Chapter 18

At Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A treat for y'all because i missed AFF. The internet connection was bad from where i had been so i had nothing to do but write it LOL.

Enjoy! ^^

 

=============================================================================================================

 

Dinner with Kwanghee’s parents is nothing like the lunch in the Lee Residence. It was too quiet as they ate their meal, the only sound around the room is the tink of the spoon and fork on plates as they ate. Kwanghee seems to be sitting in his chair with his back ramrod straight while Dara kept throwing him glances on the adjacent chair. The ambience is too formal and serious to be honest. Kwanghee told her that his father dispenses business works and phone calls while having meals and Dara wondered why the Governor made that rule in the first place when he doesn’t seem inclined to be in a conversation. Any kind of conversation. Yep, the Lee Matriarch is right. Governor Hwang is too rigid. The only question he uttered was where Haru was and they just told him he was sleeping at Dara’s house. Kwanghee still hasn’t told them about Lee Donghae being the father since, from what Kwanghee said, the governor knew the Lee family and knowing that his son’s girlfriend having a child with a member of one of the most prominent family in Korea, will not sit well with him.

 

Mrs. Hwang smiled at her as she asked, “Do you want some peas?”

 

Dara smiled courteously. “Thank you.”

 

And then silence again. Dara just ate quietly as she munched on her food. And then Governor Hwang spoke, his voice clipped. “You guys have been together for two years now, right?”

 

“Yes,” Kwanghee answered, his shoulders tensing. Dara couldn’t help but tensed too and she suddenly wanted to yell at everybody to relax! This is not good for her nerves.

 

“Have you already thought about marrying?” Governor asked wiping his mouth with a napkin.

 

Kwanghee looked at Dara while Dara looked at him. “Uh…”Kwanghee said swallowing hard. “No dad. It’s… I mean, we talked about it yes but… we’re not ready.”

 

“Not ready?” Governor repeated. “How old did you want to be before you get on to discuss your future?”

 

“Dad, we’re still… you know… trying to get… you know…” He looked nervous.

 

“I told him I wasn’t ready for a commitment like that yet,” Dara interjected. Governor Hwang looked at her and she continued. “I’m happy with Kwanghee but marriage is a big responsibility and I don’t think it’s prudent for us to just rush on that kind of obligation out of a whim.” She met Governor’s calculating stare without even flinching and after a minute the governor let out a smile. The first one he gave since she had seen him this evening. Then he turned to Kwanghee. “You got so lucky to have found Dara. She’s got spunk! You should be like that!” He chuckled.

 

Kwanghee just grimaced as he reached out for his glass of water and took a big gulp. Dara wanted to pat him on the back comfortingly but she just smiled.

 

“I’m just so glad that you two will be staying here for good,” Governor Hwang continued looking at Kwanghee. “It’s so hard to always talk to you on the phone.”

 

“B—but dad, we can’t leave Kmag,” Kwanghee started.

 

“Let it run with your VP or COO. Your Corporate Office is here. Work here.” His tone sounds firm as if a decision has already been made. Dara wanted to interject and tell him that they need to go back to the Philippines but Kwanghee will kill her if his dad suddenly suggests for her to go back and have Kwanghee stay in the Corporate Office.

 

Kwanghee didn’t respond and just returned in eating but Dara could guess he can’t taste the food he’s chomping on.

 

She could now understand why Kwanghee refused to let his father know of his homouality. He had been imposing when she had first met him but now that she had spent time with him while he gets calls from his staff, his bodyguards hovering around the house, he is like the reincarnation of terror itself. He’s way too scary just standing there like waiting to just snap your neck off. At least, that’s how she sees it.

 

And she wanted to be just like that! Giving that scary aura with just a look in her eyes. She told Kwanghee that while he led her to the garage to lend her the car he had promised her.

 

“You’re scary enough as it is when you open your mouth,” Kwanghee said. “You want to be Hitler or something?”

 

“I just think your dad is cool.”

 

“That’s because he’s not yours.” He sighed heavily. “I don’t know why I can’t bring myself to contradict him.”

 

“Well… he’s really scary so now I totally understand why you can’t,” Dara said as Kwanghee handed her the key.

 

Kwanghee just made a face at her. “I’ll just talk to mom and maybe she can change dad’s mind about us staying here.”

 

Dara pressed the key and the gray car lighted up. “Why can’t you tell your mom about yourself?”

 

“I don’t want to disappoint her,” Kwanghee said shrugging.

 

“I don’t think she will be.”

 

“What would you do if Haru suddenly told you he’s gay?”

 

“I wouldn’t know because I can’t understand his baby talk. Honestly, am I really his mother?” She chuckled and Kwanghee just scowled at her. “I would still love him regardless,” Dara answered his question. “You know what I went through for him. And him being gay doesn’t make him less of a person or less than my son.”

 

Kwanghee sighed before asking her, “Can you just be my mother?”

 

“You don’t have the looks to be my son,” Dara retorted with a laugh.

 

“Ahhh, so I need to look like Donghae to be worthy.” He bobbed his head teasingly.

 

Dara groaned. “Ah no! Not again. I’m going home.” She opened the car and slid into the driver’s seat. Kwanghee blocked Dara from closing the window.

 

“I know I’m not supposed to ask but I’m really curious,” Kwanghee said. “Do you still love him?”

 

Dara rolled her tongue inside her cheek as she contemplated the answer on Kwanghee’s question. “I really don’t know,” she just answered. “Maybe I still do but… maybe I just didn’t want to accept it.”

 

“And the mere fact that you said that tells me that you still do,” Kwanghee said with a grin.

 

Dara grimaced at him. “He’s an and I just want to punch him most of the time.” She still haven’t told him what Donghae had said that day after he left her apartment. It’s just too painful to recall and retell.

 

“Yes, give him a black eye so he would have less perfect face,” Kwanghee said.

 

Dara chuckled as she pushed Kawnghee. “I’m going home. See you tomorrow.” She closed the door before driving out of the garage and seeing Kwanghee waving his hands in the rearview mirror.

 

She arrived in the Lee Matriarch’s house 40 minutes later and the security guard from earlier let her in again. She glanced at her watch and saw that it was already close to 9 in the evening. Damn, she wondered what time they would get home in Busan. The house is quiet now and all lights have been . She went inside the open door and found the living room empty aside from some servants cleaning. She greeted them and one of the maids pointed her at the direction of the garden. She nodded her thanks and strode over to it.

 

The garden was lit by the light posts and she can see a lone figure sitting on the stone bench and she could recognize that back anywhere. She hesitated first before deciding to just ask him where Haru is. She cleared when she was standing behind him and he turned his head over to her direction. He doesn’t look surprised to see her.

 

“Hey,” Donghae said. He scooted over and after a minute of indecision, she sat down next to him. The silence between them is like the silence of the night. Dark and cold.

 

“Where’s Haru?” Dara asked after she can’t bear the silence anymore. Why did she even sit? It’s so awkward to even be in the same place with him.

 

“Chaerin brought him to her room. He’s fast asleep.”

 

Dara started to stand up, “Okay, I’ll just get him so we could go ho—“ She stopped when Donghae grabbed her arm stopping her from standing up. Then he loosened his hold immediately.

 

“Can you stay for a minute?” He said quietly looking at her with his solemn gaze.

 

Dara sat back down without her own volition. Oh god, here it is again. Her heart hammering because he had her Donghae’s face this time! Stop it! Stop it! She yelled at her stupid heart. How ironic that they were sitting at the last place they had been before he had the accident. And he’s got that look that he always had before the accident. God, please stop torturing me!

 

Donghae removed his hand from her arm and offered her one of the beers he’s drinking. She just shook his head and Donghae placed it back beside him. Silence followed again.

 

“How long are you gonna be here for?” Donghae asked after a minute.

 

“Maybe a week or two,” she answered.

 

Donghae bobbed his head before looking up at the sky with a sigh. “Can I ask you to stay?”

 

No, you can’t ask me to stay you little… Dara pursed her lips before responding, “Why?” The question just came out of .

 

Donghae looked at her. “Because I don’t want you to leave.” His voice is so soft and yet she had heard it loud and clear in the silence of the night. She didn’t know what to make of him. He’s really so confusing now until she realized what he’s really asking. You’re an idiot! Of course he doesn’t want you to leave because of Haru. Use your brain, Dara. Sheesh!

 

“I can still bring Haru to visit,” Dara said looking away from his intense gaze. “You know I’m not that evil.”

 

Donghae let out a breath. “Yes, you are,” he said silently and Dara whipped her head at him with a glare. He had a small smile on his face as he looked at her. “You’re like this witch who keeps on weaving her spell.” His face slowly leaned closer to hers and Dara is too immobilized to move back. “How do I get away from you?” His breath fanned her face. “But then, maybe I don’t want to.” His voice is like a faint whisper, his face only a mere inch away from hers.

 

Dara narrowed her eyes at him. “Are you on drugs?”

 

Donghae’s half-closed eyes snapped open as he looked at her eyes narrowed suspiciously at him. He leaned back away from her as he tsked his tongue before getting his can and drinking a gulp, a blush creeping up on his face and he was glad it was not that bright for her to notice. After a thorough planning, Dara had to end the moment with Are you on drugs?. Hell, he’s ing high with trying to seduce her for god’s sakes! He had spent almost 2 hours running over the things he will say when she shows up. His apology for everything... asking her to stay…. But of course, he forgot about it like the idiot he is. His mind just came up blank when he looked at her and he had to say stupid things like You’re a witch who keeps on weaving her spell. What the hell!

 

“No, I’m drunk,” Donghae just said as an excuse trying not to look at her.

 

 “With a beer?” Dara rolled her eyes. “Figures. You have zero tolerance for anything alcoholic.”

 

Donghae just smiled at that still not looking at her. “You really know me that well huh?”

 

Dara pursed her lips not sure if she needs to supply a comment.

 

“Can I ask you something?” Donghae asked.

 

“As long as it doesn’t involve math equations,” Dara joked lamely. This serious Donghae is making her so uncomfortable yet she wants to stay a little bit longer with his company, if that even makes any sense.

 

“How have I been when we’re dating?” He now looked at her. Then he added after Dara’s long silence. “You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to. I was just curious.”

 

Her past with Donghae is not something she wanted to talk about but she found herself answering anyway. “You were a jerk.”

 

Donghae rolled his tongue in his cheek thoughtfully as he stared at the ground.

 

“But I always hit you for it,” Dara continued with a grin. “So, it didn’t matter to me.”

 

Donghae smiled. “And I still stayed? I must’ve really loved you.” He meant it as a joke but it made Dara’s smile fell. Silence ensued between them again and Donghae doesn’t know how to fill in the silence. There are too many words in his lips and he can’t form them into a sentence.

 

“So now you believe you had loved me?”

 

Donghae’s head turned to look at her in surprise.

 

Dara shook her head. “Geez, after two years you finally realized that I’m not delusional and crazy. Aish! Finally! I need to thank the gods!” She raised her arms up while Donghae looked at her with his brows furrowed not sure what she is saying. Dara grinned at him. “See? We can talk without trying to kill each other.”

 

Donghae just stared at her. “I’m sorry.” The words just burst out of his mouth. “For everything.”

 

Dara guffawed because this is the only reaction she could think of to avoid feeling tense about this unexpected conversation. “Wow! An admission and an apology in less than 5 minutes.” She raised her arms high again. “Miracles are real!”

 

Donghae took hold of her raised hand and pulled it down, looking at her with an earnest expression. Dara’s smile faded from her face. “I’m sorry, Dara. Everything I said… it’s… it’s uncalled for. I was petty and… childish. You’re… you’re an amazing woman.”

 

Dara could feel the warmth of his hand in her arm. Donghae swallowed looking like he’s still got a lot to say but he just said quietly, “Thank you for Haru.”

 

It took a minute before Dara realized they’re just sitting there staring at each other for a good few seconds. She cleared and eased his hand off her arm. “Okay, this is weirding me out.”

 

Donghae frowned to hear that Dara feel that this is weird. “Do you always say everything that comes to your mind?”

 

“No. Because if I did, you would be outta here in a flash.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because we will fight if I tell you what I’m really thinking. And you’ll end up stomping mad inside the house because you lost.”

 

Donghae chuckled at that. “Wanna bet?”

 

“Oh my god, that betting again!” She groaned.

 

Donghae’s brows furrowed in puzzzlement over her reaction. “What?”

 

Dara pshhed as she waved her hand dismissively not wanting to elaborate. And not wanting to remember anything about that either. “Look, let’s just… forget about what happened in the past and just focus on taking care of Haru, okay? Let’s just at least be civil if we can’t last for an hour without fighting. I admit I did you wrong too and I’m sorry for hounding you but let’s just forgive each other and move on—“

 

“You think I’m gonna forgive you for hounding me?” Donghae interrupted making Dara stopped as she gawked at him. Is he still seething about that? Then he suddenly leaned closer again moving his face right in front of hers. “No,” he breathed then he smirked. “Because that’s exactly the revenge I was thinking about. Hounding you 24/7. I think I need to move in to your house too. What do you say?” He wagged his eyebrows at her and Dara scowled pushing his face off hers agitatedly.

 

“Can you be serious?” She said frowning.

 

Donghae chuckled. “I am. How about we make a deal? We’ll stay together for 3 months. Sounds good?”

 

Dara just glared at him.

 

“Alright. Two.” Dara didn’t change her expression so Donghae tried, “One?”

 

“You are the most puerile person I have ever met,” Dara said drily thinking he was mocking her.

 

“Ya. If I was childish, you were a thousand times worse,” Donghae said. “You were the one who offered a deal to stay with me without dating anyone and spending all my free time with you. I still got that paper you wrote your conditions on.”

 

Dara looked at him in disbelief. She can’t believe he’s bringing that up after everything that had happened after. “Alright, so I was crazy then!”

 

“Then I’m asking you to be crazy now,” Donghae said without a pause.

 

“Yeah, I’m going crazy talking to you, you idiot. I’m taking Haru now.” Standing up agitatedly, she left with Donghae sitting there looking after her in disbelief with his mouth open. He really couldn’t believe this.

 

“I just asked you to be crazy because I want you to stay by my side and you took it literally. Aish!” He gulped the last contents of his beer. Who’s the real idiot between them? Still annoyed at how this conversation had turned out, he threw the can on the grass before following inside to kiss Haru goodbye and teach him to say Mama dut.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Donghae’s driving me nuts.” That’s exactly what Dara had told Suzy that one afternoon when she visited her at her house bringing Haru with her. Suzy has been really busy at CSW and today is the only free day she had as tomorrow, she would be on a European Trip with her boyfriend, Lee Min Ho, and would be back after 3 weeks.

 

Suzy was so excited to see Haru and was shocked to see him so big now since the last time she had seen him was when he was just a baby. But Haru greeted her the same way he had greeted everyone. With a big toothy smile and pretty soon, he was playing with Suzy’s Block Tower, holding the pieces and putting them awkwardly together like Legos and Suzy wiping the drool off his mouth as he sat in her lap. They were sitting on the living room rug while the TV is on as Dara chatted with her friend.

 

Suzy didn’t change. Well, except that she’s gotten prettier, maybe because she’so sickeningly inlove with her boyfriend it’s making Dara want to hit her with a pillow but hey, at least Min Ho is equally inlove with her. Maybe that’s the reason why she wanted to hit her for looking so blooming while she had to juggle motherhood, being Kwanghee’s girlfriend, and enduring Donghae’s sudden confusing personality all at the same time.

 

He’s seriously giving her a headache by acting like a total weirdo. She really doesn’t know how to react to this Donghae now. It’s like he’s developing multiple personality. One minute he’s serious, the next sweet. And other times, annoying. When she went to Chaerin’s room that night to get Haru after that weird conversation she had with Donghae, he had followed. And then he wrapped his arms around her while she held Haru, his head laying on the crook of her shoulders. She could hear hear Chaerin snorting quietly behind her as she watched her cousin giving Haru a hug and her by default. She didn’t know if Donghae did that to annoy her or he was really oblivious to her presence that hugging Haru with her didn’t really matter to him.

 

The next day, he dropped by at the corporate office of Kmag. She thought he would ask if Haru is at his grandma’s but it was an entirely different, unexpected, turn of conversaton.

 

“Yes, Haru is with your Grandma. Dropped him off there earlier,” she said when she saw Donghae entering her small office. Donghae looked around and dodging some unopened boxes blocking his way, he strode in front of her desk.

 

“Your office is so cluttered,” Donghae mused.

 

“Oh wow, really?” Dara rolled her eyes as she went back to her laptop. “Thank you for telling me that. I really didn’t notice.”

 

Donghae grinned as he looked down at her watching he work before Dara looked up at him again. “Why are you here?” she asked.

 

“I came here to get a copy of the magazine I was featured at,” Donghae said. “Kwanghee said he would give me a copy. Just thought I should know what you have printed about me.”

 

“Kwanghee told you he would give you a copy. Why are you asking it from me?”

 

“Because you were the assistant editor. You know I should follow the corporate ladder. I need to go to the assistant editor first,” Donghae explained.

 

“If you really wanted to follow that, shouldn’t you go to the receptionist first?”

 

“I did,” Donghae said with a wide grin. “But then they directed me to your office. See? Corporate ladder.”

 

Dara sighed before standing up and opening a box to give Donghae a copy of the magazine that was sent from the Philippines. She tossed it over to him before sitting down at her desk.

 

“Wow, it looks glossy,” Donghae pointed out as he flipped the pages.

 

Dara didn’t respond thinking he would go away but minutes after, he was still standing there flipping the pages. “I’m sorry, do you want me to give you some privacy so you could read the magazine in my office?”

 

Donghae closed the magazine closed before looking at her. “Do you want to grab some coffee?”

 

It surprised her a little but she flicked her finger at the cup of coffee beside her laptop while looking pointedly at him. It seems like it was the first time Donghae had noticed her coffee cup.

 

“Lunch then,” Donghae said, unabashed.

 

Dara opened but no words came out as she looked up at him with her forehead creased. “Are you asking me out?” She asked in disbelief.

 

“Yes.”

 

His straight and direct answer made Dara narrow her eyes dubiously. He doesn’t have any reason to ask her out so what’s his motive? “Why?”

 

“Uh… because I’m hungry?” Donghae answered as if that was a stupid question.

 

“I’m not,” Dara said. “So eat by yourself.”

 

“Oh c’mon,” Donghae said with a pout. “You’ve become so heartless now. You have wanted to eat with me before.”

 

Dara’s forehead creased deeper. “Before. Which means not now. Past. Which means no longer present. Go away.” She threw him a fie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter