Chapter 13

At Odds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Wow….”

 

Dara craned her neck to look up at the exterior setting of the mall being built in the center of the city. Joross, one of KMAg’s official photographer, had his mouth open in awe as he looked at the sorroundings and Dara had to admit, it looked pretty impressive. There was a fountain at the front of the entrance, the landscape beautifully prepped with a lot of green. Pine trees and plants and grasses sorrounds the asphalted pathway with random benches on its bed. Light posts are all stationed on each corner and a zigzagging wooden canopy housing the long line of glass windows. It looked like a vast building in the middle of a forest or something, if Dara had to describe it.

 

Joross lifted up hia SLR camera, took aim and snapped a photo. “Wow,” he repeated. “It looks like it came straight out of an interior design catalogue.”

 

“Uh… maybe because it does,” Dara said wryly. “He’s got like more than 5 interior designers working this place so yeah, I would be really disappointed if it didn’t come out looking like this.” She adjusted her sling bag on her shoulders. Since it’s just an ocular shoot of the place, she just chose to wear her plaid red polo shirt that she tucked loosely in her denim jeans and her trusted sneakers. And she was glad she did because walking around while inspecting the place wearing even a 2 inch heels would definitely get her feet into a coma. “C’mon, let’s get to work.”

 

They passed through the entrance and dodged a lot of workers hammering the woods, drilling a hole in the wall, measuring the length of the floor. It seems like the interior of the place is still being created to be as magnificent as its exterior. Half of the building is almost done and Dara could feel a little bit nostalgic as she can see that the mall is being made to give an impression of being in Korea. She suddenly missed her home.

 

“Who should we look for again?” Joross asked as he snapped his camera.

 

“Uh… Mr. Kim Minseok. He’s the General Manager here. He’s also Korean and got assigned here.” Dara took out her notes. The general manager would be the one to show them around.

 

“Oh, that’s good. So you guys can get along very well.,” Joross said a little bit distractedly sa he eyed an ornate painting at the corner and took a picture.

 

Dara looked around for someone to ask for the general manager and her eyes zeroed in on the foreman. She marched over to him and asked.

 

“Let me call him for you,” the foreman said as he took his phone and let the manager know she’s already there. “You can go to the 3rd floor. Take that elevator. You would see him as soon as it opens.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

Dara called for Joross and they rode the elevator to the 3rd floor. Dara took her phone and sent a message to Becky that she might be coming home a little early while Joross reviewed the pictures he had just taken.

 

The elevator door opened and they both stepped out looking around for Kim Min Seok. The 3rd floor is still being polished to its grandeur and the wide open space with marble floors the color of wooden pines met their eyes. Joross took aim again and snapped while Dara searched for the general manager. She guessed it was the man dressed in suit talking to someone on the far end window. His back was to her and she placed her hand on Joross’ arm as they strode towards the manager. The man was smaller than she realized. More like they were on the same height when she got close enough. She cleared .

 

“Mr. Kim?”

 

The man turned and Dara smiled at him but it instantly fell when her gaze went to the person the general manager has been talking to. Lee Donghae was sitting languidly on the sill of the glass window looking like he wasn’t surprised to see her, his smirk spreading on his arrogant face as his eyes met hers.

 

“Ah, Ms. Dara and Mr. Joross,” Kim Min Seok greeted them with a handshake.

 

Ah . She inwardly cursed as she forced a smile at Min Seok. Donghae crossed his arms over his chest and just watched her dismayed face in amusement.

 

“I’m sure you have met Mr. Lee Donghae?” Min Seok asked them.

 

“Unfortunately,” she muttered under her breath.

 

Joross smiled as he bobbed his head at the owner. “I can’t say I have. It’s a pleasure to meet you sir.” He extended his hand which Donghae only regarded with a glance and Joross smile faded as he awkwardly pulled his hand back to return to his camera and Dara felt really angry. She can’t believe how rude Donghae is! She decided to just talk to Kim Min Seok. “So, Mr. Kim, is it okay if we proceed?”

 

Kim Min Seok looked at Donghae who was just silently watching them. “Uh… sir? I have already arranged the schedule for Kmag to take pictures.”

 

Donghae just put his hand up and Min Seok shut up. He looked at Joross who shifted in his feet as he pursed his lips nervously at Donghae’s scrutinizing gaze. “How long have you been a photographer?” He asked him.

 

“He’s been a professional photographer for 10 years,” Dara answered for him with gritted teeth not liking the condescending tone of his voice. What is he even doing in here?

 

Donghae turned to her. “I wasn’t asking you.”

 

“Well, I just answered you,” Dara retorted and Joross was looking at her in wide open shock on her sudden show of temper. She normally keep it in check in the office and letting it loose on their feature deal is making his mouth fall.

 

“Do you normally in into someone else’s conversation?” Donghae asked crossing his arms over his chest again.

 

Dara scoffed, really pissed at his show of arrogance. “Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t know it was a conversation.” She looked at Joross questioningly. “Was it a conversation?” Then without waiting for him to answer she turned to Donghae again. “No, it wasn’t. It was you power tripping.” She should’ve asked Lee Hi to go with Joross for this Ocular Shoot instead.

 

It was Donghae’s turn to scoff this time. “Power Tripping? And you got all that because I just asked one question?”

 

“It wasn’t what you asked but how you asked it,” Dara said. “You aren’t even supposed to be here.”

 

“It’s my mall, my money. And you think I wasn’t supposed to be here?” Donghae tilted his head with a an act of confusion on his face. “What you think is insignificant anyway.”

 

“Can’t you—“

 

“Yes, sir, I am a photographer for 10 years now.” Joross took a hold of her arm and moved her slightly behind him as he interrupted whatever she would say. Kim Min Seok just seems to be rooted from where he stands as he watched the exchange of his boss and the assistant editor of Kmag.

 

Donghae narrowed his eyes as he noticed the photographer’s protective gesture. “You do understand that your pictures would say a lot, don’t you? And if there’s one photo that would even insinuate one negativity, I would sue your company.”

 

“Stop being so exaggera—“

 

“Yes sir, I understand,” Joross interrupted Dara again.

 

Donghae just looked at Joross with calculating eyes and Joross forced to make light of the tense atmosphere. “Don’t worry, sir.” He forced out a little chuckle. “I’ve been doing this since I graduated college and I can assure you nothing would bring a negative impact on your mall. If… if you’re not really comfortable with me sir, maybe another one would do? My wife is a free-lance photographer but you can see her works and testimonials online. I could call her and—“

 

“You have a wife?” Donghae interjected looking him up and down. “You’re married?”

 

“Yes sir. Four years now.”

 

Donghae just watched Joross’ face boring a proud grin and he let out a little chuckle after a moment. “You should’ve said that in the beginning.” He stood up with a genuine smile on his face as he extended his hand to him. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Joross.”

 

Joross shook Donghae’s hand with a big smile not even the least bit perturbed on his sudden mood turn-about while Dara just scowled at Donghae.

 

“Well,” Donghae said. “I don’t think we really need a free-lance photographer. I trust KMAg’s judgment in hiring you for their projects and you really look the type to take your job seriously.”

 

“Thank you, sir. Yes, I do.”

 

Joross seems to be really flattered from the idiot’s commendation. Dara fought the urge to roll her eyes in complete agitation. What a moron.

 

“So Min Seok, do you mind if you show Mr. Joross around?” Donghae asked the General Manager.

 

“Of course, sir.” Min Seok led the way for them.

 

Dara took a step to follow but Donghae called out to Joross making all of them stop. “You don’t really need Ms. Dara while you take pictures, do you?”

 

“Not really sir,” Joross answered cheerfuly before Dara could even give him a sign to say that she needs to be where he is.

 

“Actually, I do,” Dara said piercing Joross with a glare but Joross just looked at her questioningly. “I need to take notes for the article, right?”

 

“Isn’t the pictures gonna speak for itself?” Donghae asked innocently. “Don’t you trust Mr. Joross’ photography?”

 

“Don’t worry, Dara,” Joross said smiling widely, completely oblivious to her deathly glares and probably thinking this is how she normally looks at someone everyday. “I gotcha.”

 

“Joross,” Dara started threateningly. “I’m here for a reason. If there wasn’t, I wouldn’t even be here.”

 

“Let’s hear that reason,” Donghae said nonchalantly.

 

Dara felt like blowing up right there and then. Donghae is really doing everything to ruin this feature for her! And he wanted to smack Joross by being really dense! Doesn’t he even have any idea writing comes with experience? Of course she have to be where the pictures are taken to fully write about it in detail! God! She’s sorrounded by idiots!

 

“How about that’s none of your in’ business?” Dara said facing Donghae.

 

She heard Joross gasp as well as the general manager and they seem to be taken aback by her crude language with who they consider a powerful man. Donghae looked down at her with a small smirk on his face. “Alright. Go on ahead.” He gestured for her to get with Joross and Min Seok and Dara pierced him one last glaring look before striding over to them.

 

“I just thought you would want the interview but….” Donghae let his voice trail off sounding as if it’s a chance that will be lost.

 

God, give me the patience of a saint! Dara begged as she stopped walking. Joross just looked at her with his forehead creased in question. Dara sighed heavily as her nostrils flared. “I’ll just follow you later.” Joross nodded slowly before Dara turned to Donghae. She wanted to do something to wipe that stupid smirk off his face like he won or something. He just shook his head slightly before turning around and walking off and Dara just followed him with heavy, irritated steps.

 

“Can we get this over with?” Dara said as she fell into step behind Donghae.

 

“I want some coffee,” Donghae said without turning his head at her.

 

Oh god, the audacity of this guy!! “You want me to buy you coffee for this interview??”

 

Donghae pressed the elevator down. “No, I said, I want some coffee. I didn’t say you buy me coffee.” He stepped inside and Dara scrambled to follow when it looked like Donghae is not holding the elevator for her. Silence filled the elevator while Dara seethed imagining all bodily harm she can do to Donghae. If not for this article, if not for this stupid feature, then she would be free to strangle him without risking her career!

 

He stepped out with Dara following close behind while she murders him in her mind. The workers greeted him and he greeted back making Dara wanted to kick him just for the hell of it. Why is God punishing her? What’d she ever do?! Out of all the feature they could do, it would really have to be this Aquarium Mall! What a stupid name of a mall by the way.

 

They stepped out and Dara winced of the sun’s rays. “Where in the hell are you going to get your coffee? Can’t you just drink from the vending machine?”

 

Donghae didn’t answer and just kept on walking and Dara knew where he’s going. The nearest coffee shop from his mall is the Starbucks which they have passed by on their way here.

 

“What do you want?” Donghae asked out of nowhere when they stepped inside the shop.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter