Understanding

The Love that remains

As her classmates filed out of the classroom, Lyn remained in her seat, staring at her notes on her table. The foreign language class today had left her thinking a lot, intrigued by a word that was being highlighted by her teacher - ‘Saudade

Lyn gave a deep sigh and rested her head on the table, troubled by the odd feeling that struck her when she come across the word. She was so engrossed in her thoughts that she didn't notice someone entering the classroom.

'What's our maknae still doing in class when it has already ended?' Junhyung's words broke her train of thoughts.

'Oppa...?' Lyn whispered as she lifted her head.

'Penny for thought?'

Lyn nodded her head as she managed a smile. 'Look at this oppa.'

“Saudadeis a unique Galician-Portuguese word that has no immediate translation in English. Saudade was once described as "the love that remains" or "the love that stays" after someone is gone. It describes a deep emotional state of nostalgic longing or yearning for an absent something or someone that one loves. It often carries a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might never return.”

'The love that remains ...' Junhyung mumbled. Lyn smiled; they both have the exact same reaction after knowing the meaning behind the word.

‘Oppa, have you felt this way before?’

‘What about you?’

Lyn bit her lips, unsure of what to answer.

‘It’s okay if you don’t want to answer,’ Junhyung said kindly as he patted her head, ‘I understand.’

Lyn gave Junhyung a grateful smile for not asking further, but she can’t shake off the feeling that Junhyung is not referring to her reasons of not answering; but her love that stays. He understood her longing and yearning for someone who has long gone away. 

Lyn took her notebook back from Junhyung and began packing her stuffs when she realized something.

'Oppa, what are you doing in my classroom in the first place?'

'What else? Lets go, the rest are waiting.' He said, taking Lyn’s backpack with him and begun making his way out of the classroom, while Lyn stood rooted to the spot. For the past few weeks, 4Minutes & Beast have been meeting up to have lunch together during their lunch break. She remembered during lunch break last week, Dongwoon had waited for SoHyun's class to end and walked her to the cafe. She complained about always being alone, but she meant it as a joke, causing her oppas and unnies to laugh at her silly whining. She didn't expect Junhyung to take it seriously.

She hurried forward and hooked her arm with Junhyung.

'Thank you oppa!' She exclaimed, grinning from ear to ear.

Junhyung smiled; that was all he needed to see - Lyn's smile.
 

 

 

A/N : Ta-dah! Meaning behind the story's title is revealed! :) Thank you for reading & commenting :)