Chapter 11

At Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara felt her smile froze as her eyes fized its gaze at Kwanghee’s face looking as if he’s bracing himself from Dara’s volcanic reaction.

 

It took almost forever before Dara could find her voice. Still smiling, she told Kwanghee, “Tell me this is not the same Lee Donghae I have told you about a year ago on the plane.”

 

Kwanghee opened his mouth but then closed it with his eyes opened wide. He really wanted to tell her it’s not but he knows she’s gonna kill him if she finds out he lied. Which she will eventually anyway. So might as well tell the truth. Even if he doesn’t like that amiable smile on her face. “It is.”

 

Dara’s smile hardened as her jaw tightened before speaking again with a low dangerous tone. “Tell me you’re kidding.”

 

Kwanghee opened his mouth to close it once again. In all these time that he had known Dara, she’s got a fierce temper and by the look on her face, he knows she’s gonna erupt any moment and it doesn’t matter who will be caught in the crossfire by the bomb that he had just dropped on her. He should’ve invited her to eat a hefty breakfast first. It would probably mellow her down a bit. “I hope I am but I’m not,” he finally answered her.

 

Dara moved so fast it surprised Kwanghee as she went to his face, grabbing the collar of his shirt while she breathed steam in his face. “What the !”

 

“Ya, I was shocked at that too!” Kwanghee said as he leaned away from her. “And don’t act as if I did this on purpose!”

 

Dara unconsciously tightened her hold on Kwanghee’s collar. “Cancel that feature!”

 

“Dara, believe me, I would want to the moment I found out who the owner of that Mall Aquarium is, but we already have the cover printed for it and you know we can’t start from scratch. And uh… you’re kinda choking me a little.”

 

Dara let go as she straightened up looking down at Kwanghee who was scowling at her trying to get his collar back in its place. Her brows were furrowed as her thoughts ran. Donghae. She’s going to meet Donghae again after two years. . She started to pace. “I can’t do the interview. If I had known from the start who Aiden Lee is… I mean… Aiden Lee? Why didn’t I even know he’s got an english name?”

 

Kwanghee just watched her pace in front of him looking so bothered and agitated. “I don’t know, you were the girlfriend.” He sighed. “I thought you were already over him?”

 

Dara eyes flashed to his face. “I am. It’s Haru I’m thinking about! What if he finds out?”

 

“I thought you don’t plan on hiding it from him?”

 

She glared at him this time. “I don’t. But as I have told you, I don’t plan on telling him either.”

 

“Then don’t. I mean, what’s the problem? He’s only gonna be here for like, three? Four days? And it’s not like someone is gonna come up to him and suddenly say, Oh, I think Dara got a version of your mini-me at her house brought by a one-night stand that happened between the two of you two years ago. I mean, c’mon.”

 

Dara shook her head as she continued glaring at Kwanghee. “No. I’m not going to do the feature. I’m not going to do the interview.”

 

“I thought you are professional?” Kwanghee said wryly.

 

“I’m professional when my private life isn’t getting mixed up into it!”

 

Kwanghee stood up and faced Dara by taking a hold of her shoulders. “Dara, calm down, okay? You need to do the interview. This is business and I’m gonna pull rank. This is an important article that we need to do and it is crucial for us to print it in KMag.”

 

Dara just looked at him with her forehead creased and Kwanghee continued with a grin, “And don’t you think it’s time to face Donghae and show him that you had been much better off when he pushed you away?”

 

Dara narrowed her eyes at him. “This is not a freakin’ drama.”

 

“No, but you’re a drama queen.”

 

Dara slapped him on the shoulders and Kwanghee continued as he chuckled. “Let’s think of it this way. He probably wouldn’t even care if he saw you, anyway.”

 

“Geez, thanks.”

 

“Seriously,” Kwanghee said. “If he meant what he said to you like what you told me, then I think he wouldn’t really care if he saw you again. Unless you go and acted all psycho on him. Just show him, you’re now a successful writer with a successful life. And you don’t need him. Best revenge.” Then he added thoughtfully, “But that would be if he still cares. Which I think he doesn’t so that scenario is pretty useless.”

 

Dara just continued looking at him with a scowl on her face.

 

“Just be yourself, darling. And besides, what’s the worst that could happen? So he’s your ex. So what? Let him see you have moved on. And, I will be there so I will be acting like the possessive boyfriend. But I don’t think that would be necessary but for your sake, I would act all lovey dovey just to show it to his face that you met someone better.”He grinned. “Me.”

 

He sighed when Dara didn’t bat an eyelash. “You’re only gonna be meeting him twice. One tonight and one for the interview. He didn’t have to be present when you’re inside the building while our photographer take pictures. This is going to be a breeze. Don’t worry, okay? Do I look like I would do something to endanger my pretty face? I know how violent you are.” He rubbed Dara’s shoulders reassuringly. “It’s going to be okay. I know you haven’t seen him for two years and really, it’s time for you to face him now.” Then he paused while he studied Dara’s face. “Do you… still have feelings for him?”

 

Dara’s worried face turned into a scowl. “No.” Then she thought about it. “I think.” Then she threw up her hands as she continued pacing again. “How in the hell should I know!”

 

“Then I believe that it’s really time for you to face him.” Kwanghee said then added sternly. “This is business and as the president of the company, I am telling you to do the interview.”

 

Dara gritted her teeth at him.

 

“If you’re so worried about Haru, just lock him inside your house, geez.” He returned in sitting on the couch. “Just relax. Everything’s gonna be okay. If you ask me, he would probably be glad you already moved on from him.”

 

Dara could feel a slight prick in her chest as she regarded Kwanghee thoughtfully. Yes, he would probably be glad to see her moving on. If he even remembered her to begin with. She sat down heavily on the couch near Kwanghee’s. “Does… does he know I will be the one who’s going to interview him?”

 

“No, I don’t think so. We only spoke on the phone like, less than 5 minutes saying his mom already told him and yes, we could have dinner but I didn’t mention you.”

 

Dara crosed her arms over her chest as she stared at the table in front of her. Would this be the best way to face him after two years? She could still rememeber how he had looked like the last time they saw each other. She could still remember what he said that night. It’s not something you could easily forget. Having the love of your life try to pay you off to stay away from him. Maybe Kwanghee is right. Maybe she needs to show him she’s already in a better place without him. A lot better place. And besides, why would she turn tail and run? She should be the one lifting her chin up and showing him that he no longer mattered to her. She nodded to herself finally deciding. Yes, It’s probably the right time to meet him. To end everything.

 

And for Haru… yes, he wouldn’t know. He’s only gonna be staying for a short while anyway.

 

Kwanghee seeing the acquiesce on her face grinned. “So seeing that look on your face, I’d imagined you’re already agreeing to this. I’ll pick you up later tonight at 7? Dinner’s at Hill Station.”

 

Dara shook her head. “No. I’ll just meet you there.”

 

Kwanghee studied her silenltly then nodded his understanding while a grin spread on his face. “Oh, I get it.” He guffawed while Dara just raised her eyebrows at him wondering what’s gotten into him. “You’re preparing for the meeting huh? Gotta make the grand entrance and make sure he sees what he lost. Nice play, darling. Nice play.”

 

Dara slapped his knee with the folder on the table.

 

“Oww!” Kwanghee said grimacing and rubbing his knee.

 

“Shut up. You’re just going to make me more stressed out with you blabbering all the way if you picked me up.”

 

“Why are you so defensive?” Kwanghee retorted.

 

Dara narrowed her eyes at him before grinning after a minute. “Because that’s exactly what I meant to do.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara watched Haru as he shakes his head at Becky trying to coax him into eating his cereal. He’s too busy playing with his small balloons, bouncing them off on the floor and on Becky’s forehead as he squealed his joy. He then turned to Dara and threw the small balloon at her too which she pretended to be hit hard as she fell to the floor. Haru jumped up and down as he laughed and stretched his small hands out to Dara motioning for her to give him the balloon back but Dara shook her head.

 

“No more playing. Eat your cereal first,” Dara said hiding the balloon behind her.

 

Haru’s laughing face pouted. “Give give!”

 

He looks so much like Donghae when he do that that it made Dara’s chest tighten. How in the world is she going to get through tonight? She felt like once Donghae sees her, he would immediately know she’s hiding Haru.

 

No, I’m not hiding Haru, her mind argued back. Besides, it’s not like he would want to know. He told me to off and doesn’t want to have anything to do with me. So if he doesn’t want to have anything to do with me, then he doesn’t want to have anything to do with Haru either. It’s much safer for Haru if Donghae wouldn’t know. God knows what ridicule my son would suffer if I did tell him. Probably think i’ve produced a psycho offspring. He would probably not believe me anyway. So yes. Haru is safer if he wouldn’t know.

 

 “Bloon! Bloon!” Haru said jumping on Dara trying to get his balloon. Dara caught him and hugged him tight.

 

“No more balloon if you don’t eat.” She grinned at Haru’s scrunched up face trying to get off Dara’s hold.

 

“Ahh!! Ahh!!” Haru’s scant number of words turned into one sound as he tried to speak his displeasure. “Ahh! Ma!!”

 

“Eat your cereal,” Dara said forcing Haru to sit on her lap and Becky giving her the bowl. “We’ll go to Disneyland. Do you want that? Mickey mouse.”

 

Haru’s face brightened as he nodded. “Mickey!”

 

“That’s right,” Dara said as she scooped a portion of the cereal. “So, if you finish this, we’ll go to see Mickey. Do you want that?”

 

“Yeth!!” Haru said bouncing in her lap but shook his head making a face when Dara tried to put the small spoon in his mouth. “No! No!”

 

“Ah. No more mickey and no more balloons,” Dara said.

 

“Mickey!” Haru said with his pout.

 

“Then eat cereal,” Dara said. “This is delicious. See? Very delicious. C’mon baby.”

 

“No, no. Mama, no. Mickey.”

 

“Mickey said he wants you to eat cereal,” Dara coaxed unsuccesfully as Haru squirmed out of her lap and went to get the balloon that bounced on the corner. “Bloon!”

 

Dara sighed heavily before she heard her phone ring and she answered it. It was Kwanghee.

 

“Aren’t you taking a little bit too much time getting ready for your face off? It’s already close to 8. Donghae is already on his way. We can’t make a client wait.”

 

“He’s not our client,” Dara said wryly. “And I’m still trying to feed Haru.”

 

“Awww I miss Haru,” Kwanghee’s voice softened. “Let me talk to him.”

 

Dara put the phone on speaker and called Haru. “Haru! It’s Uncle Kwanghee.”

 

Haru’s face brightened as he jumped over to the phone and put it in his ear even if it’s on speaker. “Unca Kwee!”

 

Dara smirked at Kwanghee’s new name everytime Haru mentions him.

 

“Haruuuu!!! How’s my little boy?!” Kwanghee said.

 

Haru started with his own vocabulary. “Wemickeybloon!”

 

“Yes,” Kwanghee said pretending he understand. “Wemickeybloon! Yay!!”

 

Haru squealed his delight before jumping over to his balloon and Dara trying to catch her phone when Haru unceremoniously dropped it.

 

“Kwanghee,” Dara said.

 

“Get in here now. If Haru doesn’t want to eat yet, no one can make him. Geez, you’re his mother. He’s got your attitude downpat.”

 

“Alright. I’m going there,” Dara said scowling before hanging up. She left instructions with Becky before standing up and brushing the invisible dust on her skirt. She’s already been ready 2 hours ago. She checked herself in the mirror again scrutinizing her look. She chose her most feminine but professional dress. A white turtleneck dress with mesh sleeves and matching it with a high cut stilleto boots that has been hidden for 6 months in her shoe closet. She had already been used in wearing heels but this one’s a lot harder to walk in. It just looks pretty to look at. But hey, this is a monumental occasion so she have to look her best by wearing the best. She even had her hair styled in soft tresses and pulled up into a sleek ponytail bringing out the soft features on her face. After writing numerous articles for make up and fashion tips, it’s not surprising if she learned a thing or two about it. In fact, she now believes she’s a pro at defining what looks best fit someone. Most specially herself. And she looks best with her hair up if she wanted to exude confidence and character. The type of let’s-play-but-don’t-mess-with-me kind of .

 

She nodded at herself before getting her purse and gave Haru a big kiss on the cheek, staining it with her peach colored lipstick. She left Becky one more instruction on what time Haru should be drinking his milk before stepping out of the front door to get to her car.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter