Chapter 2

At Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The diamond glimmered against the light as Dara held it up while she was lying down on her bed, sleep unquestionably and unsuprisingly eluding her. She could feel the smile stuck on her lips as she moved her hand studying it from every angle and trying not to be too giddy about it. Even after Donghae had dropped her off at her apartment after that surprise proposal of his, she still couldn’t believe it. She’s now engaged to Lee Donghae. She’s going to marry Lee Donghae! It was so… unreal. It feels like a dream that she’s currently having. She her side and hugged her pillow while the smile on her face stayed. Gah! She feels like she had gone back to high school. Even if she didn’t even have crushes on high school, it feels like she had gone back to that time and actually felt  like a sappy teenager overflowing with giddiness.

 

The party which turned out to be an engagement celebration for them became the most memorable event of her life. She was still pissed at Donghae for his cold acting which made her believe that he was really breaking up with her and Chaerin and Suzy for giving her that idea in the first place. She would never have decode the We need to talk as a form of a break-up intro. Donghae had  apologized to her before hugging her tight as he laughed out loud at her ticked off face. And not letting her go until she actually answered his big question with a vocal Yes. Which she did in a disgruntled tone, even though her heart is close to jumping out of her chest and dance in the middle of the vast hall. Donghae must’ve seen through it because he grinned widely, threaded his fingers through hers then announced to everyone, She said Yes. Dara could only roll her eyes at that while everyone cheered loudly than before.

 

She couldn’t remember much on what happened as she was b with too much happiness. She did remember hugging almost everyone in the room as they congratulated her, though. Her mom deliriously happy for her, Donghae’s parents hugging her as if she is already a part of their family. And the Lee Matriarch, who looks like the happiest of all, as she demanded that they come visit her tomorrow. But apart from that, it was just like a whiz of everything. She’s still trying to get it all together, wrap her mind around the fact that she is now an engaged woman. She had pinched herself just to see if she was just dreaming but it hurts so it means it had been real. And the ring on her finger will attest to that. It is just too good to be true.

 

A beep from her phone sounded and she took her phone to read who it is this time. There has been a lot of messages coming in from work congratulating her and she had been responding eagerly, thanking them. But the message this time was from Donghae.

 

She smiled as she read his message.

 

You’re still awake, right? Aish, I knew how much you missed me but go to sleep now, okay? Don’t think about me too much.

 

She sent a response.

 

As if. Why are you still awake?

 

I can’t sleep either. Some say it was because somebody was thinking about you so you need to stop it so I could sleep too.

 

The nerve! Her smile turned into a grin as she sent a reply. I can’t sleep because i kinda lost the ring and I can’t find it.

 

She snorted and seconds later, her phone is ringing. Dara rolled her eyes as she sat up and rested her back on her headboard. He is so gullible! Either that or she was really inlove with an idiot. She pressed the answer button and Donghae spoke even before she can call out a greeting.

 

“Ya! Don’t tell me you really lost the ring,” Donghae said in an ominous tone.

 

“What, you’re not gonna marry me if I did?” Dara countered.

 

Donghae was silent for a second thinking about it. “Maybe,” he finally answered.

 

Dara grinned before saying in a cute, girly voice. “Oppa!”

 

She heard Donghae in a breath and she went on for the kill. “Saranghae.”

 

“Aish…” Donghae said and she could actually see him smiling. “Okay, I’m still going to let you marry me.”

 

She laughed. Man, it was so easy to act cute with him. The first time she did it was only by trial when Donghae got mad at her when she had forgotten that they were supposed to meet for dinner and she didn’t notice the number of messages and calls from him until it was too late. Now, everytime he got mad at her, she would only have to act cute while clinging onto him and he would immediately forgive her. No one told her acting cute is a very effective weapon.

 

“I didn’t lose the ring, idiot,” she said her voice returning to normal. “I was just kidding, as it was obvious enough. I can’t believe you fell for it.”

 

“I didn’t,” Donghae said then added. “I thought it was a good enough reason to call you and hear your voice before I sleep.”

 

Ooooh this is too soppy. Like downright mawkish.

 

And she was lovin’ it!

 

How can just a simple line like that that she used to make fun of makes her heart go into an erratic thumping? Even after a year, his corny lines is still making her grin like a giddy fool. What did Donghae do to her?

 

“Go to sleep now,” Dara said instead trying to put some firmness in her tone. “It’s already 2 in the morning.”

 

“You go to sleep now,” Donghae said. “What are you still doing up anyway?”

 

“After what happened today—or last night rather— you expect me to sleep easily?” Dara retorted.

 

“Do you want me to come over so I could tuck you in?” Donghae said in a teasing tone.

 

“Shut up,” Dara responded chuckling. “It’s a good thing Suzy went to her parent’s house. Otherwise, she’d be screaming at me now to shut up instead.”

 

“Why don’t you just move in with me? You’re always alone there,” Donghae said.

 

It sounds tempting…. Really tempting but… “If my mother finds out, she’s gonna kill me.”

 

“Your mother loves me.”

 

“That’s because you’re the only guy who asked to marry her daughter. And besides, as you had been firm on your resolve on keeping your promise to my mom, i think moving in would be dangerous to your health. And, you know, I have to take care of my virtue and everything.”

 

Donghae guffawed as he listened to her short monologue. “Ya, are you having dirty thoughts? I only meant it’s much better for you to live here so you wouldn’t be alone. It’s not like I’m suggesting for us to live like husband and wife already.”

 

Dara’s face reddened and she was glad Donghae couldn’t see her. Because that’s exactly what she was thinking. “It’s the same thing doofus! People would think we’re living like that if I move there.”

 

She only heard Donghae mutter under his breath which she can make out as “It’s not like you haven’t seduced me yet.”

 

She reddened all the more as she remembered how she went to him one night when she thought of setting him free and wanting to spend one night with him. Which is, of course, her seducing him.

 

“Yeah yeah yeah,” Dara said feeling vexed but she clarified . “I tried to seduce you but you were the one who pushed me against the wall.”

 

There was silence on the other end before Donghae spoke in a low, lazy tone tone, “Are we gonna now? Cause I’m all for it.”

 

Dara felt open in incredulity while Donghae suddenly laughed on the other end and it annoyed her that he would be one notch ahead of her in this stupid banter. “If I’m gonna , you wouldn’t be able to handle it.” Why does it feel like the heater suddenly turned up In her room? And she doesn’t even have a heater.

 

“Try me,” Donghae drawled.

 

She really want to get even. She really does. But this is one subject she really doesn’t have any experience much. After all, it only happened to them once. And it’s not even her choice that there’s no second time yet. She debated with herself whether she would jump on Suzy’s side and rummage her collection of romance novels for some one big line that’ll make his jaw drop. “I… i…” She tried to rack her brain for something daring to say.

 

“Uh huh?” There was laughter in his voice knowing she’s gonna lose this one.

 

“I…” An idea popped into her head and she bit back a smile. “I love you, oppa!” Her voice transformed into her cute, girly voice.

 

“Ow!” his voice sounded like something hit him and he was gasping for his life. “You’re killing me.”

 

Dara let out a laugh. “Just go to sleep!” Her voice turned to her normal tone.

 

“I’ll pick you up at around 6 tomorrow night, okay?” Donghae said still chuckling reminding her of their date with his grandmother at her house. “And you go to sleep too. Kiss me good night.”

 

Dara rolled her eyes but put the speaker near and made a smacking sound. “Good night,” she said, the smile getting wider by the minute.

 

“Love you, wifey.”

 

And he hung up leaving Dara with the phone in her hand. She slowly removed it from her ear and looked at the wallpaper on her phone with a smile on her face, a feeling of possibly melting by what Donghae said. She doesn’t think she would ever get tired of hearing it. She sighed as she stared at Donghae’s derpy face on her screen before locking it then thought, Maybe I should read books so I could shock him. Fifty shades? Does Suzy even have that? She slid in under her blankets and pulled it up to her chin. Or better yet, maybe I should jump him next time and he wouldn’t be able to do anything about it. That would be the best out of the best things to shock your fiancé. She tittered silently at the thought of it and she closed her eyes with a smile on her face.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Donghae woke up close to 12 in the afternoon still feeling tired and wanting to sleep some more but energy is flowing through to him when he opened his eyes. He stretched as he yawned and his eyes darted to Dara’s framed picture on his bedside table. He sleepily took it and kissed it while he greeted it, “Good morning, wifey.” before returning it back on its place.  He stood up to take a shower now to get ready for his meeting today with the Chairman of the Lofty Enterprises. The old man is so workaholic that he even schedule his meetings on a Sunday and thought everyone is workaholic as him. Since this is the only time his head is back in its place, he figured it would be a good thing too. He had been really distracted since he planned his proposal to Dara. He got the idea from Chaerin who only mentioned a scenario like that in passing and the idea just flicked on him.

 

Acting cold and distant had been hard for him especially when all he wanted to do is to always be wherever she is. So ignoring her calls, text messages, and not meeting her eyes. It was like torture for him. When he saw her that day at the Fishy Ideas looking so hurt and angry, it was nearly his undoing and he wanted to run over to her and tell her his plans. He had been pacing restlessly inside the conference room battling with himself while his two assistant directors had been watching him with amusement. He’s pretty sure she’s going to beat him to a bloody pulp. And he’s not far from being wrong when Dara punched him in the face when she found out it was just a ruse.

 

But with the way she had looked last night, he knew it was all worth it. Now he’s an engaged man. He wondered why being tied down scared him before when all he is feeling now is get his life on fast forward so he could really call Dara his wife. His other half. Mrs. Sandara Lee. That sounds a lot better than Sandara Park anyway. He suddenly paused and clasped his hands together in a praying motion. Sorry Father-In-Law. I didn’t mean your name is bad. I just think her name will be a lot better with mine. Thank you sir.

 

After dressing up in a simple white polo shirt, he rode the elevator for the parking lot to head over to Fishy Ideas. He pulled out his phone when he is already inside his car and sent a message to Dara.

 

Still asleep? Rest as much as you want, okay?

 

Then he grinned as he sent another one.

 

Because you won’t be getting any of it once we’re married.

 

He started the car chuckling to himself wondering how Dara would interpret that. And he can’t wait until he finds out. A beep sounded when he was driving on the highway and only opened the message when the light turned red.

 

If you think that you can make me work around like a maid, then you’d better think again.

 

Donghae shook his head. Aish. Sometimes, he really can’t believe how innocent this violent girl is.

 

I wasn’t talking about house chores, he sent after adding at least three winking emojis.

 

The lights already turned green and he didn’t receive a response from her. He heard the beep when he was already parking his car at the Fishy Ideas and he opened the message with a grin on his face.

 

Ya! Lee Donghae!

 

Donghae chortled then another message came and he opened it eagerly.

 

If you had come over and tucked me in last night, you would be walking funny right now.

 

Donghae felt his mouth hang open. Did Dara just sent him a naughty response? Then he received  another message.

 

I win.

 

Donghae bit the inside of his cheek as he smirked. Ooohh she had no idea who she was dealing with.

 

Tell me why, he sent.

 

Tell you why what?

 

Tell me why I would I be walking funny

 

There was no response and Donghae let out a snicker. Ah, this is fun. He’s pretty sure Dara is already shaking her brain for a response. He stepped out of his car with a big grin on his face and walked towards the elevator to take him to his office. He took out his phone when he heard a beep.

 

Because you would be sitting in my couch all night

 

That’s the best rebuttal she can give? He shook his head smirking as the elevator door opened and he stepped out typing his response but another message came in before he can hit send.

 

Wearing me

 

Donghae’s head made a loud banging sound on the glass door as he walked against it making everyone turn around in his direction. He grimaced in pain as he rubbed the upper part of his forehead feeling like an idiot.

 

“Mr. Donghae, are you okay?” His secretary asked.

 

“Yeah,” Donghae squeaked then cleared his throat while he tugged the collar of his shirt. “Turn up the air condition here. It’s a little hot.” He strode over to his office ignoring the baffled look of his secretary and his other staff as they all looked down on their thick sweaters and coats.

 

Donghae received another message as he walked over to his desk and sat on his chair.

 

These romance novels of Suzy’s are really over the top. Like, what the hell does that even mean. Do you know?

 

Donghae let out an incredulous laugh before leaning his head back on his chair. “I’m gonna lose my mind.”

 

He sent a response. It means you better stop it if you don’t want me showing up on your doorstep right now.

 

He received an immediate reply. Why Lee D

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter