Thirty One

Apple Initials and Thumbprint Soulmates

Vernon was getting a little worried. Joshua hadn't talked to Junghan since their disagreement at the cafe, and it had been nearly a week. Vernon wasn't even sure if Joshua had talked to Seungcheol.

Vernon was sat on the couch, watching his younger sister and mother to set up the Christmas tree. Joshua wandered in and sat down next to Vernon.

"December first already?" he asked.

"Obviously." Vernon gestured towards the fake tree.

Joshua sank back into the couch. "Apparently Christmas is a couples thing here?" he asked.

Vernon nodded. "Yeah, couples go on dates and have and stuff." He noticed Joshua stiffen. "But, we celebrate Christmas like mum says they do in America; lots of food, presents, spending all day together watching bad Christmas movies."

Joshua nodded, looking a little apprehensive.

"You're welcome to join us, Joshua," Vernon's mum offered from the Christmas tree. "You can help us set up the tree if you want, too. We need another pair of hands since my eldest decided he was 'too old to find it interesting'."

Joshua went over and joined them, fishing a bauble out of the box of Christmas decorations.

"I'm just really bad at decorating things! Even dad complained the tree was ugly last time I tried to help!" Vernon protested.

"That's because it was," Sofia teased.

Vernon's mum shot her a look. "Oh, sweetie, we don't care if the tree's ugly. Your father was just teasing."

Vernon huffed and crossed his arms. "Well, it's boring, too."

Sofia looked offended. "Only because you at it!".

"Don't insult your brother, Sof," his mother berated.

"It's fine mum, I do . It doesn't hurt my feelings or whatever."

His mum looked up at him. "Whatever you say, sweetie."

Once the tree was decorated and Vernon was forced to put the angel on top crookedly ("If you aren't going to decorate the tree, you should at least do this, bro. You can't stuff it up!") he retreated to his room to do homework.

Joshua knocked at the door just as Vernon was scanning through his sheet of maths trying to find the easiest question to start off with.

"Wassup?" Vernon asked, turning in his chair to face the doorway.

"I'm just curious how things are going with Seungkwan," Joshua said, sounding way too casual about it for Vernon's liking.

"Good, why? You worried we'll take the throne of Most Functional Relationship or something from you, Junghan, and Seungcheol?"

Joshua laughed. "No, because that isn't a thing. Junghan and I'll get over our argument."

"It's been almost a week," Vernon reminded him.

Joshua shrugged. "So? Sometimes space is healthy. We're out of the honeymoon period, no big deal."

Vernon set down his pencil. "How long since you've seen Seungcheol?" he asked.

"Four days? I've been focussing on schoolwork because Junghan's always with him. Junghan's got a higher libido than a rabbit, I swear."

Vernon sighed. "You can help me plan a date with Seungkwan, if you want to take a break from schoolwork? He wants something like a carnival for our first date."

Joshua shook his head, his lips twisting into an entertained smirk. "You get to plan your date on your own. Any carnivals around?"

"I really don't think so, especially not with it being so cold. Maybe I could set up something similar? Like, find a place I could set up some carnival games, and set up things that imitate rides or something. What do you think?"

Joshua nodded his head, looking slightly surprised. "Yeah, Seungkwan would like that. Isn't it a super big project, though?"

Vernon considered it. He had to find a place to hire cheap or that'd let him use their space for free, he needed to think of games and prizes, and he had to set up things that were like rides.

"It'll be worth it. I have to show Seungkwan I like him. What would work better than something like this?" he found himself saying.

"Anything for , right?" Joshua joked.

Vernon shook his head. "Seungkwan and I are nowhere near , Josh."

"Really? Well, good for you two."

Vernon invited Joshua to come in. Josh sat on the end of Vernon's bed.

"What's bothering you, Josh? Apparently you and Junghan had a ... disagreement at the cafe?" Joshua nodded glumly. "Care to share?"

Joshua brought his legs up and tucked them underneath him, so he was sitting cross legged. "It's kind of personal. So, not with you. But I want to talk to someone."

Vernon knew the perfect person for Joshua to talk to. He stood up. "Text Seungcheol, let him know we'll be over."

"I have an assignment due soon, Vernon. I can't just drop everything," Joshua protested.

"When are you going to talk to someone, then? When'll you talk to Junghan? You guys usually communicate so well!"

Joshua flopped back onto Vernon's bed. "I feel like a teenager again. This is rubbish. Junghan and I are awful at communicating; we're just good at making it seem like we're good at it. We haven't really fought before. Vernon, help me."

"Me? Help you?"

Joshua groaned. "You and Seungkwan got over your issues. How do I talk to Junghan about what's bothering me?"

Vernon shrugged. "Talk?" he suggested.

"That's my problem! Junghan doesn't talk! He has and hopes everyone forgets about the issue. I don't want to have , and that's the issue!"

Vernon sat back down in his chair. That did sound like an issue. Vernon ran a hand threw his hair. "Maybe, talk about it with Seungcheol, then Seungcheol can talk to Junghan?"

Joshua sat up, determination set into his features. "That won't work. I'm going to finish my assignment, then go find Junghan and Seungcheol and make Junghan listen.

Joshua stood up, and walked out the room. "Thanks for the chat, Vernon. Have fun planning your date."

Vernon groaned and dropped his head onto his desk. The date would take ages to plan and set up, never mind the costs. Why did Seungkwan want a carnival of all things as their first date?

 

 

***

 

 

"Seungkwan?" Vernon called out. It was lunch, and Seungkwan had disappeared. The four of them had been joking around, and Vernon had said something about a model being attractive. A female model.

So, Vernon found himself outside one of the girls toilets, calling out for Seungkwan. How could he tell which girls toilet Seungkwan was even in?

Vernon knocked on the door. "Seungkwan? Are you in there?"

"Go away!" he heard Seungkwan call out. "I'm being stupid, just let me cry."

Vernon heard a couple of female voices, but couldn't make out what they were saying. He had to resist the urge to open the door and go in. He should be the one comforting his boyfriend and insulting himself for being an inconsiderate jerk or something, not a bunch of girls Seungkwan probably didn't even know.

But, if he was going to go into a girls restroom, he at least needed permission.

"Kwannie, I want to comfort you. Was it something I said?" Vernon heard a wail and felt something clamp around his heart. Screw permission.

Cautiously, Vernon opened the door a crack. "Kwannie, please. I'm sorry. I adore you, and I -"

He was interrupted by something being pelted through the crack at him. Startled, he stepped back, and someone on the other side slammed the door in his face.

Vernon looked down at his feet to see what had been thrown at him. It wasn't much smaller than his pinkie finger, and covered in bright plastic. What the hell was it?

The door opened again and a girl bent down to pick the small projectile up. "You can come in," she told him once she stood back up.

"But be warned, it's a girls toilet. There are plenty more tampons where that one came from." She stood aside to usher Vernon in.

Next to the sinks farthest from the door was Seungkwan. A group of four girls were thronged around him, wiping his tears, rubbing his back, and whispering to him.

Vernon wasn't sure what to say. What if hadn't been what he'd said that bothered Seungkwan? Wasn't it self important to think what he'd said had been the thing to bother Seungkwan?

"He's waiting," one of the girls bitterly said, a little box of what was apparently tampons in her hand.

Vernon felt slightly relieved. At least what he'd get thrown at him if he stuffed up was clean and not full of toilet bacteria or something.

He took a deep breath, he had to take responsibility for it, it didn't make sense for it to be anything else - Seungkwan had run off after he'd said he found a female model attractive.

"I'm sorry, I was inconsiderate. I shouldn't have said anything about finding some female model attractive - especially when I've got you."

Seungkwan sniffled. "That's not why I'm crying - not fully. I don't care if you find other people hot or whatever. We're human, I still think other people are hot. But..." He sniffled again, and a girl wiped his face with a wet wipe.

Vernon strode over to Seungkwan and kissed his forehead. "But what, Kwannie? C'mon, speak to me."

"But what if I'm not your type? I'm not as skinny as a model, I don't have s like a girl. How do I know you think I'm hot?"

Vernon chuckled and swiped a few of Seungkwan's tears away. "Haven't you ever felt my boners when we've made out? You know I've dreamed about you. And you've gotten me to in my jeans before," Vernon whispered into his ear.

Seungkwan nodded, and wiped away at his tears. "I told you I was being stupid."

"Kwannie, it's not stupid. I don't tell you I think you're hot; I just expect you to know. I'll start telling you more if you want."

Seungkwan nodded, his cheeks dusted a light pink, and a couple of the girls "aww"ed.

Vernon moved even closer, so they were pressed chest to chest. "So, is this our first fight, or..?" Vernon murmured into Seungkwan's ear, making sure to drop his voice an octave lower. He hoped Seungkwan knew what he was getting at.

Seungkwan blushed even harder and buried his face into Vernon's neck. "Vernon! We have class soon. We can't just go make out. And that was hardly an argument."

One of the girls cleared their throats. "Hello, boys? Yeah, girls toilet. Out you get." They all glared at Vernon. The girl that had spoken turned her gaze back to Seungkwan and her expression softened. "Bye, Seungkwan. If you ever need us, we're here for you."

Seungkwan nodded and thanked the girls, and they all crowded around him to give him a hug and affectionately mess his hair.

"So, after school - straight to mine today?" Seungkwan suggested after they'd left the bathroom and were on their way back to the stairs.

Vernon wrapped his arm around Seungkwan's waist. "Are we counting that as our first argument?"

"No, but we'll be able to make out and get off without worrying about your little sister. We'll have the house to ourselves for a few hours; Mr Kim'll be at work, there's a sale at Mrs Kim's favourite store this afternoon, and Mingyu'll be out on a date with Wonwoo or whatever those two do."

It was tempting, but Vernon still hadn't gotten anywhere with planning for his and Seungkwan's first date.

"You can watch me jerk myself off," Seungkwan added.

Vernon paused. Images of Seungkwan, holding himself, as he chased relief, raced through his mind. He had to swallow and take a moment before he could answer. "Yeah. Yeah, sure. But, um. Yeah, I'd like that."

Seungkwan bumped Vernon's hip playfully. "Really? I suggested it because I thought you'd hate it."

When the bell rang ten minutes later, Seungkwan pressed a kiss to Vernon's cheek and whispered "See you after school," into his ear.

 

"Wait, Seungkwan," Vernon interrupted later, as Seungkwan ped his jeans, "you look so, just. . Right now." Seungkwan grinned and bit his lip. That, coupled with Seungkwan's blown pupils and tousled hair, was making it very difficult for Vernon to say what he wanted to.

"But, I don't want to see you until you're sure I like you."

Seungkwan puffed out his cheeks, zipped up his pants, and placed his hands on his knees. "Really?"

Vernon nodded. "I adore you, honestly. I want you to know that before we go pulling out of pants."

Seungkwan shifted. "Why'd you wait this long? Instead of telling me at lunch when I said you could watch me, or even when we first got here?"

Vernon hesitated before answering, "I really want to watch you , Seungkwan. I told myself you wouldn't have offered unless you were comfortable with it, but I - I can't. I know these sorts of things mean a lot to you, and they mean a lot to me. So, I don't want to watch you jerk yourself off until you're sure I like you."

Seungkwan sighed before leaning forward and capturing Vernon's lips in a kiss. It was slow, and romantic, and comfortable.

And Vernon felt Seungkwan smiling into it.

"I know you said not to manipulate you, and that you didn't like it. But, this was a test. To help me see if you liked me or not. And, I found out you care about me more than you care about Vernon Jr."

Vernon couldn't find it in himself to be mad. If this was what it'd take for Seungkwan to start to realise Vernon really did like him, well, Vernon would go through it a million times if he had to.

"I understand you aren't going to believe me based on how many times I tell you I adore you. I get that you need me to prove it, and I'm OK with that. It's fine, I understand. I wish you'd believe me, but you don't." Vernon moved closer to Seungkwan and hugged him. "But, I'm working on proving it."

 

 

***

 

 

Why hadn't Vernon thought of using the cafe before?

Sometime over the past week and a half of planning, he'd enlisted the help of Minghao. Minghao had told Jun, and Jun had arranged with the owner of the cafe for Vernon to be able to use the cafe after it closed, as long as it was during the last half of December.

So, at the cafe he was. Jihoon had just closed it all down, leaving Vernon, Jun, and Minghao alone. (Vernon hadn't seen the owner leave yet, either, so he supposed he were still out back, too.)

"What have you got so far, Vernon?" Jun asked when Vernon pulled out the pieces of paper he'd written stuff down on.

"Nothing," Vernon replied. "I mean, like, we can buy cotton candy from a shop, right? As well as soft drink and stuff for like, hotdogs or burgers. So, food is easy. But, we need things that emulate rides."

"Why not just take him to an amusement park?" Minghao asked.

Vernon briefly wondered why he hadn't thought of that. "It'd be too cold for Seungkwan, he gets cold easier than I do. And lines get really long at amusement parks."

"I have an idea!" Jun clicked his fingers like detectives do in movies. "Polish the floor and you can have an ice skating rink!" he announced.

Vernon nodded and wrote it down. That was a good idea. And now he was having one if his own. "Would one of the small tables be able to support mine and Seungkwan's weight?"

Jun thought about it for a second. "Yeah, if they can support my boss and his boyfriend dancing on them, they can support you and Seungkwan. Why?"

"Then can we stick socks around the bottom of one's legs so we can slide it around the room? Like the teacup rides for kids?"

Jun nodded. "Yeah, of course."

"And, you could stick socks on the bottoms of chair legs for bumper cars," Minghao suggested.

Vernon nodded again as he wrote that down, too. "So, we've got rides. Games?"

The three bounced around ideas, Jun giving a mix between fairly logical and less than savoury ideas.

 

 

***

 

 

"It's our one month anniversary!" was the first thing Vernon heard on the morning of December twelfth. It was still dark when he felt his bed dip.

Vernon shoved his pillow over his head. "It's too early, the sun doesn't even want to be awake yet. Climb under the blanket and sleep," Vernon mumbled, more than half of his words mashing together.

Seungkwan whined. Vernon lifted a corner of his blanket to motion for Seungkwan to hurry up and climb in. Seungkwan giggled and complied.

"But seriously, Vernon. We've been boyfriends a whole month. We should do something."

Vernon shushed Seungkwan, and tried to ignore him listing off things they could do to celebrate. Seungkwan pulled Vernon's pillow off Vernon's face and stuck it under their heads, before continuing to rattle off activities.

"Kwannie, I adore you, but shut up. Humans shouldn't be awake before the sun - it's unnatural.'

Vernon felt Seungkwan wriggling around to get comfortable. "Fine, sleep. But, as soon as the sun rises I'm waking you up."

Vernon nodded and moved closer to Seungkwan so they could cuddle.

 

The next time Vernon woke up, it was to Seungkwan blowing air into his ear.

"Vernonnie, wake up," Seungkwan whispered.

Vernon grunted. "I'm awake."

"What do you want to do today?" Seungkwan asked.

"Can we," Vernon yawned, "stay here? Or at yours? I just want to cuddle. Nothing date-like; I've been planning our first date."

"Really?" Seungkwan gasped. Vernon nodded. "How far along are you?"

Vernon chuckled and brought a hand up to brush through Seungkwan's hair. "Almost done. Cafe next Saturday, about an hour after it closes - can you make it?"

Seungkwan nodded. "I most definitely can. Are you going to be all cute and pick me up?"

Vernon chuckled. "I'd love to, but it's going to be a big effort to set up, so Mingyu'll take you."

Seungkwan wriggled around and moved closer to Vernon. "Do you just want to go back to sleep?" He yawned. "I'm kind of tired."

Vernon kissed the top of Seungkwan's head. "Sure, no problem. But, how did you get inside that early?"

Seungkwan pressed kisses along Vernon's jawline before answering, "You're dad let me in. I arranged it with him yesterday when I left."

 

 

==========

A/N:

So, I've been thinking, and there are probably two more chapters left of this story. I feel like I'm coming to a good point to end it, and it's already gotten longer (much, much longer) than I intended it to be.

 

So, which set of soulmates did you guys want to read the side story of first? I'm tossing up between Junhao or Jungcheolshua.