The Tree of the Past Summers

Not Everything is About Summer

After the monarchy in Korea was abolished, Gyeongbok Palace became a National Tourist Spot. There is almost no day that it is not crowded with people, but since a Crown Prince is proclaimed for this new generation, the place is now exclusively function as his residence. Royal Guards are deployed surrounding the gates and they have rounds of marches around the vicinity, securing no civilians will enter — unless they have official appointment to his highness.

 

✿✿✿

 

Due to the danger Chanyeol and his guardian have experienced in Samuuido, the officials limits the Crown Prince access outside — or rather, he is not allowed to go out at all — even for school. They are also prohibited to know the current news — even if there are positive articles, bad write-ups always come along and the officials do not want to stress these teens about those. The series of restrictions cause Chanyeol and Wendy’s day filled with education instead.

Even though he studies about his royal lineage and etiquette in the past, he receives refresher about it, which is thorough this time. If Wendy is not by his side, she is studying a lot about her new task and trained to be the next chamberlain. Their teachers from Four Seasons Academy have routinely visited them for their academics. Coping up with the lesson they left is not difficult for Chanyeol. On the other hand, his School’s junior Son Seungwan always receives a hit on her head with either a rolled book or a fist by any of her teachers. She will not get hurt if she is not caught sleeping.

 

In the Crown Prince’s free time, the servants may find him walking around the area and he seems thinking deeply.

 

Tonight, Chanyeol stands on the wide plains in the palace, holding a sky lantern with a wish written on it. He flicks a match to lighten the lantern, and lets it float in the air. He clasps his hands together, praying that his message will receive by God. There is a person who celebrates his seventeenth birthday today somewhere — a very important one for the young prince and it has more than a month since he last saw him. Although their separation has been so long, Chanyeol keeps him in his mind and heart.

The raven hair boy closes his eyes as he softly says his prayers. After done, he opens his eyes and a tear escape from it. He glances up, staring at his white lantern in the sky.

“Again, happy birthday, Kris.” Chanyeol smiles, wiping his tears, hoping he will meet him soon.

 

✿✿✿

 

“Tomorrow at 2PM, you are scheduled to meet the Prime Minister in the National Art Exhibit at Sogyok.” Lord Won Bin politely informs, walking along Chanyeol and Wendy in the Garden this morning. The teens exchange look since this is their first time to go out of the palace after getting locked up for a while. “Aside from me, Miss Seungwan will also you for the said event and…”

Lord Won Bin stops as he steadily looks at someone behind them. The kids turn their head and sees Chanyeol’s mother, who’s always in red clothing. Since there are guards accompanying their stroll, these group of men covered the Prince so there is a barricade between them.

“May I have a moment with His Highness?” Her usual firmness is there, yet gracious.

“Of course.” Lord Won Bin says, bowing at the lady. “But, let me remind you to stay distant from him and we’ll keep him company as you make your conversation.”

The woman understands, nodding, “Thank you.”

The guards then move away, leaving the mother and son alone on top of the garden’s bridge.

“How have you been?” His mother initiates asking him and he is a little bit surprise because this woman never asked him with this kind of question before.

“I’m doing well, Mama.” The woman nods once more, putting her hands together at her back. He averts his eyes to her and focus it to his company below the bridge. Talking to her is always like talking to a stranger — a stranger from the high class.

“I would suggest that you keep your feet on the ground.” His mother says. “I’m afraid your position is unstable yet, specially the elders oppose your selection as the Crown Prince.”

Chanyeol understands the reason why they are disapproving him — because they believe the main family is stained with Japanese Blood, and till now, Chanyeol has that bloodline running through his veins.

He looks at his mother, giving a small curve on his lips but not consider a smile. “Yes Mama, I will stay humble as much as I can.”

“Good to hear. You know this reform has been a dream of our family so as the bearer, you keep it safe with you and depend it with all your might.” Chanyeol nods. “I and the president will be your aid, Your Highness. If you can turn your back to your own parents, I hope you won’t do it to the country. That will be all.”

The First Lady bows at him and leaves, going down the bridge. “Mama.” The woman pauses to her son’s call, but does not look back at him. Gripping the rail of the bridge, Chanyeol makes a step forward, and hesitantly, he asks, “How’s Dad?”

His mother finally looks at him, “He is travelling to Germany as we speak for a talk with that country’s leader. He wants to tell you that he misses you by the way.”

“I miss him too and…” Chanyeol is about to say something but he shakes his head instead, “nothing.”

“We will see you in your birthday anyway.” The woman completely sets off along her bodyguards and Chanyeol is left sighing. The Lord Chamberlain and Wendy return to his side, resuming their conversation about his schedule and their stroll. The raven head gives a quick glance to where his mother departs before following the two.

 

He lost all his will to show any affectionate gesture towards his mother that is why he stops when he is about to say something loving to her.

 

✿✿✿

 

One afternoon, Chanyeol does his habitual roaming around the palace grounds. Since the day the government allowed him to make a small appearance in the public, they let him do more, but every once in a while. Due to this, he now has a lesser time to be with the nature and today — he asks if he can go to the Blue House, not see his parents, but to visit a particular spot in that place. Luckily, the Lord Chamberlain permits him.

 

Hand brushing to the leaves, Chanyeol can already feel the touch of nostalgia as he walks the path to the woods behind the main building in Cheong Wa Dae. It seems there is no one following him this time, but to make sure, he makes a few glances to each direction and confirms that there is really none. He then proceeds searching for a specific tree which is gigantic in size, although it should not be like that. He considers it as one of his best friend, after all, he pours all his tears when he was younger to that tree.

“Mr. Willow.” He hugs the tree like it is a real human friend and runs his fingers to its rough bark. “It’s been a long time, isn’t it? I’m glad you’re still standing here to welcome me back.” Humming, the smiling boy continues talking to the tree, enjoying what nature offers — calming breeze and faint singing of birds. It is like they are glad to see him again. “I am officially a prince now, Mr. Willow. Not much of work is given to me but — the sense of people watching every move I make gives a lot of pressure. Don’t worry, the number of people who is always there for me increases. Are you jealous? Haha. You have a special place in my heart, Mr. Willow.”

Chanyeol glances up, causing a piece of memory to flash in his mind.

“We’re almost there.”

“Hyung?” He unconsciously blurts out a word, making him block his lips in surprise.

He thought it is just a dream, tilting his head a little in confusion. He suddenly feels that it is real — that he once met this person in reality. He wonders if this person is the reason why he is always there at the Willow Tree. As he keeps looking up, the scene of him being carried at the back of that person, rolls. They carefully climb there until they reach the top where the Blue House and things around it can be view fully. It is beautiful, causing a tear falls from Chanyeol’s eyes.

“Your Highness!” Chanyeol snaps, realizing he really did climb the tree. He looks down and sees his distance to the ground is very far, which automatically strikes him dizziness and causes the heavy pounding of his heart. He holds the branch with his shaking hands since he temporarily depends his life to Mr. Willow.

The call is getting nearer and nearer while he is still stuck gripping the tree — nervousness dominates him which blocks any line of thought in his brain.

“Your Highness.” Wendy is already at the feet of the Willow tree and thankfully, she looks up to the rustling sounds Chanyeol is making above. She gasps, “Your Highness! What are you doing up there?”

“W-W-Wendeeeeeyyyyy~” Chanyeol cries while Wendy looks around in panic.

“I’ll-I’ll-I’ll l-l-look for help! Be right back!” Her voice cracks as she yells before leaving the boy again.  The tension makes Chanyeol’s feet weaken so he tries to sit on the branch, and to fully secure his safety, he straddles his legs to the thinner trunk. Waiting for a rescue, he wipes the sweat on his temple, and he does not mean to lose his balance in that action, his legs completely let goes of the tree as well. The momentum is too fast, worsening his sense of escape, he can simply wince at the twigs that are hitting his face and lanky limbs as he descended.

He closes his eyes in his near fall and wishes this one person can save him.

“Krease.” Chanyeol covers his face with his hands, curling his body inside a strong hold. “Huh?” He instantly takes his hands away from his sight, after realizing that he is being carried, and meets Won Bin’s stare.

“Oh thank God!” Wendy, who’s next to the adult, claps her hands. “The Lord Chamberlain is able to save his highness in time.” Chanyeol furrows his brows looking at her, before his world spins and hears them calling him but it is going faint.

 

✿✿✿

 

His consciousness returns when he feels a stinging pain to his skin. A cold soft thing touches to him and when his view gets clearer, he finds out it is a cotton ball being   damped on his wounded arms by one of his usual servants. Noticing the awake Crown Prince, she glares at him, pressing the cotton harder to his injury.

“Ouch! Noonim! Taeyeon-Noonim!” Chanyeol flinches on his bed, attempting a stop the cruel hand that is attacking him. The older whines as she finally gives up.

Chanyeol sighs in relief and he buys his time scanning the place where he is now — his old bedroom in the Blue House, and then going back looking at Taeyeon, who seems about to be done treating him as she puts plasters to all his cuts and scratches on his face and arms.

“It’s a good thing that I join you guys to this visit, Your Highness.” She covers the bigger wounds on Chanyeol’s legs with bandage while the prince quietly listens — yes, he tries to quietly listen but her treatment is not getting any milder so there are still winces escaping from his lips. “Miyeong and Juhyun who we left in Danggun want to go here too when they heard about your accident. Goodness, Your Highness, please don’t act carelessly.”

“I’m sorry.” Chanyeol bashfully gives a grin and the woman sighs before pinching both of his cheeks. “Ouch! Noonim!”

She stops but her hands remain to the boy’s cheeks to rub it warmly this time. “I remember the last time you climbed there.”

“What? I climbed Mr. Willow before?” The woman nods firmly.

“Yes, you’re still a toddler back then that’s why you can’t remember.” She says. “To be honest with you, you’re up there because of a foreign boy.”

Chanyeol is flabbergasted to the new knowledge he discovers — the boy he calls ‘Hyung’ really exists. Taeyeon moves on retelling this missing piece of his childhood.

“You went missing for a while just like what happened earlier, then we found you piggyback on him. He said you both go up there to see the scenery. With his face alone, he looked like he was not going to do anything good but you liked him.” Nostalgia is written all over her face, while she tosses the clutters from treating the boy to the trash bin and keeps the other paraphernalia inside the first-aid kit.  “Someone brought him here from America for vacation. He must be around 10 to 12 years old and you quickly had a mutual understanding. You talk too little at that time and we’re shock when you told him that you want to get married with him.”

“Ehhh???” The woman nods.

“I wonder what happened to that boy.” She says gazing somewhere above.

“W-w-what’s his name?” Taeyeon looks back at him, shaking her head.

“I’m sorry but I can’t remember his name.” Chanyeol feels a little disappointed for not getting such important information, and his servant seems to sense his feeling. She pets his head before heading to the door along the kit. “Keep yourself inside the futon, Your Highness, specially you only have the boxers to cover you. And don’t try to wear anything, we will return to the Gyeongbok Palace tomorrow morning so I would advise you take a rest.”

Chanyeol nods, lifting the layers of quilted blanket up to his neck. Wearing a satisfied smile, Taeyeon bows and closes the door.

 

✿✿✿

 

Wendy accompanies Chanyeol to his quarter the next day and finds someone waiting for them in the entrance.

“Seulgi!” Wendy hugs her excitedly while Chanyeol contemplates at their seeming closeness. They catch up like the male teen is not there. Chanyeol does not want to distract them anyway but, Seulgi, who is his die-hard admirer, cannot miss noticing him.

“Oh my, His Highness.” The visitor holds her forehead as she shyly bows to the Crown Prince. Her smiling face fades as she takes notice of Chanyeol’s injury and gasps. “Seungwan, what happened to him?”

“Umm… there is just a minor accident when we’re staying in the other palace.” The embarrassed Wendy explains and quickly receives a judging look to her friend.

“I thought you’re his bodyguard!” She exclaims. “If you’re going to be this laidback, I better replace you.” She shifts back looking at Chanyeol and plastered a wide creepy smile — or, it just appeared like that because she used to be a creep. “Excuse my attitude, Sunbae—“ A hit on her own head and an instant push forward of her glasses to her eyes. “I mean Your Highness. I’m a little down because I can’t post a picture to your forum. You see this?” She shows a pink pin with a chibi version — that Chanyeol assumes it was him — on it, wearing a crown and their school uniform. ‘Our Godly Prince: FOUNDER’ written around it. Chanyeol’s upper lip and eye twitch staring at it. “I founded a fansite and we currently have 800k registered users. Most of the members see you as the prince coming out of a comic book. I relay posts about your life in the school and they say you’re a living saint.”

“Uh… Seulgi,” Wendy who is behind her pats her shoulder to catch her attention, “did you pay a visit for a picture of His Highness?” Chanyeol fists one hand in triumph and mouthing ‘thank you’ to Wendy, and the girl gestures a ‘no problem’ with her eyes.

“Umm… about that.” Seulgi rubs her hands together, turning her focus to Chanyeol again. “Someone wants to see you, Your Highness.”

 

To be continued…