble tea. She says that she has not tried it before and also with a group of people. She is being emotional but the folks with her seem not enjoying this gathering.

Kris wants to listen and react properly to her like Chanyeol is doing beside her, but Shen and Min’s faces are disturbing him. Like an expression of a frightening vulture, Shen eats the fries with anger beside Kris. On the other hand, at Chanyeol’s left side Min is quietly staring at his bubble tea.

There is something fishy.

Chanyeol suddenly gasps and jumps in an unknown reason. There really must be something going on.

The spoon for Kris’ sundae falls under the table on purpose and he pretends to pick it from there. When he bends down and enters the table cloth, he sees Min’s fingers drumming on his knee while Chanyeol is covering the center of his lower part. A while later, he sees the lovers’ hands meet and interlace.

“Kris.” The abrupt call of his name causes him to hit his head to the table.

He rubs the back of his head and removes his hand from it when he is back on top.

“What’s wrong?” Summer asks and he smiles sheepishly.

“I dropped my spoon,” he shows his utensil. “I’m just going to get a new one.”

Kris and Chanyeol’s eyes meet before he stands from his seat. When he returns, Chanyeol’s lips looks so red and puffy and so does Min. Kris suspects that Chanyeol was the one he heard in the restroom’s cubicle earlier. This couple will never stop no matter what circumstance they are in.

“By the way, do you have a name for your group?” An unexpected question comes out from Summer’s curious mind. “Do you remember? We named ours as Summer’s Brigade.”

“Lame.” Shen spits in an instant before drinking her bubble tea.

“Yes, we have one.” Sitting back to his seat, Kris says in behalf of the trio. “Yeorum’s Extortionists.”

“What?” Shen quickly protests, shooting a glare at him.

“What a bold name.” Summer says blankly.

In the middle of everything, they hear a nocturnal piano tone from one of them. Summer stands from her seat and pulls her phone from the pocket of her pink skirt.

“Sorry again, guys, I gotta go.”

“Before you leave us,” Chanyeol set his off of his chair as well, “why did you come back?”

Summer chuckles while her eyebrows furrow. “Don’t you miss me?”

“We miss you but—” Chanyeol seems to bit his tongue as Summer places a quick peck on his cheek.

“There’s an errand I need to do in this country so I want to spend time with you while I’m here. Sadly, I need to go back to Germany very soon.”

“That’s a good news.” Shen blurts out once more.

“We will have a cultural festival after this month.” Kris says.

“Too bad.” Summer tiptoes to kiss Kris on the cheek too and the boy buzzes from the wonderful feeling.

 

“See ya.” Summer says then leaves.

 

After a minute, Chanyeol’s pissed off boyfriend walks out of the room.

“Min, wait!” Chanyeol calls out and runs after him.  

“What a stupid girlfriend you both have.” At this moment, Kris is left with a ranting Shen, whom he does not really like to be with. He sighs in disappointment that earns a slap from the girl to his arm. “And, who told you to name us Yeorum’s Extortionists? And yah, that’s my name! You’re not even a part of our group.”

“Sorry, but, I’m a part of it now.” Before he hears the shrieking Shen, Kris leaves her all alone in the café.

“HEY, WE HAVEN’T PAID YET!”

 

✿✿✿

 

The chasing of the couple continues to the school the next day — and Kris is here again wondering why no one notices their drama. In the midst of his occupied sight, a swaying newspaper coming from the air falls onto his face.

He takes it off and reads what the headline says.

President Kris Wu is a member of Pretty Boy Park Chanyeol’s group named Yeorum’s Extortionists

He expresses an utter complaint about what he just read.

“Who the hell wrote this?” With darken face, he asks lowly.

“Me.” Slowly turning his head around, Kris sees the freshman that he met before at the school gate. She is smiling ear to ear and her hands clasped behind her.

“Oh, Son Seungwan.” He beams but people that will see it know it is fraud. “You don’t want to wake up tomorrow, do you?”

Little by little, Kris walks forward to her while she stiffly walks backward. “I still want to see my family, Mr. President.”

“Then explain, what is this?” Kris raises the newspaper to show it to the younger.

The girl’s eyes widen in horror and she does not response back. Instead, she runs for her life and away from the murderous look that Kris provides her.

 

To be continued…