Twenty Seven

Apple Initials and Thumbprint Soulmates

Monday morning Vernon had to resist the urge to go to the cafe early. Seungkwan would be there with Jihoon. Alone. Sure, Seungkwan had said there was nothing between the two and Jihoon was straight, but Vernon still didn't like it.

Vernon realised he might've been a little possessive, but Seungkwan was his, and he was Seungkwan's. And Jihoon, somebody not him, had given Seungkwan hickeys. He realised he was probably bring irrational, and it was something he had to talk to Seungkwan about, or get over on his own.

Vernon sighed. He was sat on the kitchen bench, half listening as Sofia rambled on about whatever was happening at school that day. (A fundraiser? Show and tell? It involved her classroom teacher wearing a trench coat, so he really wasn't sure.)

"If you keep sighing like that your mouth'll fall off," his little sister said matter of factly through a mouthful of cereal.

Vernon turned to her. "Oh really? I think you're full of it."

She nodded. "Really, it will. So don't blame me when you can't kiss Seungkwan anymore - I warned you." She lifted the bowl to her lips and slurped the leftover milk.

"OK, ok, I get it. I'll stop sighing," Vernon said playfully.

Sofia got up and rinsed out her bowl in the sink. "What are you sighing about anyway?"

"Seungkwan. He's alone with another boy."

Vernon's sister sighed, sounding exasperated. "Are you're worried he's going to steal Seungkwan away from you? Seungkwan's liked you for ages, it's not going to happen, bro. And he's your soulmate. You two were kind of made for each other." She placed the bowl in the sink and left the kitchen, leaving a speechless Vernon in her wake.

His little sister had just spoken to him like he was a toddler or something. He had to take a moment to wrap his head around it. Vernon had to admit she had a point - he and Seungkwan kind of were made for each other. Who else could have the same bond with Seungkwan as he did?

Nobody.

Vernon hopped off the kitchen bench, feeling a little more assured of his relationship with Seungkwan, and went to Joshua's room. He hadn't seen the older boy all morning, which was strange because he was usually up before Vernon was.

Vernon knocked softly on Joshua's bedroom door. He didn't hear an answer, so he turned the doorknob and pushed. The light was off, the bed was empty and made, and Joshua's bag was gone. Huh, maybe he'd left super early.

Vernon wandered to the loungeroom, where he could hear his mum and dad talking. The morning cartoons were on, Sofia watching them as she brushed her hair.

"Mum, what time did Josh leave this morning?"

His mum glanced over to him before answering. "He didn't, he messaged me last night to let me know he was staying overnight at one of his soulmate's place. Why?"

"It's almost time for me to leave for the cafe." Vernon shrugged. "He normally walks with me."

"Oh, leaving already? See ya, champ."

"Dad, I said almost. I'm not leaving yet." Vernon plopped down on the floor.

"Sweetie, whatever's bothering you definitely has something to do Seungkwan. Talk to him - remember to communicate." Vernon was surprised his mother could tell something was bothering him. How could mums read their kids so easily?

"Mum, I'm just being dramatic and unreasonable about something, Seungkwan's assured me I don't have to worry about it," Vernon dismissed her worrying.

"Are you sure you don't want talk about it?" Vernon's dad asked, his tone casual. "Maybe you'll feel better if you just talk about it."

Vernon pulled his phone out of his pocket and checked the time - it was still a little early to leave, but he could walk slower than normal. "Oh gee, that time already? Gotta blast," he said as he stood up, fully aware he sounded like a bad Disney actor.

He kissed his family goodbye and rushed to the front door, almost falling when he tried to turn out of the living room towards the front door too quickly. He managed to get his shoes on and out the house before his parents could call him out for trying to escape their questioning.

The walk was long and boring, so he decided to send Seungkwan a good morning message. Seungkwan replied with a pouty selfie of him holding a spray and wipe bottle and some paper towel. Vernon couldn't help but laugh - Seungkwan was everything he'd never realised he needed. How hadn't he realised his feelings for Seungkwan earlier? Why had it taken Seungkwan to confess to him to even entertain the idea that the feelings he harboured for the other boy weren't platonic?

Vernon shook the questions out of his mind as he reached the cafe. He'd realised, and they were together. He was just thankful it hadn't taken longer to happen.

Vernon chuckled as he entered the cafe. It looked like Jihoon and Seungkwan were arguing over sweeping the floor. Jihoon was holding a broom out to Seungkwan, who was sitting on the counter next to the cash register.

"Seungkwan, sweep. It isn't hard and you just need to sweep the area around the bench the cash register's on." Jihoon trusted the broom toward Seungkwan.

Seungkwan recoiled away from it, as if sweeping was lethal. "But it hurts my back! And I'm learning a new dance soon."

"Jihoon, how much does Seungkwan owe you for the hot chocolate yesterday? I'll pay for him," Vernon offered when he got closer and didn't feel like he'd be shouting across the cafe.

Jihoon rolled his eyes. "You soulmates are really too much, all your lovey dovey helping each other out. He still owes me half the marshmallows." Jihoon put the broom on the floor and pretended to lean against it.

Seungkwan motioned for Vernon to move closer to him. Vernon took a couple steps, and Seungkwan pulled him the rest of the way. Seungkwan parted his legs and pulled Vernon backwards, so his backside bumped the space between Seungkwan's knees. It was a familiar position, one Vernon found he'd missed.

"Where's your wallet?" Seungkwan asked, already ping Vernon's bag. Jihoon raised an eyebrow and pursed his lips. Seungkwan took out the waller before Vernon could answer, opened it, and passed Jihoon the correct change.

While Vernon felt Seungkwan put his wallet back into his bag, Jihoon slipped the coins into his pocket. "Thanks, Vernon. How nice of you - paying your boyfriend's debt."

Vernon shrugged. "It wasn't much, I don't really mind."

Seungkwan tugged at Vernon's bag straps. "I want this off so I can cuddle you."

Vernon took his bag off and placed it next to his feet. Seungkwan giggled, and wrapped his arms around Vernon's middle, bringing them closer together. Vernon leant into his boyfriend, ignoring Jihoon's judgemental gaze.

Vernon hummed when Seungkwan's lips made their way to his jawline, pressing light, closed mouthed kisses along it.

"Why'd you stop hugging me like this?" Vernon asked, voice lazy, when Seungkwan started rubbing his nose into his earlobe. He heard Jihoon scoff, but payed him no mind.

"It was a way I used to get your attention on me when you were thinking about something else."

Vernon nodded. "What else did you use to do?"

Seungkwan chuckled, low and mischievous, and Vernon felt himself shiver. Ok, he thought, that is one of my favourite noises Seungkwan's ever made.

Seungkwan blew lightly into his ear. "That," he said, his mouth a few centimetres from Vernon's ear. "And this," he whispered, much closer. Both puffs of air caused Vernon to shudder. So that's what this feeling was, Vernon realised. It was possibly the most sensual thing Vernon had ever experienced - little wonder it never failed to distract him whenever Seungkwan had done it.

Seungkwan placed his chin on Vernon's shoulder. "You really liked that, didn't you?" Seungkwan teased, a large grin gracing his features. Vernon swallowed and nodded stiffly. "Did I make you hard?" Seungkwan asked, voice only just audible.

Vernon shook his head. It wasn't a lie, exactly. He was definitely on the way, his pants suddenly having less room than they did. Seungkwan pouted. "Almost, though," Vernon admitted. Seungkwan's grip around his middle tightened.

Vernon turned red, remembering how close Jihoon was. He'd probably heard the whole exchange. Vernon looked around before noticing Jihoon was at the far end of the cafe, sweeping.

"It's a pity Jihoon's so about in the bathrooms," Seungkwan sighed, "or I'd give you a in a toilet stall." Vernon had to force a laugh. Despite sounding unhygienic, Vernon felt too by the thought of it than he felt comfortable with.

Seungkwan must've noticed, because he kissed Vernon's neck. "Like the idea of that, Vernonnie?" he asked, catching Vernon's skin in his teeth when Vernon didn't answer. Vernon moaned and pulled away.

"Please, Seungkwan, no more. I don't want to in my pants."

"Oh my god, I haven't ed in my pants in so long, Shua! Can you punish me that way next?" Junghan's voice rang through the cafe, bursting Vernon and Seungkwan's bubble. The two directed their attentions to the three who had just come in. "I'd like that a whole lot more than you not having with Cheol and I for a week."

Seungcheol messed his hair with his hand. "Angel, we talked about this. Joshua-"

"Just doesn't have as high a drive as I do, and I'm lucky you can keep up with me." Vernon recognized the words from Saturday afternoon at Seungcheol's. "But, he doesn't even watch or help out or anything. He just ignores us, studies at your coffee table, while we screw on the couch. It's like it doesn't even bother him." Junghan whined on his way to a table.

"Junghan, that's enough. I'll try join you more often, but my grades come first. I have assignments, and actually want to graduate." Joshua and Seungcheol sat down either side of Junghan.

"Shua! That's not fair - I'm passing everyth-"

"Yes, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said it, you're passing all of your classes, I know. I'm stressed and shouldn't have taken it out on you. I'll make more of an effort with you and Seungcheol. Pizza on me tonight."

"That sounded super rehearsed," Seungkwan muttered into Vernon's ear. Vernon nodded, it definitely did.

Junghan's eyes lit up. "Are you buying, or is the pizza literally going to be on you?"

Joshua smirked. "Whatever your filthy little mind desires, angel," he said the petname mockingly.

Seungcheol cleared his throat. "You shouldn't play with food." Vernon could tell he was trying not to imagine it.

Before the conversation could continue, Jihoon smacked Seungcheol around the back of the head. "You want money? Shut the up about your life. Especially in the damn cafe, I'm sick of you all whinging about it being the only thing I hear. Talk about in your own damn time, outside the bloody cafe. We get young kids in here, they don't need to hear that bull."

"Sorry, I didn't think. I'll make sure we keep conversation kid appropriate," Seungcheol apologised. After a moment, he looked Jihoon in the eye, lopsided grin on his face. "But you said something about money?"

Jihoon let out an amused noise and shook his head, a small smile ghosting his lips. "Yeah, you and your soulmates don't talk about in the cafe for a week, and I'll talk to the owner about hiring you as a cleaner. I'm sick of cleaning up Wonwoo and his soulmate's bodily fluids in the bathroom."

Seungcheol's grin turned wry. "I guess a job's better than no job."

Jihoon laughed. "I get it,  job, cleaner. Hilarious."

Junghan raised a hand, pouting slightly. "I don't understand why we can't discuss while no one else is here?"

"Because no one wants to hear it," Joshua stated, his eyes closed. He looked like he was giving up, praying to the heavens for patience.

Junghan shrugged. "Whatever, I won't talk about so freely, then."

Seungcheol chuckled and kissed Junghan. "Just not around other people, angel. That's all."

The cafe was silent for a few moments while everyone thought of something to talk about.

"Finally, I can get some peace and quiet around here," Jihoon muttered loudly enough for everyone to hear.

Noise only returned to the cafe when Mingyu and Dokyeom arrived, discussing universities and asking about the one Joshua and Junghan went to.

 

 

***

 

 

The week past by in a haze, moments separated into time spent with Seungkwan and time spent without.

"We've been boyfriends for a week and we still haven't gone on a date," Seungkwan said when Vernon opened his front door. Vernon stood aside so Seungkwan could come in, and waited while he took of his shoes.

"There aren't any carnivals around. Give me some time so I can figure out something else."

Seungkwan took Vernon's hand in his own and started towards Vernon's room. "It doesn't bother me, not really. I don't really care anymore as long as I'm with you." Seungkwan closed Vernon's door behind them, and pulled Vernon over to his bed. "Cuddle me."

Vernon chuckled, layind down on top of his covers, and Seungkwan settled in next to him.

"I'm really glad you only have a single bed," Seungkwan told Vernon as he layed down, tangling their limbs together.

"Why?" Vernon liked it because it meant he and Seungkwan had to very close or they wouldn't fit.

"I get be so close to you." Seungkwan nuzzled Vernon's cheek before pressing a kiss there. "I don't know what I'll do when I go back to Jeju to visit my family over the school holidays."

Vernon sighed. Was now a good time to broach the topic of what Seungkwan was going to after he graduated? He'd said something about working overseas!

"Seungkwan, can we have another serious talk?" Vernon asked cautiously.

Seungkwan nodded. "If you think we need to, we can."

Vernon cleared his throat. "I, uh, I was wondering about your plans for after graduation."

Seungkwan shrugged. "I don't have any. I have no idea what I want to do for the rest of my life, and I have ages to figure it out - I'm still only a teenager."

"You said something about working overseas. If you do, I want you know I'll wait for you to come back and send you messages and photos all the time."

Seungkwan moved so he felt like every inch of him was touching Vernon. "I might, I do want to travel, you know? It wouldn't be long, a couple months at the most before I came home. But, who plans on meeting their soulmate this early? I adore you, I really, really do. But I don't know who I am or what I want out of life. We'll have the rest of our lives together, we know that. So there isn't any harm in us spending time away from each other, is there?"

Vernon nodded. He understood where Seungkwan was coming from, now. "I adore you, too, Kwannie. I think I understand, and I know what you mean. We've got a special bond, and it's strong enough that distance can't break it. It'll be hell if you do go overseas - even you going back to Jeju will ."

"The next couple years'll no matter what. We've both got different interests. If I went to uni I'd probably study drama or literature or something like that, and you'd be studying some sort of science. We'd have different schedules, and turn into Junghan, Joshua, and Seungcheol. It sounds like all they do is study, have , and watch Seungcheol perform at clubs or whatever. I don't want that."

"But you'd be OK with being away from me for months at a time?" Vernon teased.

"Yes, because when I'm home with you it'd be constant cuddling, and talking, and cooking together, not just having or arguing about it."

Conversation turned to less serious topics, like what they'd been up to since the night at the cafe weeks ago, and how Seungkwan's family was doing.

"I knew we were soulmates a few days before Jun announced it - Jihoon told me Jun had let it slip while they working," Seungkwan mused.

Vernon stiffened. "Minghao told me a few days before too, didn't tell me, but he told me I had a match. With all those silly thing you'd made us do over the years, I figured out it you."

"Maybe Jun wanted to give us time to warm up to the idea? We weren't talking then, remember."

Vernon nodded. "Yeah, I remember. It was the most miserable time of my life."

Seungkwan sat up and looked down at Vernon. "Can we read through some more of that soulmate stuff? That you got from the specialist?"

Vernon agreed, and told Seungkwan which of his desk drawers it was all in. Seungkwan got off the bed and opened the correct drawer. He picked up a single A4 sheet of paper from the top.

He turned around, pink dusting his cheeks. "Vernon, is there something you want to talk about?"

Vernon crawled over to the end his bed to be able to see the piece of paper properly. Oh god no, how had that even turned up in that drawer? He'd put it in the drawer below that one.

Someone had been meddling in his room, trying go create exactly this situation. He thought he had a pretty good idea who it was, too.

 

 

===========

A/N:

Fun chapter? It was fun to write. Any guesses about the sheet of paper? Or who put it there? If you guess what the sheet of paper is, then you SHOULD be able to guess who moved it.

 

It seems a lot of you like the idea of side stories then a sequel. I would have written it all even if you all hated the idea, it's just encouraging to know other people want to read more of my writing. So, thanks for that.