Fifteen

Apple Initials and Thumbprint Soulmates

Monday morning found Vernon grumpy and irritable. He'd woken up at his normal time fine, a little buzzed as he remembered his date with Chan and realised he'd see the boy in a couple hours at school.

His mood dampened when he remembered Seungkwan's date and that dang hickey. Who even got worked up enough on a first date to leave hickeys? Definitely didn't sound like a straight guy on his first date with another guy. Then, when he and Joshua got to the cafe he saw Seungkwan sitting on the cash register counter chatting up a storm with Jihoon.

Vernon made his way over to the group's usual table and sat down. Strangely enough, Mingyu wasn't there. Jihoon must've picked up Seungkwan on his stupid scooter.

"What's got you in a foul mood this early?" Junghan asked after greeting Joshua with a kiss on the cheek.

Vernon shrugged bitterly. "Maybe men who prey on teenage boys to get their kicks. It's going to create a power struggle."

Junghan scoffed. "This sounds like a recent issue. Care to share?"

"Someone around here needs to learn that when a straight guy's suddenly interested, especially an older one, it probably means he just wants . He won't bottom. He won't look at you and love you. Even if he picks you up on his scooter, which is dangerous by the way, and lets you wrap your arms around him as you careen through the city - he just wants your tight little hole." Vernon found his voice raising with every word.

Seungkwan and Jihoon stopped talking, and Seungkwan glared at him, sitting up straight. For the first time that morning, Vernon saw Seungkwan's front. His top four buttons were undone, baring his hickeyto the world.

"That sounds strangely specific," Junghan noted.

"It is," Seungkwan called before Vernon could say something else. "But, someone else needs to learn he can't control everyone else to be what he wants them to be. I have to make mistakes, and I can make my own choices. Vernon, you suggested I date Jihoon. I've had one date, and now you think it's a bad idea?"

Vernon got up and stormed over to Seungkwan. He took a few deep breaths so he wouldn't shout in Seungkwan's face.

"I thought it was a bad idea since you told me he was straight. I think it's an even worse idea now that I see this." Vernon motioned towards all the hickeys. "How many are there, anyway?"

Seungkwan crossed his arms. "Three, or can't you count? It isn't that many."

"And I don't want Seungkwan for his 'tight little hole'. Seungkwan's already voiced that worry and I assured him he could stay a until he meets his soulmate like the wants to," Jihoon piped up.

"Sorry, but it sounds suspicious, doesn't it? Can't blame me for being worried about my best friend when he's suddenly got some older cree-"

"I think that's enough," a deep voice rang through the cafe. It had an icy edge to it that sounded dangerous. Vernon turned and saw a tall guy wearing ripped jeans, a sweater, and eyeliner standing just inside the cafe doors. Mingyu was standing next to the man.

"Wonwoo, what brings you here this early?" Jihoon asked. Vernon gulped and tried not to be intimidated. This guy looked mean and he knew Jihoon.

"There was a dog," Wonwoo shrugged.

"You're scared of dogs," Jihoon drawled, sounding unconvinced.

Wonwoo shifted. "I got bailed up in an alley taking a shortcut."

"By who? Do you remember what they looked like? I know people who can beat the sh-"

"An old lady was walking her dog when I saw him. A tiny dog, like a shi tzu or something," Mingyu cut into the conversation.

Jihoon cracked up laughing. "A shi tzu? Really? Still doesn't explain why you're here."

Wonwoo nodded. "I was dragged here by the biggest puppy in the world because we touched each orher where our marks are."

Junghan gasped. "Get them the kit!"

"His initials are even right! JW!" Mingyu exclaimed 

Something flew through air and Wonwoo caught it.

"I'm leaving, gonna catch up with Chan and Minghao before school starts. Bye," Vernon called, making his way to the cafe door. Mingyu moved out of the way as he took his shirt off. Vernon really didn't want to be around to witness what would happen if they were soulmates - even if they weren't.

They were looking at each other like they wanted to devour each other.

 

 

Vernon found Chan and Minghao dancing on the quad. When they stopped, heaving a little but not yet sweaty, Vernon clapped. Chan smiled abashedly and rubbed the back of his neck whilst Minghao did a couple b-boy moves.

Vernon pulled Chan towards him. "You're too cute," he playfully murmured to the younger boy.

"Some girls called me y one time."

Vernon looked Chan in the eye. "Really? You must've been performing." Chan nodded, smirking, and closed the gap between his mouth and Vernon's.

"I was," Chan muttered after he pulled away.

Vernon spent the time between then and the bell learning the first few steps to an old routine Chan had helped Soonyoung choreograph.

 

 

Seungkwan still arrived at Vernon's classroom a few minutes into lunch like normal, despite their argument earlier at the cafe.

"Vernon?" he asked hesitantly, standing at the doorway.

Vernon stopped his conversation with Chan midword. "Yeah, Seungkwan?"

"Can we talk privately? Just you and I?"

"Yeah, of course. Right now?" Vernon was already walking towards Seungkwan. His best friend came before anybody else.

Seungkwan nodded and led Vernon to one of the girls' toilets on the top floor.

"I can't go in there, it's a girls' toi-" Vernon stopped short. He remembered back about a week and a half ago, when he found out Seungkwan had been crying in there.

"Yes, you can. None of the girls use this one during lunch because it's so far from everywhere else."

"Why can't we use the guy's then?"

Seungkwan rolled his eyes. "The girls' restrooms are cleaner and smell nicer." And with that, Seungkwan dragged Vernon into the female's restroom.

Vernon had to give it to Seungkwan, he was (slightly) in awe. It really did smell better, and there wasn't pee on the floor.

Vernon remembered they were there to talk, and suddenly sobered. He had no idea where to start.

"I think you need to apologise for your remarks earlier at the cafe."

Well, it seemed Seungkwan had already planned how this chat would go.

"No, I meant them." Vernon could see the annoyance in Seungkwan's eyes. "I'm sorry for being so strong about them and voicing my opinions like I did."

Seungkwan seemed to relax at that. "I trust Jihoon."

"You trust lots of people."

Seungkwan sighed. "I just want a boyfriend! He's the first guy that's ever expressed interest in me and I like the attention. We've talked, Vernon. He likes me, not my body."

Vernon snorted. "Those hickeys say otherwise."

"These hickeys don't matter. I like them, they show he doesn't mind I'm a boy."

"So, are you two boyfriends?"

"No, but hopefully soon."

"You're easy."

"Vernon! We made out on our first date at the movies. If that makes me easy then yes, I'm easy! Don't you try shame me because he's older or whatever."

"I didn't say being easy was a bad thing. Just, two of your three hickeys looked like he would've needed to get your shirt off."

"Can we talk about something besides the hickeys please? I feel like they aren't the big problem."

Vernon nodded."OK. Do you want to know my biggest problem with all of this?" Seungkwan nodded. "I'm scared you won't hang out with me if Jihoon does become your boyfriend."

"Really?"

"Really."

Seungkwan smiled, his whole demeanor becoming brighter. "You'll still be my best friend."

Vernon felt a lot lighter. They left the bathroom and headed towards their usual spot at the staircase.

"What ended up happening between Mingyu and that guy?" Vernon asked as he sat down on a step once they reached the stairwell.

"Their marks matched each other's thumbprint, Mingyu called his mum, Mrs Kim booked an appointment with a thumbprint specialist, and the rest is as of yet unknown," Seungkwan explained.

"You two made up quicker than usual."

"Dokyeom, you weren't even there this morning. How'd you know we had an argument?"

Dokyeom grinned, his whole face lighting up. "Junghan texted me to warn me! He said your fight was really bad and to stay with Seungkwan because Vernon has a boyfriend to comfort him."

"I don't think I've told Junghan about Chan - who isn't my boyfriend, by the way." Vernon wondered, not for the first time, how Junghan knew everything.

About everyone.

Dokyeom and Seungkwan shrugged. There was a vibration sound and Seungkwan pulled his phone out of his pocket. "Mingyu's found his soulmate," he pouted.

"Aren't you supposed to be happy for him?" Vernon asked.

"Not when I haven't met mine yet!" Seungkwan humphed like a child.

"Don't you think it's strange how so many people we know have met they're soulmate in the last week or so?" Dokyeom asked out of no where, noodles falling out of his mouth.

Seungkwan and Vernon shrugged. "Hadn't really thought about it."

"Some things are just strange," Seungkwan sighed.

"So, what were you two fighting about this time?" Dokyeom asked eagerly after swallowing the last of his lunch.

"Something stupid," Seungkwan supplied. Venom was glad Seungkwan had answered so quickly, he had no idea how he would've responded if he'd had to.

Vernon realised he and Seungkwan hadn't eaten yet. He stood up with a groan and held a hand out to Seungkwan. "Lunch's probably going to be over soon and we haven't eaten yet." He pulled Seungkwan up. "I'll pay."

They headed towards the cafeteria. There weren't many options left, some rice, a couple kimbap rolls, some soup, a bunch of side dishes, and a few little tubs of low fat yoghurt. They got a little of everything to share between them.

"We really did make up quicker than we normally do," Seungkwan remarked as they carried the trays of food back to their spot.

"We usually do after big arguments. You know I can't swallow my pride easily so you seek me out," Vernon explained as they sat down next to Dokyeom.

They barely finished their food before the bell sounded.

 

 

===========

A/N:

This chapter's shorter than the recent ones because this felt like a good place to end it. 

 

Vernon got nasty, didn't he? See what happens when you won't admit you're jealous?