The Black Summer

Not Everything is About Summer

The transferee blinks in confusion after writing her name — and after hearing her name from Shen Yeorum.

“Yes,” she says, “I’m Summer Kim.”

The girl flips her hair and with fine posture, she walks forwand in front of the class and bows.

“Hi all, I’m Summer Kim.” She repeats her name again, flashing her beautiful white teeth with her smile. “Please take care of me and let’s all be good friends.”

The simple movement awes her new classmates, who are all clapping their hands (except for Kris, Chanyeol and Shen).

“Everyone seems to like you, Ms. Kim,” compliments by their poker face teacher. “Please sit on that vacant chair beside Mr. Park Chanyeol.”

The gleeful girl proceeds sitting next to Chanyeol. The said boy must be unaware his lips is stretch into a wide smile while Kris is merely observing them. The transferee notices him and he receives a calm beam from her. She is pretty as always.

Kris never imagines seeing Summer in their blue and gray summer uniform which perfectly hugs her petite physique. It’s like the clothing is designed for her sake. His focus is on Summer but he is aware someone on his right is gritting her teeth at this moment and he only cares less.

Their teacher begins their daily session and as the model class, everyone pays their attention to him.

After Homeroom, the 2-1 students surround the new girl and excitedly interrogate her. Some of their classmates have been with Kris and Chanyeol in the same class since grade school so it’s normal that they welcome Summer warmly. There are students from other class too who enter their room to check on her. It is puzzling that Summer’s fame does not decrease even from the past years without her on the scene. And — it is more bewildering when the freshman Son Seungwan jumps on the bandwagon.

“Hi, I’m Son Seungwan a correspondent from FSA’s Daily. That’s our school newspaper.” This is the same introduction she uses when Kris met her for the first time. “From the response I’m seeing right now, you’re obviously popular. Does it have to do with your history in this place or with your internationally renowned profile as a pianist?”

Chanyeol is sitting on his former seat, on top of his desk is his indignant friend Shen, and next to him is Kris. Although Sumer is Kris and Chanyeol’s childhood friend, they chose not to involve themselves with her at this point since they don’t want to draw attention from their class. The blond busies himself reading the King Lear book while his wife talks to Shen. If somebody will be near them, they will know Chanyeol and his pal randomly talks about everything and every once in a while, the pink haired girl will throw shades at their half-German playmate.

“Of all the Korean children who know how to play the piano, why would they pick her?” She antagonistically says folding her arms on her chest. “Can she play Liszt’s Feux Follets like me?”

“Shen.” Chanyeol warningly whispers to his friend and the girl responses with a roll of her eyes and shrug.

 

But shamefully as a friend, Kris does not know the fact the freshman mentioned and looking at Chanyeol, he seems unaware of it as well. He sighs, closing the book and stands from his seat.

“Yeol, it’s time to go to the office.” He announces. The brunet looks up on him with wonder.

“What about the second period?”

“I’ll notify our teachers that we can’t attend the class today. There are pending works yesterday and if we finish it immediately, we can go home early.”

“Wait? You can’t take Chanyeol with you.” Hopping from her seat, Shen disputes his sudden action that Kris has been expecting.

“Why can’t I? You should understand that Chanyeol is a member of my staff now.”  He says, pulling Chanyeol from his seat. “Since you’re from another organization, you can’t come with us. You can leave the class too if you have a club activity right at this moment. But if there’s none, you better stay.”

The girl is taken aback and Kris uses that as a chance to get out of their classroom with Chanyeol.

 

The school day is quite normal for Kris, apart from a Summer is in it. At the Student Council office, the members seem not to be bothered by her existence as well — excluding the new fellow.

Every now and then, Chanyeol looks out the window like he is waiting for someone to appear there. His eyes shine once from gazing there that makes Kris curious, finding out Summer is on the ground floor and followed by club leaders. They are inviting her to join their clubs but Summer refuses each one of them nicely with a shake of head while giving her angelic smile.

Her return and the slight change of her appearance is a mystery, but for sure she will tell her childhood friends the reason, as soon as they have a private time together. And, Kris hopes it’s not a silly purpose like she left her umbrella or something.

 

 

 

“So far she seems to be the old Summer we know.” Kris says, pulling his wife closer to his torso. They are at the living room watching the news.

Chanyeol hums in response while sitting comfortably on the space between the blond’s legs. His eyes are fixated on the TV. The only time he breaks from watching is when the country’s president shows on the screen. He turns off the TV and looks at his husband.

“What do you want for dinner?” He asks. Kris kisses him on the cheek that makes him fully awake.

“Don’t cook, let’s order something instead.”

Chanyeol nods. “Okay.”

 

The blond orders a family size jajangmyeon and with the same position on the couch, they share the big plate of food while attached to each other. Since Kris notices Chanyeol is spacing out even with a comedy show in front of them, he feeds the boy which he consumes slowly. If he is naughty enough, he could eat the other end of the black noodle Chanyeol is chewing until their lips meet and progress to a heated kiss. But, he cannot take advantage of this situation after learning his wife’s anxiety disorder.

“Chanyeol,” the brunet hums in response, “are you okay?”

He chuckles and shifts his eyes to him. “Yes, I am.”

“Good.” While holding the plate, Kris presses his wife to him with his arm around his waist. “Just making sure I’m not with my wife’s soulless body.”

“Hahaha, you’re funny.” Chanyeol laughs tiredly. “I’m not hungry, that’s all.”

“If that’s the case, I’ll finish this myself and tidy up for you. Have a bath first then get some rest.”

“Alright.” From a month of having Chanyeol with him, he already knows when this teen is not in his self. To confirm the brunet’s condition, Kris needs to say something his departing wife will violently react to.

“Honey, do you want me to rub your back?” Chanyeol is like a frightened cat zooming to bathroom as Kris offers that.

“No thanks.” He replies after he gets safely inside the shower.

 

“Ngh… Krease. Nnngggghhhh… stop it!”

As much as Kris wants to grant Chanyeol’s begging — his smooth, subtle and flawless pale-white-back seduces him.  He kisses and touches every inch of it and finally has the conclusion — that it’s dangerous for the brown-haired-teen to wear something thin like the black wife-beater he currently has. The poor shirt is raised above Chanyeol’s armpit and he hinders his chest to be exposed with the help of Kris’ alpaca and the blanket he’s embracing. Chanyeol shies away but he cannot do more flee from the bed since the blond bear hugs him. He can only whine but those whines become moans.

“I’m doing an inspection here, Chanyeol.” He breathily says making the other boy shudder.

“Ngh… inspecting?  You’re violating me!”

“Sshhh… I’m just making sure you really clean yourself well.”

“I did!” He squeaks.

“Then, this shouldn’t bother you. Now, sleep.” His big hand sensually moves up and down on Chanyeol’s side and the boy’s breathe hitches. Smirking, Kris likes the responses he is getting from him.

“I can’t sleep, it’s… so~ cold!”

“That’s why I’m warming you up, right?”

“How could you be like this even if Summer is back?” Kris stops from his flirting at last.

 

✿✿✿

 

Chanyeol is about to face him but he cannot do so because his husband locks himself to him — by snuggling his own face to his side and locking the arms around his waist. The brunet calms down as well, his breathing is becoming normal.

When the silence devours the room, Chanyeol closes his eyes little by little.

But, “at least bring my shirt down.” This is his final protest for tonight.

 

 

 

Chanyeol thought this will be a typical day in the Student Council office. He will photocopy some documents, make Kris coffee and do some other errands for the president. However, their peaceful surrounding seems not going to be as it is when Summer Kim enters the room.

“She is the famous pianist.” One student council member whispers to her colleague and with Kris sharp stare at them, they move apart and do their respective tasks.

“Hello, I’m looking for Kris Wu and Park Chanyeol.” Summer’s delightful voice gets everyone’s attention but no one has pointed to their president.

Summer is able to locate them at the center of the room near the window and hops cheerfully to them. She puts her hands on the desk and bends her head down with a grinning face. Kris and Chanyeol exchange look at each other.

“It’s good to see you here guys.” She pouts her small lips and stands straight, crossing her arms to her chest. “It’s like you’re avoiding me. You didn’t even attend the Homeroom earlier.”

“It’s not like that, Summer.” Kris brightly smiles at him but fades away when he scans his stern eyes to his subordinates. Everyone suddenly becomes busy. “As you can see, we have a lot of work to do so we can’t have a time to talk to you.”

“That’s sad.” She frowns but shrugs it off and returns to her glee. “If you want some help, I’m here to give you a hand. I heard Chanyeol joins here recently. So, is it okay with you if I join too, President Wu?”

Kris chuckles in surprise. “Sure, you can.” Chanyeol, who’s arranging the papers in his hands, listens to the conversation secretly. He tries to hide the shock in his husband’s abrupt decision.

“Great! Where should I start?” After restraining himself from looking the people in front of him, Chanyeol glances up to Summer and sees her motivated face.

“Ask my treasurer if she needs help with the itinerary.”

“Alright, what about I help Chanyeol with the papers he’s working on first?”

Kris looks the boy with his usual smug face. “Chanyeol can manage.”

Summer nods. “Where’s your treasurer?” Kris points at his left side and the girl heads there greeting the four-eyed-boy politely.

And when Summer is away, Kris clears his throat and sneakily holds Chanyeol’s hand under the desk.

The brunet looks at him with confusion and while looking at the back of their childhood friend, Kris whispers.  “My hands are tired typing here. Mind massaging it for me?”

“Is this one of my Student Council tasks too?” Chanyeol replies with the same volume voice and Kris shakes his head.

his upper lip, he snorts. “No, it’s your duty as my wife.”

“Seriously?” Chanyeol wonders how Kris can flirt at the time like this.

 

Around five in the afternoon, Kris, Chanyeol and Summer are the only ones left in the office. The rest of the Student Council members have gone home or continued their class session when the president dismissed them. With the last paper placed neatly on the desk, the trios’ job are all cleared.

“Good thing I joined you guys here.” Stretching her arms up, Summer sighs in relief. “I never thought you’ll be this busy. There are a lot of things to do but with our teamwork — we overcome it.”

“Yes, I’ll announce that tomorrow will be our rest day. And on Friday, we have a meeting with all the clubs’ leaders and captains.” Kris says, putting his laptop into his bag. Chanyeol rises from his seat and prepares for his leave as well.

“Since we still have time, why don’t we hang out a little?” The couple pauses and looks at the girl across them. She giggles. “You two are more like twins now.”

“Uh… Chanyeol and I need to go home early so we can study and catch up with the lessons that we’re unable to attend to.” Kris reasons out.

“So, does that mean you have private lessons together? Aw, I’m so envious!”

“It’s not that. We study on our own separately.” Sumer nods in understanding and Chanyeol is thankful she accepts Kris’ lie.

“But, we can walk home together, can’t we?”

“Of course we can.”

 

Like in their grade school days, the three kids who are now teens walk the stretch of their path home. They pass the streets, the park where they played before and the local market.

In the middle of the journey, the black haired Summer tells how she gained her fame. Back in Germany, she spent most of her time playing the piano so when there’s a competition occurring there, she entered each one of it and won. She had interviews from famous magazine — not just in Germany — not just in Europe either — but in globally known publications. Some TV news and shows featured her too. The reason why she returned before was because she’s invited to play in a concert by a famous orchestra in Seoul.

She deserves the attention she is getting because Chanyeol knows how amazing she’s since they were young. He is proud to be her friend and somewhat feeling lucky that she can still remember him and Kris.

“Somehow, I regret leaving you guys behind.” She says with sadden eyes while the three of them crosses the vast road. “I didn’t see how Chanyeol transform from a fragile boy to a confident-pretty-looking-one. My parents said it’s best for us to leave but they didn’t consider how I would miss you both. And because of that, I decided to come back so we could be together in our adolescences. Aren’t you guys happy that I’m here with you again?”

“Honestly, we’re happy to have you back, Summer.” The only girl smiles sweetly to Kris’s word, both of them walking ahead of Chanyeol.

The past flashes back to the brunet, he sees this picture before. Kris and Summer happily talks to each other like they are in their own world and forget that Chanyeol is existing behind them. This moment always happens when they were younger, as if Chanyeol is a mere bystander or a third wheel. He is not a fan of this role at all.

He admits he turns to a self-centered person when Shen and Min gave him so much attention like they are so obsessed with him.

Stopping from the movement, Chanyeol lets the two go farther and farther away from him and he then walks the opposite direction.

He passes the tall buildings and the walks become running. He does not know where to go. He is hearing laughter which isn’t from Kris and Summer’s, but from Min, Shen and his. The punky girl always goofs off while Min’s arm is around his shoulder and gives peck on his cheek every once in a while.

Shen cannot be his loyal companion anymore, or she and her family will be doomed. On the other hand, Min has been away for a couple of months. Chanyeol personally sent him the romantic images Kris took — but more than a month passed — he does not get a single response from him.

The rain suddenly pours above him, in timing to the tears dropping from his eyes. He cannot believe the fear of being alone again is happening right at this moment. That’s what troubles him since yesterday.

Setting it aside, Chanyeol seeks a place where he can shelter from the rain. Gratefully, there is an old looking store with a canopy. He exhales and stands under it, chilling from the cold water that soaked him.

“Aish, at the time like this, really?” Chanyeol almost jumps as he hears a person speak beside him.

 

✿✿✿

 

“Oh my, it’s raining.” Summer uses her hand to block the raindrops hitting her face.

Kris opens his bag, gets his folding umbrella and covers it to him and his friend. The girl holds it herself while wiping of the liquid from her.

“Chanyeol, did you bring your umbrella… too?” As the blond looks behind, Chanyeol is no longer there. “Huh? Where did he go?”

Summer shrugs, also unaware of Chanyeol’s disappearance. Not to make the girl question his anxiousness, Kris attempts to be more concern about her.

“Are you still living in the same place?”

Summer shakes his head. “I’m staying at the hotel temporarily.”

“I see. I’ll wait for a bus here so you may go now.”

“Okay, bye.” Summer walks away, taking the Kris’ umbrella with her at a drop of a hat.

As soon as Summer is not in the scene, Kris walks to the direction they went earlier to find his wife.

“Where did he exactly go to?” He mutters with a growl. He checks every corner he sees even the rain is a ball and chain to his search. He hears a couple laughing and that halts him from walking.

“Hahaha, the horse really hates you.”

“I know that’s why I would never ride Siwon again. He only likes my mom.”

Kris doesn’t waste time and approaches the pair under the canopy. And as he predicted, he finds Chanyeol there — side by side with a boy with weird clothing. He is like from an epic drama or film or something. The brunet has a long dirty white robe covering him as well.

“Chanyeol, are you cheating on me?” The blond asks his wife judgingly.

“What?” Chanyeol snorts but Kris cannot bear him seeing with another man so he pulls him by the wrist and brings him beside him. “You’ve got it all wrong. Shixun is a traveller and he’s lost here.”

From head to toe, Kris scans the boy and notices his long hair has same color with his.

“He’s saying the truth. In fact, I’m from another world, that’s why you may find me strange.” The tallest boy looks at his wife and the teen nods at him eagerly. “And you know what, seeing you two together remind me of my parents. You look so identical to them.”

Kris feels awkward out of the blue, letting of Chanyeol from his grasp. The other boy looks the same with his cheeks flushed in red.

“I sincerely hope you have a good ending unlike them and may you stay forever with one another.”

“Forever, huh?” Kris lips slant and faces straight in front of him but the boy with weird looking outfit is gone. “I knew it! He is saying those flowery words so he could escape!”

“Let him go, will you?” Chanyeol snaps him and he notices how the boy hugs the dirty robe as if it’s the sole item that will warm him up. Kris is confident that he is more reliable than that filthy cloth.

“Do you feel cold?” Kris instantly takes the robe off Chanyeol and the boy can only gasps at his action. He throws it away to the pool of rain on the ground, then holds both of his wife’s arms and twists him with him going under the canopy again.

“Kreas — mmph!”

Invading Chanyeol’s mouth, Kris wraps his strong arm to his waist and the other hand at the back of his head. The other teen tries to push him away but Kris will not let him. He shoves his tongue deeper Chanyeol’s cavern that earns him a lewd yelp from him. It fuels his naughtiness more so he continues until both of them are at the peak of losing the air from their lungs.

“How could you?” Chanyeol slaps him on his arm but he doesn’t free him from his hold. He kisses him once more. “Mmmpphhhh! Kreasmmmmm! Mmmwhere in public!”

 

Forever is a promising word but he does not see himself getting sick of this adorable boy. Although Summer has retuned… their separation seems too far from coming.

 

Under that canopy, their fiery make out will go on and on… and on… and on… even the rain stops… it will be on and on… and on… and on…

 

To be continued…

 

A/N:

I think that will do today.  I hope you enjoy this chapter and comment down below. I picture Summer like this girl. I know she has a ten-year-age-gap with the **r* Kris but that's how I picture her. And, the Shixun's (who do you think is Shixun?) cameo here is a character from one of my unfinished fics. See ya next time!