Chapter 15

At Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After dropping Becky off at the station, Dara drove off to Kmag while sending a message to her assistant to confirm the meeting and to set up the main conference to be ready. Lugging all the papers she needed, she proceeded to her office to get her power point ready and note the things she needed for the meeting. Kwanghee, as usual, will be late so Dara guessed she’s going to do the meeting by herself and will brief him later. She arranged all her papers by category then paused when she saw a paper with a hand writing that is not hers. It has a number on each paragraph and it took a while before Dara saw Donghae’s signature at the bottom of the page with words of You owe me. Forehead creased, her eyes flitted back to the top of the page to read his messy scrawl.

 

Yes, I came from a big family.

 

I like blue. And probably red.

 

No, I’m not fond of sweets.

 

Dara blinked before she bunched up her fist in elation. These are the answers for her interview questions! She immediately went to her computer to open up her draft article folders not wasting a minute to wonder what Donghae had eaten to gave her the interview she had been chasing him on. Well, not really the interview but these answers will do. She called her assistant to push the meeting one hour late as her fingers moved on the keyboard to set up her draft. She only paused when she get to the part when her question stated Why name it Aquarium Mall? In which Donghae answered,

 

I don’t know. Aquarium Mall just popped into my head one day. I got this fish I seem to be really fond of that’s swimming around and around in his little aquarium. I don’t even remember when I bought it or why but the fish looks pretty. It looks like Nemo.

 

Dara flashed back to the time when she told him she wanted to hold on to a fish that doesn’t belong to her and Donghae thought she wanted to have a pet so he bought her one. It stayed in Donghae’s unit and they have been taking care of it when they were dating. Guess she forgot about it when everything got messed up. She shook her head and continued to type. She closed her eyes in dismay after reading another line. Why did she even include this question? She thought she could skip it during the actual interview. She probably wrote it out of mere curiosity. Or maybe because there was a small piece inside her that wanted to know.

 

This question is personal and you can choose not to answer if you don’t want to. You had been in an accident two years ago resulting in a Retrograde Amnesia where memories for a certain period of time are permanently lost. But on stocks and sales, you have immensely garnered almost 60% increase on your profits for the first year after your accident. Any secrets? Have you, by any chance, retrive a piece of your memories and used that to get your competitors blindsided?

 

 No. It was Donghae’s answer. No secrets really. I just don’t have anything else to do. I made my office my home.

 

Short, precise, and direct to the point. It disappointed and relieved her at the same time. She continued typing then let out a groan at the next answer she is transcribing from Donghae’s answers. She pushed the keyboard away from her and stared at the monitor feeling like she wanted to just let her assistant type it. What is she even thinking to include this in her questions? Every damn answer is just making her shaken for whatever reason. Closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, she pulled the keyboard close to her again and started to type.

 

By being one of the most successful business entrepreneur, you became one of the most eligible bachelor in Korea. Any thoughts of settling down?

 

I have thoughts of settling down. But I’m waiting for someone.

 

Is there a chance Filipinas could change your mind was supposed to be her follow up question in case Donghae answered in the negative but he wrote his answer anyway.

 

Filipinas are very beautiful and very hospitable. If I could I would. But my heart already belonged to her. And it’s her private property until she renounced her claim.

 

“Stupid cheesy jerk,” she muttered as she typed furiously, her fingers heavy as she pressed the keyboard in succession. Why does it still hurt her, goddamit! She can’t get over him as much as he can’t get over Yoona. She is so angry at herself to the point when she wished she could speak to Yoona herself and tell her Donghae will always love her and she was the one who seduced him. God! She could go that route if it meant she could get away from the pain he’s bringing her. Get away from him! She just continued to type trying to just go with letters by letters instead of words by words so she wouldn’t be able to understand.

 

Finally through which what she considered a big ordeal in her entire career, she saved the file at the same time her assistant announced that the main conference is already set up. She asked if Kwanghee arrived eventhough she knew he wouldn’t and the assistant responded in the negative. She just nodded before standing and proceeding to the conference room to proceed with the meeting.

 

The meeting had gone for at least an hour and a half but Dara felt satisfied that something productive actually came out of it. One of the creative designers laid out a new cover for their next edition and she knew Kwanghee would tell them it looks fabolous! The writers also presented new ideas for the next feature article. She gathered all the documents and told to send it to her email and Kwanghee’s. Wrapping up the meeting, she went back into her office to find the president himself lying  lazily on the sofa. She put a hand on her hip and glared at him.

 

“Why didn’t you go to the meeting?”

 

Kwanghee had been moving his feet as he flipped over Kmag’s previous edition. “I was already late.”

 

“As if that stopped you,” Dara said rolling her eyes as she went to her desk. “There’s a new layout that our Creative Designers have suggested. I told them to send it to you for approval. And some ideas for our next feature article.” She placed all the papers she have on the table.

 

Kwanghee just made a sound of ­uh-huh as he flipped a page. Dara looked at him before leaning on the table and crossed her arms over her chest with narrowed eyes. “You and JoKwon had a fight, didn’t you?”

 

As she had expected, Kwanghee made a face as he sat up throwing the magazine on the side and letting out an exasperated breath. “I don’t understand why he can’t understand me! I already told him what he’s getting himself into if we dated so why is he complaining now?” Dara just let him rant. “He’s telling me to be honest and tell my dad about us but how can i? He doesn’t know my dad! I thought he was happy with the way we are right now and I told him many times I can’t tell my dad about me, about him, about us so why is he still pushing it?”

 

“Well… dating in secret and always looking over your shoulder is probably getting tiring,” Dara reasoned.

 

“Does he think I’m not tired of that? Why does he think I moved out of Korea and settled here? Because I want to be free!”

 

“You aren’t exactly free here either if you think everyone who watches you and Jokwon are your dad’s spies or your dad’s enemies.”

 

Kwanghee just looked like her like he wanted to cry. Dara remembered when Kwanghee told her how free he had felt the first year he had moved to the Philippines. That was when he had met JoKwon. But his father suspected something was off and visited without telling him. Kwanghee almost got caught and thanked the gods he didn’t let JoKown stay in his house. His father warned he will always watch him even if he didn’t see anything but he might have felt something. That’s when Kwanghee got paranoid. And the reason why he asked for her help. Dara became his shield from his father’s scrutiny.

 

Dara sat down next to him. “Jokwon can see how this situation is more difficult for you than it was for him and I think he wants you to tell your dad that because that is the only way you can be really happy. You know, I’m your friend. And I love you. So I understand him. Everytime you fret about your father’s enemies getting wind of who you really are and ruining your father’s political career… you know, it’s just….” She shook her head. “I really hate seeing you like that. And If i hate it, Jokwon probably hates it more.”

 

Kwanghee’s lower lip shook and he bit it. “I don’t know what to do anymore. Can’t I be happy and be free at the same time?”

 

Dara covered his hand with hers. “Of course you can.” She patted his hand. “Whatever you want to do, I’ll be here for you. Don’t you forget that. And JoKwon… I don’t think he will ever leave your side so don’t be too hard on him.”

 

“I don’t know why he always bring this topic up when he knows it’s going to end up with us fighting,” Kwanghee said.

 

Dara smirked. “He’s probably thinking he might get to change your mind one day.”

 

He sighed heavily. “I just… I just wish I could make him happy too but… I’m so scared. Why am I so weak? I’m a coward.”

 

“No you’re not. Well, okay maybe a little.” Dara smiled. “Everybody has their own fears.” Then the words Donghae told her before came out of . “Being scared doesn’t mean you’re weak.” She sighed when she remembered when he told her that. How long ago was it? It feels like a decade ago.

 

“No. I’m scared and I’m weak!” Kwanghee insisted.

 

“Do you want me to punch you to test that?”

 

Kwanghee glared at her. “This is my moment. Stop ruining it!”

 

Dara stood up rolling her eyes. “Just go to JoKwon, geez. I know how badly you want to kiss and make up.”

 

Kwanghee bit at his lip hesitantly. “I can’t give him what he wants Dara. What if he gets tired? What if…. What if he wakes up and realize he doesn’t want to be with me anymore?”

 

She looked at his worried face and Dara wished she could assure him that it won’t happen. But how can she be sure that it won’t? It happened to her. She took a deep breath before answering him. “Just enjoy your moment with him. And… if it did happen then… you’ll move on.” She nodded her head.

 

Kwanghee tsked. “Why did I even asked you? You are so full of sadness in your lovelife, of course you would tell me that.”

 

Dara scowled at him. “I was being serious here.”

 

“I don’t need serious!” Kwanghee stood up.

 

“That’s the harsh truth!”

 

“I don’t need the truth right now. I want lies!” He spread his arms when he said that and then turned and strode towards the door now wearing a big grin. Dara took the throw pillow and threw it at him. it landed behind his head.

 

“Awwww!!” Kwanghee glared at her while Dara was chuckling.

 

“Get outta here,” she said.

 

Kwanghee’s scowling face turned into a smile as he reached for the knob. “I love you, Dara. Thank you.”

 

“Uh-huh,” Dara just said before Kwanghee opened the door. “Review the files that was sent to you and tell me if it needs revisions!” Kwanghee just closed the door behind him while Dara shook her head knowing Kwanghee didn’t heard her. His mind is probably already with JoKwon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She didn’t realize she was already nodding off her desk until she felt the impact on her forehead when her head fell down on the table. She sat up rubbing her forehead as her eyes flew open at the pain. Oh gawd, she feels so sleepy. She yawned as she checked on the time. 4:35pm. Even drinking coffee already lost it’s effectivity of keeping her awake. She blinked several times and shook her head to be awake but her vision is already getting clouded the longer she stared at her monitor. She just decided to call it a day and will just get back with Kwanghee to find out the final decision. She sent him a quick text message to review the files including the draft she had sent for the feature so she could send it for proofreading once he gave his okay. Gathering her bag, she stood up to leave all the while admonishing herself on why she didn’t get Donghae’s number so she could check on Haru. He’d better be in one piece!

 

Her house is only a 30 minute drive from Kmag without traffic. She pulled up in front of the house and sleepily passed her gate and towards the door. It was locked. Brows furrowed, she tried to look through the glass window but could not detect any signs of life. No noise either. She took her keys, suddenly feeling awake now, and opened the door.

 

“Haru? Haru?” She called. She put her bag on the sofa and looked in her room, and then on Haru’s room. Panic is slowly rising inside her when she found the rooms empty. She checked the courtyard and found it empty too. “Donghae!! You stupid….” She immediately went to her bag and pulled up her cellphone. All kinds of scenario are already running through her brain and she paced. Kwanghee answered after her 3rd attempt.

 

“Dara?”

 

“What’s Donghae’s #?”

 

Kwanghee heard the panic in her voice. “Hold on. Let me get it.” He probably put her on speaker phone as he looked for Donghae’s number. She heard JoKwon asking What’s up? Kwanghee recited his number before asking, “What happened?”

 

“Haru’s not here. They’re not here!” Dara said feeling more panicked by the minute. She never should’ve left Haru with that stupid, slimy, dirty—.

 

“Okay, you need to calm down,” Kwanghee said. “Where’s Becky?”

 

“Becky’s gone to visit her mom and I’m so stupid because I left Haru with Donghae. If he even…. Dammit. I’ll call you later.”

 

“Let me know if you need my help,” Kwanghee said before Dara pressed the end button and called the number Kwanghee had gave her. It rang once, twice, three times, four until it reached his voicemail. Her heart is already running fast and she swear to god she’s going to hunt him down even if it’s the last thing she’d do. She tried again. And again. She felt like she’s going to burst into tears now. She probably tried so many times before Donghae answered.

 

“Hello?”

 

“You stupid little !!” Dara yelled. “Where’s Haru?!!”

 

Donghae was silent on the other end, probably surprised at her outburst, before he answered slowly, “He’s with me. He’s safe. We’re just at the park playing.”

 

Dara bit her lip from crying with relief and her chest is heaving at the panic that has clawed her insides. “Next time, tell me if you’ll take Haru somewhere!” She said with gritted teeth.

 

The panic must’ve been evident on her voice because Donghae didn’t gave a sassy response. “I’m sorry. I thought… I didn’t know you’re gonna get back early and Haru keeps on saying park so I brought him here and I didn’t know your number.”

 

She closed her eyes and tried to take a deep breath. “He meant Sparks. It’s a TV show he’s watching with twinkly stars dancing and singing.”

 

Donghae was silent before he breathed, “Ohhhhh.”

 

“Get him back here now!”

 

“Alright, fine,” Donghae said. “He’s haivng a good time too playing with the other kids here, if you must know.” Then she heard him call Haru. “Haru, mama’s here. On the phone.”

 

Dara scowled. Yeah, Haru is really fond of playing and seems to have a lot more of a good time when playing with kids around his age. “Mama!” Haru  said minutes later. “Pak play tik pag boong papa!”

 

“That’s great, baby!” Dara said without any idea what he’s talking about.

 

“He went to play with another kid again,” Donghae said seconds later. “I’ll bring him home now.”

 

“No. You already let him out so just let him play,” Dara found herself saying. “Just make sure to get him home before 6.”

 

“Alright.” The jerk sounds happy.

 

She pressed the end button without saying goodbye, really pissed, not even feeling any guilt for thinking the worst of him. At least she had been vocal on her trust issues with him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter