Audition

The Love that remains

A tall and pretty senior walked to the center of the room and clapped her hands to get everyone’s attention.

‘Hello everybody, welcome to the audition for Cube High School’s dance crew. I’m Gina Choi, I’m in year 3 this year and I’m the student president of the dance club.’ Gina greeted everyone with a bow.

A loud round of applause and cheering could be heard from the year 2 seniors, who are doing it on purpose is to embarrass and tease Gina. Being an easy-going girl, Gina merely laughed it off at the acts of her silly friends. It helped to ease some of the tension of the freshmen to see the friendly interaction between the seniors. 

‘You are given 15 minutes to warm up. You will then be called in one by one for your audition,’ Gina announced, ‘Good luck everyone.’

_________________________________________________________________________

The audition ran smoothly for both Jess & Lyn. Thankfully for their past experience, they were easily the most outstanding ones among the freshman. Gina has approached them & asked them to join the seniors for the dance practices, which means that they wouldn't have to go through another round of audition unlike the rest of the freshmen. This definitely means a lot to Jess & Lyn.

'Thank you sunbae-nim,' both Lyn & Jess said their thanks to Gina.

Gina waved off their formalities with a smile, 'Just call me Gina or unnie. We are a big family now, right?'

Wide smiles spread across the faces of Lyn and Jess, 'Dae unnie,’

'Now hurry home and be careful on your way back. Annyeong!' Gina waved goodbyes to them as they parted their ways.

_________________________________________________________________________

With a spring in their steps, Lyn and Jess made their way home.

‘Lyn,’ Jess said as she hooked her arm through Lyn’s.

‘Hmm?’

‘Are you ready?’

Seeing that Lyn has remained silence, Jess continued,

‘I know you’ve a difficult time opening up to people in the past. I understand, and I’m not forcing you to too. Being in high school is a new chapter in our lives. It’ll be a brand new experience for us. I just want you to know that, no matter what, I’ll be there for you. Every step you take, I’ll be right beside you. You can count on me.’

‘Jess ……’ Lyn looked up with teary eyes, ‘Thank you so much,’ She said as she gave Jess a tight hug.

_________________________________________________________________________

Lyn was afraid to open up to people due to an unpleasant event a few years ago.

When she was young, her parent divorced & her mum re-married.

After 5 years of living together, her stepfather attempted to make a move on her. Nothing happened as Lyn’s mum arrived home in time. When Lyn went crying to her mum, telling her what had happened; Lyn’s mum didn’t believe her. At the age of 14, she lost faith in her mum, a person whom she loved so dearly. The only person who believed and stood by her was her dad. And Jess. After that incident, she moved in with her dad.

Lyn had a natural gift in dancing, but she stopped dancing after that incident happened because her step dad was the one who discovered her gift in dancing & signed her up for dancing lessons when she was 9. She had the passion for it, but stopped dancing because it reminds her of her stepfather, which triggers an unpleasant memory in her. Now, Lyn is willing to try, for once, to let go of her past.