Seoul Lantern Festival

Ji Hyo and Jong Kook

They met in university when they wanted to help up with the lantern for the Seoul lantern festival. They are just helpers and been assigned to the same group. Jong Kook can draw well, and she help up with the coloring. They had made an excellent team and congratulations themselves for a job well done. They had became great friends from the event and even make a date to view the lantern on the first day of the festival.

 

"Let's meet at the subway station exit 3 and we will walk there." Suggested Jong Kook.

 

"Ok, see you there." Agreed Ji Hyo.

 

They met after dinner that day, walking towards the Cheonggyecheon. They are both excited to see their lantern, ok it the university lantern but still they had done hard work making it. They strolled down the stream searching for the lantern and when they finally found it, Ji Hyo excited wanted to take picture with it. Jong Kook took up his camera and captured multiple pictures of her with the lantern, they also took selfie of themselves. Their lantern sparked their interest to take pictures with every one of the lanterns.

 

They finally ended up back in Cheonggyecheon plaza, there was other activities around the plaza. They sent of their wishing lantern into the stream, wishing for good health and results. They each made a candle, Ji Hyo liked Jong Kook design and forced him to change with hers. They ended their date in a small eatery, sharing a Kimbap.

 

That was the start of their friendship, they found that could talk almost anything with each other and they enjoyed their relationship. They would make effort to meet at least once per month, while exchanging messages when they don't meet.

 

A year later, they made a date to visit the lantern festival again. This was Jong Kook last year in university and he will get enlisted next year. They spend their evening taking pictures of their funny pose with the lanterns. This year they did their wishes too. "I wish Jong Kook oppa will have a safe enlistment" "I wish Ji Hyo will have good health". Both of them dedicating their wishes for each other, they set off their wishing lantern. Jong Kook was enlisted after his graduation, Ji Hyo went to send him off, she knew she will miss their meeting but glad that he could at least return her messages sometimes.

 

For the next two years, she went to the lantern festival alone. She didn’t feel like asking someone for company, it will be different, they are not him. She took pictures on her handphone, most of them selfies and messaged him. Although his reply is not instantaneous, she loved the comments he had given her. He was liked her dairy in that two years, she will tell him her happiness, sadness, jealousy, accomplishment … things she sometimes wouldn’t tell to her best friend, she will confide with him. He was liked her dairy, he never judged her, he accepted her as she was, she was grateful. He gave her encouragement at the right time, he told her jokes when she was sad, he cheered for her accomplishment. She missed looking into his eyes and his company but yet she never felt far from him. She even went to his open house at the army camp, she just needed to hear his voice and see him.

 

That two years in army camp, he missed her. He couldn’t always get hold of his handphone, but when he did, he would read her messages in great interest. He also would share his life in army. He confided in her the hardship he faced, the scolding he got from the sergeants, his wishes to excel.  She would give him her encouragement, her consolation, her cheerfulness. Although they couldn’t meet, they are getting closer and closer to each other. His friends about his beautiful girlfriend visiting him during the open house. He had insisted that she was a friend but refused to give her contact to any of them.

 

The day he was discharged, she was waiting for him at the gate. She jumped into his embraced, he congratulated her graduation. The meeting was short, his parents were there to pick him up. But they knew they needed to see each other, to satisfy their yearning for each other. When he had settled down, he immediately called her and they ended up talking nearly three hours non stop, until they are summoned for their dinner. They had arranged for a get together the very next day, they met in the morning and they ended up spending the entire day and nearly half the night together.

 

Even when they were busy looking for jobs, their meetings and calls didn’t stop. They managed to find jobs in companies that are near to each other, at least they could meet up easier. She told him someone in the company was interested in her, he could felt a strange feeling coming over him, one of alarm, anxiety, sadness, anger, loneliness, scare, all the negative feelings. He was silent as she described the incident. She saw his silent and she wondered why, she was just describing an event. He didn’t trust himself with the negative feelings, he told her he needed to go earlier as there was an important meeting he needed to attend the following day.

 

He left their gathering but he couldn’t let go of her happiness when she describe someone was interested in her. Is she interested in the someone too? He wondered, he felt his heart hurt as the invisible dagger stabbed into him. This was the first time he hesitated to ask her about her feeling. He walked aimlessly for an hour and figured he would need to ask to decide the future of their friendship. He took another hour to type his message before deciding it could be sent. He waited anxiously for her replied.

 

When she got his message, she broke into a smile, she had been perturbed that he ended the evening early and without a smile on his face. There was something that had been bothering him and yet he didn’t share. That bothers her, they had been the closest of friends and never hided something from each other. The message had taken him at least 2 hours, it had shown her the weight of the matter on his mind. She knew she was in love with him, his message confirmed at least she held an important place in his heart, and he was jealous of someone he didn’t know, but she couldn’t know whether he love her too.

 

She answered her true feelings, she was honoured that someone is interested in her, but she was not interested. He sighed a relief when he got that message. He picked up the phone and called her, he needed to know more about her feelings. They ended up talking on the phone for one hour or so.

 

He didn’t know why but he asked her how she will reject that someone. She said the truth, she already had someone in her heart. He actually heard his heart break and he had troubled breathing. This was too sudden. He couldn’t even make a sound and he dropped the phone on the floor. His phone had been a great help, it stopped working the minute it hit the floor. He stood stunned.

 

Ji Hyo couldn’t call him and she could see that he was not reading her messages. She wondered what was wrong. After two days, she finally saw a message from him. It had been the longest two days of her life. It had asked her to meet him on the first day of the lantern festival.

She went, heart in . She met him at the subway and they walked to Cheonggyecheon in silent. Both of them didn’t know how to start the conversation. He took her to the wishing lanterns first. This time, he bought only one lantern, he wrote his wish on the lantern and passed it to her. She read, “Dear Ji Hyo, I wondered is it too late, but I wished I am the person that was in your heart as you had been in mine. Jong Kook.” He looked at her nervously.

 

She bought another lantern and wrote something on it, and passed him her lantern. “Dear Jong Kook, you are always the person in my heart and I am glad I am in yours too. I wished we will be in each other heart forever. Love, Ji Hyo.” He broke into a smile and hugged her. He wanted to kiss her but they are in a public place. He held her hands firmly and they set off their lanterns. They went to visit the lantern festival, hand in hand. After the last exhibit, he still led her a bit more down the stream, they are finally away from the crowd. He looked into her eyes and bent down to kiss her on her lips before whispering, “I love you” sweetly into her ears. She answered “I love you too” and they sealed their love with another kiss.