Chapter 16

At Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara rotated her shoulders to relieve its stiffness from leaning over her MacBook in her bed for what seemed like hours already, trying to get all the revisions sent to the proofreader. It’s already close to midnight that she finally got it all done. Kwanghee’d better raise her salary for this. It feels like she was the one running the company while he melts in JoKwon’s arms. She stood up to take a glass of milk but peeked at Haru’s crib first to check on him. He was sound asleep. Probably tired from too much playing earlier. She strode out of the room and was surprised to find Becky in the living room turning off the TV.

 

“You’re still awake?” Dara asked.

 

Becky grinned. “I’m about to sleep, Unnie.”

 

“Good night,” Dara said smiling. Becky sleeps in Haru’s room since it already has a small bed beside the crib. She originally wanted to teach Haru that there’s nothing to be scared off without his mama but it turns out she was the one who can’t sleep without Haru in her line of vision so she decided to just teach Haru that when he’s at least 10 years old. Until then, he will always sleep beside her.

 

She was about to go to the kitchen for her milk when her doorbell chimed. Her eyes met Becky wondering who will be ringing her doorbell at this time of night. Becky started to go to the door but Dara waved her off. “No, that’s okay. I’ll get it.”

 

“But it might be someone dangerous,” Becky said, her brows furrowed.

 

Dara rolled her eyes as she tried not to laugh. “That’s why we have windows.” She peered through the curtains and was surprised to find Kwanghee standing there. “It’s Kwanghee.”

 

She immediately opened the door and stopped when she saw Kwanghee’s face. He looked like he just cried, his nose red and his eyes swollen. “What happened?”

 

Kwanghee let out a sob and he took a step to put his head at the crook of Dara’s shoulders without a word. Becky silently slipped inside Haru’s room leaving both of them alone. His silent sobs turned heart-wrenching and she put her arms around him for comfort on whatever misery he’s feeling right now.

 

After letting him cry on her shoulders, she made him sit down while she brought him water. She sat down next to him. He had a miserable expression as his lower lip trembled.

 

“Don’t tell me you and JoKwon had a fight again,” Dara said with a sigh.

 

“It happened Dara,” Kwanghee said sounding as if he wanted to cry again. “One of my father’s enemy spotted us at the resort. They’re also staying there and… JoKwon and i were messing around at the pool and… I saw them…. They saw us and then….” He sobbed again. “My father would know this tomorrow. The public would know. His career would be runied because of me. I hate myself!”

 

“Stop it,” Dara reprimanded him.

 

“They were holding a camera and I don’t know how long they were watching us!” He put his hands in his face as he sobbed. “I’m so stupid!”

 

“Stop it. It’s not your fault,” Dara said firmly.

 

“Why was I even born like this? I’m a disgrace! I’m a freak! I hurt my father and I hurt JoKwon. I blamed him and….” He sobbed even more now, his shoulders heaving.

 

“Stop blaming yourself for everything!”

 

“I’m useless! I’m stupid! It’s my fault I’m gay!”

 

Dara pulled his hands away from his face and saw it tear-streaked. She should have been comforting him or telling him everything is alright. But she was too angry for the things he’s saying. “There is nothing wrong with being gay. That’s who you are! It’s like you’re saying being born is a fault! No! If you’re useless, me and Haru would not be here. I would not be here. If you are stupid, then how come you are able to build Kmag from scratch?! I hate it when you’re being like this! You know, I owe you my whole life! Even though you’re so gay, you’re real. And if your father can’t accept you for being who you are, then he is stupid.”

 

Kwanghee sobbed again at Dara’s earnest defense of his own self degradation. When he saw the group of men at the resort while he and JoKwon is at the pool that night, his instinct kicked in. And then he saw the man in the middle and recognized him as one of his father’s greatest detractor.  Staring at them. He immediately packed his bags and left after that heated fight he had with JoKwon. Again. He went straight to Dara’s knowing she’s the only person who understands him.

 

Dara sighed heavily after watching him cry his eyes out. “This is your life Kwanghee. If you wanted to hide for the rest of your life, being scared everytime, you know I’ll back you up. But if you always end up belittling yourself, then I swear to god, I’m gonna leave you. Do not talk about yourself like that to me. Do you understand?”

 

Kwanghee just nodded while sniffling feeling like he’s going to burst into tears again. His life suddenly turned into a frickin’ mess in a couple of minutes. He had a whole schedule packed for fun today only to turn into a huge nightmare. “I wish I was strong like you,” he whispered brokenly.

 

Dara narrowed her eyes at him. “Try to find someone like you and you will be.” Kwanghee chuckled inspite of him sobbing. “I don’t want to use profanity because you might end up crying a whole lot more and it might wake Haru so just sleep it off first. Try to calm down. Your head needs to clear all that panic for you to think clearly okay?” She sighed at the dejected look on Kwanghee’s face. “C’mere.” She pulled him into a hug wishing she could give him strength. She wanted to wish to take his pain away but she’s got a load of it already.

 

Kwanghee buried his face on Dara’s shoulder as he cried silently again at his pathetic life. He’s tired of hiding but he’s scared of telling the truth. Which should be his strength?

 

“It’s gonna be okay,” Dara said patting his head comfortingly.

 

“Thank you, Dara,” Kwanghee sobbed, ultimately glad that he had decided to eat at that restaurant she had been working in at that time. He was glad she fainted. And he was glad he came back for her at the hospital. She might think he saved her. But in reality, she had saved him.

 

And still saving him.

 

 

 

 

 

Kwanghee slept next to her on the bed. She can hear him silently sniffling beside her, probably trying not to bawl too loud so as not to awaken Haru. She felt bad that she couldn’t do anything to ease his distress. She was never much one to offer in-depth words of comfort. She can’t even comfort herself for god’s sakes. So she just lay in her bed while listening to him, the silence more heartbreaking than him actually wailing loud. She never tell Kwanghee what to do as much as she wants to yell at him and tell him all will be better if he would just tell his dad. But she wanted Kwanghee to have that freedom to decide. He had always wanted to be free, but he encased himself in a cage just large enough for him to walk in circles. Not really getting out. Just stuck there. She loved Kwanghee as much as she loved her own brother and she felt useless when she can’t do anything to lessen his pain. Especially because there are a lot of moments when she feels that Kwanghee is an inevitable part of her life that she needs to be able to breathe. So she wished she could be like that to him too.

 

She her side to face him and saw him already done with his crying. She took her hand in his and squeezed it slightly just to let him know everything’s gonna be alright in the end. He squeezed back as he sniffled, “I think Donghae’s an idiot.”

 

Dara raised her brows at that in surprise. “He had always been an idiot,” she whispered back with a smile.

 

“If I was, you know, truly a guy, I would never have let you go. I would ship you off somewhere where I will be the only guy around and no one to take you away from me.”

 

Dara grinned at that. “Are you falling inlove with me now?”

 

“Sorry, I don’t have plans to be a lesbian,” he said with narrowed eyes. Dara chuckled. Kwanghee took a deep shaky breath. “I don’t know how to make this up with JoKwon. Now, my lovelife is as miserable as yours.”

 

Dara pinched his hand hard in which Kwanghee swatted it away with a pained grimace.

 

“I don’t need a lovelife. I’m happy with Haru,” Dara said with a scowl.

 

“Anyone can be happy with Haru,” Kwanghee said. “Can I have him?”

 

Dara chuckled softly. “Sure but Haru and I come in a package deal so you will have to have me too.”

 

“Ugh,” Kwanghee said. “Never mind. I’ll just kidnap him.” He exhaled again as he closed his eyes. “My eyes are so tired.”

 

“I’ll be surprised if it didn’t since you are crying non-stop for the last 3 hours already.”

 

Kwanghee smiled not opening his eyes. He took Dara’s hands. “Thank you Dara.”

 

Dara patted his hand covering her left hand with her right. “Try to rest, okay. Tomorrow’s gonna be okay.”

 

Kwanghee just nodded his head before he let sleep take him over.

 

And then woke up feeling like he just got punched in the eyes. They feel heavy and swollen. He looked around with his eyes squinted. He saw Dara already nuzzling Haru as he laughed at the edge of the bed and Becky holding his milk bottle.

 

“Who is chubby?!” Dara said. teasingly

 

“Haru!!” He squealed and then giggled loudly when Dara tickled him on the stomach with her loud smacking kisses.

 

“Who wants to play at the park?!”

 

“Haru!!”

 

“Then drink milk.”

 

It looks like Dara is trying to coax Haru into drinking his milk.

 

“Ber mama. Big hansh ru!!” Came his alien words.

 

“Yes, so drink milk,” Dara said.

 

“Mama papa.”

 

“Papa is not going to come if you don’t drink milk.”

 

“No! Papa play bloon!” Haru raised his arms high with his eyes wide as if telling a big amazing story to his mother.

 

“Wow!” She motioned for Becky to give her the bottle. “Papa drinks milk too.”

 

“Papawuvmama!!” He shrieked kicking his legs.

 

Kwanghee raised his eyebrows at that. Did Haru just tried to say Papa love Mama? Haru was babbling incoherently now while Dara is still trying to get him to drink. Maybe Haru is stringng words together that it accidentally made a sentence. Kwanghee sat up and Haru saw him. “Unca Kwee!!” He got off his mother’s lap and jumped on him making him fall back and consequently hitting the headboard. He felt the pain in his head but he laughed as he caught Haru. “How’s my little boy?!” Kwanghee said as Haru giggled hysterically when he tickled him on the stomach.

 

“Unca Kwee wepakderu papa!!”

 

“Of course!” Kwanghee said then looked at Dara. “Did he became a papa’s boy in just a matter of days? All I can hear is Papa Papa.”

 

“Papa!!!” Haru repeated gleefully as hu jumped over Kwanghee again hitting him on the stomach.

 

“Oofff,” he grunted.

 

“It’s his new word. Remember when he’s saying your name non-stop?” Dara said then reached for Haru. “C’mon Haru, just a sip.”

 

“Haru, milk is good for your skin. Don’t you want to have your mother’s luminous skin? It came from milk,” Kwanghee said making Haru face him but Haru just laughed as he tried to jump over him again.

 

Dara rolled her eyes at him and turned to Becky. “Just take him in the courtyard. Maybe he’ll drink if he’s distracted.”

 

Becky took Haru and telling him they’ll play in the courtyard which Haru delightedly agreed on and jumped in Becky’s arms without any coaxing.

 

Kwanghee leaned his head on the head board and closed his eyes. “What time is it?”

 

“Time for you to get up and face the world,” Dara said. She studied Kwanghee’s tired face before asking, “Are you feeling okay now?”

 

Kwanghee just nodded a little.

 

“It’s already 9,” Dara answered belatedly.

 

“Aww I felt like I only slept for an hour,” Kwanghee groaned. He opened his eyes and looked at Dara. “Guess I would have to review the file you sent me since my whole day has been cleared off. I bet JoKwon will not speak to me.”

 

“Since when did he ever not forgive you?” Dara said rolling her eyes. “Seriously, Kwanghee. JoKwon needs to have a trophy for loyalty.”

 

Kwanghee pouted. “That’s why it’s a lot harder for me to make up with him because I know he would forgive me that easily. Sometimes I really don’t think I deserve him.”

 

“You don’t,” Dara said jokingly. Kwanghee mad

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter