Chapter 20

At Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara stopped typing in her keyboard as she heard the splatter of rain from the glass window of her office and she turned her head towards it to watch the rain fall. It’s already close to 7 in the evening and she doesn’t want to go home yet. She didn’t drop Haru at the Lee Matriarch’s house this morning since there has been news of heavy rain so she just left him sleeping while calling Chaerin to let her know that. She sighed as she went back to her work again.

 

She had gotten busy for the last 4 days that she hasn’t had time to wallow in her gloom except maybe at nights when she was lying in the bed and couldn’t sleep. Kwanghee seems to be the same and only faking cheeriness everytime someone’s around but once they were alone, they were both engulfed in the misery of their pathetic fail of a lovelife.

 

Kwanghee had met his father the next morning with Dara beside him after the news of him being gay broke out. He was composed and he made it seem like it was just all a big joke.

 

“Dad, it’s me. Your son. I know that Congressman is there and I thought pulling a prank on him would be fun but I didn’t realize it will turn out to be a big deal or… like this. We’re just playing around. Yes, JoKwon’s gay but he was one of my clients and a good friend. Being friends with someone who’s gay doesn’t mean you are one too. C’mon dad, ease up! We’re just having fun. Dara was shocked at the news too because she knows JoKwon. And he’s a prankster.”

 

Her father was probably appeased by his explanation but he still looked skeptical. Dara just agreed to whatever Kwanghee had spouted. When Kwanghee drove her back in silence to Busan, he told her JoKwon left. And he also spoke to his parents in private feigning excitement at his surpised proposal of marriage to Dara.

 

“I told them I was going to ask you to marry me at father’s party and that I was planning it in secret,” Kwanghee said morosely.

 

Dara scowled. “You make it sound like being married to me would be a big nightmare.”

 

Kwanghee chuckled. “It’s not that I don’t like to marry you… I just…”

 

“Don’t want to,” Dara finished for him then she patted her hand. “Don’t worry. I got your back.”

 

Kwanghee smiled thankfully. “Thank you.” Then he slipped a ring from his pinky and gave it to her. “Wear it for a while. Just so… you know… less questions.”

 

Dara slid the ring on her middle finger then smiled brightly at Kwanghee. “Looks good on me, ain’t it?”

 

Kwanghee grimaced at her. “Looks better on my pinky.”

 

Kwanghee then addressed the issue to the public the next morning saying the same thing to the media, acting like the news is so ridiculous to even pay attention to and he stated that he should never be used by anyone for political gain.

 

Dara just watched it all, immensely proud that Kwanghee can be really composed like that. He didn’t even stutter once, looking every bit like an annoyed citizen caught between a political battle. After he addressed that, he had gone to her to make plans on how the proposal should be. All the media will be there and Dara promised him to act the way any girl should act for a surprise proposal. That made her think of the way Donghae had proposed to her back then. And it inevitably made her think of everything that happened for the past two years until that night when he told her he wants her back.

She had never told Kwanghee about that. He’s got enough worries to mind on his own. And it looks like the relationship that he had with the Governor improved again.

 

Unfortunately, their stay in KMAg had extended a litte bit more because of what happened. Kwanghee told her he doesn’t know when they would be able to go back to the Philippines but probably after that proposal event. She doesn’t know how long she can stand to be here in Korea. To be near Donghae and yet far from him at the same time.

 

Neither of them was speaking to each other. It’s either Chaerin or his parents would be the one to visit Haru in Busan when Dara feels like Haru is getting too exhausted from the trip or Donghae would not be there when she drops Haru off before going to work or picking him up. There was one time that she had gotten off work a little early and found Donghae playing with Haru on the floor of the living room. He was blowing bubbles and Haru seems to be delighted at it. He was momentarily frozen when their eyes met and Dara had to look away. Chaerin noticed the tension between them but thankfully, she bit her  tongue and just opted to offer her to eat some snacks before going home.

 

Donghae seems to be less loud now that Dara was sitting on the couch but Dara focused her attention on Chaerin, ignoring him too. Chaerin noticed her ring and took her hand.

 

“Wow, it’s beautiful. Where’d you bought it?” Chaerin asked brightly.

 

Dara smiled remembering how Kwanghee grudgingly gave it to her. “Kwanghee gave it to me.”

 

Chaerin’s bright smile faded a little but Dara didn’t notice. “Oh,” she breathed putting her hand down gently. “Well… he’s got good taste.” She gave a wide awkward smile before taking a sip of her orange juice.

 

Donghae could hear every word and his eyes glanced at the ring in her hand while feeling bitterness rising up in his stomach.

 

Everything was pretty much calmer after. No talks about the past, no Donghae to feel irritated at… No Donghae to fight with… no one to bicker with her….. Yes, everything is calm. She just miss him, that’s all. But she knows she have to be used to it now. There’s no more chance of them. Not when her future is already promised to someone who needed her. She sometimes wondered if she’s doing the right thing but she would only think back when Kwanghee didn’t leave her at times when she is desperate for someone to grab onto and she would realize, no she’s not doing the right thing for her. She’s doing the right thing for him.  

 

Then she  would go back in drowning herself with work just to forget the pain. She would stay up all night finishing every task before driving home and dropping dead once she hits her bed. Dammit, she’s doing everything she did back then like a history being repeated. But this time, there would be no more Donghae popping out of her cubicle to rant at her for being an idiot.

 

Her phone buzzed snapping her out of her thoughs and she read the message from Kwanghee.

 

Ready for tomorrow night? Wear something impressionable okay? A lot of reporters will be there to capture your beauty.

 

She smirked. The night meaning the proposal event that he had cooked up. She sent in a response. Yep, got everything ready so make sure you’ll do something to make me cry to make it more real.

 

Got my eye drops ready.

 

She chuckled before placing her phone back on the table again not wanting to think on how it would be tomorrow.

 

She wondered how Donghae is faring. It doesn’t seem like he was affected that much since he was never around anymore while she was trying not to wish to see him everyday and just… just see him. Maybe he realized she was right. Or maybe he realized he never really knew her for him to hold on to. From what she had overheard from Chaerin’s conversation with Donghae’s mother yesterday, Donghae had a flight tonight to Singapore for some business meeting. She scowled at that. The jerk didn’t even bother telling her. Of course, maybe not really her but for Haru! What if he looks for his father and she couldn’t tell where he is. Jerk.

 

Her office door opened and her secretary’s head popped in. “Miss Dara, meeting room is ready.” Dara nooded her thanks before gathering all the things she needs for the staff meeting. She’d bet they were probably killing her with their minds for making them work overtime for a meeting when she could’ve done it earlier. She just thought it would prevent her from having an available time to think. Yes, it’s unfair but hey, perks of being a boss come in handy sometimes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The rain pelted heavily without showing any intention of letting up. Dara let out a breath as she stood on the side of the building’s entrance wondering how she could get to her car dry. Her meeting with the publishing staff had taken more time than she expected and making the report had taken twice as that. When she had finished sending the report to Kwanghee’s email, she was surprised that it was already 2 in the morning. The office hall was already empty except for a couple of cleaning janitors and the security who informed her to take care as the rain seems to be pouring really hard. She only nodded before exiting the building and found out that the security guard was right. The rain has been falling non stop for at least 30 minutes now since she got out.

 

All I need is a couple of minutes to get to my car. Just let up for a couple of minutes, she said crossly as she looked up at the dark sky. Why couldn’t she remember to always bring an umbrella with her? She sighed and just decided to make a run for it. After all, her car is just parked on the front of the lot across from the building. She tightened the coat she was wearing and made a dash for it.

 

She looked like a drowned cat when she got to her car, her hair wet and limp and her brown coat looked like it just came out of the washer. She shrugged out of it and placed it on the passsenger seat along with her bag. She started her car and drove off thinking to just get a hotel to sleep in and wait until morning to get home.

 

Unfortunately, she realized she had left her wallet on her other bag and she only had a couple of bills with her. . She was already exhausted, hungry, and sleepy. She let her engine idle as she racked her brain for a place to stay because sleeping in the car is not appealing to her at all. Kwanghee had too much to worry about for her to suddenly call out of the blue. It would probably not matter to him but she really doesn’t want to see him yet and be reminded of her coming future. If Suzy is still here, she would’ve welcomed Dara with open arms but unfortunately, she’s still happily trekking the beauty of the European Countries.

 

Why didn’t I have many friends?

 

It’ll be completely embrassing if she could go to the Lee Matriarch’s house and bother everyone by ringing the doorbell at 2 in the morning. Should she call Chaerin? No, she had inconvenienced Chaerin too much already by asking her favors.

 

Then a thought popped in her mind. Donghae’s. Didn’t they say Donghae had a business meeting in Singapore? He’s probably in the plane now. Which means his unit is empty. This isn’t really trespassing. More like borrowing a shelter.

 

I’ll be gone there in a flash. Nodding to herself, she drove off to The Fortress.

 

 

 

 

 

 

His flight got cancelled. He had been waiting inside the airport for at least 3 hours now only to be informed that due to the heavy rain, his flight would have to be rescheduled. Dammit. He already sent a message to his assistant to tell him his flight got rescheduled before getting back to his car.

 

He was driving on the highway when his phone rang. It was Siwon.

 

“Hey,” he answered.

 

“I heard your flight got cancelled. The guys are here drinking their asses off.”

 

Donghae smirked. “Word got out fast.”

 

“I saw the news of cancelled flights on TV,” Siwon said.

 

He thought about it before deciding. “I’d probably just sleep in. I’m really tired.”

 

“Okay,” Siwon said.

 

They both hung up and Donghae regretted his decision in not drinking with the guys tonight. It was a   good enough reason to forget about everything for a while. Or at least, Dara. She had been running in his mind non stop and he felt exhausted just by thinking about her. They had never really talked, as in exchanged a conversation, after that day she basically told him that she hates him. He wasn’t surprised anymore with that. He knew it was his fault she hated him now. Especially that time when he accused her of sleeping with Kwanghee for career advancement. He said things that he didn’t really mean out of his jealousy. It just came out of him because he was burning with it and wanted to infuriate her as much as she had infuriated him. And he couldn’t forget the look in her eyes when she slapped him in the face. It was full of pain and anger. Tears had brimmed over her eyes but she didn’t back down and told him to his face what a total he is.

 

Yes, he’s a total . An who missed her so much it feels like he’s being ripped apart. When did his life turned out this way? If not because of the accident…. He sighed at where his thoughts are going. He already lost his memories. And he already lost her. That’s why he tried to steer clear of her for a while. Not really knowing what he should do if he sees her again and knowing that she hates him.

 

He’s a frickin’ piece of art. He had been berating himself over time. Why didn’t he listen to everyone when they told him they were together? And that they were already going to get married? He’s too stubborn to realize the truth that is staring him in the face.

 

His mind flashed back to the time when he woke up from the hospital, he was blank. And his friends told him he’s marrying Sandara Park. He couldn’t remember anything. Sandara Park? All he could remember is that psychotic girl they played a bet on. And he thought them being together means that he had been convincing. And he will win the bet. All he could remember is about the bet. Nothing more. He even thought his friends are playing a prank on him. Even his cousin.

 

But the doctor himself  informed him he suffered an injury in the head. Suffered a Retrograde Amnesia that made him lose some part of his memories permanently. And they were right. He had no memories at all for almost a year. Or any memories at all with Sandara Park apart from the time when he and the guys made the bet to make Dara fall for him in two weeks. And the way he tried to make her fall for him but wanting to give up because Dara is a psycho.

 

“I knew about the bet.” He remembered her telling him that when he told her she had been a crazy stalker. “That’s why I acted like that. I was tryng to get back at you! And you made a deal with me when you found out I knew. You didn’t want to lose so you made a deal with me. Ah dammit! You need to remember that!”

 

He couldn’t accept what she said. Couldn’t accept what Jaejoong had said. Or his grandmother. Or Chaerin. Or anyone. Or even Yoona. For all he thought is that Yoona was the one he most yearned for. And he pined for her, ignoring Dara’s attempts of reaching out to him. Disregarded her. Thinking that if he really was inlove with her like what everyone had said, then he should’ve had at least a feeling in him. A yearning for her. But nada. Nothing. Whenever he sees her he feels irritated. If she had been his fiancé, then he should’ve felt something even if he had no memories of it, right? Little did he know that it will come to him too late.

 

When Dara had went to him that night, kissing her, touching her, making love with her was like something that he felt he had been waiting for his entire life. He didn’t understand the feeling but he was caught up in whirlwind of emotions that he couldn’t stop. Couldn’t think.

 

But when Yoona walked in on them, looking hurt and shocked, he felt like he cheated on her. He  thought that he had been caught in some kind of evil plan this Dara girl concocted to get even with him because of the bet. He was so enraged he lit into her. He had never felt so angry in his entire life and he promised himself he would set things right. And he followed Yoona in the US.

 

It had been fun for a while. They both enjoyed the sights and he was glad he followed his heart. But day by day, he felt like someone is punching a hole in him. Some times he would not realize that he would be staring in space until Yoona nudged him. There were a lot of times when he keeps seeing Dara everywhere. The cashier at the mall, the waitress, the lifeguard, the receptionist, the chambermaid. She was everywhere until he blinked and she was gone. Day by day, he felt hollow as If there was something missing and all he could think about was her. Her smile… her crazy laughter… her scowls… her frowns… her lips… her kisses… that look in her face when she slid the ring off her finger… the tear

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter