Twenty One

Apple Initials and Thumbprint Soulmates

It was the day of the university entrance exams. Hopefully, today was the day Vernon would get to talk to Seungkwan. Finally.

He'd been waiting weeks. Long, agonising, confusing weeks.

"Are you sure you can handle this on your own?" his mum asked as she slipped on some shoes at the front door. Seungkwan was supposed to be at Vernon's house at six, and Vernon had asked for them to have the house to themselves so they could be completely honest.

Vernon's dad and sister were already in the car, waiting for his mother. They were going out for dinner and a movie. Joshua was with Junghan at a club in Hongdae to watch Seungcheol rap, and he'd probably spend the night with them. Vernon thought he had at least two and a half hours.

"Yes, mum, I'll be fine. We need to be able to be honest, and I don't want anyone but him to know certain stuff."

"OK, sweetie. If you guys need longer, call." She stood straight, shoes on both feet. The car horn honked. "Guess I'd better hurry up - remember, this early on, no is probably better than angry ."

"Mum!" Vernon felt mortified his mother had even said that.

"Oh, sweetie, I was just trying to give you some advice. We'll be back later, hope you and Seungkwan can get things sorted." She left the house and closed the door. "I thought there was something going on, and it turns out they're soulmates!" Vernon heard her to muse to herself loudly.

"Bye mum, love you!" Vernon called out. He listened to the car pull away, and let out a sigh when it did.

Five minutes until six, according the clock on the wall. Vernon headed to the bathroom to splash cold water on his face. He went to kitchen and grabbed a chocopie, threw the wrapper in the bin, then moved back to stand in front of the door.

The clock ticked loudly, and Vernon listened to it as he ate, counting the seconds that went past. He reached ninety seven before he heard a knock.

"Vernon? It's me, Seungkwan."

Vernon took a breath to calm his nerves and opened the door.

"You're wearing my hoodie." Vernon slapped himself internally. They hadn't spoken in a while and the first thing Vernon says wasn't "hello" or "how are you?".

Seungkwan looked down. "I guess I am."

"So, uhh, come in." Vernon stood aside to let Seungkwan in, closed the door behind the boy, and led him to the loungeroom.

They sat down, Vernon on his dad's armchair and Seungkwan on the couch.

They sat in awkward silence for a few moments, Seungkwan looking at Vernon expectantly while Vernon bolstered his courage.

"I'm sorry," Vernon finally said. "I didn't mean to hurt you. I mean, I kind of did with the comments about Jihoon but I didn't mean to make you cry or anything. I just wanted you two to not go on dates."

"Why? You suggested I date him after you told me Chan asked you out."

"I just..." He took a few seconds to collect his thoughts. "I've talked with both my mum and Joshua about things recently, and I guess I was jealous? Mum even booked an appointment with a specialist because I had so many questions and things I wasn't sure about."

Seungkwan tried to say something, but Vernon stopped him.

"I heard some of what you had to say a few weeks ago. The specialist, and everyone else, really, said I needed to tell you how feel. I'm trying, but I also need to figure out what I'm feeling. I'm confused Seungkwan."

Seungkwan nodded and motioned for Vernon to continue.

"The specialist told me it isn't uncommon for a pair of soulmates to switch between platonic and romantic relationships, especially when they meet as young as we did. Soulmates are supposed to be whatever their other soulmate deeply desires to feel complete - and most times that's a romantic partner.

"When we were younger, we just needed someone who could understand us, someone we could actually tell anything and everything to without worrying how they'd react or that it'd change how they thought about drastically. Sometime since then one of us switched to wanting to be in love. That was probably you. And the other one - me - has been trying to play catch up so we match again."

Seungkwan waited, Vernon assumed to see if he was done speaking.

"Then why has it taken so long? I started liking you four and a half years ago. Shouldn't you match again by now?"

Vernon nodded. "I do? Apparently that's why I was a jerk, it was jealousy. I like you. Some people just don't realise they like someone until they get it pointed out.

"Regarding how long it took for our souls to match back up, it doesn't start happening until one person feels like they need it. To fall in love and have someone be in love with you back probably wasn't something you felt like you needed until recently, so you'd had time to start liking me and fall in love with me slowly and realise what was going on. It all happened really quickly for me."

"So you like me back?"

"Boo Seungkwan, I definitely at least like you back. I have butterflies, and I like that you're wearing my hoodie I gave you without realising because it means you've probably been wearing it a lot, and I want to start planning the rest of our lives together."

Vernon took a deep breath. He felt so sappy after saying that. Seungkwan looked incredibly pleased.

"I think there's a lot we have to talk about before anything happens between us, though."

Seungkwan's face fell. "Let's talk about Chan," he suggested.

"He wanted to stop what we were doing after I told him you were my soulmate the next day after the cafe. He got asked out by a girl in the year below us the next Monday and decided to go out with her. They became boyfriend and girlfriend, and they're adorable together."

"Huh, OK. So he doesn't hang around you like a vulture anymore?"

"He had a crush, and got over it. He hangs out with his girlfriend and her friends now." Vernon cleared his throat. "What about you and Jihoon?"

Seungkwan shrugged. "There wasn't even anything there. I asked him to fake date me to get you jealous."

"The hickeys?" Vernon didn't want to believe his best friend - his soulmate! - would try play with his emotions like that.

Seungkwan gulped and shifted around. "Jihoon told me you had a wet dream about me? They were his idea, and I agreed because I wanted you to think someone else wanted me, too. I thought it'd get you to make a move quicker."

Seungkwan sounded way too calm about it as he explained it.

"So, at the cafe when you started screaming and crying, you said something about me getting jealous over you. Wasn't that what you wanted? Me to get jealous?"

Seungkwan shook his head. "I was angry I managed to get you jealous but you were still whatever you were with Chan. I was trying to point out that you had no idea what you felt or you didn't care, and trying to hurt you as much as you hurt me."

Vernon stayed silent, letting it soak in.

"Anything else we need to discuss?" Seungkwan asked, sounding genuine.

"Yeah. Chan said you used to glare at him whenever he was around me. Why?"

"To scare him off. I've done it to plenty of people who were interested in you beside him."

"Did you try to control my life any other way?"

Seungkwan paused to think. "I don't think so."

"You don't think so? I can't believe it. Seungkwan, the answer should be either 'no' or a list of things you've done!" Vernon stood up. "I'm going to get a glass of water, I'll be back."

Vernon went to the kitchen and filled a glass with water. He leaned against the kitchen counter and took a couple small sips.

How many things had Seungkwan done that he couldn't answer with a no straight away? He "didn't think so". What kind of an answer was that?

Vernon finished the water and put it on the sink, then went back to the loungeroom.

"Seungkwan, I'll change the question. What sort of things have you done to try control either my emotions or reactions?"

"I phrase things certain ways, I used to do certain things and touch you certain ways so you were always paying at least a little attention to me. I brought up my insecurity about my appearance to get you pay all your attention to me. Little things like that. Surely you've done stuff like that?"

"Seungkwan, you don't need to! You're always on my mind, have been since I met you."

"How did I know that? You never told me.

Anything else we need to talk about?"

"Seungkwan, you don't very affected by the fact you just admitted to manipulating me. You know it's wrong, right?"

"Of course I do, but no one got hurt. I got what I wanted. Why does it matter?"

"Seungkwan, have you ever done stuff to make people feel sorry for you?"

"Yes, Vernon. I have. If it'll help me get what I want, or get someone to see things my way, I'll throw myself a pity party. As long as it doesn't hurt someone else, why is it wrong?"

"Because it has hurt someone. I thought everything that happened had been my fault. If you'd just been honest at any point over the last four and a half years and told me how you feel rather than playing with me like a doll, none of this would've happened.

"I blamed every time I upset you on myself, when really it could've been because I didn't react the way you wanted me to."

"Vernon, I didn't mean for that! I just wanted things to work out my way." Seungkwan's voice was small, but it didn't sound like he got it. It sounded like he was trying to excuse what he'd done.

"You aren't the only one with feelings, Seungkwan. You can't toy with people." Vernon felt like a lump in his throat. "Trying to get people to do or say or feel certain ways isn't right. Ever. When you do that to make people feel sorry for you, or take your side, there's always gotta be a bad guy. Someone in the wrong. I thought that was me, for the last few weeks.

"I was confused and worried and couldn't talk to you, my best friend and my soulmate, because you were probably playing one of your stupid games. What were you doing, studying all hours of the day so you didn't have to talk to me because you wanted everyone to feel sorry for you a little longer?"

Seungkwan was tearing up. "I - No! I wanted to-"

"Shut up. Leave. I don't," Vernon closed his eyes. His heart was pumping so loudly Seungkwan could probably hear it, his blood felt like it was running cold. He had to take a moment to breathe and calm down. He couldn't afford to get nasty, he'd made progress with Seungkwan.

"I don't know if anything I've felt or did or said around you was genuine anymore. You're supposed to be the one person in the whole world I'd trust my everything with. I can't even trust - just, leave. We can talk again tomorrow or the day after. We need to talk more, about all sorts of things. But, I'm just really angry right now."

Seungkwan stood up. "Sure, I'll message you tomorrow after school and we can arrange a time." He started towards the door.

"Seungkwan, you aren't walking home. Get Mrs Kim to pick you up."

"You told me to leave."

"I'll go to my room. You stay in here while you wait. I just don't want to say anything that'll ruin the progress we made tonight."

"Can... I understand if the answer's no, but can I kiss you? Just on the cheek."

"Like a goodnight kiss?" Vernon liked the idea, more than he should have after finding out what he had about Seungkwan.

Seungkwan nodded.

"Just this once, until we sort everything between us out."

Seungkwan smiled. "Thank you, Vernon." He went back to Vernon and pressed his lips against Vernon's cheek. His cheek tingled upon contact, and even after Seungkwan pulled away it still felt like Seungkwan was touching him.

"Goodnight Seungkwan."

Vernon went to his room and sat on the floor, his back against his door. Things definitely hadn't gone as well as he hoped. He'd wanted to have everything sorted out nice and neatly by the time Seungkwan left, ready for Vernon to bring out all the brochures about soulmates the specialist had given him to read next time Seungkwan was over.

He wanted to be able to say he trusted his soulmate completely, with everything. But he couldn't. He felt like he couldn't even trust Seungkwan not to manipulate him.

There was a knock at his door some minutes later. "Vernon, Mrs Kim's here to pick me up. I wanted to let you know I was leaving."

Vernon sighed. "Good night, Seungkwan. See you tomorrow or something."

"Bye, Vernon."

Vernon listened for the car to pull out of the driveway. Once it had, Vernon got up. He went over to his desk and grabbed his phone, then called Minghao.

"Hey, are you at Jun's tonight?" He asked once the other boy answered his phone.

"Yeah, I'm at Jun's most nights. Why?"

"I just need somewhere to escape to for the night. Can I stay there?"

There was some Mandarin, Vernon figured Minghao was discussing it with Jun.

"He says it's cool. Do you need a lift?"

"If it isn't too much hassle that'll be great. I'll text you my address."

"Be there soon, and Jun says make sure you've packed your uniform."

The line cut off.

Vernon went to his drawers and got a pair of pyjamas then shoved them, his school uniform, and some underwear into his school bag.

He ripped a piece of paper out one of his exercise books and wrote a note saying he was spending the night out, he was safe, had his phone, and would be at school the next day. It also told his parents not to worry - he wasn't doing anything stupid.

Vernon read it to make sure it didn't seem like a runaway note or something. He was satisfied with it, so he grabbed his phone and charger, shoved them in pocket, grabbed his bag and went to the kitchen. He grabbed a spare key and put that in his pocket, too. He put the note on the kitchen bench, and went and sat in front of the front door.

It wasn't long before there was a knock. Vernon opened the door to Minghao and Jun.

"Ready?" Minghao asked.

Vernon nodded. "Yeah, I got everything." He shouldered his bag and turned the lights off before exiting his house and locking the door.

He followed Minghao and Jun to Jun's car, hoping he wouldn't get into too much trouble when he returned him the following afternoon.

 

 

=============

A/N:

So, it seems Vernon's done some wisening up since the cafe incident, doesn't it?

 

Also, this story is so fast paced. It doesn't seem that way when I write, because typing is slow, but I read the story again and just. Everything happens so fast, and there aren't really breaks from something happening? How do people write stories that are well-paced. Please, share with me your secrets.