Nineteen

Apple Initials and Thumbprint Soulmates

After school that day, Vernon didn't stop to wait to walk with anybody.

It was a grim day. It was the day his life would fall apart.

Vernon kicked a rock as he walked. He wasn't ready to be told who his soulmate was, even if he knew it was Seungkwan now. He thought it would change things. He didn't want to do anything with Seungkwan than be his friend. (Sure, his body sometimes said otherwise, but that was purely physical. He didn't want to be /romantic/ with Seungkwan.) He'd never gotten vibes from Seungkwan that told him his best friend wanted anything else, either.

Maybe Vernon should find more out about soulmates. Were they /always/ romantic, or could they be platonic, too. Surely they could be platonic, what about aromantics? Why hadn't he been taught this in middle school when they'd covered soulmates and ed?

Vernon pulled his jacket tighter around him and adjusted his bag.He pulled out his phone - four hours until the cafe closed.

Four hours until the start of the end of his life.

(Four hours until the start of the rest of his life, a small voice told him. He pushed that one away.)

A car horn honked, drawing him out of thoughts.

"Vernon!'

Vernon spun around to see a car sat in idle about five metres behind him. It was mostly blue, but the bonnet was white, and the car had a few small dents. Junghan was hanging out of one of the rear passenger windows.

"Vernon!" he called again. Vernon walked towards the car.

"Yeah, Junghan?"

"Do you want a lift?" The long haired mam offered.

"Is it your place to offer?" Vernon asked, scuffing a shoe along the ground.

The front passenger window rolled down. "It's fine, Junghan pointed you out walking alone and Seungcheol offered to drop you off at home, since he's dropping me off anyway," Joshua explained.

"Look kid, if you wanna ride, I'm offering," a new voice drifted through the open window.

Vernon shrugged and went around to the other side of the car and got in. The inside smelled of cigarettes and there was a couple of small circular burn mark on the seats.

"Hate to break it to you, Joshua, but your second soulmate's a smoker."

"I know," the ginger grumbled, sliding down his seat.

The guy in the driver's seat chuckled as he pulled away from the curb. "We've already discussed it and I'm quitting. It was a bad habit I picked up a few years ago hanging out in clubs to listen to rappers."

"I think it's hot," Junghan protested, crossing his arms.

"It's gross," Joshua responded, tone clipped.

The guy in the driver's seat chuckled again. "Joshua wins because he won't kiss me when I taste like smoke. Anyway, there's a kid in my car I haven't met before."

Joshua sat back up properly. "Right, sorry. Vernon, this is Seungcheol, mine and Junghan's other soulmate. Seungcheol, this is Vernon - I'm living with his family until I'm comfortable with Korea."

Seungcheol nodded. "Hello Vernon."

"Hi, Seungcheol," Vernon managed to say. Seungcheol seemed intimidating. He was wearing a leather jacket, smoked, owned a dented up car, and from the little Vernon could see in the rearview mirror, had a mean look to him. Vernon decided he should stay quiet. Apparently, everyone else had the same idea, too.

And Seungcheol didn't even have a car stereo to break up the silence, judging from the gaping hole where it should be.

"I hear you're having soulmate troubles, Vernon?" Seungcheol asked out of no where a few minutes into the silence.

"Um, yeah. I kind of am."

"That's right, we haven't had a chance to talk after you told me who you thought your soulmate is," Joshua interrupted before Seungcheol could probe any further. "Have you told anyone else?"

"Uh, no? I'm not even meant to know."

"You know how you can stop pretty much any fight?" Junghan asked.

"How?" Vernon was pretty sure he knew the answer, though. It probably had something to do with-

"," Junghan answered, as if it were the most obvious answer. Bingo, Vernon had been right.

"Is that all you think about?" Joshua asked.

Junghan shrugged. "No, it's just the main thing I talk about when you're around; I hoped it'd get you out of your jeans, but it's just habit now."

"Forget whatever our angel says, Vernon. The only way to solve an issue is to communicate," Seungcheol advised. "Just talk to your soulmate and sort through your issues."

"I will, but.. It's complicated, right now. He wants some time to himself, so I'm going to give it to him."

The remainder of the ride was mostly the three soulmates chatting, with Vernon saying something whenever he was prompted.

When he got home, Vernon opened up his school bag and got out his homework. He might as well direct all his worrying to something he could change - his grades. He moved over to his desk and started on it.

 

 

"Vernon, wake up. Half an hour 'til we have to leave." Vernon felt himself being shaken awake lightly. He must've fallen asleep - maths was just such a bore. He sat up and rubbed his eyes.

"Thanks for waking me up, Josh. I have to shower and get dressed."

Twenty minutes later Vernon was combing through his slightly too long hair - he'd need to get that trimmed, soon - as he put on his pants. Junghan had arrived and was telling Vernon to hurry up through his bedroom door.

Vernon's mum dropped them off at the cafe.

Minghao and Jun were inside, kissing lazily. Jun pulled away after Joshua cleared his throat. Vernon heard Minghao whine and had to try not to chuckle. Jun said something to Minghao in Mandarin before turning to Vernon, Joshua, and Junghan.

"You guys are the first to arrive, so come sit down. We've got leftover muffins that didn't sell today - did anyone want one?" Jun asked as he went to the muffin display and grabbed one out for himself. Junghan and Joshua answered they did, while Vernon didn't. Jun got out a muffin for both men. Vernon went over to sit with Minghao.

"Excited?" Minghao asked.

"Not really, Seungkwan and I aren't talking right now." Vernon played with a napkin that was at the table as he answered.

"Really? I hadn't noticed," Minghao replied sarcastically. "Hopefully tonight'll make things better?" he offered. Vernon shrugged, he didn't have much faith in anything working for him.

The cafe door opened again, and Vernon heard Soonyoung tell the punchline of what must've been a hilarious joke because Seokmin's guffaws soon filled the room. The two jokesters sat by Minghao.

Minghao immediately asked about the choreography they must've been learning, and Soinyoung answered him.

The cafe door soon opened again, the door hinges squealing in protest, and Vernon heard Mingyu's voice. "Yes, he's inside, Seungkwan. You can sit with me and Wonwoo."

"Wonwoo and I," Wonwoo corrected.

"If he cared he would've said it correctly."

Seungkwan. Vernon felt himself stiffen. How could he deal with that? How was he going to survive knowing Seungkwan was going to find out that they were soulmates?

There was a clap, and Jun was at the front of the cafe. "So, as some people," he sent a pointed glare to Minghao, "already know, I found two sets of soulmates!" Jun paused. "No clapping? Tough crowd. Anyway, I'm tired, aroused, swamped with homework, and just want to make out with my boyfriend - so I'm just going to announce it without the theatrics it deserves.

"Soonyoung, Dokyeom, you probably already figured this out due the, urm, /private/ location of Dokyeom's mark, but you two are a match. Congratulations."

Soonyoung and Dokyeom high fived and cheered loudly.

"And, really it's a surprise these two haven't gotten checked by a professional by now, but the other pair of soulmates is -"

This was it. The end of Vernon's life. He turned his gaze to Seungkwan, who was still standing by the door, to be able to better gauge the other's reaction.

"-Vernon and Seungkwan. Big surprise there. Now, if you could leave, that'd be appreciated. I have to close up."

Seungkwan didn't even blink, he just raised his hand.

"Yes, Seungkwan?"

"Is it possible you've made a mistake?"

"I got full marks for that unit, no it's possible. Everything got checked by the machine too, same model most specialists use, calibrated the same way. If any of the soulmates have any queries you can stay behind and ask."

Vernon stayed seated. So did Soonyoung and Dokyeom. Seungkwan, however, tried to escape. Mingyu followed him outside, clearly exasperated. Vernon could see Mingyu and Seungkwan arguing through the glass window, and after about half a minute Mingyu was dragging Seungkwan back inside.

Mingyu said something to Seungkwan, who nodded and begrudgingly made his way to sit by Vernon. Mingyu went and sat at the wall under the cafe's front window.

"I'm still not ready to talk to you."

"That's OK, I'll wait."

Seungkwan started fidgeting. "Actually, I kind of do. I just - I don't know if I want to hear what you've got to say past your apology." Seungkwan said it so quietly that Vernon almost missed that he'd said it. "And what about Chan?"

Vernon was going to reply, but Soonyoung and Dokyeom were talking rather loudly with Jun.

"But, we don't feel anything romantic for each other - we kissed Sunday after the meeting and nothing," Soonyoung told Jun.

"Like, I barely even got aroused," Dokyeom piped up.

"And-"

"Actually," Jun in, "not all soulmates are romantic in nature."

Dokyeom and Soonyoung looked at each other, identical grins plastered across both faces. Vernon had no way of telling what the two were thinking, but he was sure they were communicating through their eyes or something.

"See Seungkwan," he nudged the boy on his left, "I'm your soulmate and can still date Chan."

Seungkwan turned to him, face full of rage.

"No, Vernon. I'm sick of playing along and being fine with it! I've been in love with you for years. I thought you were strictly straight, so I didn't do anything about it, but then I found out you aren't. I still didn't say anything and told you to give him a chance because I'd promised myself I wouldn't let myself get hurt by you anymore. And you got with him! So Mingyu convinced me to fight for you by trying to get you jealous, so I did. And you've been kissing Chan and not me, and I'm sick of it!" Seungkwan was screaming and had tears forming in his eyes and Vernon didn't know what he felt.

The atmosphere had suddenly changed, and he could tell Mingyu was glaring at hom from across the room.

Vernon ran through the list of emotions he was feeling. There was definitely disappointment in himself for not realising how Seungkwan felt, anger for the same reason. There was a little confusion. A little inappropriate arousal because /damn/ Seungkwan was hot when he was angry. Some guilt, too.

"I can't hang around you while you're dating someone else 'cause it'll hurt too bad now you /know/ we're soulmates. I'm going home to cry and hate myself for being so /damn naive/ that I hoped you'd love me back somehow, especially after I found out we were soulmates a few days ago." Seungkwan stood up.

"Or maybe I'll find someone who'll kiss me and hug me and pretend to care about me while he s me into oblivion. Or get drunk, or high; the possibilities are limitless," Seungkwan finished sardonically, throwing his hands in the air.

He instantly thought of Jihoon, and something within him flared. He needed to make sure Seungkwan didn't go to him - Vernon had little doubt Jihoon wouldn't mind screwing someone else's soulmate. But first.

"I'm sorry, Kwa-"

"Don't. Just - save it. Your little crocodile tears won't work, I know you're heartless." Vernon hadn't even noticed the little drops on the end of his nose. He went to protest, only to be interrupted again. "You are! Hansol, you are. You go around with a guy who obviously likes you, not calling him your boyfriend or acting like he's anything significant, while you get all jealous over your best friend. You're stringing Chan along because you like the feeling of having someone. But, whatever." Seungkwan took a shaky breath and ran his hand through his hair.

"I'll be there for you when things inevitably turn sour with Chan, ok? I'll comfort you like a good best friend, but... I'll disappear when you get with someone else." Seungkwan started shaking his head, tears finally spilling over and streaming down his cheeks. "I can't deal with that, Vernon. I can't."

Mingyu went to Seungkwan and wrapped his arms around the tear stricken boy. He shot Vernon a look and steered Seungkwan away, back into the direction of their home.

A part of Vernon felt relieved, Mingyu would keep Seungkwan safe, away from Jihoon and anyone else who might hurt him - including him.

Well, Vernon felt like trash. Less than trash, he felt like that strange slime in the bottom of the binbag when milk bottles and cartons of juice weren't emptied properly before being thrown into it.

And it was his own fault.

 

 

==========

A/N:

Crying. Yup, poor Seungkwan. Things'll obviously get better for Verkwan, it just might take time.