Chapter 7

At Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He was ready get back to work the next morning. He had been moving his legs yesterday around his house, trying to get a feel of it and realized the only pain he had been feeling is so faint now that it’s easy to ignore. He had stayed in his unit the whole day yesterday reviewing documents. He knew there will be a pile of work waiting for him at his desk which made him a lot more eager to get back. He had been calling his secretary for some information that he needs to brace himself with and was surprised that he actually made it into signing Lofty Enterprises with an exclusive contract. His secretary had sent him all the papers and documents to review and it took him almost the entire day trying to understand every changes that happened in his company. His mom visited him again, without his dad, and he told her he’s no longer a patient so she needs to stop worrying about him. Chaerin came next and she only raided his refrigerator which doesn’t really have much stored. Grandma called him to ask how he is and he just told her he’s fine. He’s pretty much busy reviewing he contracts he had managed to sign on for the last year. And he was satisfied. Man, he was really good.

 

He stretched his arms up high as he got up from his bed then his eyes caught sight of a framed picture of a smiling Dara at his bedside table. What the hell? He grabbed it and shoved it inside his drawer then  cautiously stretched the leg he had received the surgery on. Satisfied with the faintest pain he had felt, he strode out of his bedroom. Only to stop short when he saw Dara sitting on his sofa watching TV. Eating chips. He cursed inwardly. He forgot to change his passcode.

 

Dara peeled her eyes away from the TV and brightly greeted him, “Good morning!”

 

Telling her to actually get lost isn’t working so the best way to avoid further altercation is to just ignore her. She didn’t come back after he tried to break off with her yesterday and it was for the better. His house became quiet for once. He just walked to his kitchen to get water for his medicine and decided he would just eat breakfast at Fishy Ideas. After downing the three tablets, he went back to his room without so much as a glance from her and closed his door. He went to his closet and took off his shirt when a horrible thought struck him. She didn’t really brought all her things to move into his unit did she? He racked his brain if he had seen any suitcases or her bag on his way to the kitchen but he couldn’t remember. He should’ve noticed it right?

 

He jumped when his door suddenly banged open and Dara stormed in. “Wha—what the hell!” He yelled covering himself with the shirt he just took off.

 

“I’m here to make a proposal,” Dara announced as she walked towards him.

 

“I’m not interested,” Donghae said. “Get out!”

 

Dara scowled as she looked him up and down while he covered himself with his shirt then waved a hand as if in dismissal. “Please. I’ve seen you without a shirt on so it’s not really a big deal for me.”

 

Everytime he talks to this girl, he was always rendered completely speechless. By her abrasiveness, intrusiveness, callowness, and craziness! He shouldn’t be surprised after all. What do you expect from a girl who had been hanging out with gangsters in high school?

 

“Give me three months,” Dara said with an eager expression, holding up three fingers. “Three months to spend with you and after that, you’re free to do whatever you want.”

 

“No.” He glared at her.

 

“I’ve given you three months before when you made a deal with me so it’s only right that you returned the favor!”

 

“No.”

 

“Two months then.”

 

“No.”

 

“One?”

 

“Get out!”

 

“Work with me here,” Dara said putting a hand on her hip. “I’m offering you a deal. Like you made me. Spend three months with me. You are not allowed to date anyone, you will spend all your free time with me, you will talk to me without shouting, go on dates with me and whatever boyfriends and girlfriends do and If after that you really feel it’s not working out, then I’ll let you go without making a fuss.”

 

Donghae made an impression of givng it a thought. “Uh… hold on let me think.” Then he answered just as quick. “No. Get outta my room!”

 

“Three weeks then!” Dara said and Donghae knew she’s not going to shut up so he forcefully turned her around and pushed her out of his room whilst Dara protesting. “Okay, two weeks. It’s a good deal!”

 

He managed to pushed her out and slammed his bedroom door shut and the lock. God! He’s living in his house but he’s being harrassed! He heard her knocking on the door continuing with her ridiculous idea of a proposal.

 

“Donghae! I have written my proposal in a paper and will leave it on your table, okay? Read it. I’ll be leaving so it wouldn’t interfere with your logical reasoning to make the wise decision. You would know that this will work for both us, okay?”

 

He made one kick on the door with his good foot. “Get out of my house!”

 

He heard a thump and he guessed Dara kicked the door too. “I will, you idiot! Look, I gave you space yesterday, right? That was very considerate of me so consider the deal I am offering you. I will give you time to breathe!”

 

He decided to just tune her out as he went back to his closet again but her voice is seeping into his eardrums.

 

“Donghae! I know you’re listening to me. Did you know why you haven’t called the police yet to arrest me like what you keep on threatening me with? Or even changing your passcode? That’s because your instinct is telling you not to. See? Your instinct knows me.”

 

What friggin’ instinct? The only reason he hadn’t done all that was because he keeps forgetting about it. But he’s gonna make sure to do it this time, thanks for the reminder.

 

“So before you regret anything by pushing me away, think about my proposal! You’ll benefit from this too!” She stopped talking before she knocked again. “Donghae?!” Silence. Then she called his name softer this time. “Donghae?”

 

Donghae was draping a towel over his shoulder when he paused as he tilted his head. Her voice was almost inaudible as she called out his name again. “Donghae?” Then he heard a soft sob. Is she crying?! His brows furrowed as he went to his door and listened more closely, pricking his ears towards the door. He can hear sniffles and stifled sobs. Without thinking, he flung the door open.

 

And saw Dara with her tearless face scrunched up as she faked her crying. Her face instantly smoothened into a wide triumphant smile when she saw him. “See? You can’t even stand the thought of me crying.”

 

Oh god, the craziness of this girl is interminable! “I can’t stand the idea of your tears staining my floor.” He gave her his most firmest glare. “Get out!”

 

Dara put her hands inside her pockets and pulled a folded piece of paper. She smoothed it out and put it in front of Donghae. “Here’s my proposal. I signed it too so you would know I’m really serious.”

 

Donghae barely glanced at it. “You can shove it in the trash can.” Then Donghae slammed his bedroom door shut.

 

“That was really rude!” Dara yelled from the other side. “I spent all night making this! Donghae!” Then she sighed loudly. “Alright, I’m gonna leave now but read it okay? I’m just going to put it in your table. Think about it!”

 

Donghae just scowled at the door before taking a step inside his bathroom. She’d better be out of his house once he’s done. It’s not a good way to start his day.

 

After getting dressed and all ready to go, he cautiously opened his door and peered outside of his room expecting Dara to jump out of nowhere. But his unit is devoid of any life. Thank God! He walked out and just took his car keys. His eyes fell on a piece of paper on his table with a box of mug on top of it just as he was about to get to the door. He just shook his head before stepping out of his unit to get to work. But he had to go somewhere first.

 

After buying a boquet of flowers, he stopped his car in front of Yoona’s house. He was greeted by the security and ushered inside when Yoona gave him the okay. He found Yoona smiling awkwardly in her simple shirt and jeans as she strode by to greet him.

 

“Hey,” Yoona said then her smile turned lopsided when her gaze went to the flowers he was holding.

 

He extended it to her which she accepted reluctantly. “I hope you also like the flowers yesterday.” He didn’t receive any message from her when he sent her flowers.

 

“Yeah, they were beautful. Thank you,” Yoona said. Then she turned to get the flowers a vase. Donghae’s eyes fell on the Carnations he had sent her in the middle of the table in the living room and his heart warmed. He watched Yoona as she asked one of the maids to get her a vase and she arranged the flowers herself before putting it in the middle of the dining room table. She smiled before turning to him and shaking her head. “Thank you for these but… you really shouldn’t have.”

 

Donghae just gazed at her feeling like his chest is bursting before striding towards her. He stopped when he was already in front of her. “Why didn’t you tell me we went to Barcelona together?” He was really surprised when Dara had mentioned that. In fact, he was surprised at everything she had said yesterday. He couldn’t believe it. He was the one who broke up with Yoona. So that means Yoona had actually accepted him when he confessed. It doesn’t matter what happened after that but the fact that they had been together meant so much to him.  The surprise he felt turned into joy at the realization that Yoona had actually gone out with him and not looking at him like a brother. He doesn’t know why she told him that but now he knows, there’s a big chance that she feels something for him too. And if she is just rejecting him because she considers Dara’s feelings, because she is so sweet that way, then he’s going to make her see nothing should but the two of them. She doesn’t have to make everyone happy when it’s going to make both of them miserable in the end.

 

Yoona’s eyes slightly widened and she averted her gaze. Donghae continued as his eyes bored into her. “Why didn’t you tell me we had actually gone out?” Then he smiled fighting the urge to hug her tight. “That you actually accepted me?” His smile fell instantly. “That I was the one who broke up with you?”

 

Yoona let out a breath and walked past him as she answered, “Because it’s already over. It’s already in the past.” Donghae turned to follow her and she faced him again, her forehead creased. “There’s no use dredging it up so just… don’t.”

 

Donghae nodded. “You’re right. There’s no use thinking about the past. It’s already over and forgotten. Literally.” He walked closer to her. “So whatever happened to us before is no longer important. I’m gonna continue loving you Yoona. Because that is the only thing I can remember of doing.”

 

“Donghae—“ Yoona started looking so conflicted but he cut her off.

 

“If you don’t want me to love you then you’d better stop being so damn kind and nice.” He smiled at her incedulous expression. “If you’re only saying you don’t want me because you’re scared of hurting Dara then please… don’t. I don’t remember her, I remember you. I don’t love her, I love you. And if by some catastrophic reason that you guys had been right about me actually going out with her… then maybe there’s a reason I forgot that in the first place.” He smiled again. “Isn’t it odd that out of everything that I could have lost, I lost that?” Donghae lifted his hand and gently pushed a strand of hair off her face. “I kept it for so long and I don’t think I can continue just loving you from afar. I won’t give up, Yoona. I won’t give you up.” Then he grinned as he repeated the same thing she had told him at the hospital. “So don’t give me too much grief for always being around you. It only means I love you that much.”

 

Yoona just stared at him in astonishment, slightly open, unable to say anything.

 

“I’ll see you again,” Donghae just said smiling even though his heart is close to falling off his chest. “I’ll be going back to work today and I just dropped by to say that.”

 

Yoona looked at down at his knee even while she had that incredulous expression. “Are you….”

 

“it’s fine now,” Donghae said smiling broadly, wanting to kiss her but is afraid it would be too forward of him. “Thank you for worrying about me.”

 

She llifted her eyes at him again, her forehead still creased.

 

“I’ll call you later then,” Donghae said smiling before walking towards the door. But then stopped when he got to the door. He turned to her again, cupped both his hands in his mouth and shouted, “I love you, Yoona!” His voice reverberated inside the vast living room making the cleaning maids giggle quietly. Yoona looked like she didn’t know if she should laugh or cry as she watched him grin before walking out the door. Her face gradually fell as she sighed heavily, guilt spreading through her when she felt like she made a mistake. She only wanted him to be happy. She tried to do the right thing by trying to make him understand Dara is the girl he wanted now. She had already accepted that. She was really happy for him. For both of them. And she came home thinking she was already over him.

 

But no, she realized. She wasn’t at all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara pressed the doorbell beside the wide brown iron gate before running her fingers through her hair, trying to make it stay in place. A security opened the door on the other side and let her in. She had been here way too many times for the guard to actually suspect her of doing something to be arrested for. She smiled widely at him which the security returned before walking over to the already open front door.

 

“Dara.” The Lee Matriarch walked over to her as soon as she saw Dara and hugged her warmly. “It’s been so long since I’ve last seen you. How are you?”

 

Dara smiled. “I’m okay, Mrs. Lee.” The Lee Matriarch had invited her last night to drop by for breakfast with her. After dropping by at Donghae’s, she went here next.

 

The Lee matriarch made a pfft sound. “How many times do I have to tell you to call me Grandma? Everyone does. Come here and join us for brunch.” She led her to her huge dining room and found Chaerin and Jaejoong already eating. Chaerin still looked like she’s half asleep as she took a sip of her juice while Jaejoong is already dressed up eating some egg rolls.

 

Dara sat on the chair beside Chaerin and across from Jaejoong while the Lee Matriarch resumed her seat in the middle. One of the servants placed a cup of coffee by Dara’s side which she thanked her for.

 

“So how are things with Donghae? Still no luck?” Grandma Lee looked sympathetic.

 

Dara gr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter