Chapter 8

At Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He did what he had promised himself do. He had pursued Yoona ignoring her protests, reasons, or any  excuses she is giving him. Sending flowers every chance he gets, asking her out on lunch and dinner. There were times she declined and there were times that she would just sigh and agree. Probably because he’s becoming a pest. But he didn’t care. He is holding on to the hope that she would see that they are meant to be together. She had gone out with him before so that means she had felt something for him. Granted it’s already been a year but he hoped he could bring it back. Eveytime she tried to mention Dara, he would immediately change the subject. Dara is like an obstacle that they both need to pass on to get on with their lives. Yoona seems to be really adamant into thinking he would feel something for Dara. But it has already been close to a week and all he can see her is an annoyance.

 

Dara has been true to her word too. She had been pursuing him as much as he had been pursuing Yoona. Sometimes he wondered if Yoona found him annoying as much as he found Dara. But no, he assured himself. Dara is close to hounding him while he… well… he’s courting Yoona. So there’s really a big difference. And besides, Dara is always there at his unit every damn day. He keeps telling himself he would change his passcode but it keeps slipping from his mind and the time when he already remembered, Dara is already there sitting on his couch, in his kitchen, dining room, and worst of all, his room. She had practically wrestled him down when he refused to read the porposal she had written on a paper. Even went so far as threatening him that she would really move in with him which he threatened back that he will get a restraining order if she did.

 

Talking to her is so exhausting that in the end, he just lets her do whatever the hell she wants to save himself from further aggravation. He would just lock his bedroom door until he’s ready to go to his office and would leave without so much as a glance at her. But she’s so thick that it hasn’t even deterred her. In fact, by her actions, it seems she’s getting a lot more eager now to be in his presence. He had already told her to just get out of his life but it fell on deaf ears. He even begged his grandmoher to get Dara back to work so she can stop torturing his mind but did she listen? No. It seems like his grandmother became deaf too.

 

So it feels like christmas morning had come early after a week that Dara’s vacation leave ended. He had received a message from her stating that her boss didn’t approve to have her vacation extended, which he thanked the gods for. After showering, he found another message from her.

 

Let’s have lunch together. And you know I’ll drag you out by your hair if you refuse.

 

He deleted the message without responding and wondered how his family couldn’t see the violence this girl is emitting. Whatever happened to wanting your grandson and your son to have a gentle lady with impecabble manners as a wife? They should be the one who’s going against this relationship in the first place.

 

He received another message from her when he was already walking out of his unit.

 

Let’s have dinner too. I’ll pick you up.

 

He deleted it again and just as he was about to close the door, he smirked. Thank you, Psycho. He punched in his passcode and made the changes. Let’s see how she would grin now.

 

 

 

Dara bit her lip as she checked her phone and seeing no messages at all. She put it inside her pocket again and sighed silently as she returned her fingers in typing in her keyboard. A week. A week has already passed and it feels like Donghae is getting farther and father away from her. The only hope she had that she could make Donghae fall for her again is being squashed down by her rising panic that she is losing him. She closed her eyes and shook her head to dispel it. No. That shouldn’t be her thinking. As long as she had the will to fight, she would fight. She knows Donghae is getting annoyed with her and she might’ve been rushing it but the feeling of losing him is making her do things without her thinking it through first. He didn’t even read her proposal. She left it all crumpled and practically ripped on his bedside table when she tried to force him into reading it. She didn’t know if he read it yet. Or if he plan on reading it at all.

 

She put a hand over her chest and thumped it gently while she stared at her computer screen. Here is this feeling again. Like it is being caved in.

 

“Hey, are you okay?”

 

She looked up and saw Minzy looking over the top of her cubicle. Dara returned her hands at her keyboard and smiled brightly. “Of course. Why?”

 

“Nothing, I just thought you’re having a heartburn,” Minzy said.

 

“What?” Dara said adopting a look of incredulity. “Why would I have a heart burn? It’s not like Donghae is breaking up with me or something so I really don’t have problems with my heart. It is still perfectly safe.” She nodded at Minzy  after her earnest dialogue.

 

Minzy’s brows furrowed in confusion. “What?” Then her face smoothened as she realized Dara probably misunderstood. “Oh! I mean heartburn. Like, you know, acid reflux? From taking too much coffee?”

 

Dara blinked. “Oh.” She forgot about that medical term in lieu with her lovelife problems. But maybe, come to think of it, maybe she is having heartburn and she’s mistakenly assumed the pain in her chest is something to do with the 360 degree change in her relationship with Donghae. She smiled wryly at her thoughts. “No, I’m good. I can’t live without a dose of caffeine in my system so doctors are out of my agenda.”

 

Minzy shook her head. “Okay. Do you want to get some lunch later?”

 

Dara tapped her fingers thoughtfully. She really wanted to go to Fishy Ideas so she could have lunch with Donghae but the question is, will Donghae come with her peacefully?

 

“Dara.” One of the employees strode towards her desk. “Someone’s looking for you at the lobby.”

 

Dara’s brow creased. “Who?”

 

“It’s Im Yoona,” the employee said looking as if she was awestruck. Of course they would know Yoona. Dara’s brow creased even more wondering why Yoona is looking for her. She strode out of the lobby and found her sitting on one of the couch. She smiled a little, a small stretch of her lips, when she saw her.

 

“Hi Dara,” she greeted.

 

Dara sat across from her and tried to smile but it came out more like a grimace. “Hi.”

 

Yoona pursed her lips, folding her hands on her lap as she gazed down. Dara watched her silently. Yoona is wearing a white jumpsuit with her high heeled pupms that she look so immaculately clean and pure it made Dara look down at herself. She wasn’t really one for insecurity but everytime she looks at Yoona, she notices how drabby she is.

 

“So…,” Dara started looking at Yoona questioningly. She wasn’t really awkward with her but they weren’t really close. Last time she had seen her beside the time in the hospital was that day at the airport when she and Donghae was flying to Barcelona. “What’s up?”

 

Yoona lifted her eyes at her and she seems to be really conflicted about something.

 

“Do you want something to drink?” Dara offered, remembering her manners, as she started to get up.

 

“No, no,” Yoona said shaking her head. Dara went back to her seat and just watch her inhale before looking at her again. “I just… I just want to tell you how sorry I am that… you know what happened with Donghae and… and everything else, actually.” She let out a little chuckle. “You know that day at the airport and… I mean… I wish I could’ve noticed that… he was already inlove with you before I had gone all… clingy on him or something.”

 

Dara didn’t know what reaction she should give. She doesn’t even know why Yoona would go all the way here just to tell her something which has already been way over.

 

“I didn’t want to go to hospital when I was informed that Donghae lost his memory and… I don’t want to be a burden to everybody when he’s trying to scrape some kind of normalcy in his brain. And I really don’t want to complicate your life with him. I mean, I owed you. Both of you. But I still did because I can’t take the thought that he was confused at everything.. I thought… I thought it’ll be better if he would hear it from me that… he’s already engaged with you and… that he’s already over me ever since he met you.” Then she took a deep breath. “But all that he kept holding on is the life he had remembered and….” Her voice trailed off sounding as if she doesn’t know what to say next.

 

“The life he had before me,” Dara finished for her. “The life when you were the center of his world.” She nodded. “I know.”

 

Yoona wet her lips as she looked down again. “I’m really sorry. I… tried to tell him that… I am not anymore and….” She exhaled before meeting Dara’s eyes again. She didn’t speak for a minute. “I loved him, Dara. I loved him for so long that letting go of him is the only way for me to move on.”

 

Dara had a sudden sinking suspicion why Yoona is here. She wanted to get up from her seat and tell her to just keep it to herself and she would rather not know but she was left immobilized.

 

“I came back because I thought I was over him,” Yoona continued quietly. “But I realized that I still love him. And everytime he comes for me, it’s getting harder and harder to fight it off. I know how you feel and god knows, hurting anyone is the last thing I wanted to do. But I can’t… I can’t do this anymore. I want him to be with me. I want him to be really with me. I didn’t fight for him before because I knew he was fighting for you. I set him free because I knew he won’t be happy with me. But… but this chance… I wanted to take this chance to be with him.” Yoona swallowed hard looking so guilty and so earnest at the same time. “I know I’m probably the worst person alive for doing this to you but….”

 

“He only lost his memory,” Dara said her voice a little hoarse and shaky. She used the same reasons she gave herself. “He didn’t lose his heart. And you know his heart belongs to me.” She unconsciously touched the ring on her left hand.

 

Yoona nodded. “But he’s giving it to me now.”

 

Dara’s jaw clenched unable to say anything. She remembered the look on Donghae’s face when he saw Yoona, how he send her flowers every morning, asking her out on dinners (one that she found out through his secretary) while Donghae resents her mere presence. Does his heart still belongs to her? How can it belong to her now when the mind already forgot to let the heart beat for her?

 

“I know that you’re fighting for him,” Yoona continued resolutely. “But I will fight for him too.” She looked down at her hands again, then took her bag before meeting Dara’s eyes again. “I only came here to tell you that.” Then she added almost in a pained whisper, “I’m sorry.” Then she stood up and left leaving Dara staring on the seat that Yoona had been sitting on. With all the things that is running through her mind, it suddenly came up blank. She had nothing to rebutt. No wise- crack she can respond with. No arguments to give. There is nothing for her to say because everything Yoona had said seems to be the reality of what Donghae’s life is now. And that is his life without her.

 

She looked up at the ceiling as a tear made a trail down her cheek and she hastily wiped it away. She inhaled a lot of air trying to get her emotions to calm down.

 

I can still do this. I can still fight. Patience Dara. Just be patient. I will fight for him even if this battle turned bloody. Bring on the bloodshed!

 

Nodding, she got up from the couch and strode inside the spacious office for the writers team forcing a smile on her face as she went back to her desk and called out to Minzy, “Hey Minzy, you still up for lunch later?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sorry, it seems like I can’t join you for lunch. Maybe dinner later. See yah ♥♥

 

Donghae scowled when he read the message and deleted it. That girl is so damn delusional. She doesn’t even care that he hasn’t responded to her even once and she thinks he will agree on having dinner with her? He shook his head before returning back to his computer. When he heard another beep, he only glanced at it before seeing Dara’s name again and he deleted it without even reading the message. Maybe that’s what he’ll do from now on. Delete. Or better yet, block her. He will once he figure out how with his new phone.

 

After a series of meetings with the staff, he realized he was already hungry. He looked at his watch and saw that it was already close to 1 in the afternoon and he hasn’t even had lunch yet. He wondered if Yoona would want to have lunch with him. He went to his office to get his wallet while dialling Yoona’s number.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hi Yoona,” he said brightly. “Do you want to have lunch?”

 

Yoona didn’t speak for a second before answering without any ounce of energy. “I already had lunch.”

 

Donghae’s brow creased in concern. “Are you okay? You don’t sound too good.”

 

“I’m okay,” Yoona answered lifelessly. “Don’t worry.”

 

“Where are you?” Donghae didn’t prod but the tone of her voice is making him worried.

 

“I’m at a friend’s art exhibit.”

 

“I’ll go there,” Donghae said. “Where’s it at?”

 

Yoona didn’t answer and he heard her sigh almost inaudibly before telling him the address. Donghae hung up after saying he’ll be there in a couple of minutes since it’s just near Fishy Ideas. He is already walking out to get to the elevator when Doris, his secretary, called out to him.

 

“Mr. Donghae, Ms. Dara Park is at the lobby on the groundfloor looking for you.”

 

He gawked at his secretary.

 

“Should i… tell them to let her up?” Doris asked cautiously.

 

“No,” Donghae responded. “Tell them to tell her that… that I’m out of town in a meeting. For… for a month. Or better yet, for a year.” He strode towards the elevator as Doris went back to the phone to pass on the message. But he doubled back after a couple of minutes.

 

“Did she leave yet?” He asked Doris. He doesn’t want to take the chances of running into her in case she’s still in the vicinity even if the elevator would take him straight to the subtarrenean parking lot. She would probably hang around at the main entrance of Fishy ideas to block his car.

 

Doris picked up the phone again to call the receptionist to ask that before letting him know that Dara did left. He nodded in satisfaction before going back to the elevator again. After waiting for the elevator to get to his floor, he finally reached the parking. He took out his keys to unlock his car but faltered in his steps when he saw the familiar form of Dara leaning against his car’s bumper with her hands tucked inside the pockets of her hoodie.

 

The powers of a stalker is really astounding him. He marched to her with a frown on his face. “You are really starting to scare me.”

 

“I’m already friends with the security guards and they told me you were here. They even pointed out your car to me,” Dara said but her voice lacked the arrogance she usually sports around.

 

Donghae would have to remember to have a meeting with the Security Team too. “What do you want? I have somewhere important to go to okay? And I don’t want to waste time talking to you. So if you’re here to pester me about that stupid proposal again, then you can forget it.”

 

Dara lifted her eyes to him as she stood across from him. He didn’t know why but the look in her face made him feel like something tugged inside him. His scowl turned into a frown as he looked into her eyes and saw depths of loneliness resonating in them that it feels like he would drown. He didn’t know how long he was frozen as he meets her gaze but she took out the hands from her pockets and without a word, put them on his cheeks and pulled him over to her. He wasn’t able to move as she lifted her head up and kissed him. Her lips were soft and tender that it’s almost impossible to believe that it belongs to her and after a minute, it was over. She stepped back, letting him go, before Donghae could even blink. He stared at her with his mouth slightly open, his mind blank, uncomprehending. Dara pressed her lips as she stepped away from him, that look of sadness still etched on her face.

 

“I just want to do that,” Dara said before turning around and walking towards the exit. Her voice had been a whisper but he still heard it. And it made him feel strange. Odd. He suddenly had this feeling of wanting to run after her as he watched her disappear.

 

And then what? He shook his head to snap off whatever weirdness that is coming off him. He returned into scowling as he glanced at the door where Dara had disappeared to. Now she’s spreading her weirdness disease. And he can’t believe she even had the gall to kiss him! He wiped his lips with his hand as he went to the driver’s seat. Now he had another thing to add to the list of her growing immoralities. He started the engine and drove off to get to where Yoona is.

 

He arrived a couple of minutes later and looked like the exhibit was over. A number of people are already coming out of the door. He went inside scanning the room for Yoona. And found her standing alone looking at a huge portrait of mother feeding a child in her arms. Her back was to him so she didn’t notice him until he stood beside her, also looking at the portrait.

 

“Oh,” Yoona said. “You’re here.”

 

Donghae smiled but he didn’t turn to look at her. He made a show of studying the portrait in earnest. “I understand why this caught your eye. It’s really interesting.”

 

Yoona looked at the portrait again and Donghae continued, “You know what’s gonna be more interesting than this? It would be to see you married to me.”

 

Yoona froze and her head swung to him. He smiled before looking at her. “And to see you like that with our children.”

 

Yoona is unable to close as she stared in shock at him. She had been feeling really guilty since that morning when she talked to Dara about her feelings. She was stepping a foot forward then taking two steps back. Her conscience is not making her rest and she wanted to get away from everything for a while and try to sort out what she would really do. What is the right thing to do. She should be happy that the man she loves is with her but she is feeling miserable over the fact that she’s hurting someone. Someone whom she knows and even admired for her strength and vitality. But everytime Donghae calls on her, she forget all the guilt and wanting to just be happy with him. Even if it will make her more guilty later on.

 

She must’ve been staring at him shell-shocked for longer than she thought she did that Donghae let out a breath before looking at her. “I’m sorry.”

 

Yoona didn’t answer and Donghae hurried on. “I’m rushing you, aren’t i?” He let out a big breath. “I don’t know why I felt nervous. I didn’t even plan this and it just… came out.”

 

“Donghae—“

 

“Look, before you start to say anything, I just wanted to tell you that… I’ll wait for you. I’m sorry for rushing and… sprinting in ahead before you could even blink.” He let out a chuckle. “I just… I just don’t want to lose you. So however long it takes… I’ll wait. I’ll wait for as long as you want me to. I have already waited for 20 years, I mean, what’s another 20 right?”

 

Yoona’s mouth turned up in wry smile.

 

“So I really hope that… you would consider and… you know take time to have dinner with me or go out on weekends,.” He grin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter