Five

Apple Initials and Thumbprint Soulmates

It was, according to Vernon's phone, five minutes until the end of lunch. Seungkwan had disappeared not long after Vernon had revealed his soulmate's initials. Somehow, Mingyu had gotten them talking about the price of chicken eggs in China, as well how much they and other foodstuffs would cost in other countries. And Seungkwan still hadn't returned.

 

"You guy's really sure he's ok? He's still got half my apple and some of his share of ice cream to eat," Vernon asked, worried. He'd wanted to try find his best friend after he'd noticed Seungkwan had disappeared, but Mingyu had told him not to - that the other boy'd be fine.

 

"Sometimes when he's went off without telling us I've heard some girls in my class afterwards talking about some boy crying in the girls toilets," Dokyeom spoke up, sounding a little worried. "I figured it must've been him because all the girls like Seungkwan, what other boy would they let in their toilets?"

 

 "We all know he likes attention. He was probably crying over something stupid and let the girls comfort him - he gets attention without feeling too vulnerable, and the girls get to feel like good people for comforting the school crybaby and flaming homoual. Everyone wins," Mingyu said plainly with a shrug.

 

"The bell rang, signalling the end of lunch. The group got up and joined the throng of students straggling back to class. Vernon let out a puff of air, Mingyu had sounded too casual about Seungkwan. Why wasn't he concerned about their friend? Vernon sat down in his seat. He overheard some girls talking about one of their toilet cubicles being occupied all lunch, and crying coming from within. See, Mingyu, not just for attention, Vernon thought bitterly. Classes dragged by and he found himself unable to concentrate. How long had Seungkwan been crying in the girls bathrooms, and how had he not noticed?

 

 He was so busy with his thoughts, he only vaguely noticed Chan's attempts to converse.

 

When school finished, Vernon shoved his stuff in his bag, not even putting his pens in his pencil case, and quickly made his way to Seungkwan's class. He hoped to catch the other boy before he left for home.

 

He waited until the classroom was empty before letting out a resigned sigh. He meandered through the school halls, debating whether or not to try looking in the girls toilets for Seungkwan until he got caught. Not exactly a call I want mum and dad to get from the school.

 

Eventually, Vernon found his way to the school entrance. He'd even resisted the urge to search inside the girls toilets that he passed. The fancy clock on the wall behind the admin desk told him he'd been wandering around the halls for twenty minutes. He sent a text to his mum telling her he was going to the cafe.

 

 

 

Fortunately, Junghan had the shift, along with Jihoon. Unfortunately, the after school rush brought plenty of students to the cafe so Junghan was too busy to chat. Vernon spotted Mingyu and Dokyeom at their usual table and headed over.

 

"Seungkwan here?" He asked as he sat down. The other two shook their heads.

 

"He went home early. I got kicked outta home for the afternoon because Seungkwan didn't want to see anybody and my mum was worried I'd make him more upset." Mingyu and Dokyeom continued their conversation, seemingly unbothered by what Mingyu'd just announced.

 

The news only made Vernon more worried. What had made Seungkwan so upset he'd gone home? Vernon tried thinking back to lunch. The only thing he could think of was the ice cream. What if the other boy felt bad after breaking his diet? It would be all Vernon's fault, he had to go and apologise.

 

Vernon texted his mum asking if she could come pick him up and drop him off at Mingyu and Seungkwan's. After a few minutes, she sent back an "of course, sweetie". An eternity of nobody caring about Seungkwan and lame attempts at passing time later, his phone buzzed. Vernon sat bolt upright and checked it, he had a message from his mum saying she was outside the cafe. He said a rushed goodbye to Mingyu and Dokyeom, motioned to Junghan he was leaving, and was swiftly in the front passenger seat of the car with his seatbelt buckled.

 

"Am I dropping off Mingyu and Seungkwan, too?" Vernon's mum asked.

 

"No, mum. Seungkwan went home early and I wanted to see how he's doing," Vernon replied.

 

Vernon's mum glanced at him before turning a corner. "It's nice you care so much about him, sweetie. Is there anything we could do to help him get better?"

 

Vernon didn't even have to pause to think. "Could we get him some low fat ice cream? He wanted some today but I took too long talking to a kid in my class and they had none left when we got to the cafeteria." Vernon's mum nodded, and pulled in at the next convenience store. She handed Vernon a couple notes.

 

"Get him whatever, I'll take it out of your next allowance."

 

"Thanks, mum."

 

The convenience store was fuller than Vernon expected. He made a beeline straight to where the ice cream was. He had no idea which flavour Seungkwan liked best, so he just grabbed a couple different ones, making sure to avoid anything with peanuts in case Seungkwan wanted him to try it.

 

It wasn't too long before Vernon was back in the car, a bag in each hand. His mum gave him an amused glance.

 

"There were so many foods that we both like but he doesn't eat anymore because of the fat and sugar content. But, there was a couple shelves with that sort of stuff but low fat and sugar! If it'll cheer him up, right?"

 

Vernon's mum made an amused snort as she pulled away onto the road. "You two are so cute."

 

Vernon felt his heart skip a beat and his cheeks flush. They did have the best friendship out of the group, Dokyeom and Junghan might be halfway there.

 

"Anyway, when's he next sleeping over? Just him, without the other boys? It's been a couple months." His mum was trying too hard to sound casual for Vernon's liking. "Mingyu eats too much and Dokyeom keeps your sister up with his laughing," she tacked on at the end. Vernon inwardly cringed. She was definitely trying too hard; Seungkwan laughed louder most of the time.

 

Vernon wasn't sure how to answer. Why was she asking all of a sudden? He swallowed, "Seungkwan... he thought - I told him - well..." He took a breath and paused to formulate his sentence.

 

"Do you remember last time he stayed over?" Vernon began cautiously. His mother nodded and hummed a yes. "And he told you was gay while we were all eating french toast for breakfast?" Vernon hurried through the sentence. He hoped the unnecessary inclusion of what they were doing at the time would get his mother to focus on that instead of the gay part. His parents still hadn't told him if they were comfortable having Seungkwan stay over, so all sleepovers now consisted of at least Dokyeom or Mingyu spending the night, too. Vernon's room wasn't big enough for anybody more than him and one friend, which meant they all had to sleep in the loungeroom.

 

His mum chuckled. "Is that it? Your father and I are fine with you and Seungkwan being in your room alone. We trust you, and your sister's in the room next door."

 

Vernon thought that was an odd thing to say, but couldn't broach the subject because they'd just pulled up to Mingyu and Seungkwan's house. Vernon kissed his mother on the cheek goodbye and hopped out of the car. He picked up both plastic bags filled with treats and made his way to the front door.

 

He paused, only just remembering Mingyu had said Seungkwan didn't want to see anybody. I'm his best friend, I'm different, Vernon told himself. He pressed the doorbell, apprehensive. It was answered by Mingyu's mother.

 

"Hello, Vernon! What a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately Mingyu isn't home - I think he said something about the cafe? I'll be sure to get him to message you when he gets back." Mingyu's mother always acted too sugary for Vernon's taste when he was over, but both Mingyu and Seungkwan had been quick to tell him it was only because he was a guest.

 

Vernon coughed. "Actually, I was hoping to see Seungkwan. Mingyu told me he left school early and I wanted to check in on him, make sure he's ok." Vernon lifted up on of the bags. "I bought low fat snacks."

 

Mingyu's mum seemed to shuffle nervously. "Seungkwan? He told me he wasn't up to seeing anyone this afternoon. I'm sure you'll see him tomorrow at school."

 

"Could you tell him it's me, please? With low fat snacks? He didn't even text anyone to tell us he was going home," Vernon pleaded. If it took for him to get down on his knees and beg, he would.

 

"Let Vernon in, I want comfort food." Vernon heard Seungkwan call from one of the front rooms. Mingyu's mum stepped back into the house and walked around to Seungkwan. Vernon could hear them arguing in hushed voices as he waved goodbye to his mum. She always waited to see if anyone was home and if he was going in or not.

 

Once inside, Vernon closed the door and took off his shoes. He heard quiet sniffles coming from the loungeroom and followed the noises. Seungkwan was on the couch swaddled in blankets. He sat down on the couch, being careful not to sit on Seungkwan's feet or legs, and placed both bags on what he supposed was Seungkwan's lap.

 

Seungkwan's face was red, blotchy,and swollen, his eyes puffy, nose snot encrusted, and eyeballs and cheeks glistening from tears. There was a plastic bag filled with snotty tissues next to the couch.

 

Vernon cleared his throat. "There's ice cream in there, you might want to stick them in the freezer before you eat them."

 

Mingyu's mum took the ice creams Seungkwan dug out of the bottom of one bag, and left the room.

 

"Thank you," Seungkwan said, voice quivering, and motioned to the snacks.

 

"No problem, Kwannie, anything to make you feel better," Vernon shrugged.

 

A strange silence took over the room. Seungkwan grabbed a tissue and blew his nose, then deposited the dirty tissue in the bag by the couch.

 

"You wanna talk about it? Whatever made you upset?" Vernon ventured.

 

Seungkwan shook his head. "Not really." He started going through the food.

 

"Was it the ice cream?"

 

Again, Seungkwan shook his head. "No."

 

Vernon sighed. He couldn't prod any further, if Seungkwan didn't want to talk he didn't have to.

 

Seungkwan picked up a packet of chips. "Look, I kinda just want some me time, 'kay. I'd appreciate it if you left. I'll see you at school tomorrow."

 

Vernon was shocked. Something must be seriously wrong if Seungkwan would just turn him away like that. Normally, him and snacks would cheer Seungkwan right up.

 

Vernon stood up. "Um, yeah. See you tomorrow. Fell better, Kwannie." Seungkwan nodded and gave him a little wave.

 

Once he was outside, Vernon had no idea what to do. He just wanted to spend the afternoon with Seungkwan and cheer him up, but Seungkwan didn't want that. He sighed, and texted his mum. Hopefully she wouldn't have gotten too far.

 

She turned up quickly. "Was he contagious?" She asked corncernedly as he climbed into the car.

 

Vernon shook his head slightly. "He's not sick, just upset. He didn't want to tell me what about, though."

 

Vernon's mum eyebrows knit together. "What were you all talking about?"

 

"Damn soulmates," Vernon grumbled.

 

"Again? If a topic causes this many issues, why do you always talk about it?"

 

Vernon shrugged. "Dunno."

 

"Hansol, I'm trying to help, don't you use that tone of voice with me."

 

Vernon wasn't even aware he'd used a certain tone. And his mother had called him Hansol. Ever since his friends had started calling him by his middle name, Vernon, his mum had only ever called him "Sweetie" unless he was trouble.

 

"Sorry mum. I guess I have just as a clue as you."

 

"Sweetie, it's quite an obvious answer. You all just really want to meet your soulmates, you're excited about it. You and Seungkwan have only had your thumbprints for less than two years."

 

Vernon nodded. "That's probably it."

 

They pulled into their driveway, and Vernon saw a couple of suitcases and some furniture on their front verandah. "Mum? Care to explain?"

 

She looked around confused as she cut the engine. "Ah!" She exclaimed when she saw what her son was looking at. "I swear your father told everyone - you were at the cafe when we announced it. Nevermind. Well, one of mine and your father's friends in America has a son a few years older than you. He's decided to come study in Korea for a year or so while he's in uni. Since we have enough space, we offered to let him stay here as long as he likes. He'll be in your father's old office."

 

"Does he speak Korean? Or just English?" Vernon hoped he wouldn't have to try teach some kid older than him how to speak Korean.

 

"He speaks Korean, apparently. His mother told us they speak it at home."

 

Vernon nodded. Not the worst case scenario, but some warning would have been nice.